Hall of FameHall of Fame  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp  chatChat
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Current Events
 Whyislam.org Forums : General : Current Events
Message Icon Topic: Women Soldiers Raped by Soldiers More Than Killed Post Reply Post New Topic
<< Prev Page  of 4 Next >>
Misbah  
Super Mureed
Super Mureed
Religion: Islam(Sunni)
Forum Rating: 103
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Misbah Replybullet Posted: 02 April 2008 at 8:25pm
Originally posted by jamilahz

You don't think that women being placed in combat zones does not increase their chances of being raped?

Salaam,

No it shouldn't increase anything as because the women are actually working, they are colleagues and should be respect that way. As before, its like so if a women was working in a office with mainly men, does this increase her chances of getting raped?.. no it shouldn't.. if it does then well ....I'm pretty shocked.

(I mean I'm not being sarcastic, I'm questioning myself)

Edited by Misbah - 02 April 2008 at 8:39pm
"Donít be so humble - you ain't that great."
No Guest-Voting   IP IP Logged
jamilahz  
Graduate
Graduate
in exile
Religion: Islam(Muslim)
Forum Rating: 0
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote jamilahz Replybullet Posted: 02 April 2008 at 8:31pm
Well it shouldn't but it does... 
www.hudastore.com

www.theoneislam.com
Misbah  
Super Mureed
Super Mureed
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Misbah Replybullet Posted: 02 April 2008 at 8:39pm
Yeah i know....

Anyway Bedtime for moi.
12.38a.m

Wasalaam
bayleaf  
Graduate
Graduate
Religion: Buddhism(Buddhism)
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote bayleaf Replybullet Posted: 02 April 2008 at 9:39pm
I don't want to turn this into a discussion about extra-military rape statistics, but I do want to slightly shift the focus for just a second.  Misbah asks above,

As before, its like so if a women was working in a office with mainly men, does this increase her chances of getting raped?.. no it shouldn't.. if it does then well ....I'm pretty shocked.

This is an excellent question.  Should it?  Yes and no.

On the 'no' side, the woman should feel relatively safe due to the legal consequences and repercussions she can pursue as a rights-entitled citizen, not to mention the company policies pertaining to sexual harassment.  However, sometimes a woman's rights can be bought out, and corporate executives and their cronies are typically in a position to do such.

On the 'yes' side, I'm actually quite convinced that a woman's chances of being raped when outnumbered by men is significantly greater than when a higher concentration of women is present.  This reminds me of a small blip in an episode of "Family Guy" -- a group of college students are watching a movie on a large screen.  The woman on the movie screen says, "Hi, Iím Kelly McGillis and Iím here to talk to you about rape. Ladies, look to your left. Now look to your right. Statistics indicate that both of those men will rape you."  The camera then focuses on a college girl sitting between two guys.  She looks nervously at them.  The first guy says, "I'm not gonna rape you."

Guy number two: "I might."
Aviatrix  
Admin Group
Admin Group
WhyIslam Forum Moderator
Forum Rating: 123
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Aviatrix Replybullet Posted: 02 April 2008 at 10:52pm
I thought I would add something here...

I know that many (most? all?) soldiers are in fact trained to show respect to women. When a soldier's wife enters the base the officer guarding the checkpoint will salute her. Officers were supposed to be gentlemen, and respectful.

The rape issue is as a lot of people have already described--an attack on woman to show power, put her in her place, etc. I would expect that often it is a group attack rather than an individual one, with several men subduing the woman. It doesn't necessarily have anything to do with being in a combat zone--clearly, if rapes are still happening during peacetime (which they do).
ScoobyGurl  
Mureed
Mureed
The Modern Muslimah
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote ScoobyGurl Replybullet Posted: 03 April 2008 at 12:16am

Originally posted by ScoobyGurl

I did a bunch of google searches on non US military and women and didn't come up with anything of consequence.  Either other countries do not have women in combat zones or it does not happen much.

There are other countries that have women in combat zones. Israel being the first example that came to my mind. Canada, Germany, Denmark, and Norway also allow women in combat. However, that doesn't have anything to do with women in the military getting raped.

You had said you doubt that the US military was the only placed this occurred, so I was looking for findings on that. 

You don't think that women being placed in combat zones does not increase their chances of being raped?

It's not being in combat that increases their chances of rape. In the study, there was no correlation between being in combat and rape. The women were being raped by other soldiers, fellow soldiers.

ETA: Amy and bayleaf pretty much explained it much better.

Edited by ScoobyGurl - 03 April 2008 at 12:23am
sahbun  
Sophmore Member
Sophmore Member
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote sahbun Replybullet Posted: 06 April 2008 at 9:10am
If you think yhat you will put women in army and their male soldiers will treat them as their sisters........ then you are the biggest fool.
especially in case of American army.
Everyone knows better than me...........
Misbah  
Super Mureed
Super Mureed
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Misbah Replybullet Posted: 07 April 2008 at 6:22am
Oh please! to the above! you cant just say 'American Soldiers' its happens everywhere it's just you don't hear about it!

sahbun  
Sophmore Member
Sophmore Member
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote sahbun Replybullet Posted: 07 April 2008 at 7:06am
I said especially in case of
Everyone knows better than me...........
ScoobyGurl  
Mureed
Mureed
The Modern Muslimah
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote ScoobyGurl Replybullet Posted: 07 April 2008 at 10:44am
Right, because Americans are especially evil and immoral. .
M.A.R.W.A.N
Mureed
Mureed
Dragon rescuer, Virgin slayer.
Religion: Unknown(Unknown)
Forum Rating: 134
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote M.A.R.W.A.N Replybullet Posted: 07 April 2008 at 11:08am
To be fair, he specifically wrote American army, he did not write Americans.

Some time ago people would have blamed the Germans, other times Japanese...sometimes Crusaders and yet other times Communists....

Let's not be surprised now that we're in the mix, afterall, our Government has invaded 2 countries recently, supported countless human rights violations internationaly and I remember some time ago according to BBC, this had spilled over we were ranked as the Biggest Threat to Global Peace.

So yes, the general perception against us is very real. It's not fair that americans have to pay for the mistakes of their Government (or their military) - but in the irony of ironies, the bad publicity against Muslims is now happening to americans as well. Just like it happened to people before us.

Edited by M.A.R.W.A.N - 07 April 2008 at 11:11am
jamilahz  
Graduate
Graduate
in exile
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote jamilahz Replybullet Posted: 07 April 2008 at 11:11am
Good points Marwan.. 
www.hudastore.com

www.theoneislam.com
M.A.R.W.A.N
Mureed
Mureed
Dragon rescuer, Virgin slayer.
Religion: Unknown(Unknown)
Forum Rating: 134
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote M.A.R.W.A.N Replybullet Posted: 07 April 2008 at 11:12am

Thank you Jamilah.

deep thought  
Undergraduate
Undergraduate
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote deep thought Replybullet Posted: 07 April 2008 at 11:22am
U see.. This is where u guys are wrong....  Sadly, women are raped in ALL societies... Why should the U.S. Military be any different..? I dont condone the rape of anyone but people are people no mater what organization they belong to. Yes, we try to hold ourselves to a higher standard than the normal "Joe" in America but we have our bad apples... I assure u that the people who do things like this to female soldiers are in the minority.. VERY SMALL PERCENTAGE. I, for example, wouldn't dare do such a thing and I am the majority... We are tauht to respect women and I guarantee u the average soldier has better manners when dealing with women than a non-military man in the U.S.. Its not fair that u guys slam the whole military for a small faction of idiots.... U guys cry when people slam Islam as a terroist religion for the actions of few... Lets cut the hypocrisy!! MARWAN, you're a pretty cool guy but dont get me started on Iraq... I think my opinion carries more weight.. I live in Baghdad... I talk to locals... I have a pretty good idea of whats REALLY going on.... I'll say this... We were wrong for invading Iraq on the REASONS GIVEN... I'll leave it at that!
<< Prev Page  of 4 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version