Hall of FameHall of Fame  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp  chatChat
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Archive (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 Whyislam.org Forums : Archive : Archive
Message Icon Topic: Little Mosque on the Prairie Post Reply Post New Topic
<< Prev Page  of 24 Next >>
Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Religion: Islam(Muslim)
Forum Rating: 159
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 08 February 2007 at 1:00am
What happenned today I wonder ?

Did they make it up after that open mosque disaster of last week?
Think Win-Win for a better world for all...

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

No Guest-Voting   IP IP Logged
Kent  
Graduate
Graduate
Religion: Christian(Protestant)
Forum Rating: 0
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Kent Replybullet Posted: 08 February 2007 at 1:15am
Hi It was about the issue of Muslim women swimming at a publcc pool and having a woman swimming instructor leading separate classes. And about conflicting personal/poltical agendas, among the other things. Te open mosque fire did come up. It was pretty good.

Edited by Kent - 08 February 2007 at 1:15am
Kent
Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 08 February 2007 at 6:48am
Thanks Kent

Will try to find it on youtube this weekend

How many episodes will it be?

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

4everHopeful  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Seeker of Paradise Administrator
Religion: Islam(Sunni)
Forum Rating: 129
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote 4everHopeful Replybullet Posted: 08 February 2007 at 7:18am
episode four.

I saw a clip for the start of the swimming pool scene. Not too impressed with it to be honest.

mollythedolly  
Undergraduate
Undergraduate
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote mollythedolly Replybullet Posted: 08 February 2007 at 11:06am
I find it somewhat funny and it has its odd moments of meaning full scenes but it leaves me wondering how much knowledge of Muslim culture the writers really have.  I mean REALLY what Imam would send kids out at hallowe'en calling it halal-oween.  It shows a real lack of understanding.  The scene where  babar loses it a little when people think he is dressed up and they give him lots of candy...  That rings true for the new immigrant since I watched many relatives get caught up in the joy of free candy and sugar fits...  but when they realize the roots of the holiday they quite participating and we wait for the candy to go on clearance and just buy some for the kids so they don't miss out on the sugar rush!   I'm a little annoyed with the portrayal of Yessirs wife!!  Anyone who has been married to a muslim long enough to have a practicing daughter of that age should be somewhat more knowledgeable about her adopted religion than that...  It would have been more reasonable to have had her as an agnostic or religiously unaffiliated with muslim leanings if she is going to be portrayed as that clueless!!   I think they are trying tooo hard to make up the zingers and losing the true humor in the culture.  You don't have to be a clown to make people laugh...    The swimming suit was funny though a little exaggeration on the truth is good...  we all go swimming in long  t shirts and nylon track pants that make good floatation devices, thats funny to see a bunch of muslim women trying to swim while the air in the pants moves from waist to feet and back again...  You can try to get it out but every time you get out of the water your pants load up with air again....
hannah114  
Mureed
Mureed
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote hannah114 Replybullet Posted: 08 February 2007 at 2:08pm
I agree about Yasir's wife, I did'nt even know she was muslim when I started watching the show. She does'nt seem to know much and seems to object to stuff that is Islamic or seems surprised like she never had a clue before. I guess the fact that her daughter dresses very Islamically and her mother  doesnt so much. The first episode she wore a skirt (which is fine) but her ankles were all showing and she wore high heeled sandals. maybe I'm just being to harsh. then again Yasir is'nt always strict himself since he can't keep his hands off her in public. oh well, I agree that they are just trying to find some laughs in the show and don't always adhere to Islamic principles. as long as the audience knows the difference between poking fun at steriotypes and making fun of Islamic beliefs, things should be ok. I think.
Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 08 February 2007 at 2:12pm
Next Wednesday IOL will have a live dialogue with the producer of Little Mosque, so if you have questions for her to answer, here is the link:

Producer Zarqa Nawaz is the creator of "Little Mosque on the Prairie," a new Canadian Broadcasting Corporation sitcom about a group of Muslims living in the prairie town of Mercy in Saskatchewan.

A Canadian Muslim originally from Pakistan, Nawaz is head of the production company FUNdamentalist Films, which produced her 2005 documentary "Me and the Mosque,"about the relationship of women to Islam.

In our dialogue with Nawaz, we will be focusing our discussion on the making, the themes, and the challenges surrounding her much-talked-about sitcom "Little Mosque on the Prairie".

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

4everHopeful  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Seeker of Paradise Administrator
Forum Rating: 129
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote 4everHopeful Replybullet Posted: 08 February 2007 at 2:30pm
Its SO aggravating!

Sorry

Kent  
Graduate
Graduate
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Kent Replybullet Posted: 08 February 2007 at 3:28pm
Originally posted by Al-Cordoby

Next Wednesday IOL will have a live dialogue with the producer of Little Mosque, so if you have questions for her to answer, here is the link:

Producer Zarqa Nawaz is the creator of "Little Mosque on the Prairie," a new Canadian Broadcasting Corporation sitcom about a group of Muslims living in the prairie town of Mercy in Saskatchewan. A Canadian Muslim originally from Pakistan, Nawaz is head of the production company FUNdamentalist Films, which produced her 2005 documentary "Me and the Mosque,"about the relationship of women to Islam. In our dialogue with Nawaz, we will be focusing our discussion on the making, the themes, and the challenges surrounding her much-talked-about sitcom [COLOR=#000099">"Little Mosque on the Prairie"[/COLOR">.
Thanks for the tip Al-Cordoby. Hope it doesn't conflict with the show.

Edited by Kent - 08 February 2007 at 3:28pm
Kent
Kent  
Graduate
Graduate
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Kent Replybullet Posted: 08 February 2007 at 3:31pm
Originally posted by UmmZakariah

Its SO aggravating!Sorry
I guess I don't blame you for feeling that way, but it IS a satire. And I think it does a pretty good job at poking fun at stereotypes and dealing with issues. But obviously it's not for everybody.
Kent
Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 10 February 2007 at 8:06am
Originally posted by Kent

[QUOTE=Al-Cordoby] Next Wednesday IOL will have a live dialogue with the producer of Little Mosque, so if you have questions for her to answer, here is the link:  

Thanks for the tip Al-Cordoby. Hope it doesn't conflict with the show.

It won't, don't worry Kent, so get your questions ready !

I'll post the transcripts when the session ends

Episode 4 was ok, except for a few minutes

Episode 1 was (imo) still the best.

How many episodes are they?

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Kent  
Graduate
Graduate
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Kent Replybullet Posted: 10 February 2007 at 8:43am
Hi back and Salaams I think there will be 9 this season. More next year if it lasts.
Kent
David A.  

Religion: Christian(Non-Denom.)
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote David A. Replybullet Posted: 10 February 2007 at 3:36pm
I believe there are 8 shows, but I could be wrong on that.  The ratings for the last show went up again to 1.2 million, so the show has settled in at over 1 million viewers per episode.  For comparisonís sake, Canada has about 1/9th the population of the US, so 1.2 million viewers in Canada would translate to about 11 million viewers in the US.  The top rated comedy in Canada draws about 1.5 million viewers per episode so this show is doing very well very early on.  Itís also worth noting that the CBC replays the show in prime time on the following Monday, and that replay is drawing close to half a million viewers.  Some of those will be repeat viewers, but any way you look at it LMOTP is one of the most watched comedies in Canada right now, and itís numbers seem to have stabilized.  I donít think thereís any doubt that the CBC will order a full season next year and you can bet it will show up on US television somewhere too, on PBS at the very least.  PBS has done well with the Red Green Show so they have successfully run Canadian comedies before.

Those of you who are uncomfortable with parts of this show should try to remember that it is not supposed to be about an ideal Muslim community.  It is about just the opposite, in fact, a small mosque community made up of people from a wide variety of different backgrounds situated in a small town which is also made up of a wide variety of different people from different backgrounds.  This creates all kinds of different clashes between many different cultures, and itís the clash and the working out of the clash that creates the comedy and the story.  Also note that the Canadian office of CAIR consulted on the show and approve it.  Here are a couple of CNN interviews on the show.   
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1QJuCC7FCFE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-uT-StoCB7k

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 11 February 2007 at 12:46am
Originally posted by David.

Those of you who are uncomfortable with parts of this show should try to remember that it is not supposed to be about an ideal Muslim community.  It is about just the opposite, in fact, a small mosque community made up of people from a wide variety of different backgrounds situated in a small town which is also made up of a wide variety of different people from different backgrounds.  This creates all kinds of different clashes between many different cultures, and itís the clash and the working out of the clash that creates the comedy and the story.  Also note that the Canadian office of CAIR consulted on the show and approve it.  Here are a couple of CNN interviews on the show. 

I think you're right there David

But as Muslims were hoping that it would help get rid of some of the negative stereotypes about Islam and Muslims, some aspects go a bit too far

But generally-speaking (imo) it is a positive step forward, and it's great that it has such a wide audience

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

<< Prev Page  of 24 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version