Hall of FameHall of Fame  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp  chatChat
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
InterReligious Dialogue
 Whyislam.org Forums : General : InterReligious Dialogue
Message Icon Topic: Did Muslim Science Lead to The Renaissance? Post Reply Post New Topic
Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Religion: Islam(Muslim)
Forum Rating: 159
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Topic: Did Muslim Science Lead to The Renaissance?
    Posted: 26 March 2008 at 4:42pm

Arab-Islamic Science and the Making of The Renaissance

A Lecture at SOAS - London - by Prof. George Saliba - May 2007

The importance of this lecture is that it was given by an objective non-Muslim academic

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QFWVufh_40o

What do you think?

Think Win-Win for a better world for all...

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

No Guest-Voting   IP IP Logged
Squeegie  

Religion: Christian(Non-Denom.)
Forum Rating: 0
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Squeegie Replybullet Posted: 26 March 2008 at 9:53pm
I think if I can ever talk my husband into shelling out more money for broadband (last of the dial up users here) I will actually look at things found on youtube.

As to the subject matter, since much of "muslim" science was in fact imported from elsewhere, having been encountered by Muslims on some of their energetic missionary journeys, put to good use and eventually claimed as a Muslim innovation, I'm not sure if this discussion can really go anywhere. The concept of zero was in fact a product of Indian thought.

For that matter, why can't we give due credit to the Irish for stockpiling e gads of manuscripts, writings, art from antiquity and preserving it in monasteries prior to the Dark Ages and then reintroducing it to the world shortly before the Renaissance kicked in full swing.
Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Religion: Islam(Muslim)
Forum Rating: 159
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 27 March 2008 at 12:50am
Credit should be given where due

One of the misconceptions about the contribution of Muslim scientists is that their role was limited to translating and preserving science produced by others

That was not the case

Thousands of new discoveries, machines and instruments were introduced by Muslim scientists in Europe and elsewhere around the world over a period of more than 500 years, many explained here in detail:

http://www.muslimheritage.com/ (no broadband needed )

Furthermore, one of the most important contributions of Muslims to the European Renaissance was the scientific method developed by scholars like Ibn Rushd (Averreos):

Ibn Rushd is perhaps the best known Muslim scholar of Cordoba who was instrumental in influencing European theology and epistemology. Here is a facinating glimpse into his role in establishing the role of reasoning in religious faith

Think Win-Win for a better world for all...

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

amoxoxoma  
Graduate
Graduate
Religion: Christian(Catholic)
Forum Rating: 0
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote amoxoxoma Replybullet Posted: 27 March 2008 at 3:01am

Excellent article about Ibn Rushd. There is no question that Islamic civilization was very fruitful and reached it's apogee from 800-1300 when it began to unfortunately ossify.  It was certainly more open minded and inclusive than medieval christianity.

Islamic culture stood in the line of the advancement of knowledge by taking what was good from other cultures and building on it. The torch was passed to Western Europe during the Renaissance.

Where will it go next?
The more deeply we are our true selves, the less self is in us.
Meister Eckhart
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version