Hall of FameHall of Fame  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp  chatChat
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Current Events
 Whyislam.org Forums : General : Current Events
Message Icon Topic: Incest Post Reply Post New Topic
<< Prev Page  of 2
IssaRaheem  
Religion: Islam(Muslim)
Forum Rating: 0
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote IssaRaheem Replybullet Posted: 08 April 2008 at 6:33pm
Salaam,

I don't think incest is just a Liberal western problem... There isn't too many people I know who would accept this relationship here in America.. Purely disgusting is the only words..
No Guest-Voting   IP IP Logged
bayleaf  
Graduate
Graduate
Religion: Buddhism(Buddhism)
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote bayleaf Replybullet Posted: 08 April 2008 at 7:55pm

I don't know anyone here in America who would accept this relationship.  I mean, my God...look at them - they're both fat!

LtTony  
Mureed
Mureed
Religion: Christian(Catholic)
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote LtTony Replybullet Posted: 08 April 2008 at 8:34pm

Yuck.  I guess this woman never knew the man as her father, but still....

Along similar lines:

Texas authorities have taken more than 400 children into custody from the ranch, authorities said Monday. The children were joined by 133 women, in homemade ankle-length dresses, who departed voluntarily.

A central goal of the court-ordered sweep was finding and identifying the 16-year-old girl who telephoned authorities late last month. Acting on the complaint, District Judge Barbara Walther ordered all children removed.

We have a serious problem in liberal democratic societies (or whatever you want to call it) where we can imagine anything done by 'good' people as immoral.

I agree with the thought, but I'm uncertain if this is an example of that. (I think you meant "where we cannot imagine.")

BUT if we live in society which states that sexuality is a private thing, and adultery or homosexuality are not prohibited, so why prohibitting incest? 

Not marrying children in Western societies is another (example of endogamy). An example of endogamy is only allowing heterosexuals to marry.

How exactly do we determine which groups can marry and which can't? As Muslims, we have the Qur'an of course. But in the West, this issue is becoming much more problematic. I mean what justification do secular socities have for banning incest or cousin marriage (do European countries or Canada ban cousin marriage)?

These are reasonable questions and comments.  But I think the cousin and incest questions have been answered -- those relationships produce offspring that can be harmed.
Every society "draws a line" somewhere, and where that line is or should be can certainly be argued.  Sexual relations between consenting adults is considered private in the west.  Homosexuality is tolerated.  I don't admire much about the lifestyle, but I try to deal with people as indivduals.  I certainly don't think they should be executed or criminially punished.

Infidelity is another private matter between two adults.  There are civil reprecussions for this behavior.

"ďWe love death. The US loves life. That is the difference between us two.Ē Osama Bin Laden
Misbah  
Super Mureed
Super Mureed
Religion: Islam(Sunni)
Forum Rating: 103
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Misbah Replybullet Posted: 08 April 2008 at 8:50pm

Salaam,

On the topic, i read this last Monday in my magazine, didn't think much of it apart from 'Gosh that's really, really strange, i couldn't do that' and that's all i thought.

You know you get all sorts and all kinds in this world from anyone to everyone.

It's disturbing but we don't and (we can speculate and assume) but will never know why things like this happen.

And BTW, marrying ones cousins is totally and MOST defiantly NOT like marrying ones father, so please, cut out the *ahem* and stop picking silly little squabbles over 'well you guys do it don't you',? ....  listen, look marrying cousin is not like sleeping with your own father and mothering your fathers child! end of! yeah? can we all agree with that?

Now, please grow up!

Edited by Misbah - 08 April 2008 at 8:54pm
"Donít be so humble - you ain't that great."
hamayoun  
Super Mureed
Super Mureed
The Humble Muslim
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote hamayoun Replybullet Posted: 08 April 2008 at 8:52pm
Salam

It happens because society has been getting more and more liberal when it comes to sexual morals.
May Allah give me patience, Ameen.

My blog: http://regularbaba.blogspot.com/
Misbah  
Super Mureed
Super Mureed
Forum Rating: 103
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Misbah Replybullet Posted: 08 April 2008 at 8:57pm

Salaam,

Yeah true, Society wants us to be normal and act human, society wants us to accept abnormal, society wants us to be shocked at 'terror' society also wants us to accept 'self-defence'..

Where does it end? it don't, unless one starts at least think and do for themselves and not others!

Know whats right, know whats wrong, and stand by it with your life.

Anyway, sorry I'm just..

Edited by Misbah - 08 April 2008 at 8:57pm
"Donít be so humble - you ain't that great."
MedGirl
Mureed
Mureed
Religion: Unknown(Unknown)
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote MedGirl Replybullet Posted: 08 April 2008 at 9:12pm
Originally posted by Misbah

Salaam,

Yeah true, Society wants us to be normal and act human, society wants us to accept abnormal, society wants us to be shocked at 'terror' society also wants us to accept 'self-defence'..

Where does it end? it don't, unless one starts at least think and do for themselves and not others!

Know whats right, know whats wrong, and stand by it with your life.

Anyway, sorry I'm just..

lol I know. Good points. I noticed rules are made to cater to their own desires, like 'drink responsibly'.

Edited by MedGirl - 08 April 2008 at 9:13pm
ScoobyGurl  
Mureed
Mureed
The Modern Muslimah
Religion: Islam(Muslim)
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote ScoobyGurl Replybullet Posted: 08 April 2008 at 10:34pm
Originally posted by IssaRaheem

Salaam,

I don't think incest is just a Liberal western problem... There isn't too many people I know who would accept this relationship here in America.. Purely disgusting is the only words..

No, I'm not saying this only happens in the West. The issue is how secular societies determine which relationships to condone and which not to. Ancient Egyptians engaged in incest. It's disgusting to me too. But is something being disgusting to an individual enough. I mean cousin marriage is "disgusting" to a lot of people in the US but people in African and Asian societies have no issue with it. It's halal.

<< Prev Page  of 2
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version