Hall of FameHall of Fame  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp  chatChat
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
InterReligious Dialogue
 Whyislam.org Forums : General : InterReligious Dialogue
Message Icon Topic: Convoluted Convert arguments (cont.)(Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post Reply Post New Topic
<< Prev Page  of 2
MedGirl
Mureed
Mureed
Religion: Unknown(Unknown)
Forum Rating: 0
bullet Posted: 27 March 2008 at 2:29pm
Originally posted by jamilahz

You two are secretly best friends right?

lol

Edited by MedGirl - 27 March 2008 at 2:30pm
No Guest-Voting   IP IP Logged
M.A.R.W.A.N
Mureed
Mureed
Dragon rescuer, Virgin slayer.
Forum Rating: 134
bullet Posted: 27 March 2008 at 2:45pm

Notice, btw, he completely ignores being exposed for the fake "scholar" list from wikipedia.

To answer your question, I'd rather be friends with the pig in his avatar.

At least the pig doesn't lie (he just smells)

fun fact after the break.
M.A.R.W.A.N
Mureed
Mureed
bullet Posted: 27 March 2008 at 2:45pm

In the art of Christianity, the pig is considered an unclean symbol of lust, greed, and gluttony.

Saint Anthony the Great, also known as St. Anthony Abbott (251–356), retreated from wealth to live as a hermit in the desert of Egypt. He resisted many temptations sent by the devil until his death at the age of 105. His great holiness attracted others who came to live near him, and he is often considered the father of Christian monasticism. Usually carrying a staff and pictured as an old man, he is associated with a pig which represents his victory over the demon of gluttony. A pig can be seen in the background of the painting "The Visitation with Saint Nicholas and Saint Anthony Abbot "(1490), seen here in this detail depicting Saint Anthony (note: see the pig in the background), by the Florentine painter Piero di Cosimo (1462-1521).

Today pigs may be considered to be symbols of good fortune, thrift, and savings. Children are traditionally given piggy banks to encourage them to save.

Source:

Bailey, Colin J. “The Art Quiz Book: 2000+ Questions on Painters and Paintings.” Station Press: Scotland, 1995

Edited by M.A.R.W.A.N - 27 March 2008 at 2:46pm
M.A.R.W.A.N
Mureed
Mureed
bullet Posted: 27 March 2008 at 3:11pm
Originally posted by MeInUSA

...There's a UTube video of a shiek (Muslim) on Al Jazeera saying how 600-something Muslims in Africa convert to Christianity every hour. Muslims immediately start jumping all over Christians & calling them liars....

I haven't seen this video, but why would muslim start jumping all over Christians & calling them liars, it's not like they were talking to ltTony were they?

According to you, this was a muslim shk. Nevermind that for now, first thing's first, let's study the #'s..

• As of yesterday, there are ~ almost 900,000,000 people in Africa.
  • About 45% are Christian, and about 12% are something else (take your pick). This leaves 387,000,000 muslims.
  • According to my Monroe 7130 calculator (made in Malaysia btw), there are 8,766 hrs in a year. At this rate 600/hr rate==>  ~5,260,000 muslims would convert yearly.
  • This means that in 73 years only*, the muslim population should cease to exist in all of Africa. I've heard this number for years, so I assume this rate isn't new. This means that my cousins, or their future unborn children, are about to  convert.............................oh....hmmm.............I better call them.

Do you still believe this number?

*for purposes of this test, I suspended certain probabilities, namely, the ability for African Muslims to produce babies during this time. I just pretended they started raising pigs instead. The influx of Christian converts, I assume, would raise Christian babies since existing muslims were diminishing at the speed of 600/hr.

Edited by M.A.R.W.A.N - 27 March 2008 at 3:20pm
Aviatrix  
Admin Group
Admin Group
WhyIslam Forum Moderator
Religion: Islam(Muslim)
Forum Rating: 123
bullet Posted: 27 March 2008 at 3:33pm
I didn't literally mean "all the time" in case anyone was confused. Rather, it's a refrain I frequently hear. People say things like that, I think, to make them feel more safe and secure regarding their own faith. I.e., nobody who really believed what I believe would convert to that... or especially, nobody who really understood my religion would leave it.

I read a lot of stories of Muslims who converted to Christianity before I embraced Islam. In all cases, the factor for their conversion was not faith or their belief, but more mundane things like where their friends were, who was easier to get along with--a lot of times a troubling marriage (to a Muslim) was the impetus to leave the faith.

People have their own reasons for picking a religion, if they do that. Muslims are told that Allah guides whom He pleases, and leads astray... so there is no problem for me at least to see a Muslim leave Islam--it's almost expected.

If a person can live his whole life like a person of Paradise, and do one act which lands him in Hellfire, and if he can live his life like a person of Hellfire and do one act which lands him in Paradise... then really, anyone--even a "scholar"--can be guided away from Islam.
scruggnut  
Mureed
Mureed
bullet Posted: 27 March 2008 at 4:50pm
Oh yeah...my religion can beat up your religion.
Seriously...you guys sound like a bunch of school children bickering and arguing about things that neither of you can prove.
Grow up.

Edited by scruggnut - 27 March 2008 at 4:52pm
Waiting an eternity for an apology from one who never apologizes but always demands one.
M.A.R.W.A.N
Mureed
Mureed
bullet Posted: 27 March 2008 at 5:04pm
Just because you have no proof of either religion does not mean the same applies to us.

Also, you're in the wrong thread. The evidence/proof threads have been archived.

LtTony  
Mureed
Mureed
Religion: Christian(Catholic)
bullet Posted: 27 March 2008 at 5:07pm
Originally posted by scruggnut

Seriously...you guys sound like a bunch of school children bickering and arguing about things that neither of you can prove.
Grow up.

Thank you.
"“We love death. The US loves life. That is the difference between us two.” Osama Bin Laden
scruggnut  
Mureed
Mureed
bullet Posted: 27 March 2008 at 5:11pm
Originally posted by M.A.R.W.A.N

Just because you have no proof of either religion does not mean the same applies to us.

Also, you're in the wrong thread. The evidence/proof threads have been archived.

Okay, just try to be an adult, alright.  I know it's hard; but you can do it if you give your ego a rest.
Waiting an eternity for an apology from one who never apologizes but always demands one.
M.A.R.W.A.N
Mureed
Mureed
bullet Posted: 27 March 2008 at 5:34pm
Hey, ltony's religion requires blind faith, that's why (among other reasons) he can't say much. Mine doesn't, so I'm fully convinced of what I'm saying and am able to defend it.

Luckily for me, I don't believe in the Pope. Actually, come to think of it, I don't believe in luck either, so I must be on to something.

Frankly I don't see where ego come's into play anywhere.

Besides, I'm such a nice guy.

Edited by M.A.R.W.A.N - 27 March 2008 at 5:36pm
hamayoun  
Super Mureed
Super Mureed
The Humble Muslim
Religion: Islam(Sunni)
bullet Posted: 27 March 2008 at 5:48pm
Salam

This is embarassing to read.  Closing.