Hall of FameHall of Fame  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp  chatChat
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
General Discussion
 Whyislam.org Forums : General : General Discussion
Message Icon Topic: I have a few questions Post Reply Post New Topic
<< Prev Page  of 2
sahbun  
Sophmore Member
Sophmore Member
Religion: Islam(Sunni)
Forum Rating: 0
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote sahbun Replybullet Posted: 10 April 2008 at 10:40am
Well.........

It doesn’t matter weather you accept it or not.

The story of "mubahala" is a historical proof of some Christian people being liars.
Everyone knows better than me...........
No Guest-Voting   IP IP Logged
waheed1  
Admin Group
Admin Group

Whyislam Shura
Religion: Islam(Muslim)
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote waheed1 Replybullet Posted: 10 April 2008 at 12:18pm
If by "liars" we mean people who intentionally misrepresent the message of God, then I agree.

There are people in the clergy [as well as in other religious traditions I'm sure] who are outright liars, leading their congregations and followers on the wrong path. These sorts want money, not God. To that, the Mubahala [or Ibtihaal ] is addressed.

That is a different thing altogether from someone who has a mistaken view or incorrect notion. Allah is indeed the most kind and the most merciful, this is the reason he has sent the Qur'an, to be a source of correction and clarification about issues that are confusing or outright have been misrepresented.

We have to be careful about placing unjust labels on people, even when we don't agree with their ideologies.
hamayoun  
Super Mureed
Super Mureed
The Humble Muslim
Religion: Islam(Sunni)
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote hamayoun Replybullet Posted: 10 April 2008 at 12:40pm
Salam

Excellent points Waheed.  If we look at the detailed explaination of these verse, we'll see that the reason the Prophet(SAW) was directed by God to issue this challenge was that God was well aware that the Christians in the delegation DID believe in the prophethood of Muhammed(SAW), but would have had a great deal to lose (power, wealth, patronage, etc) if the turned away from Christianity and accepted Islam.  The delegation did not consist of lay people, but of the top Christian priests in Yemen at that time.  So God knew the real reasons they rejected Islam, and ordered the Prophet(SAW) to challenge them like this.  Now since they knew the truth, but were unable to openly accept it due to worldly reasons, they naturally neglected the challenge: I mean if they knew the truth, why would they want to ask God to curse them?

There are some scholars who say that this challenge was only for that time, and that it should not be done now.

Hope this clarifies things.
May Allah give me patience, Ameen.

My blog: http://regularbaba.blogspot.com/
scruggnut  
Mureed
Mureed
Religion: Unknown(Unknown)
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote scruggnut Replybullet Posted: 10 April 2008 at 4:41pm
Originally posted by sahbun

Well.........

It doesn’t matter weather you accept it or not.

The story of "mubahala" is a historical proof of some Christian people being liars.
Of course it doesn't matter if i accept it or not...my acceptance or denial of something means little.  Having said that, your acceptance or denial of something has an equal value.
It is not historical proof that some christians are liars...they could have just been cowards who were unsure of their statements.  That doesn't make them liars.
I'm not foolish enough to think that there aren't christians out there, propegating lies about islam...but i'm also not so foolish as to believe that some muslims aren't doing the same thing; no matter what you say.
Waiting an eternity for an apology from one who never apologizes but always demands one.
<< Prev Page  of 2
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version