Hall of FameHall of Fame  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp  chatChat
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Current Events
 Whyislam.org Forums : General : Current Events
Message Icon Topic: Incest Post Reply Post New Topic
Page  of 2 Next >>
Guests
Guest Group
Guest Group

Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Guests Replybullet Topic: Incest
    Posted: 07 April 2008 at 7:23pm
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-pacific/7334649.stm

I can't believe nothing has been done about this. These people need to be separated and given serious help, not just 'tolerated' like this. The poor kid, even if she does turn out to be healthy how is she going to live any sort of normal life with everyone knowing that her parents are father and daughter? That's just horrible, did they even consider the trauma they'd be inflicting on their children when they try to convince us that they're 'consenting adults' (in other words, leave us alone we're not hurting anyone)? Nevermind the previous kid who died...

We have a serious problem in liberal democratic societies (or whatever you want to call it) where we can imagine anything done by 'good' people as immoral. Even in what surely should be a black-and-white case as this, when they fall back on the 'we're just normal people who've fallen in love like everybody else' we're expected to think think that what they're doing is normal, they just happen to be biologically related. It's like people have this mental image of evil things being done only by easily identifiable 'evil people', and so when we see someone engaging in an 'evil' act who seems to be a good person then we think the act can't really be evil, can it?

Of course it can. Even otherwise good people can do evil, disgusting things, especially when nobody tries to stop them.
No Self-Vote Allowed.   IP IP Logged
bayleaf  
Graduate
Graduate
Religion: Buddhism(Buddhism)
Forum Rating: 0
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote bayleaf Replybullet Posted: 07 April 2008 at 7:45pm
There's nothing wrong with incest so long as it's kept within the family.
No Guest-Voting   IP IP Logged
jana.z  
Mureed
Mureed
Bismillah
Religion: Islam(Sunni)
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote jana.z Replybullet Posted: 07 April 2008 at 10:27pm
there are some really warped ppl in this world!!!

this statement made my stomach roll

"I was looking at him, sort of going, oh, he's not too bad. Like you might look at a man across the bar at a nightclub," she said."

thats really disgusting.
And hold fast, all together to the rope of Allah and do not separate.”Âl’ Imran:103)

http://myimmatureviewpoint.blogspot.com/
http://solomuslimah.blogspot.com/
Nura  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Religion: Islam(Muslim)
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Nura Replybullet Posted: 08 April 2008 at 1:15pm
I have recently heard about two german people, brother and sister, who gave birth to 4 children -two are healthy and two have some handicaps.
The man will be jailed for 4 years, since incest is prohibited in Germany.
It sparkled a debate, since in other countries (for example Britain) incest is not prohibited.

Now, of course I condem incest from a moral point of view. BUT if we live in society which states that sexuality is a private thing, and adultery or homosexuality are not prohibited, so why prohibitting incest? Children from incest are likely to have so health problems, but so are children whose mother are over 40 (even if in aminor rate). And, on the other side, from adultery come children who sometimes don't know who is their biological  father, and it is possible that they grow on and marry their own sister or brother without knowing it. So, if adultery can lead to incestuos relationships, why it is not a crime and incest is?

So I don't find it ok, but I find it more coherent with general western principles not to consider incest a crime.
Spare me the political events and power struggles, as the whole earth is my homeland and all men are my fellow countrymen. K.Gibran
waheed1  
Admin Group
Admin Group

Whyislam Shura
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote waheed1 Replybullet Posted: 08 April 2008 at 1:58pm
This is disgusting. That's all I can say.
BookWorm  
Sophmore Member
Sophmore Member
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote BookWorm Replybullet Posted: 08 April 2008 at 2:15pm
It kind of makes you wonder what kind of relationship they had growing up. As her father he is her first male role model and first authority figure. Did this “naturally” happen or did he do something to foster this feeling back when she was developing physically, mentality and emotionally for her, at this date, to say that she freely chooses to be with him in a sexual manner?
bayleaf  
Graduate
Graduate
Religion: Buddhism(Buddhism)
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote bayleaf Replybullet Posted: 08 April 2008 at 2:45pm
Originally posted by BookWorm

It kind of makes you wonder what kind of relationship they had growing up. As her father he is her first male role model and first authority figure. Did this “naturally” happen or did he do something to foster this feeling back when she was developing physically, mentality and emotionally for her, at this date, to say that she freely chooses to be with him in a sexual manner?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the article sort of spells out that he was absent for nearly 30 years of her life - in which case there was nothing more than a biological father-daughter relationship.
BookWorm  
Sophmore Member
Sophmore Member
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote BookWorm Replybullet Posted: 08 April 2008 at 2:49pm
oops then I guess I should have read the article then
Aviatrix  
Admin Group
Admin Group
WhyIslam Forum Moderator
Forum Rating: 123
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Aviatrix Replybullet Posted: 08 April 2008 at 3:25pm
Nura, your post begs the question of where morality comes from in the first place.
M.A.R.W.A.N
Mureed
Mureed
Dragon rescuer, Virgin slayer.
Religion: Unknown(Unknown)
Forum Rating: 134
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote M.A.R.W.A.N Replybullet Posted: 08 April 2008 at 4:05pm
Where inshaAllah, we(the muslims)'ll eventually realize that the ultimate reason incest is immoral is because God ruled it as such.

To us it might be disgusting as well, but that's not a good enough reason by itself, nor is one person's taste fit to be applied to all others. I mean, some people find cousin marriages disturbing but others are keen for it and have practiced it for centuries. The same applies to interracial marriages, polar age marriages etc.

Edited by M.A.R.W.A.N - 08 April 2008 at 4:06pm
scruggnut  
Mureed
Mureed
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote scruggnut Replybullet Posted: 08 April 2008 at 5:08pm
I don't even know what to say.  Words fail me.
Waiting an eternity for an apology from one who never apologizes but always demands one.
ScoobyGurl  
Mureed
Mureed
The Modern Muslimah
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote ScoobyGurl Replybullet Posted: 08 April 2008 at 5:22pm
We've been talking about this in my Black Family course-exogamy I mean. Basically, exogamy is marrige or relationships outside specific groups. It's opposite, endogamy is marriage within specific groups. So not marrying your parent or child is one example of exogamy. In the US, not marrying your cousin is another. Not marrying children in Western societies is another. An example of endogamy is only allowing heterosexuals to marry.

I think Nura, Amy, and Marwan have a point. How exactly do we determine which groups can marry and which can't? As Muslims, we have the Qur'an of course. But in the West, this issue is becoming much more problematic. I mean what justification do secular socities have for banning incest or cousin marriage (do European countries or Canada ban cousin marriage)? I'm not asking to be funny or sarcastic.

Edited by ScoobyGurl - 08 April 2008 at 5:23pm
scruggnut  
Mureed
Mureed
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote scruggnut Replybullet Posted: 08 April 2008 at 5:30pm
I do not believe that you need to be religious to understand that it's messed up to do anything like this guy did with his daughter and vice-versa.
Maybe i was lucky and had good parents (one of which was very religious, christian, and the other was an atheist); but it goes back to what i've said on several occasions...if you need a book to tell you what is right or wrong, you will always be on the cusp of doing both.
Hopefully, if one is that type of person, they read the right book.
Waiting an eternity for an apology from one who never apologizes but always demands one.
M.A.R.W.A.N
Mureed
Mureed
Dragon rescuer, Virgin slayer.
Forum Rating: 134
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote M.A.R.W.A.N Replybullet Posted: 08 April 2008 at 5:54pm
Scurggnut, we understand because we happen to share the same conscious as you regarding this issue.

However, for muslims, to prove it is haram, our understanding isn't enough, we need evidence from Qur'an/Sunnah. You'll notice muslims scholars don't normally say "Such and such act is haram because it's messed up and disgusting".....instead, they usually say "Qala Allah and Qalah Rasul  "Said Allah .... and said the Prophet pbuh....." Added to that are there own logical deductions and reasoning but never are they to assume their intellect is solely responsible for determining the righteousness or evil of any given act.

Even in this there is methodology in morality, it's not based on individual thought patterns (like that, that was a reference to Chuck Schuldiner RIP, of the famed metal band Death.....miss him) for then everyone would be on a different standard.  Islam is very much a universal religion when it comes to important things like physical relationships.

Edited by M.A.R.W.A.N - 08 April 2008 at 5:56pm
Page  of 2 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version