Hall of FameHall of Fame  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp  chatChat
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Archive (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 Whyislam.org Forums : Archive : Archive
Message Icon Topic: Hijab Video Post Reply Post New Topic
Page  of 12 Next >>
Aviatrix  
Admin Group
Admin Group
WhyIslam Forum Moderator
Religion: Islam(Muslim)
Forum Rating: 123
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Aviatrix Replybullet Topic: Hijab Video
    Posted: 06 September 2006 at 1:03pm
This video isn't that long... it's in Spanish but it has subtitles. The video portion is from about 1 minute to 7 minutes, the rest is credits.

I'm curious what people think about it... Muslims and non-Muslims.

How about I actually post it, eh?

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=7799417014999410530&q=HIyab

Edited by Aviatrix - 06 September 2006 at 1:05pm
No Guest-Voting   IP IP Logged
hamayoun  
Super Mureed
Super Mureed
The Humble Muslim
Religion: Islam(Sunni)
Forum Rating: 0
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote hamayoun Replybullet Posted: 06 September 2006 at 1:05pm
Salam Amy

Um, where is it?
May Allah give me patience, Ameen.

My blog: http://regularbaba.blogspot.com/
hamayoun  
Super Mureed
Super Mureed
The Humble Muslim
Religion: Islam(Sunni)
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote hamayoun Replybullet Posted: 06 September 2006 at 1:15pm
Poigniant and sad.
May Allah give me patience, Ameen.

My blog: http://regularbaba.blogspot.com/
bayleaf  
Graduate
Graduate
Religion: Buddhism(Buddhism)
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote bayleaf Replybullet Posted: 06 September 2006 at 1:22pm
A few months back, I saw a sister working a nearby grocery store and she was wearing hijab.  However, the next time I went in there, she wasn't wearing it.  I wondered if customers had complained about her wearing it...or maybe just her managers felt uncomfortable with it.

It is sad.
Rhoda  
Mureed
Mureed
Religion: Agnostic(Agnostic)
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Rhoda Replybullet Posted: 06 September 2006 at 1:27pm
I thought it was ridiculously unreal.

First of all, teachers don't normally go around asking kids to GIVE IN to peer pressure.

Secondly, no one would give a rat's bottom if the kid wore her scarf unless it was a school where all head gear was prohibited.

The stares of the kids at a new student were supposed to indicate...what? They always stare at new kids.

I don't even know what the point was supposed to be, that little Muslim girls are treated unjustly in public schools? Get serious.

Straw man alert!
No matter how cynical you get, it is impossible to keep up. (Lily Tomlin)
scruggnut  
Mureed
Mureed
Religion: Unknown(Unknown)
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote scruggnut Replybullet Posted: 06 September 2006 at 1:35pm
Originally posted by bayleaf is home

A few months back, I saw a sister working a nearby grocery store and she was wearing hijab.  However, the next time I went in there, she wasn't wearing it.  I wondered if customers had complained about her wearing it...or maybe just her managers felt uncomfortable with it.

It is sad.
Or maybe, just maybe, she decided to take it off because she felt like it.

Waiting an eternity for an apology from one who never apologizes but always demands one.
Aviatrix  
Admin Group
Admin Group
WhyIslam Forum Moderator
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Aviatrix Replybullet Posted: 06 September 2006 at 1:40pm
Scrugg, the only reason for women to "feel like" taking off hijab--and you'll find this by talking to women who have taken it off--is because of the negative pressure associated with it. 
scruggnut  
Mureed
Mureed
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote scruggnut Replybullet Posted: 06 September 2006 at 1:48pm
Originally posted by Aviatrix

Scrugg, the only reason for women to "feel like" taking off hijab--and you'll find this by talking to women who have taken it off--is because of the negative pressure associated with it. 
I believe that, amy.  I only meant to imply that no one, other than herself, knows why she took it off, and assuming might not be the proper thing to do....but i would tend to agree with you that seems the most likely reason.

Waiting an eternity for an apology from one who never apologizes but always demands one.
Aviatrix  
Admin Group
Admin Group
WhyIslam Forum Moderator
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Aviatrix Replybullet Posted: 06 September 2006 at 1:50pm
I said the only reason. 
scruggnut  
Mureed
Mureed
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote scruggnut Replybullet Posted: 06 September 2006 at 1:59pm

Oh, well then. 

What if she left islam?  Wouldn't that be a reason to take of the hijab?

Nurani  
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Nurani Replybullet Posted: 06 September 2006 at 2:09pm
Originally posted by Rhoda

I thought it was ridiculously unreal.

First of all, teachers don't normally go around asking kids to GIVE IN to peer pressure.

Secondly, no one would give a rat's bottom if the kid wore her scarf unless it was a school where all head gear was prohibited.

The stares of the kids at a new student were supposed to indicate...what? They always stare at new kids.

I don't even know what the point was supposed to be, that little Muslim girls are treated unjustly in public schools? Get serious.

Straw man alert!

I would say that too like it should have been like a little more realistic, but things like these go on almost everywhere. But if it wasn't about the hijab and it was about something like a black kid going in a school full of white kids (as in a making of some kinda 5 min movie) people wouldn't care and would support that...I mean i heard some school lets the people wear it and others don't. I belive all kids get treated unfairly in public or private school like it a girl went to a catolic school and her parents were lesbein there are possible outcomes were people can get treated unfairly...They could make that little clip if they wanted to and i am glad they did....i guess its better for people muslim to see because it teaches that u have ur own choice and u have your freedom of rights and u should use it or else look at how you r gonna hurt ur self and your beiefs.
Don't mind my spelling...and please what it up with all these long posts!! I mean even everyones's typing is sooooooooo accurate!?!?
Aviatrix  
Admin Group
Admin Group
WhyIslam Forum Moderator
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Aviatrix Replybullet Posted: 06 September 2006 at 2:09pm
Perhaps, but we were making the assumption that she was still a Muslim. I was, anyway. So the only reason a Muslim would "feel like" taking it off... happy?
scruggnut  
Mureed
Mureed
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote scruggnut Replybullet Posted: 06 September 2006 at 2:14pm
Lol....i'm never happy.  There is always a loose end that needs tying up.
I'm not assuming anything....i think that anything is possible.
Aviatrix  
Admin Group
Admin Group
WhyIslam Forum Moderator
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Aviatrix Replybullet Posted: 06 September 2006 at 2:14pm
The problem in this case, Rhoda, was not that it was headgear--clearly other students were wearing hats and scarves and whatnot--but that her scarf was representative of her religion, and they didn't want that.

I thought most excrutiating was that the teacher suggested that suppressing of expressing freedom of religion actually destroyed that freedom. If they all dressed like their religion, she said. That is a demonstration of freedom, not a lack of it, and I don't think the freedom is enhanced by discouraging the free exercise thereof.

For my own part I don't know any teachers who would suggest that, but I don't doubt they exist, just like people with all sorts of different opinions exist. She was using any argument she could to convince the girl to take off the scarf. Why?
Page  of 12 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version