Hall of FameHall of Fame  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp  chatChat
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
InterReligious Dialogue
 Whyislam.org Forums : General : InterReligious Dialogue
Message Icon Topic: Worship of Allah Post Reply Post New Topic
Page  of 7 Next >>
algebra
Graduate
Graduate
Religion: Other(Other)
Forum Rating: 0
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote algebra Replybullet Topic: Worship of Allah
    Posted: 29 March 2008 at 12:00pm
What does worship really mean?

How do muslims define the term worship, in physical actions, thoughts and emotions?
No Guest-Voting   IP IP Logged
Lilac  
Religion: Islam(Muslim)
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Lilac Replybullet Posted: 29 March 2008 at 1:38pm
To me, to worship is more than saying a prayer to God. Worshipping God is in everything, whether it's giving a smile to a neighbor or in saying the Salat. Worship is a state of the heart when you are always striving your best to do what God commands.
noor014  
Freshman
Freshman
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote noor014 Replybullet Posted: 29 March 2008 at 2:07pm

in physical actions it wuold be obviously be salaat...5 times a day. but i think there are so many ways of worshiping Allah, by doing what he has commmanded... by talking about your faith.....reciting the Qur'an and understanding it. Doing good deeds, even intending to do good deeds...the list is endless. I think any action which reminds you of your faith, and brings you closer to Allah is a form of worship...

i like monkeys!!
jana.z  
Mureed
Mureed
Bismillah
Religion: Islam(Sunni)
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote jana.z Replybullet Posted: 29 March 2008 at 3:34pm
to adore, to love unquestioningly with all that we have.  with our thoughts, our actions, our prayers, even saying bismillah before we put one morsel in our mouths.
And hold fast, all together to the rope of Allah and do not separate.”Âl’ Imran:103)

http://myimmatureviewpoint.blogspot.com/
http://solomuslimah.blogspot.com/
Aviatrix  
Admin Group
Admin Group
WhyIslam Forum Moderator
Forum Rating: 123
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Aviatrix Replybullet Posted: 29 March 2008 at 3:45pm
Actually the word 'worship' in Islam is very broad. Anything done for the pleasure of Allah is worship. Submitting to God, that is worship. Testifying belief, and remembering God--that is worship. Seeking to learn more about Islam to practice it better--that is worship. Being kind to your parents, siblings, children, and spouse--that is worship.

Doing what Allah has commanded us to do--that is worship. Yes that can mean pillars but also enjoining the good, forbidding the evil. Staying away from what Allah has forbidden us--that is worship. Refusing to drink alcohol or eat pork can be worship.

Acting modestly--that is worship. Covering your body properly and not looking at anyone else inappropriately, addressing people with respect--that is worship.

You also mentioned thoughts and emotions--sincere gratitude towards Allah, and love of Allah--that is worship. Remembering Allah and fearing His punishment can also be worship.

With the right intention (that is, to please God) any act or saying of a person can be worship.

Edited by Aviatrix - 29 March 2008 at 3:46pm
Misbah  
Super Mureed
Super Mureed
Forum Rating: 103
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Misbah Replybullet Posted: 29 March 2008 at 6:33pm
Salaam

Well i think worship doesn't just mean you pray, it means a lot more than that.

What Allah tells us to do, from kids to parents, to living, i think this is all worship.

"Worship is an all inclusive term for all that God loves of external and internal sayings and actions of a person."

In other words, worship is everything one says or does for the pleasure of Allah. This, of course, includes rituals as well as beliefs, social activities, and personal contributions to the welfare of one's fellow human-beings. Islam looks at the individual as a whole. He is required to submit himself completely to Allah, as the Quran instructed the Prophet Muhammad to do:

"Don’t be so humble - you ain't that great."
han7287
Freshman
Freshman

Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote han7287 Replybullet Posted: 30 March 2008 at 9:36pm
Also having intention 
BookWorm  
Sophmore Member
Sophmore Member
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote BookWorm Replybullet Posted: 31 March 2008 at 1:30pm
Worship is more then just physical acts you perform mundanely day after day. Everything and anything you do in your life can be classified as worship as long as your intentions are for God alone. Reading your daily newspaper every morning because you believe that being connected to what’s going on in Muslim majority countries is how you stay connected to the larger Muslim ummah is an act of worship.  Eating your lunch is an act of worship if you intentionally go out of your way to eat only what is pure and good because you believe that's what God wants for you. Even intimate acts of relations between husbands and wives is considered an act of worship because they are choosing to do this within the confides of marriage and not outside as God has directed.  
Bill2702  
Super Mureed
Super Mureed
Golly goo deaf hello
Religion: Unknown(Unknown)
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Bill2702 Replybullet Posted: 31 March 2008 at 1:46pm
I've just grown a beard. Does that count?

(not just Joking I have grown one... not much of one yet)

Anything free is worth what you pay for it.
BookWorm  
Sophmore Member
Sophmore Member
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote BookWorm Replybullet Posted: 31 March 2008 at 2:18pm
Since I doubt you do it for the sake of God then no, it’s not…………….. but on the another hand I don’t know what’s in your heart and I would never assume to, so it could be…………….........Allahu Alam {and only God knows best}
scruggnut  
Mureed
Mureed
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote scruggnut Replybullet Posted: 31 March 2008 at 3:00pm
Originally posted by Aviatrix

Actually the word 'worship' in Islam is very broad. Anything done for the pleasure of Allah is worship. Submitting to God, that is worship. Testifying belief, and remembering God--that is worship. Seeking to learn more about Islam to practice it better--that is worship. Being kind to your parents, siblings, children, and spouse--that is worship.

Doing what Allah has commanded us to do--that is worship. Yes that can mean pillars but also enjoining the good, forbidding the evil. Staying away from what Allah has forbidden us--that is worship. Refusing to drink alcohol or eat pork can be worship.

Acting modestly--that is worship. Covering your body properly and not looking at anyone else inappropriately, addressing people with respect--that is worship.

You also mentioned thoughts and emotions--sincere gratitude towards Allah, and love of Allah--that is worship. Remembering Allah and fearing His punishment can also be worship.

With the right intention (that is, to please God) any act or saying of a person can be worship.

Does that mean killing someone, if one believed that was allahs wish and one did it to please him, could be construed as a form of worship?
Could someone deluded enough believe that, since muhammad said himself that when there is no other option (and for most people, options are things that, even if many exist but they fail to see them, options being highly relative, they will say that there aren't any others as far as they are concerned), one could resort to violence and feel entirely justified...since, as you said, any act, i take it even murder, can be a form of worship.

Edited by scruggnut - 31 March 2008 at 3:03pm
Waiting an eternity for an apology from one who never apologizes but always demands one.
hamayoun  
Super Mureed
Super Mureed
The Humble Muslim
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote hamayoun Replybullet Posted: 31 March 2008 at 3:19pm
Not so much the killing, but willing to risk one's life by going to the battlefield: that is one of the highest forms of worship.  And before anyone asks, that does NOT include suicide killings.
May Allah give me patience, Ameen.

My blog: http://regularbaba.blogspot.com/
scruggnut  
Mureed
Mureed
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote scruggnut Replybullet Posted: 31 March 2008 at 3:35pm
I sense a gray area in the force, luke.
I mean, it matters little because crazy people will do crazy things no matter whether god tells them to or not; but one would like to try and limit the chance of such a thing occurring...if at all possible.

Edited by scruggnut - 31 March 2008 at 3:36pm
Waiting an eternity for an apology from one who never apologizes but always demands one.
Aviatrix  
Admin Group
Admin Group
WhyIslam Forum Moderator
Forum Rating: 123
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Aviatrix Replybullet Posted: 31 March 2008 at 3:38pm
Scruggnut, imagine if someone tried to hurt your daughter, and in order to protect her you wound up killing her attacker. Now imagine if it wasn't your daughter, but some stranger on the street who was being attacked, who you tried to protect.

However, just simply believing something is God's will (you said "if one believed that was allahs wish") does not make it so. The person might even do it to gain reward from Allah, but if it is something that God has forbidden then there is no reward for it. Killing innocent people is definitely forbidden.
Page  of 7 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version