Hall of FameHall of Fame  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp  chatChat
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
General Discussion
 Whyislam.org Forums : General : General Discussion
Message Icon Topic: The role of the United Nations Post Reply Post New Topic
Page  of 2 Next >>
Bill2702  
Super Mureed
Super Mureed
Golly goo deaf hello
Religion: Unknown(Unknown)
Forum Rating: 0
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Bill2702 Replybullet Topic: The role of the United Nations
    Posted: 01 April 2008 at 3:17pm
I would be interested in what you guys think of the role of the United Nations, Its past, the present situation and where you see (or hope for) it's future lies?

If you believe it should be disbanded what would you replace it with?

Any Thoughts?

Edited by Bill2702 - 01 April 2008 at 3:19pm
Anything free is worth what you pay for it.
No Guest-Voting   IP IP Logged
scruggnut  
Mureed
Mureed
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote scruggnut Replybullet Posted: 01 April 2008 at 3:27pm

I like the idea of the u.n; but like most things which are of a highly political nature, it seldom lives up to its billing.

Waiting an eternity for an apology from one who never apologizes but always demands one.
hamayoun  
Super Mureed
Super Mureed
The Humble Muslim
Religion: Islam(Sunni)
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote hamayoun Replybullet Posted: 01 April 2008 at 3:34pm
Salam

In theory, good idea.  In practice, the ability for any of the permanent members to veto anything renders it very feeble.
May Allah give me patience, Ameen.

My blog: http://regularbaba.blogspot.com/
Aviatrix  
Admin Group
Admin Group
WhyIslam Forum Moderator
Religion: Islam(Muslim)
Forum Rating: 123
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Aviatrix Replybullet Posted: 01 April 2008 at 5:22pm
If the UN is supposed to uphold international law, then the security council should not give preference to some nations over others--and there shouldn't be permanent members who are more important than elected members.
Bill2702  
Super Mureed
Super Mureed
Golly goo deaf hello
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Bill2702 Replybullet Posted: 01 April 2008 at 5:47pm
Two point I would like to make.

1/ The rules regarding the membership of the security council are clearly outmoded and need to be changed.

The trouble is that, for it to be effective the council must be able to committ manpower on the ground to ensure resolution of confilct. How is that achieved?

2/ Secondly consider the work of the W.H.O and U.N.E.S.C.O and similar agencies.

Aviatrix  
Admin Group
Admin Group
WhyIslam Forum Moderator
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Aviatrix Replybullet Posted: 01 April 2008 at 6:38pm

How about the members decide to follow international law? I mean, they don't make very good stewards of international democracy if they themselves engage in illegal invasions, conquests, and occupations... AHEM!

Overall the UN is impotent in such matters of martial conflict--whether internally in a state (where they supposedly have no authorization) and even external aggression against a nation. Its impotence relates not first to the absence of available manpower to intervene, but rather to the corrupt and seemingly absolute authority granted to only a handful of nations which keep any manpower as well as the bureaucracy on a rather short leash.
Bill2702  
Super Mureed
Super Mureed
Golly goo deaf hello
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Bill2702 Replybullet Posted: 01 April 2008 at 6:45pm
I agree Amy, yet it it is a political body (on the security issue at least).

There is not a single nation on Earth currently willing to give sovereignty to the UN over the deployment of it even part of it's military forces, not even temporarily.

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Forum Rating: 159
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 01 April 2008 at 8:00pm
The UN has lost its credibility in recent years due to double standards

The same rules should be applied equally to all countries

That is a basic foundation of jujstice, and without justice there is no credibility

Think Win-Win for a better world for all...

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Aviatrix  
Admin Group
Admin Group
WhyIslam Forum Moderator
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Aviatrix Replybullet Posted: 01 April 2008 at 11:03pm
I see it as just another way for big bully countries to enforce their will over smaller less powerful countries.
Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Forum Rating: 159
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 02 April 2008 at 12:37am
Exactly

And that's why the system does not work: it's not founded on the just application of international law

Think Win-Win for a better world for all...

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

scruggnut  
Mureed
Mureed
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote scruggnut Replybullet Posted: 02 April 2008 at 9:59am
I agree with al and amy...the problem would exist even if every member state had an equal say because they would have their own agendas.
Waiting an eternity for an apology from one who never apologizes but always demands one.
Bill2702  
Super Mureed
Super Mureed
Golly goo deaf hello
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Bill2702 Replybullet Posted: 02 April 2008 at 12:29pm

Which would be true however it was run. Yet imagine what life would be like if no such international body existed however toothless. We see the cases of where it a has failed to prevent confict but I wonder how many times over the years since its inception conflicts were avoided simply because some nation knew that if they did it the whole international community would unite against them.

Bill2702  
Super Mureed
Super Mureed
Golly goo deaf hello
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Bill2702 Replybullet Posted: 02 April 2008 at 12:31pm
On the issue of voting power I think it should be proportional to population.
Aviatrix  
Admin Group
Admin Group
WhyIslam Forum Moderator
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Aviatrix Replybullet Posted: 02 April 2008 at 11:15pm
Against whom does the international community ever unite, though? They can't unite against an illegal Anglo-American war in the Middle East, they can't unite against the invasion of one superpower into another country, they can't unite against the oppression and occupation of one people by another country... remind me again what is the point?
Page  of 2 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version