Hall of FameHall of Fame  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp  chatChat
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Archive (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 Whyislam.org Forums : Archive : Archive
Message Icon Topic: Little Mosque on the Prairie Post Reply Post New Topic
<< Prev Page  of 24 Next >>
David A.  

Religion: Christian(Non-Denom.)
Forum Rating: 0
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote David A. Replybullet Posted: 11 February 2007 at 3:07am
I think it does do that, though.  Which stereotypes do you think it perpetuates?

Stereotypes exist because at least some members of a certain group of people behave in a certain way, and the stereotypical characters help to create the conflict, and comedy, that later gets worked out, so I think you have to expect that many of the characters in this show, both Muslim and non-Muslim, will look on at least one level like stereotypes.  I was born and raised in the city that the show is shot in, Regina Saskatchewan, and I know very well the kind of small town that the show is supposed to be set in, and I can tell you that the non-Mulsims in this show are exaggerated stereotypes as well, but they also contain enough truth to be able to hit home with some of the points that are made, while still being exaggerated enough so that not too many people will take them as personally insulting, imo.  Nobody is going to call a terrorist hotline when they see a group of Muslims praying, for example, but some will feel uncomfortable and uneasy just because what they are seeing is so foreign to them and all they know about Muslims is that they see them on CNN full of anger and shouting and firing their AK-47s in the air.  This show humanises Muslims while still showing a character like Baber who is ignorant and intolerant in his own way.  In that you can see the seeds of extremism, but you can also see a human condition that is no different than that which afflicts non-Muslims as well.  On the one side we have Baber and his comments about white people and infidels, and on the other we have the Glen Beck style radio host who uses terms like Johnny Jihad and calls Muslims terrorists.  I think they are two sides of the same coin, and I suspect that weíll begin to see depth and movement in both of their characters as the show moves along.  

Interestingly, as Iíve been reading blogs that are commenting on the show Iíve found that some groups see the stereotypes on one side while others see the stereotypes on the other side.  If they all keep watching the show hopefully they will come to see the stereotypes on both sides, and come to see the humans beings behind the stereotypes.  

No Guest-Voting   IP IP Logged
Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Religion: Islam(Muslim)
Forum Rating: 159
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 11 February 2007 at 2:23pm
It seems even Baber became popular last episode as he joined the Halloween when they thought him disguised as a Taliban

I must admit, though he says very extreme things, but he can be very funny, and the contrast as you say between personalities is interesting

The swimming pool episode was below average (imo), and bearing in mind that there is a large Muslim audience for the show I think it would be wise of the producers to reduce such scenes which are not really necessary

In general it is a positive show so far, lets hope it matures further with time
Think Win-Win for a better world for all...

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

David A.  

Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote David A. Replybullet Posted: 11 February 2007 at 11:14pm
People like Baber exist in every group of people, though, and I think the way heís portrayed humanizes him more than anything.  Heís essentially a Muslim redneck, and although the stereotype is very much overdone, we certainly do have our share of the more typical variety of redneck around here too.  Maybe this show can help each side gain more insight into the less positive aspects of the other side too, and see that they are actually quite familiar and common human problems, and that they arenít so threatening after all.

On the audience for the show, there are 33 million people in Canada, and although the Muslim minority is one of the fastest growing segments of the population, there are only about 750,000 Muslims in Canada.  Iím sure a lot of them watch the show, but a lot may still only amount to half of them, which would mean that 2/3 of the people watching the show are non-Muslims.  

Iím interested in what your concerns were about the swimsuit show, from a Muslim perspective, if you donít mind discussing it.  From a non-Muslim point of view I thought it presented an interesting dilemma, and it also touched on the Muslim practice of covering up, which is a little complicated for non-Muslims to understand.  I went to school with a large number of Muslims and was good friends with many of them, so I know some of these things, but Iím still not clear on others.  I had female, Arabic, Muslim, friends from Cairo who dressed modestly but who didnít wear a hijab.  I believe they shook hands with men as well.  Iím sure I would have noticed if they didnít.  They prayed 5 times a day and observed Ramadan, but their dress wasnít any different than moderately conservative western business wear.  They didnít wear much makeup, though, if any, but I have noticed other Muslim women who do wear hijabs but who do wear makeup as well.  Iíve also seen Muslim women in fairly close fitting clothes and makeup, but also wearing a hijab.  I know enough about Muslims to know that these are essentially cultural differences, and that the cultural differences between different groups of Muslims can be as great as the cultural differences between different groups of Christians, but Iím not sure that thatís common knowledge.  I suspect thatís part of the reason Zarqa Nawaz has the Muslims in LMOTP looking so different from one another.  
Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 12 February 2007 at 12:43am
Hello David:

Yes there are various types of dresses and outfits out there, a wide variety. The advice I had regarding the swimming  episode is related also to other previous episodes where for example Yaser kisses his wife in public, or similar scenes.

The recommendation for the new season would be to reduce that type of scenes as the message it conveys to Canadian Muslims is that if you want to be accepted in Canada then you should do the same and be "liberal".

I think that would be the wrong message to send from LMOTP

Yes, these types of dilemma do exist, and had Yasser's wife been more concerned on the well-being of her daughter and other Muslims she would not have given preference to her trip to China over the petition

Canada has both liberal Muslims and mainstream Muslims, and it would be nice to see a balanced message which caters for both and doesn't end up saying that only "liberal" Muslims are welcomed, but that also moderate mainstream Muslims can cope and adapt

I have a feeling that the new Imam right now represents liberal Muslims

Between him and Baber there is a middle ground, and Yasser's daughter may right now seem to be the best representative of moderate mainstream Islam who is well-integrated in society and has a good balance between being Muslim and being Canadian

Will that change when she marries the new Imam ?

I hope not but we'll have to wait and see ...

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

hannah114  
Mureed
Mureed
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote hannah114 Replybullet Posted: 12 February 2007 at 2:36am
how do I find the most recent episode on YouTube? anyone have a link?

I work tomorrow so I will miss the repeat of this episode.

Edited by hannah114 - 12 February 2007 at 2:36am
Jason113  
Sophmore Member
Sophmore Member
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Jason113 Replybullet Posted: 12 February 2007 at 5:13am
A redneck Muslim???

It could happen...i'm sure that we've all seen stranger things in life.
Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 12 February 2007 at 6:50am
Originally posted by hannah114

Assalamo Alaikom

I normally find the most recent episode over the weekend by searching for Little Mosque on Youtube

Did you watch episode 4?

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

hannah114  
Mureed
Mureed
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote hannah114 Replybullet Posted: 13 February 2007 at 1:09am
Originally posted by Al-Cordoby

Originally posted by hannah114

Assalamo Alaikom

I normally find the most recent episode over the weekend by searching for Little Mosque on Youtube

Did you watch episode 4?

I missed the episode from last Wednesday and the same repeat episode that is usually on today. I guess that was episode 4......
Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 13 February 2007 at 1:21am
Yes. Here it is:

Edit: Change of link 

Edited by Al-Cordoby - 13 February 2007 at 2:22am

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

hannah114  
Mureed
Mureed
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote hannah114 Replybullet Posted: 13 February 2007 at 2:18am

Yes. Here it is:

(Warning for Brothers: Don't watch the swimming pool scene - You can listen to that instead, which is only a minute or 2)

thanks brother!!!
Jason113  
Sophmore Member
Sophmore Member
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Jason113 Replybullet Posted: 13 February 2007 at 2:22am
I'm waiting for the next episode as it deals with a convert.
MedGirl
Mureed
Mureed
Religion: Unknown(Unknown)
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote MedGirl Replybullet Posted: 13 February 2007 at 2:41am
Baber is my favorite character so far.
David A.  

Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote David A. Replybullet Posted: 14 February 2007 at 1:04am

Hello David:

Yes there are various types of dresses and outfits out there, a wide variety. The advice I had regarding the swimming  episode is related also to other previous episodes where for example Yaser kisses his wife in public, or similar scenes.

The recommendation for the new season would be to reduce that type of scenes as the message it conveys to Canadian Muslims is that if you want to be accepted in Canada then you should do the same and be "liberal".

I think that would be the wrong message to send from LMOTP

Yes, these types of dilemma do exist, and had Yasser's wife been more concerned on the well-being of her daughter and other Muslims she would not have given preference to her trip to China over the petition

Canada has both liberal Muslims and mainstream Muslims, and it would be nice to see a balanced message which caters for both and doesn't end up saying that only "liberal" Muslims are welcomed, but that also moderate mainstream Muslims can cope and adapt

I have a feeling that the new Imam right now represents liberal Muslims

Between him and Baber there is a middle ground, and Yasser's daughter may right now seem to be the best representative of moderate mainstream Islam who is well-integrated in society and has a good balance between being Muslim and being Canadian

Will that change when she marries the new Imam ?

I hope not but we'll have to wait and see ...

My guess, and itís just a guess, is that Amaar and Rayyan wonít get married any time soon.  Having a situation like that hanging and keeping people guessing is fairly common in North American television. 

On the characters, I guess Baber would be the most conservative, but Fatima is quite conservative too, wouldnít you say?  She was ok with her child going out on Halloween, but thatís kind of a separate issue, isnít it?* Amaar is liberal in some ways, but he supported the wall for half of the mosque, and he placed restrictions on Halloween.  Zarqa herself is very much against the walls, so I suspect that she sees Amaar as being somewhere in the middle.  Rayyan is in the middle too, but her issues seem to be different than Amaarís so even the middle isnít a clearly defined space.  (Perhaps the message there is that Muslims are individuals and that there arenít any neat and tidy conservative/moderate/liberal divisions?) The other Hamoudis are quite liberal though.  Sarah seems Muslim in not much more than name, and Yassir is a businessman first and foremost, and a more of a Muslim because itís his social group, it would seem. 

*Halloween is an issue for Christians too, btw, but I think itís more of a personal thing than a conservative vs. liberal thing.  The question boils down to whether or not the original meaning of something says with it.  The Star Spangled Banner is set to the music of an old drinking song, for example.  Does that mean that anyone who sings it is supporting drinking?  Or, has the meaning changed and does it now have nothing to do with drinking?  Many people feel that Halloween today has nothing to do with its origins and is now a North American tradition with a different meaning, but some still feel that it still has some connection with the pagan ritual it used to be, so it tends to depend on how the individual sees it. 

David A.  

Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote David A. Replybullet Posted: 14 February 2007 at 1:12am
Originally posted by Jason113

A redneck Muslim???

It could happen...i'm sure that we've all seen stranger things in life.

I was saying that Baber is essentially a Muslim redneck.  He is ignorant and intolerant of cultures other than his own, which is pretty close to the definition of a redneck. 

<< Prev Page  of 24 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version