Hall of FameHall of Fame  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp  chatChat
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Learn about Islam
 Whyislam.org Forums : Learn About Islam : Learn about Islam  
Message Icon Topic: Discover Islam .... Post Reply Post New Topic
<< Prev Page  of 97 Next >>
Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Religion: Islam(Muslim)
Forum Rating: 159
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 09 September 2008 at 3:04am

Does God Hear me?

Recently, I asked God for something very, very important to me. I prayed to Him night and day. I got up in the early morning to pray extra devotional prayers before sunrise to make that supplication to Him. I prayed to God at times when the Prophet said God will answer those who pray to Him. I prayed almost constantly for this particular thing. It did not come.

Needless to say, I was sad and disappointed. In the midst of my sadness, a barrage of thoughts and questions raced through my head: "What went wrong? Was it something I did or said? Is God angry with me?" In fact, I almost wanted to say, "Why?" Furthermore, my sadness gave way to momentary spiritual weakness in that I had transient thoughts of rebellion against God. I said to myself, "All this prayer, and it was not answered. Did God not hear me?" 

No, God indeed did hear me, but He chose not to give me what I asked of Him at this particular moment in my life. The above exchange in my head was born out of the fact that I am a human being, subject to all of the weaknesses and hypocrisies of the human condition.

http://www.islamicity.com/articles/Articles.asp?ref=IC0809-3659

Think Win-Win for a better world for all...

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

No Guest-Voting   IP IP Logged
Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 10 September 2008 at 2:49am

The Prophet Muhammad Today

Black and white, red and yellow, followers of the Prophet Muhammad come from all races. Whether in Asia or Europe, Africa or America, in every nook and cranny of this globe, you are sure to find Muslims. They live in the most advanced, sprawling megalopolis as well as in the most primitive nomadic tent, village, hamlet, and even in the bush.

As now so always, down the centuries, across the planet, from end to end, billions and billions of men and women have lived all their lives, loving the Prophet and trying to follow in his footsteps, as no one else has been so loved and followed.

They have lived and died, believed and acted, married and raised families, worshipped and ruled, made war and peace, even eaten and dressed, walked and slept, just as he did or taught them to do.

Indeed, never in history has a man influenced mankind, even beyond his death, so deeply and so pervasively as he has. He brings light and peace to countless hearts and lives. They love him more dearly than their own selves. In him they find their greatest source of inspiration and guidance.

He is the ultimate norm and the perfect example for them. Faith in him is their mainstay, and he is their chief source of support and comfort in all personal vicissitudes and tribulations. They also look to him to lead them through social and political turmoil.

He has always inspired them to greater and greater heights of spiritual and moral upliftment and civilizational achievements. And still does.

In short, they believe that through him, a human like themselves, God has spoken to them, and guided him to live amongst them, setting an example and a model for all times to come.

http://www.readingislam.com/servlet/Satellite?c=Article_C&cid=1220346290567&pagename=Zone-English-Discover_Islam%2FDIELayout

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 13 September 2008 at 2:16am

The Fruits of Fasting

Fasting instills compassion in humans. A compassionate society is better than an arrogant society. In addition, only when you are in one's shoes can you know where they pinch. It is only by staying hungry, and keeping our regular activities, we can know how those less fortunate than us get through the day.

This compassion would inculcate the practice of regular charity. Charity in turn would benefit the economy of a society. There would be more equal distribution of wealth, and the less privileged would enjoy a better life.

Now let's see benefits for the individual. As per research done by Dr. Elson M. Haas, M.D., Director of the Preventive Medical Center of Marin, California, fasting is one of the best natural therapies for detoxification and cleansing of the system, which is one of the trilogies of nutrition.

According to Otto Buchinger, Sr., M.D., Germany's great therapist,  "Fasting is, without any doubt, the most effective biological method of treatment... it is the 'operation without surgery'... it is a cure involving exudation, re-attunement, redirection, loosening up and purified relaxation."

Similarly, there has been sufficient research to prove that fasting adds to healthy living, and is beneficial to humans.

Furthermore, fasting helps improve self-control. ...

http://www.readingislam.com/servlet/Satellite?c=Article_C&cid=1220866968768&pagename=Zone-English-Discover_Islam%2FDIELayout

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 14 September 2008 at 2:30am

GOODNESS IN ALL

All things are created with wisdom and with an ulterior purpose. In consort with this ulterior purpose, there are benefits for the believers in all happenings. Because Allah is on the believers' side and does not let them down.

Encounters in life may at first seem unfavorable for the believers. However, one should understand that even seemingly events, for example, a plot hatched against them by the others, will ultimately turn out well for them. Allah will sooner or later let them savor His beneficence so, believers should be completely sure that there is goodness in all. 

There are many examples of this kind of situation in the Qur'an; the life of Yusuf (Joseph) is one of the most remarkable. In his childhood, Yusuf had been thrown down to the bottom of a well by his brothers. He was later rescued and then accused and imprisoned, even though he was innocent.

For a person without faith, these incidents may be thought of as the greatest misfortunes. Nevertheless, Yusuf always kept in mind that these could only happen under Allah's will and that all would certainly turn out for the better. And this proved to be true. Allah turned the "disasters" to good account; Yusuf was released from prison and in time became one of the governors of that land

http://www.islamicity.com/articles/Articles.asp?ref=HY0809-3672

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 15 September 2008 at 3:12pm

The Fasting of Ramadan: A Time for Thought, Action, and Change!

"Fasting in Ramadan develops in a person the real spirit of social belonging, of unity and brotherhood, and of equality before God.

This spirit is the natural product of the fact that when people fast they feel that they are joining the whole Muslim society (which makes up more than one fifth of world's population) in observing the same duty, in the same manner, at the same time, for the same motives, and for the same end.

No sociologist or historian can say that there has been at any period of history anything comparable to this powerful institution of Islam: Fasting in the month of Ramadan. People have been crying throughout the ages for acceptable 'belonging', for unity, for brotherhood, for equality, but how echoless their voices have been, and how very little success they have met..." says Hammudah Abdalati, in Islam in Focus.

"What is fasting?" "How does the fasting of Muslims in Ramadan differ from the fasting of other faiths?" "Why should one 'torture' one's body in the first place?" "What do you really gain from fasting in the end?"...These are a few questions that a number of non-Muslim friends and colleagues often ask us, usually out of fascination with this spiritually-uplifting practice of Islamic faith, and at times out of pity and sympathy for us, thinking, why should anyone suffer from hunger and thirst like Muslims? ...

http://www.islamicity.com/articles/Articles.asp?ref=UT0709-3357

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 17 September 2008 at 1:34am

Ten Days of Forgiveness: Ready?

The blessed days of Ramadan are passing so quickly.

The special days of Allah's great mercy, forgiveness and favors are going; therefore, every one should evaluate the efforts he exerted in Ramadan before it is too late. Prophet Muhammad (peace and blessings be upon him) told us that the first part of Ramadan is for Allah's mercy, its middle is for forgiveness, and its end is for salvation from Hell-fire.

No one knows whether or not he gained the mercy of Almighty Allah before the end of the first third of Ramadan. We should all be faithful and honest when evaluating our success in gaining His mercy in the first part of this blessed month. We should realize our shortcomings in order not to miss out on the blessings of the few days that remain.

Now we are favored with the days of forgiveness. Are we ready to work for forgiveness? Have we prepared ourselves to be forgiven by Almighty Allah? It is our great opportunity to repent, to return to Almighty Allah, and to seek His forgiveness. It is a precious time that we should not miss out on. If we fail to gain the forgiveness of Almighty Allah during the days of forgiveness, when would our sins would be forgiven?

Prophet Muhammad (peace and blessings be upon him), his companions, and the righteous Muslims throughout the ages used to pay due attention to Ramadan and the blessings it contains. Wise people should never miss the merits of every single day of Ramadan.

Now, the important question is: How should we seek the forgiveness of Almighty Allah during these blessed days of Ramadan? Below are some tips that we should consider and implement:

1. Everybody should sincerely repent to Almighty Allah, seeking His forgiveness,

2. Wrongdoings and prohibitions should be avoided,

3. One should offer more optional acts of worship such as Tahajjud (night prayer), charity, dhikr, and Qur’an recitation.

4. Obligatory acts of worship such as the five daily prayers should be carried out properly and faithfully, and

5. One should earnestly make du`aa’ to Almighty Allah to bless him with His favors and forgiveness.

O Allah, help us all to gain Your mercy, forgiveness, and blessings, Ameen.

http://www.islamonline.net/English/Ramadan/Heart_Softening/School/13.shtml

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 17 September 2008 at 2:52pm

Ramadan: Striving for God Consciousness

The essence of fasting Ramadan and its goal is summed in the Qur'an in one word: taqwa.

"O you who believe! Fasting is prescribed to you as it was prescribed to those before you, that you may attain taqwa." (Qur'an 2:183)

But what is taqwa? And how does it relate to the physical act of fasting?

Taqwa is a recurring theme in the Qur'an and a paramount Qur'anic value. Taqwa is both an attitude and a process. It is the proper attitude of the human toward the divine that denotes love, devotion, and fear. Love to the source of good and beauty that make life worth living; devotion to God's boundless wisdom and majesty; and fear of misunderstanding the divine intent or failing in maintaining the appropriate posture and relationship. 

The attitude of taqwa cannot and does not stay in the confines of the human spirit, but is ultimately revealed in expression and action. The attitude of taqwa is ultimately revealed in, and in turn reveals, the true character it nurtures: the commitment to the sublime values stressed by divine revelations of courage, generosity, compassion, honesty, steadfastness, and cooperation in pursuing what is right and true.

Taqwa is equally the process by which the believers internalize the sublime values of revelation and develop their character. Thus the Qur'an reminds the believers that they should not reduce religious practices to a set of blind rituals, of religiously ordained procedures performed at the level of physical movement, and that they should always be mindful that religious practices, like praying and fasting, ultimately aim at bringing about moral and spiritual uplifting ...

http://www.islamicity.com/articles/Articles.asp?ref=IC0510-2816

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 19 September 2008 at 2:05am

Gems of the Quran: The Gates of Hell vs. The Gates of Paradise

Allah says: The people are being driven to the gates of Paradise. They are being taken there and they come upon Paradise....and - They find the gates ALREADY OPEN. They saw it while coming upon it, they saw it as they came upon it, they are able to gaze into the open doors. This SINGLE LETTER causes the image of these gates to change by showing the state of the gates as the people come upon them.

There is no surprise. There is no questioning. There is no wonder if this place is meant for them....it is meant for them. They are welcome. The gates are open already and it is why they have been taken there. Paradise is theirs and they are being called into it from these gates.

http://www.islamicity.com/articles/Articles.asp?ref=SW0809-3680

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 20 September 2008 at 3:06am

I Am Fasting: Prophet Muhammad in Ramadan

The Prophet tells us that if someone is to argue or slander a fasting person, he should say: "I am fasting." A lot of people will just read this without reflecting upon what it alludes to. I confess I was one of these people for a long time.

However, when I discovered what lies behind these words, I was amazed. Such a statement is basically a message in time management and power management. To make this simple, imagine if you are sitting at your office doing something very important and do not want to see anyone, what can you simply do?

You may think of putting a notice at your door saying 'BUSY.' If you are in a meeting and do not want anyone to interrupt, you will simply either silence your mobile phone or switch it off and turn on the red light at the door of your office.

This is very important in time management. Otherwise, if you leave everything running as normal, it will be, at least, extremely difficult to accomplish any task.

Likewise, the sign of 'I am fasting' keeps intruders away and allows you to make the most out of your fasting.

Upon raising — whether verbally, or mentally — such a sign of 'I am fasting' Muslims are always reminded of our task and main goal, so as not to be consumed in any side tasks like arguing with others, disputing with them, or trying to win a discussion.

This is a very important lesson in time management and personal development, since the person who puts so many things in front of his eyes will definitely fail to accomplish any of them perfectly.

In time management, we are always encouraged to plan our time by making a time sheet that specifies what we will be doing at what time and this is definitely what is meant by raising such a sign 'I am fasting.' It is as if you are announcing to any time destroyers that this time is dedicated to this task of fasting and it cannot be spoiled by anything else ...

http://www.readingislam.com/servlet/Satellite?c=Article_C&cid=1221720120173&pagename=Zone-English-Discover_Islam%2FDIELayout

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 23 September 2008 at 2:15am

Prophets...What If They Were Angels?

Why did God choose human beings as His messengers? Wouldn't it be more appropriate if God sent angels to guide people and to show them the straight path? Wouldn't people be more eager to believe an angel than merely another human like themselves? How fair would it be for human beings to have angels as their prophets?

A messenger is assigned to convey the law of God and to inform people about the divine message, so he must be one of them — speaking their language and knowing their habits — to be able to convey the message. People must have known him before his mission; his honesty, truthfulness, and noble manners should be unquestionable.

Not only would the prophet convey the divine law, but he would also teach people how to apply it. The law is theoretical and must be practically applied; people need to see their messenger offering prayers, performing Hajj, and applying the divine law he brought to them. Therefore, the humanity of the prophet is imperative.

For this reason, God chose honorable humans to be His Prophets, a choice that the disbelievers would oppose till the Day of Judgment. Every prophet was a human and was attacked by his people for being one.

http://www.readingislam.com/servlet/Satellite?c=Article_C&cid=1184649613925&pagename=Zone-English-Discover_Islam%2FDIELayout

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Cyra  
Religion: Unknown(Unknown)
Forum Rating: 0
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Cyra Replybullet Posted: 24 September 2008 at 1:37pm
As mere humans, we could not handle the sight of God Himself.  I think also, that most have a problem believing what they see with their own eyes.

As far as the prophets having all the answers?  No, not as accepted in human terms.  But if you were to research the holy books a little deeper, you might find that the answers have been provided by God through the prophets.

This is in response to something scruggnut posted.

Edited by Cyra - 24 September 2008 at 1:39pm
Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 24 September 2008 at 2:55pm
Welcome to the forum Cyra

Responsibility and Accountability

Islam teaches that every human being was made equally responsible for his or her actions. The idea that any saint or priest or even prophet shall intercede without God's will and save any person from the dire consequences of one's deeds was rebutted.

Despite diversity in color, race, language, religious belief and tradition, the Quran emphasizes that humanity have a common origin and a common destiny. All human beings have a common origin and a common Creator.

One of the evil traits of character to which Pharaoh had degraded himself, mentioned in the Quran, was that he had divided his people into high and low, noble and ignoble. And one of these two classes he despised and degraded .

The teachings of the Prophet Muhammad, reflect the Quranic pronouncements,

Prophet Muhammad said:

O people remember that your Lord is one. An Arab has no superiority over a non-Arab nor a non-Arab has any superiority over an Arab, also a black has no superiority over white, nor a white has any superiority over black, except by piety and virtuous deeds. (Al-Baihaqi)

He also said:

Let people stop boasting about their ancestors. One is only a pious believer or a miserable sinner. All men are progenies of Adam and Adam made from dust. (Abu Dawud)

The Quran begins with the assertion that God is not the God of Muslims alone; He is the Creator and Sustainer of all mankind and of the whole universe.

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 26 September 2008 at 6:42am

Wisdom behind Prohibition of Riba (Usury)

Q: Could you please furnish me with the wisdom behind the prohibition of Riba?

A: "Islam permits increase in capital through trade.

Referring to this, Allah Almighty says, “O you who believe, do not consume your property among yourselves wrongfully, but let there be trade by mutual consent...” (An-Nisa’: 29)

At the same time, Islam blocks the way for anyone who tries to increase his capital through lending on usury or interest (Rriba), whether it is at a low or a high rate, ...

The wisdom behind the prohibition of interest

The strict prohibition of interest in Islam is a result of its deep concern for the moral, social, and economic welfare of mankind. Muslim scholars have sound arguments explaining the wisdom of this prohibition, and recent studies have confirmed their opinions, with some additions and extensions of their arguments. ...

http://www.islamonline.net/servlet/Satellite?pagename=IslamOnline-English-Ask_Scholar/FatwaE/FatwaE&cid=1119503543140

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 27 September 2008 at 2:15pm

Achieving Piety Through Fasting

Islam teaches that the purpose of fasting is not to make people hungry and thirsty, or to deprive them some of their comfort and conveniences. The real purpose of fasting, according to Islam, is to learn piety.

Pietyis highly emphasized in the Quran and Sunnah. There are more than 158 verses in the Quran on piety, and there are hundreds of hadiths on this subject.

Muslim scholars see pietyas being Islam itself. It is the total sum of all Islamic values and virtues. If one has piety,one has achieved everything. Pietyis the consciousness of God. It is to do one's best efforts to live by His commands and to avoid His prohibitions.

http://www.readingislam.com/servlet/Satellite?c=Article_C&cid=1219723077652&pagename=Zone-English-Discover_Islam%2FDIELayout

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

<< Prev Page  of 97 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version