Hall of FameHall of Fame  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp  chatChat
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
InterReligious Dialogue
 Whyislam.org Forums : General : InterReligious Dialogue
Message Icon Topic: Flesh of swine(Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post Reply Post New Topic
<< Prev Page  of 19 Next >>
jamilahz  
Graduate
Graduate
in exile
Religion: Islam(Muslim)
Forum Rating: 0
bullet Posted: 28 March 2008 at 10:29am
Originally posted by Traveller

Originally posted by LtTony

Let me phrase it this way -- with all due respect:  The Islamic prohibition against pork IS NOT the word of God.  It is a matter of opinion.  Just as it is for christian doctrine.

Huh! Am I missing something?

Yeah, I'm with you on the 'huh'.  LT... how can you say its not the word of God?  The ISLAMIC prohibition is clear in the Quran.  Which, if you hadn't noticed Muslim believe is the word of God.
www.hudastore.com

www.theoneislam.com
No Guest-Voting   IP IP Logged
Mad Cat  
Graduate
Graduate
Religion: Christian(Non-Denom.)
bullet Posted: 28 March 2008 at 10:57am

And (remember) when Műsa (Moses) said to his people:...

Traveller, it wasn’t so much that I couldn’t find the above passage but rather I don’t understand the relevance to the thread. What is the lesson learned from this passage?

Test everything. Hold on to the good. 1 Thessalonians 5:21
LtTony  
Mureed
Mureed
Religion: Christian(Catholic)
bullet Posted: 28 March 2008 at 12:37pm
Originally posted by jamilahz

Originally posted by LtTony

Let me phrase it this way -- with all due respect:  The Islamic prohibition against pork IS NOT the word of God.  It is a matter of opinion.  Just as it is for christian doctrine.

Huh! Am I missing something? 

Yeah, I'm with you on the 'huh'.  LT... how can you say its not the word of God?  The ISLAMIC prohibition is clear in the Quran.  Which, if you hadn't noticed Muslim believe is the word of God.

I'm saying that many of us don't believe the Koran is the word of God, and to project the pork prohibition on us is nonsense.  Your belief that it is the word of God and our belief that it isn't are opinions that we are each entitled to hold.

Edited by LtTony - 28 March 2008 at 12:39pm
"“We love death. The US loves life. That is the difference between us two.” Osama Bin Laden
jamilahz  
Graduate
Graduate
in exile
bullet Posted: 28 March 2008 at 12:43pm
LT

Can I ask you a favor.. just for me, can you spell it with a Q - Qur'an.. please?

Its not a matter of opinion with us... we know that it is the words of Allah swt.  If your own personal faith lets you believe that Christian doctrine is a matter of opinion than feel free to think that.
www.hudastore.com

www.theoneislam.com
LtTony  
Mureed
Mureed
bullet Posted: 28 March 2008 at 1:06pm

I will make every attempt to do that.

I understand your faith is not an "opinion" to yourself; me neither.  I personally just try to look at it that way when interacting with people of another faith.
"“We love death. The US loves life. That is the difference between us two.” Osama Bin Laden
LtTony  
Mureed
Mureed
bullet Posted: 28 March 2008 at 1:13pm

Can I ask you a favor, jamilahz?
jamilahz  
Graduate
Graduate
in exile
bullet Posted: 28 March 2008 at 1:26pm
Sure...but I warn you, I'm a horrible cook so no food requests.
www.hudastore.com

www.theoneislam.com
LtTony  
Mureed
Mureed
bullet Posted: 28 March 2008 at 2:00pm

Well, I had no intention of asking for a recipe for baby back ribs.... LOL.

Ask all the questions you want (about christianity), talk up your religion all you want, obviously.  But --- how can I phrase this --- try not to tell christians they've got christianity wrong.  Disagreeing with it, and leaving it at that, is fine.  I hope my request doesn't sound unreasonable, because it is not meant to be that way or limit discussion.
jamilahz  
Graduate
Graduate
in exile
bullet Posted: 28 March 2008 at 2:08pm
Any questions I ask are to get people to think.. I came to Islam because I found major faults in Christian doctrine.  In fact I've learned more about my old religion since I reverted... than I knew before.  
www.hudastore.com

www.theoneislam.com
algebra
Graduate
Graduate
Religion: Other(Other)
bullet Posted: 28 March 2008 at 2:15pm
All this is just a waste of time. To understand the context of the prohibitions you must understand the context of the Law.

Here it is.

The reward in judaism for being 'good' is to have a 'good' life. And if after that you dont have a good life, you get a second chance through 'reincarnation'.

Moses and the rabbis before him believed that not living a good life got you cursed by G_D. Disease was one of the curses of G_D.
Anything you did that would lead to your death was a curse from G_D.

Death being the consequence of 'sin' (as christians love to emphasize)
The consequence was being cursed by G_D.

Hence the laws from 'G_D' evolved through the observations of the rabbis.

This does not mean the laws are not from G_D, after all in the jewish understanding the rabbis understanding of life was 'divinely' inspired.

In other words the rabbi was allowed (divinely inspired) by G_D to realise that eating certain foods in certain ways kept the population healthy.

algebra
Graduate
Graduate
Religion: Other(Other)
bullet Posted: 28 March 2008 at 2:21pm
In the context of all religions today, it is apparent that there is no apparent 'curse' from G_D for eating pork.

Indeed japanese people that eat pork on a daily basis outlive any semitic people (jews or arabs).

Bottom line this law is redundant today. (as muslims love to emphasize its a bad idea to do something just because your ancestors did it)

And this applies as much to jews as to muslims.

LtTony  
Mureed
Mureed
bullet Posted: 28 March 2008 at 2:22pm
Originally posted by jamilahz

In fact I've learned more about my old religion since I reverted... than I knew before.  

Interesting you would say that.  Probably the basis for why so many here seem to say christians have christianity wrong.  It appears to be a significant tenet of Islam.  I guess I'm asking to just temper that urge a bit.  Thanks.
jamilahz  
Graduate
Graduate
in exile
bullet Posted: 28 March 2008 at 2:27pm
Ok, fair enough... I can ask the same of you about a religion you probably have not studied at all... 
www.hudastore.com

www.theoneislam.com
LtTony  
Mureed
Mureed
bullet Posted: 28 March 2008 at 2:37pm

Yes, that would be fair.
<< Prev Page  of 19 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version