Hall of FameHall of Fame  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp  chatChat
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Learn about Islam
 Whyislam.org Forums : Learn About Islam : Learn about Islam  
Message Icon Topic: Discover Islam .... Post Reply Post New Topic
<< Prev Page  of 97 Next >>
Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Religion: Islam(Muslim)
Forum Rating: 159
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 23 May 2008 at 1:19am

Captivated By the Call to Prayer

"Not even a million words are enough to express my love to God sufficiently. It is a deep, sincere feeling coming from the depth of my heart, moving through every part of my body up to my fingertips, when I talk to God in my prayers.

I am so thankful to Him for His gift and for making me a Muslim. In all my life I will praise Him and thank Him.

My journey to Islam started simply and inconspicuously. I always smile when I remember the beginning. I loved traveling with my parents. We visited various Muslim countries.

Egypt was the last one and its culture and everything in it captured my attention. It was my first time to be near a mosque, but I did not enter it since I did not know if I could as a non-Muslim.

Whenever I heard the call to Prayer, my heart trembled and I got into a sort of trance and did not hear anything but the voice from the minaret. I was absolutely captivated by it. The solidarity between people gathering in mosques and praying together charmed me and has remained in my memory until today." ....

http://www.readingislam.com/servlet/Satellite?c=Article_C&cid=1209357785812&pagename=Zone-English-Discover_Islam%2FDIELayout

Think Win-Win for a better world for all...

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

No Guest-Voting   IP IP Logged
Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 24 May 2008 at 5:58pm

Contemplation

Contemplation is one of the greatest deeds performed by the heart; it is the key that opens the door which allows the light of guidance to enter; it is the initial step in the direction of correct understanding and comprehension; many people know its virtue but are unaware of its reality, essence and its fruits ...

The most beneficial type of contemplation is over:

· What benefits the slave in the Hereafter and how to achieve them.

· Preventing evil consequences in the Hereafter and how to avoid them.

These are the most honourable matters to contemplate over, and the way to attain such benefits and prevent such evils is by contemplating over the favours of Allaah, His commandments and prohibitions, His Names and Attributes in the Quran and the Sunnah, how quickly this life will vanish, and the eternal nature of the Hereafter. The more one thinks about the brevity of this life, the more effort he will exert to appropriately utilise his time. After these matters, the following are next in importance:

· Matters that are beneficial in this life, and how to attain them.

· Evils that could afflict one, and how to avoid them.

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 28 May 2008 at 5:26pm

The Undeniable Appeal of the Qur'an

The Qur'an has a remarkable method in presenting the truth of existence to human nature. It appeals to it as a whole, yet it addresses every one of its aspects in every single context. It goes through every opening in human nature and deals with all its thoughts and feelings. The Qur'anic method is also remarkable as it tackles the main issues of existence, revealing certain aspects of it which are readily acknowledged both by human nature and the human intellect. They respond to these and formulate their clear vision on them. It also answers the needs of human nature, releases its potentials, and puts it on the right course.

We cannot but marvel at the unique Qur'anic approach as it takes human nature by the hand and moves up with it gently, step by step, yet with much energy and clarity of vision. It takes it to a sublime height, giving it true knowledge, definite response, firm reassurance, consistency of action, and a clear and relaxed awareness of the fundamental truths of existence.

The Qur'anic approach is unparalleled as it appeals to human nature from angles where no response could have been imagined to come. Yet we find human nature ready with its positive response. The fact is that the One who has revealed the Qur'an is the Creator of man who knows His creation. He is closer to a person than his or her jugular vein

http://www.islamonline.net/servlet/Satellite?c=Article_C&cid=1172071985116&pagename=Zone-English-Living_Shariah%2FLSELayout

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 29 May 2008 at 6:04pm

Social Relationships in Islam

Islamic point of view, if friendship is based on love of God and commitment to the faith, then it will be blessed; however, if it is based on trivial factors, then it is not likely to last. In addition to this, both the Qur'an and the Prophetic tradition contain warnings against friendship with people who may take the believer away from the straight path of truth rather than help him to become a better believer.

Prophet Muhammad said,

"Individuals follow the same way of life and thinking as their close friends, therefore let each of you be careful about who he is taking as his close friend"

(Hadith in At-Tirmidhi)

http://www.readingislam.com/servlet/Satellite?c=Article_C&cid=1173695223318&pagename=Zone-English-Discover_Islam%2FDIELayout

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 31 May 2008 at 11:27am

The Basis of Society

Islam sees life is an organic whole and the same principles should guide and govern it in all its ramifications. It stands for life-affirmation and life-fulfillment and refuses to divide life into watertight compartments of the sacred and the secular, of the holy and profane. It gives an integrated view of life and reality. The teaching of Islam cover all fields of human activity, spiritual and material, individual and social, educational and cultural, economic and political, national and international. They cater for the aspirations of the soul as well as for the demands of the law and social institutions.

Islam’s uniqueness lies in spiritualizing the whole matrix of life. Every activity, whether related to things like prayer and fasting, or to economic transactions, sexual relationships, diplomatic dealings or scientific experimentation’s, is religious if it is undertaken with God consciousness and accords with the values and principles revealed by Him; and it is irreligious if it is in violation of them.

The Islamic outlook on life is revolutionary as it gives a new dynamism to what has been traditionally regarded as religious. What makes an activity religious is the attitude with which it is undertaken and its conformity or otherwise with the values enunciated by God and His Prophet.

Islam makes faith and religion the basis of the entire human society and the mainspring for the network of its relationships. Commitment to Islam integrates man not only with God but also with the community of believers. Islamic community is a fraternity of faith - anyone who believes in the Islamic religion and ideology is an inalienable part of this nation - whatever his race, color, language or place of birth

http://www.readingislam.com/servlet/Satellite?c=Article_C&cid=1154235130674&pagename=Zone-English-Discover_Islam%2FDIELayout

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 01 June 2008 at 7:02pm

Family: A Divinely Inspired Institution

In Islam, the family is a divinely inspired and ordained institution. It was not evolved through human experimentation involving a process of trial and error spread over time.

It was an institution that came into existence with the creation of man. The human race is a product of this institution and not the other way round ...

... marriage is a social contract: a noble and sacred contract, but a contract nonetheless. It leads to a number of relationships and engenders a set of mutual rights and obligations.

Each contract, however, is not a sacrament; it is not irrevocable. Divorce is permitted in cases where marriage has failed. Remarriage is allowed, even encouraged. There is no stigma attached to remarriage or to marrying a divorced woman or a widower

http://www.readingislam.com/servlet/Satellite?c=Article_C&cid=1203757964451&pagename=Zone-English-Discover_Islam%2FDIELayout

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 03 June 2008 at 6:06pm

Criteria for a True Faith

Q: How do you know that Islam is the true faith?

A: For a faith to be true, it must be accessible to all people, regardless of what language they speak, what age they are, what period they live in, or what their level or type of education is. Neither the blood in their veins nor the color of their skin should ever influence their ability to enter the faith and feel fulfilled by it. The message and doctrines must be simple enough for everyone to understand and its rituals and practices easy to perform for the greatest majority of people. 

Its message must touch the innermost soul of those who believe in it and offer the believer the opportunity to develop the strongest of bonds with the One God Who created all of us. This faith must not contradict itself nor be full of contradictory doctrines and practices. It must take people of all types and all backgrounds from the darkness of ignorance to the light of understanding and knowledge

Its divine book or scripture must speak directly to the heart of anyone who reads it. Its words must teach justice, peace, and prosperity for all who follow them.

It must teach its followers to be distinguished examples of conduct for all of humanity to strive to become like them. It must teach its followers to be well balanced, helpful and caring towards others regardless of their religious beliefs.

http://www.readingislam.com/servlet/Satellite?pagename=IslamOnline-English-AAbout_Islam/AskAboutIslamE/AskAboutIslamE&cid=1148292924035

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 05 June 2008 at 6:52pm

Taking Oneself to Account

Dr. Yusuf al-Qaradawi

It is necessary for an individual to pause at the end of each day that has passed, in order to check himself and run through his achievements: What has he done in the course of the day? Why has he done it? What has he omitted? Why has he omitted it?

How excellent it would be if this self-criticism were to take place before one retired to bed.

This period of self-criticism and appraisal should certainly be counted among man's moments of progress; it is a moment when man impartially sits as a judge over himself and reviews his yearnings and inclinations, his instincts and motivations.

It is a moment when the believer appoints, out of his conviction, a policeman to watch over himself, an investigator to probe him, and a judge to condemn or acquit him. In this way he progresses from the state of "the soul that incites to evil" to the state of "the self- reproaching soul" which reproaches its owner whenever he plunges into sin, or falls short of expectation.

http://islaam.com/Article.aspx?id=631

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 08 June 2008 at 1:38am

Are We “Born to Be Free”?

Free will is the most difficult of God's gifts to understand or appreciate

Freedom of the Human Spirit

Belief in the freedom of the human spirit is one of the key things God has revealed down the ages. In Islam, we are taught that it was something God granted to human beings which He did not grant to angels. We may not be able to choose what we are physically, but we have to choose what we will do as regards our soul-activity. We are requested by God to take control of our selves, and make particular choices and act in particular ways—but He never forces us. We do not even have to believe in Him, and we may choose to ignore Him or disobey Him. Millions of people do ...

Reconciling Destiny and Free will

So, what about the Muslim concept of qadar, the key doctrine of God’s complete and final control over the fulfillment of events, or destiny? How does one balance the idea of God knowing absolutely everything with the idea of free will? If God knows in advance everything that will happen, then surely a person’s life must be entirely predestined? Furthermore, if God does not intervene to stop particular things happening, then one can say that He alone is responsible for them. This is linked to the problem of evil. Who is responsible for evil, if God is ultimately responsible for everything? A thief or a terrorist might plead innocence, because he was surely predestined to steal, or to hijack and bomb, and therefore how can it be his fault? ...

The real truth lies in the realm of Al-Ghayb (matters which lie beyond human perception). All that we believers can do is to ask for guidance along our path of life. We may not be able to see the road way into the distance, but we can pray that God will show us the next step, one step at a time. If it were impossible for people to choose because their futures and destinies were already fixed, not only would God be unfair instead of just, but there would also seem to be very little point in us even trying to live good lives. Fatalism leads to despair and helplessness, defeatism, and hindering people from making any effort to improve either their own lot or the lot of those around them.

What Does God Want?

What does God want for us? He wants us to achieve happiness and success. He wants us to find true freedom. ...

http://www.readingislam.com/servlet/Satellite?c=Article_C&cid=1154235124846&pagename=Zone-English-Discover_Islam%2FDIELayout

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 13 June 2008 at 11:27am

Purposes of Islamic Law (Maqasid Al-Shariah)

Why is giving charity (zakah ) one of Islam's principle 'pillars'?

What are the physical and spiritual benefits of fasting the month of Ramadan?

Why is drinking any amount of alcohol a major sin in Islam?

What is the link between today's notions of human rights and Islamic law? How can the Islamic law contribute to 'development' and 'civility'?

'Maqasid al-Shariah' are principles that provide answers to the above questions and similar questions about the Islamic law.

Maqasid include the wisdoms behind rulings, such as 'enhancing social welfare,' which is one of the wisdoms behind charity, and 'developing consciousness of God,' which is one of the wisdoms behind fasting.

Maqasid are also good ends that the laws aim to achieve by blocking, or opening, certain means. Thus, the Maqasid of 'preserving people's minds and souls' explain the total and strict Islamic ban on alcohol and intoxicants. Maqasid are also the group of divine intents and moral concepts upon which the Islamic law is based, such as, justice, human dignity, free will, magnanimity, facilitation, and social cooperation. Thus, they represent the link between the Islamic law and today's notions of human rights, development, and civility.

http://www.readingislam.com/servlet/Satellite?c=Article_C&cid=1212394814337&pagename=Zone-English-Discover_Islam%2FDIELayout

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 18 June 2008 at 1:17am

Peace and Justice in Islam

Peace and justice, are joined in the slogans we hear from many activists, especially here in the United States, "No Justice, No Peace!"

This linkage is logical, as justice must be considered one of the indispensable prerequisites of any lasting peace.

This article intends to briefly look at the ideas of peace and justice in Islam and explore their deeper significance in the life of a Muslim

http://www.islamicity.com/articles/Articles.asp?ref=IC0602-2924

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 23 June 2008 at 12:51am

Beyond Hope and Fear: Learning to Love Prayers

Q: The number one reason I keep coming back to performing salah is that I fear Allah, but then I get weak. It's killing me inside and I feel so sad. Could you please give me some pointers?

A: hope should always outweigh fear. First, as Imam Al-Ghazali mentions, continuous dependence on fear undoubtedly leads to despair. At any stage, one should have a little more hope than fear.

Works based on hope are so much better than ones based on fear. This is why traditional scholars of Islam say that throughout life, Muslims should not think that they are destined for salvation and Paradise; but when on the deathbed, Muslims should believe otherwise — Allah will be pleased and will accept them into Paradise.

Still, neither fear nor hope is the highest rank that believers should aim for. Ihsan (excellence), as explained by our most beloved Prophet, is "worshiping Allah as if you see Him" (Muslim). This is the highest form of worship. It consists of many more aspects than mere fear or hope: love, satisfaction, absolute submission to Allah, infinite certitude, and intent for closeness ...

Beyond Hope and Fear: Learning to Love Prayers

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 25 June 2008 at 1:32am

Torn Between Two Loves

The Story of Zainab, the Prophet's Eldest Daughter

As a young Arab woman, she was married to a wealthy man from Shams, a tribe of Quraish.

However, as Islam came to Makkah, little did the family realize that Zainab's marriage had to be terminated, having to choose her beloved father over her husband.

Her tale is an emotional one, embalmed in tears — both sad and happy. ...

After returning the goods to Makkah, Abul-Aas made his way back to Madinah and embraced Islam. The Prophet reinstated his marriage to Zainab. It was one of the happiest days of his family and the city of Madinah rejoiced at their reunion ...

http://www.readingislam.com/servlet/Satellite?c=Article_C&cid=1212925450783&pagename=Zone-English-Discover_Islam%2FDIELayout

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 28 June 2008 at 12:33am

Zakah Made Easy

Q: I've recently converted to Islam and I'd like to know about zakah:

When to give it, how much to give, and any conditions of the charity given.

A: Zakah is the third pillar of Islam. It is obligatory on each Muslim, male or female, provided its conditions are met. To be subject to Zakah, you must own (outside exempt items that will follow) an amount called nisab that equals approximately Euro 1000. Once you own this amount, you look a lunar year later (i.e. after the passage of 354 days), if then you have Euro 1000 or more you are required to pay zakah on all the amount you have at the rate of 2.5 percent. This is repeated every year on that same date. This date sets what we call the fiscal year for one's zakah. This means zakah is on savings and wealth

Exempt items include every part of income a person spends (in contrast to what he or she saves), residence (whether owned or rented), personal and household items (like cloth, furnitures, appliances, and personal and family transportation means, be it a horse, a car or a plane as long as it is for personal transportation), and women jewelry as long as it is in reasonable amounts and in use (in contrast to being hoarded or excessive compared to her peers).

In other words, zakah is required on savings, long-term savings (like managed retirement plans, investment, shares, business assets, and inventory). ...

http://www.islamonline.net/servlet/Satellite?cid=1213871212182&pagename=IslamOnline-English-Ask_Scholar%2FFatwaE%2FFatwaEAskTheScholar

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

<< Prev Page  of 97 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version