Hall of FameHall of Fame  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp  chatChat
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Current Events
 Whyislam.org Forums : General : Current Events
Message Icon Topic: Wilders' film Post Reply Post New Topic
<< Prev Page  of 3
bayleaf  
Graduate
Graduate
Religion: Buddhism(Buddhism)
Forum Rating: 0
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote bayleaf Replybullet Posted: 04 April 2008 at 7:08pm
Originally posted by M.A.R.W.A.N

I mean, when Irshad Manji is the one making fun of your work.....that's just embarassing!

Thank you for catching on...

EDIT: That was a sincere - not a sarcastic - 'Thank you'.

Edited by bayleaf - 04 April 2008 at 7:09pm
No Guest-Voting   IP IP Logged
M.A.R.W.A.N
Mureed
Mureed
Dragon rescuer, Virgin slayer.
Religion: Unknown(Unknown)
Forum Rating: 134
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote M.A.R.W.A.N Replybullet Posted: 04 April 2008 at 8:26pm
Thanks for that coz I prob. would have thought you were being sarcastic....and I hate misreading people.

And you're welcome.

Edited by M.A.R.W.A.N - 04 April 2008 at 8:26pm
Nura  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Religion: Islam(Muslim)
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Nura Replybullet Posted: 06 April 2008 at 1:09pm
Originally posted by scruggnut

Muslim bashing is not racism...no matter how you wish to put it.  Since when is there a muslim race?
It's discrimination at its worst; but racism it is not.

Ok, if you put it this way, Muslim bashing is not racism.
Then let's say it's some like anti-semitism, because actually Jews aren't a race either.
Spare me the political events and power struggles, as the whole earth is my homeland and all men are my fellow countrymen. K.Gibran
Faris al-Farik  
Sophmore Member
Sophmore Member
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Faris al-Farik Replybullet Posted: 06 April 2008 at 1:27pm
Originally posted by hamayoun

Salam

Irsahd Manji can say whatever she wants, but she's in the same boat as Wilders... both want to make media potrayals of how bad Islam is, and both will ultimately benefit from it.  If you really want something to make you 'probe your faith further', without the accompanying hatred for Islam, I'd recommened Tariq Ramadan.

Yes! Tariq Ramadan, a European Muslim living in Switzerland, is a good choice!

However, do not overlook Murad Hoffman's many intelligent books, notably "Islam: The Alternative". This is the book most responsible for my reversion to Islam.

Regarding criticism and critique: Islam can be criticized and ridiculed even, since it is a "faith" which in itself implies *not* certainty but a system of belief based on one's suspension of what is generally unknown! (Sorry if that came out convoluted!)

When I reverted one year ago to Islam, I cannot fathom how folks abide within their own systems of belief and thought! Again, education takes time and experience -- any fool can sit back and be a critic!

Ignore the likes of Wilders and his film!

I remember after 9-11 (I wasn't a Muslim then!) thinking that this would be the end of Islam; I couldn't have been more wrong! Islam continues to be the fastest growing religion on the planet and will supercede the likes of Wilders and his stupid movie!

Faris al-Farik

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Forum Rating: 159
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 06 April 2008 at 6:18pm
Originally posted by Faris al-Farik

Ignore the likes of Wilders and his film!

That is the best advice, I agree, with a small suggestion:

Respond to the film with a better film which explains Islam to the world, like for example (The Fog is Lifting):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7mcu625sQdw&feature=related

Think Win-Win for a better world for all...

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

UmDanu  
Sophmore Member
Sophmore Member
Religion: Islam(Sunni)
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote UmDanu Replybullet Posted: 06 April 2008 at 8:02pm

I have found it easy enough to ignore the film.  Not adding my IP number to Wilder's hit counter is my small act of resistance if it can be called that.

What is more difficult is to go the step further to Ihsan (excellence of faith) and pray for Wilder's heart to be enlightened and to love for him to find peace. That's hard.  I haven't managed it.  But it's something to aim for.  This story of Isa ibn Maryam (peace be upon him)  illustrates what I mean:

Isa ibn Maryam (AS),
passed by a group of men who shouted evil things at him.
In return Isa (AS) spoke to them with kindness.
His companions asked:
“Why did you reply to these men with kindness when they spoke evil to you?”
Isa (AS) replied: “Everyone spends from the coin he has.”

hijab flutter @ brother Irving

Edited by UmDanu - 06 April 2008 at 8:04pm
Faris al-Farik  
Sophmore Member
Sophmore Member
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Faris al-Farik Replybullet Posted: 07 April 2008 at 2:11am
Originally posted by UmDanu

What is more difficult is to go the step further to Ihsan (excellence of faith) and pray for Wilder's heart to be enlightened and to love for him to find peace. That's hard.  I haven't managed it.  But it's something to aim for.  This story of Isa ibn Maryam (peace be upon him)  illustrates what I mean:

You are, indeed, a better person than I am....I am not sure I can muster that much charity!
scruggnut  
Mureed
Mureed
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote scruggnut Replybullet Posted: 08 April 2008 at 10:12am
Originally posted by Nura

Originally posted by scruggnut

Muslim bashing is not racism...no matter how you wish to put it.  Since when is there a muslim race?
It's discrimination at its worst; but racism it is not.

Ok, if you put it this way, Muslim bashing is not racism.
Then let's say it's some like anti-semitism, because actually Jews aren't a race either.
So, if you then bash homosexuality...is it racism?  What about hockey players, or homeboys.
C'mon, let's get real and not distort the english language any more than it already has been.

Edited by scruggnut - 08 April 2008 at 10:12am
Waiting an eternity for an apology from one who never apologizes but always demands one.
Nura  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Nura Replybullet Posted: 08 April 2008 at 12:40pm
Well scrug, it is not a matter of language, and since english isn't my first language (and not even my second or third) I cannot dispute too much with you about words.
But at least in this case I can dispute about contents: Wilders has clearly stated that Islam is a problem for Holland and that Muslims who live and work in Holland are a threat for the country. And what would you act in front of a threat? You will try to overcome it somehow, won't you?
So Wilders is actually trying to convince the people of Holland to mistrust their Muslim neighbours, schoolfriends and co-workers, not because they are thieves, criminals or bad persons in general, but just because of their religion.
Maybe it is not racism (because MUslims are not a race) but it is something near to it.
Spare me the political events and power struggles, as the whole earth is my homeland and all men are my fellow countrymen. K.Gibran
Nura  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Nura Replybullet Posted: 08 April 2008 at 1:09pm
Ok sorry, I have just read that a dutch court staited, Wilders film does not incite to hatred against Muslims.

So come on, now anybody is free to say that we are fascist, barbarian, a threat for Europe and the West, and the best thing is to deport, or even better to kill all Muslims.
scruggnut  
Mureed
Mureed
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote scruggnut Replybullet Posted: 08 April 2008 at 4:52pm
Originally posted by Nura

Well scrug, it is not a matter of language, and since english isn't my first language (and not even my second or third) I cannot dispute too much with you about words.
But at least in this case I can dispute about contents: Wilders has clearly stated that Islam is a problem for Holland and that Muslims who live and work in Holland are a threat for the country. And what would you act in front of a threat? You will try to overcome it somehow, won't you?
So Wilders is actually trying to convince the people of Holland to mistrust their Muslim neighbours, schoolfriends and co-workers, not because they are thieves, criminals or bad persons in general, but just because of their religion.
Maybe it is not racism (because MUslims are not a race) but it is something near to it.
It is discrimination of the highest order, yes. 
Waiting an eternity for an apology from one who never apologizes but always demands one.
<< Prev Page  of 3
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version