Hall of FameHall of Fame  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp  chatChat
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Current Events
 Whyislam.org Forums : General : Current Events
Message Icon Topic: Sex Infections Found in Quarter of Teenage Girls Post Reply Post New Topic
Page  of 2 Next >>
ScoobyGurl  
Mureed
Mureed
The Modern Muslimah
Religion: Islam(Muslim)
Forum Rating: 0
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote ScoobyGurl Replybullet Topic: Sex Infections Found in Quarter of Teenage Girls
    Posted: 26 March 2008 at 8:40am
I found this article a couple of week ago in the NY Times. I found it alarming for so many reasons. What I found even more alarming is that AA teens are being hit the hardest event though in past studies they have been shown to have more conservative sexual behavior.

March 12, 2008

Sex Infections Found in Quarter of Teenage Girls

By LAWRENCE K. ALTMAN

The first national study of four common sexually transmitted diseases among girls and young women has found that one in four are infected with at least one of the diseases, federal health officials reported Tuesday.

Nearly half the African-Americans in the study of teenagers ages 14 to 19 were infected with at least one of the diseases monitored in the study -- human papillomavirus (HPV), chlamydia, genital herpes and trichomoniasis, a common parasite.

The 50 percent figure compared with 20 percent of white teenagers, health officials and researchers said at a news conference at a scientific meeting in Chicago.

The two most common sexually transmitted diseases, or S.T.D.'s, among all the participants tested were HPV, at 18 percent, and chlamydia, at 4 percent, according to the analysis, part of the National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey.

Each disease can be serious in its own way. HPV, for example, can cause cancer and genital warts.

Among the infected women, 15 percent had more than one of the diseases.

Read the rest here.

No Guest-Voting   IP IP Logged
Islamway  
Mureed
Mureed
Allahu Akbar
Religion: Islam(Sunni)
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Islamway Replybullet Posted: 26 March 2008 at 8:51pm

It sends a message to those who keep putting down Islam and Islamic values .. actually the prophet (sas) has warned us 14 centuries ago: “Never does fahishah emerge within a people to the extent that they publicize it except plague and torments spread within them, the likes of which have not passed in their predecessors who have passed away.”

ScoobyGurl  
Mureed
Mureed
The Modern Muslimah
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote ScoobyGurl Replybullet Posted: 27 March 2008 at 9:47am
I do support abstinence and since Bush has been President, abstinence has been the position taught to students in sex ed classes here in the US.

There's been some criticism that the abstinence only programs promoted by the administration had lead to stats like the ones quoted in the article. What do you think?

It's interesting that abstinence is promoted in schools but the rest of American culture does not promote it at all. Thus, kids still have sex since they're not getting the message of abstinence except in school, but because of abstinence only programs, they're not even given info or tools like condoms to protect themselves when they do have sex. It's a catch 22. Like either promote abstinence wholeheartedly by working to promote a culture of it or at least help these kids out by giving them info.
jamilahz  
Graduate
Graduate
in exile
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote jamilahz Replybullet Posted: 27 March 2008 at 3:13pm
I don't know exactly what the programs entail, but telling students to abstain but giving them condoms 'just in case' might be confusing.

We live in a society that glorifies sex in so many ways... its everywhere.  Drive down 91 in Hartford and see a billboard for VIP adult store with a GIANT half naked woman in a bunny costume (for easter of course).  For programs of any kind to work we have to curtail the glorification of sex everywhere we turn. 
www.hudastore.com

www.theoneislam.com
Bill2702  
Super Mureed
Super Mureed
Golly goo deaf hello
Religion: Unknown(Unknown)
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Bill2702 Replybullet Posted: 27 March 2008 at 3:23pm
But what is the primary goal. To prevent them having sex or to ensure they don't catch these diseases. There is a difference and the most effective solutions would be different.
Anything free is worth what you pay for it.
Aviatrix  
Admin Group
Admin Group
WhyIslam Forum Moderator
Forum Rating: 123
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Aviatrix Replybullet Posted: 27 March 2008 at 3:54pm
What is a fahishah?
scruggnut  
Mureed
Mureed
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote scruggnut Replybullet Posted: 27 March 2008 at 4:41pm
Originally posted by Islamway

It sends a message to those who keep putting down Islam and Islamic values .. actually the prophet (sas) has warned us 14 centuries ago: “Never does fahishah emerge within a people to the extent that they publicize it except plague and torments spread within them, the likes of which have not passed in their predecessors who have passed away.”

While i understand that abstaining from sexual intercourse is a value that islam embraces...i would hesitate to call it an "islamic value".
I think some people abstained from sexual intercourse before the qur'an and islam came into being.

Waiting an eternity for an apology from one who never apologizes but always demands one.
Misbah  
Super Mureed
Super Mureed
Forum Rating: 103
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Misbah Replybullet Posted: 27 March 2008 at 4:52pm
Use a Condom for Gods sake! and stay with one partner and dont be too obsessed about sex ..... always.

"Don’t be so humble - you ain't that great."
Islamway  
Mureed
Mureed
Allahu Akbar
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Islamway Replybullet Posted: 27 March 2008 at 5:12pm
Originally posted by Aviatrix

What is a fahishah?

The ugly or shameful sin .. but it is usually used to refer to zina and homosexuality.

scruggnut  
Mureed
Mureed
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote scruggnut Replybullet Posted: 27 March 2008 at 5:13pm
I agree, misbah.
Sex is over-rated anyway.  I would much rather have a sandwich. 
Waiting an eternity for an apology from one who never apologizes but always demands one.
Islamway  
Mureed
Mureed
Allahu Akbar
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Islamway Replybullet Posted: 27 March 2008 at 5:33pm
Originally posted by scruggnut

Originally posted by Islamway

While i understand that abstaining from sexual intercourse is a value that islam embraces...i would hesitate to call it an "islamic value".
I think some people abstained from sexual intercourse before the qur'an and islam came into being.

Saying it's an Islamic value doesn't mean it's exclusive for Islam.

Islam does not only prohibit illegal sexual intercourse, but all the ways leading to it .. many people don't like the fact that , in Islam, women should dress modestly and that Islam puts restrictions on the relation between men and women.

Islam considers illegal sexual intercourse a major sin and a crime, which is punished by the law.
Guests
Guest Group
Guest Group

Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Guests Replybullet Posted: 27 March 2008 at 5:50pm
Originally posted by scruggnut

That is, abstaining from promiscous sexual intercourse is an Islamic value. Abstaining from it altogether (for instance like Catholic Priests) is something the Qur'an criticises as being unGodly.
No Self-Vote Allowed.   IP IP Logged
LtTony  
Mureed
Mureed
Religion: Christian(Catholic)
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote LtTony Replybullet Posted: 27 March 2008 at 7:12pm
http://www.avert.org/stdstatisticsworldwide.htm

Also, abortions have dropped significantly in the past few years.  We still have a long way to go, however.
"“We love death. The US loves life. That is the difference between us two.” Osama Bin Laden
Misbah  
Super Mureed
Super Mureed
Forum Rating: 103
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Misbah Replybullet Posted: 27 March 2008 at 8:09pm
Abortions, because well they must be on the pill, therefore they aren't getting pregnant but still are getting sexual infections.

Just a thought.
"Don’t be so humble - you ain't that great."
Page  of 2 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version