Hall of FameHall of Fame  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp  chatChat
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Current Events
 Whyislam.org Forums : General : Current Events
Message Icon Topic: graves vandalized(Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post Reply Post New Topic
<< Prev Page  of 5 Next >>
scruggnut  
Mureed
Mureed
Religion: Unknown(Unknown)
Forum Rating: 0
bullet Posted: 10 April 2008 at 5:15pm
Originally posted by hamayoun

"The longer that muslims feed themselves the, "we are hated" bit, the more you will be the next to hate someone in almost the exact same way in which you percieved to be hated."

The Quran says otherwise:

41:34. Nor can goodness and Evil be equal. Repel (Evil) with what is better: Then will he between whom and you was hatred become as it were your friend and intimate!
We shall see, hamayoun; but i'm afraid that you and the qur'an may be wrong.
The persecuted more often than not, become the persecutor.  History shows that to be true.
Waiting an eternity for an apology from one who never apologizes but always demands one.
No Guest-Voting   IP IP Logged
MedGirl
Mureed
Mureed
bullet Posted: 10 April 2008 at 6:44pm

Originally posted by scruggnut

The amount of people who actually hate islam is probably equal to or less than the amount of muslims who hate the west and is probably equally proportionate to the amount of muslims who blow themselves up in the name of allah.

That's not true. The media just loves to highlight the bad and leave out the good, so it only seems as if Islam is full of hateful people when its really not.

If i let a few haters of the west bother me, i would tell myself to get over myself...i will do no less to you or anyone else.
I'm not saying this to malign islam.

You told Jamilah:

you should just let it go...you do more harm than good.

Is that why you decided to respond in this manner? That we should get over ourselves because you think that we are in no position to feel sad, since we do more harm than good?

Edited by MedGirl - 10 April 2008 at 6:54pm
LtTony  
Mureed
Mureed
Religion: Christian(Catholic)
bullet Posted: 10 April 2008 at 9:17pm
"The media just loves to highlight the bad and leave out the good..."

I agree.  The mainstream news media seems to do that on a lot subjects, not just Islam, don't you think?

Edited by LtTony - 10 April 2008 at 9:19pm
"“We love death. The US loves life. That is the difference between us two.” Osama Bin Laden
M.A.R.W.A.N
Mureed
Mureed
Dragon rescuer, Virgin slayer.
Forum Rating: 134
bullet Posted: 10 April 2008 at 9:56pm
Don't downplay the misportrayal of Islam in media, especially when you partake in this misrepesentation (in your own little asinine way) - we have the most reasonable objections.

And if it happens to other groups to a lesser extent, it doesn't whitewash their protest either, they have legitimate rights as well.
LtTony  
Mureed
Mureed
bullet Posted: 10 April 2008 at 10:25pm

Oh hi, marwan.  Here to start another argument? 
"“We love death. The US loves life. That is the difference between us two.” Osama Bin Laden
jana.z  
Mureed
Mureed
Bismillah
Religion: Islam(Sunni)
bullet Posted: 10 April 2008 at 11:44pm
no not to start an argument...........marwan is the best defender!!! he's salah al din with a twist!!!

who was lamenting anyway. i think misbah was just making a statement. not drowning in her sorrows.

no matter which direction hatred is hurled it can create fear and injustice.

anywho,  back to the graves being vandalized...............
And hold fast, all together to the rope of Allah and do not separate.”Âl’ Imran:103)

http://myimmatureviewpoint.blogspot.com/
http://solomuslimah.blogspot.com/
M.A.R.W.A.N
Mureed
Mureed
bullet Posted: 10 April 2008 at 11:46pm
Truth be told, I don't believe you have the ability to win an argument, even if it was served to you on a plate with instructions - so no.

I just wanted to put things in perspective, I like balance. I'm sure it annoys extremists, sometimes it makes them cry and paste sad emoticons.
M.A.R.W.A.N
Mureed
Mureed
bullet Posted: 10 April 2008 at 11:51pm
Whoa Jana....sister you're too kind and I most def. don't deserve such a comparison. Shiver at the thought.

You're closer to Salah al-Deen in character than I am for sure.
jana.z  
Mureed
Mureed
Bismillah
Religion: Islam(Sunni)
bullet Posted: 10 April 2008 at 11:53pm
im salwa al din
And hold fast, all together to the rope of Allah and do not separate.”Âl’ Imran:103)

http://myimmatureviewpoint.blogspot.com/
http://solomuslimah.blogspot.com/
MedGirl
Mureed
Mureed
bullet Posted: 10 April 2008 at 11:55pm
Originally posted by LtTony

Oh hi, marwan.  Here to start another argument? 

No, he's just stating the truth..
LtTony  
Mureed
Mureed
bullet Posted: 11 April 2008 at 12:04am

His truth, or a version of it, maybe?  I say maybe because I didn't really pay much attention to his post.  He interjected after I remarked to you:

"I agree.  The mainstream news media seems to do that on a lot subjects, not just Islam, don't you think?"

MedGirl
Mureed
Mureed
bullet Posted: 11 April 2008 at 12:08am

His truth, or a version of it, maybe?  I say maybe because I didn't really pay much attention to his post.  He interjected after I remarked to you:

"I agree.  The mainstream news media seems to do that on a lot subjects, not just Islam, don't you think?"

Why'd you ask the question again? I very much agree with Marwan's answer. Its way better than what I would have said too.

Edited by MedGirl - 11 April 2008 at 12:11am
Nura  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Religion: Islam(Muslim)
bullet Posted: 11 April 2008 at 3:22pm

Yes, definitely Tony. And still, anybody of us perceives the hate more, when it is direct against ourselves. Jews see "antisemitism" everywhere, and, as a non-Jew, I think they exaggerate. But maybe their eyes are sharper than mine in seeing antisemitism, since they are used to it?

So I think it is the same with Muslims.
Just a little example: before starting wearing hijab I didn't know anybody who hated women in hijab. After I started, I met much people like this. Before I simply didn't care about the issue "hijab", and when I started to care about it I discovered the prejudices and misconceptions about it.

It is true that some Muslims exaggerate with the feeling of being persecuted, and this victmism is not productive. But that Muslim graves were vandalized is a fact, isn't it?
Spare me the political events and power struggles, as the whole earth is my homeland and all men are my fellow countrymen. K.Gibran
LtTony  
Mureed
Mureed
bullet Posted: 11 April 2008 at 5:36pm
Oh yeah, that is an absolutely fair thing to say.

Jews see "antisemitism" everywhere, and, as a non-Jew, I think they exaggerate. But maybe their eyes are sharper than mine in seeing antisemitism, since they are used to it?

"Everywhere"?  I think that is an exaggeration, but I understand your point

So I think it is the same with Muslims...It is true that some Muslims exaggerate with the feeling of being persecuted, and this victmism is not productive. But that Muslim graves were vandalized is a fact, isn't it?

I'm sure graves were vandalized, yes.
I agree with the rest, too.  I would only add that persecution or bigotry or intolerance is a two-way street.  I think islamophobia exists.  Based on what I read here and elsewhere, I think "christian-phobia" -- heck, "religion-phobia" -- exists.  Many times I'm sure that I'm over sensative, that I may read into a remark something that is not there.  That's why I ask a lot of questions, for clarification.  The over-sensativity is a two-way street, too.

It's among my deepest hopes that we can essentially agree on the above.

<< Prev Page  of 5 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version