Hall of FameHall of Fame  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp  chatChat
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Current Events
 Whyislam.org Forums : General : Current Events
Message Icon Topic: Truth Hurts... Post Reply Post New Topic
hamayoun  
Super Mureed
Super Mureed
The Humble Muslim
Religion: Islam(Sunni)
Forum Rating: 0
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote hamayoun Replybullet Topic: Truth Hurts...
    Posted: 28 March 2008 at 1:25pm
Salam

American Newscaster quits Al-Jazeera English

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080328/ap_en_tv/tv_exiting_american
May Allah give me patience, Ameen.

My blog: http://regularbaba.blogspot.com/
No Guest-Voting   IP IP Logged
M.A.R.W.A.N
Mureed
Mureed
Dragon rescuer, Virgin slayer.
Religion: Unknown(Unknown)
Forum Rating: 134
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote M.A.R.W.A.N Replybullet Posted: 28 March 2008 at 1:42pm
The irony is....."[Former "Nightline" reporter Dave] Marash said he felt that attitude more from British administrators than Arabs at the Qatar-based network."

Edited by M.A.R.W.A.N - 28 March 2008 at 1:43pm
Guests
Guest Group
Guest Group

Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Guests Replybullet Posted: 28 March 2008 at 4:08pm
Bloody colonists.
No Self-Vote Allowed.   IP IP Logged
hamayoun  
Super Mureed
Super Mureed
The Humble Muslim
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote hamayoun Replybullet Posted: 28 March 2008 at 4:09pm
What do you mean, Kad?
May Allah give me patience, Ameen.

My blog: http://regularbaba.blogspot.com/
ScoobyGurl  
Mureed
Mureed
The Modern Muslimah
Religion: Islam(Muslim)
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote ScoobyGurl Replybullet Posted: 28 March 2008 at 4:25pm
That's not surprising. I was watching Charlie Rose a while back and a journalist for the NY Times, who is British, said that anti-American sentiment is really strong among the British and that the Bush Administration's actions have just made it stronger. It really sucks because all Americans are getting painted with one brush stroke. There are so many Americans who are critical of American foreign policy but we get slammed with everyone else.
Guests
Guest Group
Guest Group

Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Guests Replybullet Posted: 28 March 2008 at 4:55pm
Following Marwan's post, thought I'd play the typical anti-American Englishman. But anyway the point is especially since 9/11 the American media has been full of coverage painting the Muslim world as fanatically anti-American by giving a voice to the most extreme of the extreme elements whenever there's a crisis. It's fairly reminiscient of how people Communist states were portrayed in the later stages of the Cold War. When really most people in the Muslim world don't really know anything about the USA or care about the country, and very few of those who do really hate Americans, even if they're unappreciative of its foreign policy.

And ironically, despite being its closest ally one of the few countries whose general public genuinely does have anti-American sentiment is the UK. Which is why I'm not surprised this guy quit Al-Jazeera not because of anti-American attitude from the Arabs there, but from the British. The difference is that anti-Americanism there is in the Muslim world is primarily down to politics, that is being angry at the US for invading Iraq, supporting Israel, protecting the Saudi royal family and other dictators, it's not that they just don't like Americans. Whereas here anti-Americanism is a cultural thing, people who dislike Americans don't do so because of any political grievances (except maybe the American war of independence), they just don't like Americans.
No Self-Vote Allowed.   IP IP Logged
Misbah  
Super Mureed
Super Mureed
Forum Rating: 103
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Misbah Replybullet Posted: 28 March 2008 at 5:09pm
Salaam,

I was sent this by my Ex today.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/fisk/robert-fisk-the-only-lesson-we-ever-learn-is-that-we-never-learn-797816.html

"They drove the Brits out of Palestine and Aden, the French out of Algeria, the Russians out of Afghanistan, the Americans out of Somalia and Beirut, the Israelis out of Lebanon. We have started up the road to empire and over the next hill we will meet those who went before. The only lesson we learn from history is that we do not learn from history."

"Donít be so humble - you ain't that great."
Islamaholic
Graduate
Graduate
Religion: Islam(Muslim)
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Islamaholic Replybullet Posted: 29 March 2008 at 7:48am
Salam,

Troops from the United Arab Emirates (UAE) have been delivering humanitarian aid to their fellow Muslims and, on occasion, fighting their way out of Taleban ambushes.

Atleast the French and the Portuguese (seeing their colonial past) were wise enough not to get too deeply involved this time round.

ma'salam

Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version