Hall of FameHall of Fame  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp  chatChat
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
InterReligious Dialogue
 Whyislam.org Forums : General : InterReligious Dialogue
Message Icon Topic: From a Moslem to a Christian Post Reply Post New Topic
<< Prev Page  of 3 Next >>
shobar  
Sophmore Member
Sophmore Member
Religion: Islam(Muslim)
Forum Rating: 0
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote shobar Replybullet Posted: 08 April 2008 at 7:24am
A fool at 40 is a fool forever...
If My servant draws near to Me an arm's length, I draw near to him a fathom's length. And if he comes to Me walking, I go to him at speed.
No Guest-Voting   IP IP Logged
LtTony  
Mureed
Mureed
Religion: Christian(Catholic)
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote LtTony Replybullet Posted: 08 April 2008 at 3:05pm

Bay: Not the first time this kind've thing has happened.
Speaking of, I miss Faith1.

Kad:  Don't remind me...

Why's that, kad?

I miss her, too.
"“We love death. The US loves life. That is the difference between us two.” Osama Bin Laden
Guests
Guest Group
Guest Group

Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Guests Replybullet Posted: 08 April 2008 at 3:12pm
Because if there's any type of person I can't tolerate (and I think I'm a pretty tolerant guy), it's malicious liars.
No Self-Vote Allowed.   IP IP Logged
LtTony  
Mureed
Mureed
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote LtTony Replybullet Posted: 08 April 2008 at 3:26pm

Faith1 lied?  How's that?
"“We love death. The US loves life. That is the difference between us two.” Osama Bin Laden
Guests
Guest Group
Guest Group

Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Guests Replybullet Posted: 08 April 2008 at 3:54pm
Of course she was never a Muslim and made her whole story up.
LtTony  
Mureed
Mureed
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote LtTony Replybullet Posted: 08 April 2008 at 4:09pm

I wasn't really familiar with her muslim or pseudo-muslim days.  I've been scolded by admins here before for sying things about people who "aren't here to defend themselves."  My attitude is that is their problem.  What are the details of faith1's deal?  Whatever her earlier history, I thought she was polite yet assertive, and well versed in christian doctrine.
M.A.R.W.A.N
Mureed
Mureed
Dragon rescuer, Virgin slayer.
Religion: Unknown(Unknown)
Forum Rating: 134
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote M.A.R.W.A.N Replybullet Posted: 08 April 2008 at 4:32pm
Originally posted by LtTony

I've been scolded by admins here before for sying things about people who "aren't here to defend themselves." .

lol, that's because you lied and got busted trying to edit someone's quote long time later to make him look like a terrorist.......that's why you got scolded.

Guests
Guest Group
Guest Group

Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Guests Replybullet Posted: 08 April 2008 at 5:21pm
Well, it's not like she's been banned or anything, if she wants to defend herself and say she's genuine then she's free to do so, though I doubt anyone would be convinced. Her fraud was quite similar to this one, only Faith was more intelligent about it, I'll give her that much. Indeed she was well versed in Christian doctrine. I'd say rather too well versed for a young Muslim girl who until her brothers recently converted she'd practically never even heard of Christianity, and then immediately goes on to not so subtly argue like someone textbook trained to debate Muslims. She would also (despite her being fluent in Arabic) exploit faulty English translations of the Qur'an to deceive people (such as in THIS thread). In one of her first posts here she claimed to be from Lebanon, which if you're not familiar with the country's history is still fresh from 15 years of a bloody civil war, people don't change religions lightly in that place, if at all. The moment she started mildly informing people that her Muslim brothers had just converted to Christianity is when people here started getting suspicious of her honesty.

And Marwan, please don't instigate fights in this thread.
algebra
Graduate
Graduate
Religion: Other(Other)
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote algebra Replybullet Posted: 08 April 2008 at 5:33pm
Knowing muslims as I do, I highly doubt that muslims would convert from islam.

This has more to do with eastern populations being generally less well educated/affluent, than the superiority of islam to other religions.

I have noticed in particular that wealthy muslims (from the middle east/pakistan) are mostly nominally muslim, in the same way as western christians and jews are nominally christian or jewish.

Religion I have noticed is far more important to the average Muslim than it is to the average Christian or Jew.

Edited by algebra - 08 April 2008 at 5:40pm
hamayoun  
Super Mureed
Super Mureed
The Humble Muslim
Religion: Islam(Sunni)
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote hamayoun Replybullet Posted: 08 April 2008 at 5:49pm
Do you always have to be so condescending?
May Allah give me patience, Ameen.

My blog: http://regularbaba.blogspot.com/
algebra
Graduate
Graduate
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote algebra Replybullet Posted: 08 April 2008 at 6:16pm
Originally posted by hamayoun

Do you always have to be so condescending?

I am not being codescending, I am merely stating things as I see them.
I have a great deal of respect for eastern culture, but you have to admit that religiosity is a problem even in your native pakistan, where muslims are battling each other to define the future of the country.

I spoke to one pakistani muslim who informed me that the religious heritage of his country was the heart of the problem, he was of the opinion that pakistan should never have separated itself from the rest of India. This seems to be the bent of mind of most affluent pakistanis, who i have noticed are nominally muslim.

My x's immediate family struggled very hard when they came to Canada, as a result they tend to be extremely religious.

Her uncle and aunt who came to Canada in the 60's tend to be far less rigorous in the practice of their faith.

Edited by algebra - 08 April 2008 at 6:19pm
hamayoun  
Super Mureed
Super Mureed
The Humble Muslim
Religion: Islam(Sunni)
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote hamayoun Replybullet Posted: 08 April 2008 at 6:20pm
Actually, you are being condescending in implying that lack of education is why muslims' faith is so strong.  With due respect to you, that is total BS.
May Allah give me patience, Ameen.

My blog: http://regularbaba.blogspot.com/
algebra
Graduate
Graduate
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote algebra Replybullet Posted: 08 April 2008 at 6:25pm
Originally posted by hamayoun

Actually, you are being condescending in implying that lack of education is why muslims' faith is so strong.  With due respect to you, that is total BS.

If it came across as a blanket statement I apologise.

Certainly there are educated affluent muslims that are very religious.

My statement was really about the average pakistani/middle easterner I encountered at University (the ones whose parents are wealthy enough to pay international fees so that their children can get a western education).

There are people like my wife, who was well enough off (with me), who still chose religion over the wealth associated with our marriage.
So yes, there are exceptions.

I guess I will always find her choices baffling.

Edited by algebra - 08 April 2008 at 6:27pm
LtTony  
Mureed
Mureed
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote LtTony Replybullet Posted: 08 April 2008 at 7:01pm
Originally posted by M.A.R.W.A.N

Originally posted by LtTony

I've been scolded by admins here before for sying things about people who "aren't here to defend themselves." .

lol, that's because you lied and got busted trying to edit someone's quote long time later to make him look like a terrorist.......that's why you got scolded.

Still working that angle?  Good luck to there you, laddy.  If it's the best ya got, it's the best ya got.  But I'll play.  What about all the other remarks?  Were they lies?  And rather than make it a personal attack -- like you so often do when confronted with some difficulty -- what about the issue of "people who aren't here to defend themselves"?  Is that practice good only when you choose to apply it?

Personally, I don't think it should ever be applied; I'm just reflecting on your apparent hypocricy.  When a person pushes "send" or "enter," it's there forever; people need to consider that before participating on the internet.  Just like I'm fine with what you alluded to; one example in my post wasn't as clear cut as I'd like, but I detailed the circumstances.

Edited by LtTony - 08 April 2008 at 8:03pm
<< Prev Page  of 3 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version