Hall of FameHall of Fame  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp  chatChat
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
General Discussion
 Whyislam.org Forums : General : General Discussion
Message Icon Topic: I have a few questions Post Reply Post New Topic
Page  of 2 Next >>
wadee  
Freshman
Freshman
Religion: Islam(Muslim)
Forum Rating: 0
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote wadee Replybullet Topic: I have a few questions
    Posted: 30 March 2008 at 5:46pm
Does this mean that we are now the largest religion in the world? They mentioned birth rates being a factor in this but don't converts also play a role in this?And also how reliable are these statistics?

VATICAN CITY - Islam has surpassed Roman Catholicism as the world's largest religion, the Vatican newspaper said Sunday.

"For the first time in history, we are no longer at the top: Muslims have overtaken us," Monsignor Vittorio Formenti said in an interview with the Vatican newspaper L'Osservatore Romano. Formenti compiles the Vatican's yearbook.

He said that Catholics accounted for 17.4 percent of the world population a stable percentage while Muslims were at 19.2 percent.

"It is true that while Muslim families, as is well known, continue to make a lot of children, Christian ones on the contrary tend to have fewer and fewer," the monsignor said.

Formenti said that the data refer to 2006. The figures on Muslims were put together by Muslim countries and then provided to the United Nations, he said, adding that the Vatican could only vouch for its own data.

When considering all Christians and not just Catholics, Christians make up 33 percent of the world population, Formenti said.

Spokesmen for the Vatican and the United Nations did not immediately return phone calls seeking comment Sunday.

Edited by wadee - 30 March 2008 at 5:47pm
assalam u alaykum
No Guest-Voting   IP IP Logged
Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Forum Rating: 159
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 30 March 2008 at 6:02pm
The timing for the release of these statistics is a bit strange

But if you group Christians together (i.e. Catholics, Protestants, Orthodox and others), they would be more than Muslims (around 33%)

Do percentages matter that much?

Think Win-Win for a better world for all...

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Nura  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Nura Replybullet Posted: 31 March 2008 at 6:12pm
Originally posted by wadee

Does this mean that we are now the largest religion in the world?

No. Muslims are more than Catholics (according to some statistics) but not more than all Christians. The largest religion in the world is still Christianity, Islam is the second.
Some souces say, Islam will be the first in about 100 years...but, as the brother said, percentage does not matter. Many followers don't make a religion truth.

About converts, I don't know. It's true that many people in the West are converting to Islam, but I have heard that, for example, many iranians have converted to Christianity. Only God knows!
Spare me the political events and power struggles, as the whole earth is my homeland and all men are my fellow countrymen. K.Gibran
scruggnut  
Mureed
Mureed
Religion: Unknown(Unknown)
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote scruggnut Replybullet Posted: 31 March 2008 at 6:19pm
As nura said, sheer numbers, especially in a case like this, does not necessarily indicate anything at all.
For all you know, it could just mean that muslims are now the largest misled people in the world, just as catholics may have been.
But rejoice, nonetheless; in what may be a resounding victory, or a defeat...no one can be really sure.
Waiting an eternity for an apology from one who never apologizes but always demands one.
Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 01 April 2008 at 1:34am
There is one way to be sure - Scruggnut - if people are interested to find out the truth:

It's called Mubahala

A Christian delegation from a place called Nagran visited Prophet Muhammad, peace be upon him, in Madinah. He welcomed them, and gave them hospitality for several days. They asked him about Islam and he answered them.

Before leaving Madinah, they said they did not believe that The Qur'an is a revelation from God, and the answer was revealed in The Qur'an in Chapter 3, Verse 61

For a background on Mubahala:

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

M.A.R.W.A.N
Mureed
Mureed
Dragon rescuer, Virgin slayer.
Forum Rating: 134
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote M.A.R.W.A.N Replybullet Posted: 01 April 2008 at 10:39am
If any one disputes in this matter with thee, now after (full) knowledge Hath come to thee, say: "Come! let us gather together,- our sons and your sons, our women and your women, ourselves and yourselves: Then let us earnestly pray, and invoke the curse of Allah on those who lie! 3:61
scruggnut  
Mureed
Mureed
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote scruggnut Replybullet Posted: 01 April 2008 at 1:34pm
I don't get it...are you guys implying that allah, the merciful and all of that, will allow you to curse someone because they lie about islam and that person will die before the year is out?
Al, i definately am interested in finding the truth; but honestly, if in order to find the truth someone must be cursed by allah and that persons death will provide all the necessary proof...frankly, allah can keep his truth.
One would think that he would find a better way of proving his existance.
Waiting an eternity for an apology from one who never apologizes but always demands one.
M.A.R.W.A.N
Mureed
Mureed
Dragon rescuer, Virgin slayer.
Forum Rating: 134
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote M.A.R.W.A.N Replybullet Posted: 01 April 2008 at 2:00pm
Who said anything about people dying, this is only a method by which we can determine who is being truthful.

But it makes one curious about your midset regarding an apparently 1 year limit of life for people who disagree with you. You're too kind, I know an agnostic who only gives 6 months.
h
hamayoun  
Super Mureed
Super Mureed
The Humble Muslim
Religion: Islam(Sunni)
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote hamayoun Replybullet Posted: 01 April 2008 at 2:19pm
Scruggnut

Please register for access to the Islam Question and Discussion Forum, which is the correct place to ask questions like the ones you are asking.  Thanks.
May Allah give me patience, Ameen.

My blog: http://regularbaba.blogspot.com/
scruggnut  
Mureed
Mureed
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote scruggnut Replybullet Posted: 01 April 2008 at 2:45pm
Originally posted by M.A.R.W.A.N

Who said anything about people dying, this is only a method by which we can determine who is being truthful.

But it makes one curious about your midset regarding an apparently 1 year limit of life for people who disagree with you. You're too kind, I know an agnostic who only gives 6 months.
h
The one year thing was my misunderstanding...that, so says the link al provided, is the length of time that one will last if they lie while partaking in such an undertaking.
Am i not correct in ascertaining that when you ask to destroy someone and their families, again, that is what the link al provided says one must do...death just might be involved; or does it imply destruction via other means, like monetary?

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 01 April 2008 at 6:57pm
The objective is not to wish destruction on others.

It's simply an option which is available for people who really want to find out the truth, and have no other means of knowing which is the right path to take

Thoughout the centuries, Mubahala was used on very few occasions

In Madinah, when the Christian delegation learned about Islam then claimed the Qur'an is not from God, they were offered that option, but they declined as they were not certain they were right

Had they been 100% certain, they would not have declined the option, as it would have been a chance for them to prove they were right and Muslims were wrong ...

But they didn't agree as they feared of what may have happened to them if they accepted

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

scruggnut  
Mureed
Mureed
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote scruggnut Replybullet Posted: 02 April 2008 at 9:56am
It begs the question that, if this is all done to prove that the qur'an is the word of god, and god is the power behind the mubahala...why does he choose such a potentially destructive and horrible option to prove that the qur'an is indeed his word; instead of just showing himself and proclaiming, "yes, tis true...that is my word".
The common answer that i have heard from muslims is that he will not show himself because those whos eyes and ears and hearts are closed, will forever remain closed...basically saying, what's the point in showing up and clarifying things...yet, apparently he uses the mubahala to do that very thing.
Doesn't that strike you as a touch silly that a loving god would favour the mubahala over just throwing someone who has a hard time understanding his word, a bone?
sahbun  
Sophmore Member
Sophmore Member
Religion: Islam(Sunni)
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote sahbun Replybullet Posted: 10 April 2008 at 9:24am
Originally posted by scruggnut
why does he choose such a potentially destructive and horrible option to prove that the qur'an is indeed his word;

Because all the potentially constructive and nice options were chosen before choosing so called "potentially destructive and horrible option" of yours.

A Christian delegation from a place called Nagran visited Prophet Muhammad, peace be upon him, in Madinah. He welcomed them, and gave them hospitality for several days. They asked him about Islam and he answered them.
......originally posted by Al-Cordoby

And the person who ensured the potentially constructive and nice options was the prophet himself(peace be upon him). And no other muslim could have done this as nice as him.

They were given the best options from Allah. As they denied, so they were called for "mubahala".
As they were sure that they were not upon the truth so they denied accepting "mubahala".

So, the conclusion is, they were proved as liars.

Edited by sahbun - 10 April 2008 at 9:48am
Everyone knows better than me...........
scruggnut  
Mureed
Mureed
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote scruggnut Replybullet Posted: 10 April 2008 at 10:11am
I guess it takes every kind, huh...and it looks like even allah can be petty.
Page  of 2 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version