Hall of FameHall of Fame  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp  chatChat
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
InterReligious Dialogue
 Whyislam.org Forums : General : InterReligious Dialogue
Message Icon Topic: I can't work it out... Post Reply Post New Topic
<< Prev Page  of 4
eldon  
Sophmore Member
Sophmore Member

Religion: Islam(Muslim)
Forum Rating: 0
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote eldon Replybullet Posted: 24 April 2008 at 9:21am
Christian substitutionary atonement also teaches that we-- our old man-- the body of sin-- carnal nature-- enmity to the law-- DIED on the cross.

Such an atonement is pictured in Leviticus 16 concerning the yearly Day of Atonement ritual in which 2 goats were selected, one to be sacrificed to atone for the holy place, tabernacle, and altar, and the other to make atonement by being set free to bear away the sins of Israel into a separate place.

I believe Jesus -- and no one else-- fulfilled that Day of Atonement ritual for Israel. While he was certainly willing to die so that Israel could be set free, and was certainly "evidently set forth as crucified", in effect, all who love him identify their sin as what was slain and receive the freedom of life everlasting that was IN him, which could not be slain.

That whole picture is briefly described in the Quran as: "they killed him not nor crucified him but it was made to appear so to them" in order to deny some Jews' boast that they had killed Jesus, without going into the details of what effectually took place there. It was a Victory for Jesus and Allah, not for the Jews and Satan who wanted to kill him.

Though it is not necessary for Muslims to believe all of those details, Christians should be able to "read between the lines" enough to see the whole truth of the matter from both the Biblical and Quranic perspective.
So lose not heart nor fall into despair, for ye MUST gain mastery if ye are true in faith.3:139

Islam">Islam
No Guest-Voting   IP IP Logged
eldon  
Sophmore Member
Sophmore Member

Religion: Islam(Muslim)
Forum Rating: 0
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote eldon Replybullet Posted: 24 April 2008 at 9:28am
Originally posted by Damo808

Even if you suggest he was present in heaven at the time of the Crucifixion, he did suffer on the cross, with his body present in this world. Suffering to the point of death to which He gave up His Spirit.

Apparently so!

I wasn't there to see it and I don't know exactly what all happened there; according to the Gospels, it is just as you say.

Yet I also believe the Quran to be correct in bluntly denying the Jews' boast that they had killed Messiah.
So lose not heart nor fall into despair, for ye MUST gain mastery if ye are true in faith.3:139

Islam">Islam
No Guest-Voting   IP IP Logged
<< Prev Page  of 4
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version