Hall of FameHall of Fame  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp  chatChat
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
InterReligious Dialogue
 Whyislam.org Forums : General : InterReligious Dialogue
Message Icon Topic: Flesh of swine(Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post Reply Post New Topic
<< Prev Page  of 19 Next >>
hamayoun  
Super Mureed
Super Mureed
The Humble Muslim
Religion: Islam(Sunni)
Forum Rating: 0
bullet Posted: 27 March 2008 at 6:09pm
Well, thsi is what Mad Cat said:

I understand what you are saying but I just think ‘We don't question the order. We just obey.’ is very dangerous.

And this is totally relevant to the OP, which is basically saying 'If the OT says dont eat pork, why do you eat it'?  Because as muslims, we don't eat pork because the Quran says so.
May Allah give me patience, Ameen.

My blog: http://regularbaba.blogspot.com/
No Guest-Voting   IP IP Logged
hamayoun  
Super Mureed
Super Mureed
The Humble Muslim
bullet Posted: 27 March 2008 at 6:15pm
Ok

So if muslims claim that the only reason they don't eat port is not because of hygeine or anything else, but out of a desire to please and obey God, then why can't Christians do the same?  THAT is what the OP was about, and subsequent replies.  And MC then claimed that obeying God just for the sake of obeying God is dangerous.  So where do Christians draw the line?  When do you obey God's commands, and when do you feel it's ok not to obey them?
May Allah give me patience, Ameen.

My blog: http://regularbaba.blogspot.com/
Bill2702  
Super Mureed
Super Mureed
Golly goo deaf hello
Religion: Unknown(Unknown)
bullet Posted: 27 March 2008 at 6:22pm
This thread is so boring and is going nowhere.
Anything free is worth what you pay for it.
Misbah  
Super Mureed
Super Mureed
Forum Rating: 103
bullet Posted: 27 March 2008 at 6:23pm
Great question ^ and so true. When do you obey God's commands, and when do you feel it's ok not to obey them?

(I mean Hamayouns post 'BEFORE' Billy decided to post before me)!!!

Edited by Misbah - 27 March 2008 at 6:24pm
"Don’t be so humble - you ain't that great."
Bill2702  
Super Mureed
Super Mureed
Golly goo deaf hello
bullet Posted: 27 March 2008 at 6:34pm
Look!

Muslims don't eat pork,  because they believe god told them not to. Cool, I can live with that.  The rest of humanity has a different opinion. The OP was just a ploy to accuse another section of humanity of disobeying God. Some people call it Christian bashing.

Me, I call it typical.

Edited by Bill2702 - 27 March 2008 at 6:35pm
MedGirl
Mureed
Mureed
bullet Posted: 27 March 2008 at 6:38pm
Originally posted by Bill2702

Look!

Muslims don't eat pork,  because they believe god told them not to. Cool, I can live with that.  The rest of humanity has a different opinion. The OP was just a ploy to accuse another section of humanity of disobeying God. Some people call it Christian bashing.

Me, I call it typical.

The reason the thread started was because the Bible forbids pork too, its not only in the Quran.
M.A.R.W.A.N
Mureed
Mureed
Dragon rescuer, Virgin slayer.
Forum Rating: 134
bullet Posted: 27 March 2008 at 6:45pm
AFAIK, Traveller does not Christian bash - I am witness to that
LtTony  
Mureed
Mureed
Religion: Christian(Catholic)
bullet Posted: 27 March 2008 at 6:49pm

The reason the thread started was because the Bible forbids pork too, its not only in the Quran.

The Koran maybe, but not the New Testament of the Bible ( per Christ and the Apostles).  Please review the previous links, threads and religious sites that provide information on it.
"“We love death. The US loves life. That is the difference between us two.” Osama Bin Laden
Bill2702  
Super Mureed
Super Mureed
Golly goo deaf hello
bullet Posted: 27 March 2008 at 6:51pm
Originally posted by MedGirl

Originally posted by Bill2702

Look!

Me, I call it typical.

Hi Medgirl,

It was to make the point that another section of society was failing in it's obligations to God, with the implication that Islam was not.

LtTony  
Mureed
Mureed
bullet Posted: 27 March 2008 at 6:55pm
Originally posted by hamayoun

Ok

So if muslims claim that the only reason they don't eat port is not because of hygeine or anything else, but out of a desire to please and obey God, then why can't Christians do the same?  THAT is what the OP was about, and subsequent replies.  And MC then claimed that obeying God just for the sake of obeying God is dangerous.  So where do Christians draw the line?  When do you obey God's commands, and when do you feel it's ok not to obey them?

"why can't Christians do the same?"  They can.  They are not just compelled to.  But they run the risk of falling into the same trap the pharisees did, that Christ criticized, IMO.

"And MC then claimed that obeying God just for the sake of obeying God is dangerous.  So where do Christians draw the line?"  I think MC was speaking about blindly following, without any context or knowledge; that sort of thing could lead to incorrect interpretation that we see in both faiths.
Where do christian's draw the line?  We attempt to follow the commands -- which are pretty simple -- and leave the rest to God.  We attempt to follow all the commands.  Christian doctrine does not parallel Islamic doctrine, however. 

Edited by LtTony - 27 March 2008 at 6:57pm
"“We love death. The US loves life. That is the difference between us two.” Osama Bin Laden
jamilahz  
Graduate
Graduate
in exile
Religion: Islam(Muslim)
bullet Posted: 27 March 2008 at 7:07pm
Originally posted by LtTony

The Koran maybe, but not the New Testament of the Bible ( per Christ and the Apostles).  Please review the previous links, threads and religious sites that provide information on it.

Is the new testament all you follow?
www.hudastore.com

www.theoneislam.com
LtTony  
Mureed
Mureed
bullet Posted: 27 March 2008 at 7:16pm

"Is the new testament all you follow?"

I apologize, but I don't have time to give you a lesson in Christianity.  Links provided earlier should answer your question; please take the opportunity to read them.  I would also encourage you to search this very forum for discussions on OT and NT in christianity.  Bottom line:  OT is, among other things, Old Covenant (Jews); NT is New Covenant (Christians).  I'll try to provide more info later.

Edited by LtTony - 27 March 2008 at 7:17pm
Mad Cat  
Graduate
Graduate
Religion: Christian(Non-Denom.)
bullet Posted: 27 March 2008 at 7:19pm

Originally posted by Med Girl

Just wondering, how is it dangerous when we have that kind of mindset for God's orders?

Like someone mentioned earlier, this mindset does conflict with the idea that Islam is logical.

The reason it is dangerous is because the Quran can lend itself to dangerous (mis)interpretation quite easily. You could say the same of the Bible but my point it that you should question what you read (Test everything. Hold on to the good. 1 Thessalonians 5:2). This is not to question God necessarily but to understand Him better. He sent revelations so we could know Him better after all.

I believe in a loving God who I motivated by what is best for us when He commands stuff. What does it mean when a God commands you to do stuff for no reason?

Originally posted by Kad

Read 2:67-73 of the Qur'an. We're taught that when God commands something (like don't eat pork) then we should say we hear and obey, rather than trying to outsmart Him by coming up with excuses for not following.

You can call it that if you like but things are never that simple. The Qur’an says plenty of things that seem very straight forward, blunt and clear but when I have questioned them people have come back saying ‘you are not reading it in context’ or ‘you have to read the hadith to understand that properly’ or ‘you just don’t understand Arabic’. These answers are the result of people taking what seems like a clear passage and thinking about it to come to a different conclusion.

I don’t understand what you are getting at with 67-73.

The questions I raised about the eating of pork and other animals was because of the reasons given for not eating pork. If pork was the only meat like this then so be it but it is not, so what of the others.
Test everything. Hold on to the good. 1 Thessalonians 5:21
jamilahz  
Graduate
Graduate
in exile
Religion: Islam(Muslim)
bullet Posted: 27 March 2008 at 7:30pm
Originally posted by LtTony

"Is the new testament all you follow?"

I apologize, but I don't have time to give you a lesson in Christianity.  Links provided earlier should answer your question; please take the opportunity to read them.  I would also encourage you to search this very forum for discussions on OT and NT in christianity.  Bottom line:  OT is, among other things, Old Covenant (Jews); NT is New Covenant (Christians).  I'll try to provide more info later.

lol.. sorry to take your time..... the drama of it all! I've read most of the links and it still does not make sense.  I was a Christian once and I didn't understand it then either.  What I do know is that Jesus himself said he did not come to change the law...

If you want to eat pork eat it.... but there really does not seem to be any proof that it was made allowable in the NT.
www.hudastore.com

www.theoneislam.com
<< Prev Page  of 19 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version