Hall of FameHall of Fame  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp  chatChat
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Current Events
 Whyislam.org Forums : General : Current Events
Message Icon Topic: Women Soldiers Raped by Soldiers More Than Killed Post Reply Post New Topic
Page  of 4 Next >>
M.A.R.W.A.N
Mureed
Mureed
Dragon rescuer, Virgin slayer.
Religion: Unknown(Unknown)
Forum Rating: 134
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote M.A.R.W.A.N Replybullet Topic: Women Soldiers Raped by Soldiers More Than Killed
    Posted: 01 April 2008 at 2:13pm
I'm not shocked easily but even this is beyond my understanding. The 41% & 29% are brutal.

In today ’s LA Times, Rep. Jane Harman sheds light on the staggering number of sexual assaults within the military, stating, “Women serving in the U.S. military are more likely to be raped by a fellow soldier than killed by enemy fire in Iraq."

Rapists in the Ranks
Sexual assaults are frequent, and frequently ignored, in the armed services.

By Jane Harman (note: she's a seven-term Democratic member of House of Representatives, 36th Dist., California, "chairs the House Homeland Security subcommittee on intelligence.")

March 31, 2008

The stories are shocking in their simplicity and brutality: A female military recruit is pinned down at knifepoint and raped repeatedly in her own barracks. Her attackers hid their faces but she identified them by their uniforms; they were her fellow soldiers. During a routine gynecological exam, a female soldier is attacked and raped by her military physician. Yet another young soldier, still adapting to life in a war zone, is raped by her commanding officer. Afraid for her standing in her unit, she feels she has nowhere to turn.

These are true stories, and, sadly, not isolated incidents. Women serving in the U.S. military are more likely to be raped by a fellow soldier than killed by enemy fire in Iraq.

The scope of the problem was brought into acute focus for me during a visit to the West Los Angeles VA Healthcare Center, where I met with female veterans and their doctors. My jaw dropped when the doctors told me that 41% of female veterans seen at the clinic say they were victims of sexual assault while in the military, and 29% report being raped during their military service.

For more ==> http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/commentary/la-oe-harman31mar31,0,5399612.story

Edited by M.A.R.W.A.N - 01 April 2008 at 2:23pm
No Guest-Voting   IP IP Logged
hamayoun  
Super Mureed
Super Mureed
The Humble Muslim
Religion: Islam(Sunni)
Forum Rating: 0
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote hamayoun Replybullet Posted: 01 April 2008 at 2:22pm
Salam

Unbelievable.  Please note that this the LA Times, not Al Jazeera.  The question that comes to mind for me is: if this what they do to their own female soldiers, what the hell are they doing to the 'enemy' women?
May Allah give me patience, Ameen.

My blog: http://regularbaba.blogspot.com/
bayleaf  
Graduate
Graduate
Religion: Buddhism(Buddhism)
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote bayleaf Replybullet Posted: 01 April 2008 at 2:40pm
I'm not shocked.  As far as current headlines go, I'm more shocked to see the Detroit Pistons unseat Shaq and the Suns...

I mean, these are precisely the sort of statistics that the ongoing debate on women in the military has long forecasted.  I'm not saying it's acceptable behavior, but it is nonetheless normal behavior.
scruggnut  
Mureed
Mureed
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote scruggnut Replybullet Posted: 01 April 2008 at 2:51pm
I'm not surprised, actually.  It seems likely that many people who enlist into the military (especially the american military) must have a few screws loose, to say the least.
Waiting an eternity for an apology from one who never apologizes but always demands one.
devd  
Sophmore Member
Sophmore Member
Religion: Islam(Muslim)
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote devd Replybullet Posted: 01 April 2008 at 3:18pm
Originally posted by scruggnut

I'm not surprised, actually.  It seems likely that many people who enlist into the military (especially the american military) must have a few screws loose, to say the least.

Why does it seem likely?
scruggnut  
Mureed
Mureed
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote scruggnut Replybullet Posted: 01 April 2008 at 3:23pm
I guess that i'm coming from a place where i wouldn't hurt anyone unless they hurt me, but in doing so, i would know full well why i'm doing it.
Within the military, one can go somewhere to fight someone that they don't even have a clear idea as to why they are fighting, but they only know that their commander in chief told them to.
Also, it's my belief that many people who enter a thing such as the military, do so because of the power they would wield and that type of thing suggests an unchecked ego.

Edited by scruggnut - 01 April 2008 at 3:24pm
Waiting an eternity for an apology from one who never apologizes but always demands one.
ScoobyGurl  
Mureed
Mureed
The Modern Muslimah
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote ScoobyGurl Replybullet Posted: 01 April 2008 at 4:07pm
Originally posted by bayleaf

I'm not shocked.  As far as current headlines go, I'm more shocked to see the Detroit Pistons unseat Shaq and the Suns...

I mean, these are precisely the sort of statistics that the ongoing debate on women in the military has long forecasted.  I'm not saying it's acceptable behavior, but it is nonetheless normal behavior.

ditto.
Aviatrix  
Admin Group
Admin Group
WhyIslam Forum Moderator
Forum Rating: 123
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Aviatrix Replybullet Posted: 01 April 2008 at 4:10pm
I haven't found any good news reports about it but it sure seems like there are a lot of wives of soldiers who end up getting beaten, and even murdered, when their husbands come home. A lot of murder-suicides. Most of the ones we seem to hear about here are from the military bases (which aren't too far from where I live.)

About women soldiers being raped... it's almost certainly higher than it seems, since they probably risk being ostracized if they report it, more so than the men who are responsible.

My brother-in-law was in the Marines, and spent 6 months (pre-9/11) on an aircraft carrier, and I got the impression from him that women on the boat aren't respected at all. He also said some of them even prostitute themselves to other soldiers for cash.

The whole system is soooooooo messed up, so wrong.
M.A.R.W.A.N
Mureed
Mureed
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote M.A.R.W.A.N Replybullet Posted: 02 April 2008 at 10:19am
It's hard to believe I live in a time when women soldiers getting regularly raped by their own is considered normal.

I've got to give Mrs. Jane H. the credit/courage for writing this report, can't be easy in an election year. But damn, this is disturbing, purely barbaric.

There is no way in hell good can come from these kind of people, those that do it (and those that don't do anything about it).

Bloody hell, what kind of army do we have now!

Edited by M.A.R.W.A.N - 02 April 2008 at 10:22am
Eli'jah
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Eli'jah Replybullet Posted: 02 April 2008 at 2:27pm
What do you care, you hate the military anyways....
The Messenger warned: ‘Do you know that the communities preceding you went astray because they wrote down from others beside the Book of God.’
mai moslemah  
Mureed
Mureed
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote mai moslemah Replybullet Posted: 02 April 2008 at 2:38pm
Hey Eli'jah ...long time
But don`t you see?that i am truely free? this piece of scarf on me;i wear so proudly to preserve my dignity,modesty & integrity....why can`t i just be me??? "i am the one who is free!!!!

Islamway  
Mureed
Mureed
Allahu Akbar
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Islamway Replybullet Posted: 02 April 2008 at 3:02pm
Aren't those so called soldiers trained to fight? how come they can't defend themselves from being raped?
MedGirl
Mureed
Mureed
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote MedGirl Replybullet Posted: 02 April 2008 at 3:11pm
Originally posted by Islamway

Aren't those so called soldiers trained to fight? how come they can't defend themselves from being raped?

Good question lol
M.A.R.W.A.N
Mureed
Mureed
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote M.A.R.W.A.N Replybullet Posted: 02 April 2008 at 3:17pm
not here, next page

Edited by M.A.R.W.A.N - 02 April 2008 at 3:25pm
Page  of 4 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version