Hall of FameHall of Fame  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp  chatChat
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Learn about Islam
 Whyislam.org Forums : Learn About Islam : Learn about Islam  
Message Icon Topic: Virtues and Manners in Islam Post Reply Post New Topic
Page  of 32 Next >>
Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Religion: Islam(Muslim)
Forum Rating: 159
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Topic: Virtues and Manners in Islam
    Posted: 08 April 2008 at 6:18pm
There are many virtues and good manners which are mentioned in The Qur'an and in the sayings (Hadith) of Prophet Muhammad, peace be upon him

This thread will shed some light on some of the most important of these virtues as a reminder for Muslims and as a general introduction to Islam for non-Muslims

The first of these virtues is the concept of mercy and kindness

Mercy in Islam

Mercy is the attribute of Allah, The Most Merciful.

He loves his creatures to deal with each other based on mercy and compassion, so this is an important key manner in Islam.

The Prophet said: "Forgive those who are on earth, so that He who is in the heavens may forgive you." ...

It is from Allah's grace that He hides the sins we commit. For example, imagine what would happen if after every sin we committed we find it written on our doors for everyone to see?

Examples of Mercy

Our Prophet (peace be upon him) taught us that a man went to heaven because he gave a thirsty dog some water! While a woman went to hell because she locked a cat up, she neither fed the cat nor let it go seek its own food! ( Hadith in Sahih Al-Bukhari)

Mercy with our parents:

If we are going to talk about having mercy towards people, the first person who deserves our mercy is our parents. ...

Mercy with our relatives:

The second type of mercy is mercy with your relatives. Being gracious to them lies in visiting them ...

Having mercy on sinners and disbelievers:

The next type of mercy is on sinners and disbelievers. The Prophet, in the worst situations, prayed for the guidance of his fiercest enemies.

Mercy after the Day of Judgment:

After the Day of Judgment some disobeying Muslims will go to Hell. The Prophet will ask Allah to forgive them. This is why Allah kept 99 parts of mercy in the heavens and gave the world just one part. This life doesn’t require except one part, because we will need all the 99 parts of mercy on the Day after which there will be no return.

Source:

Think Win-Win for a better world for all...

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

No Guest-Voting   IP IP Logged
hamayoun  
Super Mureed
Super Mureed
The Humble Muslim
Religion: Islam(Sunni)
Forum Rating: 0
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote hamayoun Replybullet Posted: 08 April 2008 at 6:22pm
May Allah give me patience, Ameen.

My blog: http://regularbaba.blogspot.com/
MedGirl
Mureed
Mureed
Religion: Unknown(Unknown)
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote MedGirl Replybullet Posted: 08 April 2008 at 8:01pm
'An-Nu'man b. Bashir reported that Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) said:

Muslims, in their mutual love, kindness, and compassion, are like the human body; when one of its parts is in pain the entire body feels the pain in both sleeplessness and fever.

(Narrated by Bukhari and Muslim)
Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 10 April 2008 at 12:25am

Courtesy and Politeness

(includes 2 nice stories of Imam Abu-Hanifa)

First: What is the meaning of courtesy and politeness?

I mean politeness in dealing with people, I mean a sensitive spirit, I mean a pretty soul, I mean beauty, cleanliness, order, I mean the delicate sensation and perceptive soul that discerns what is wrong through a glance or a smile.

Politeness with people

Visiting the ill: Do not stay for a long time when visiting the ill in order not to make him tired, except if he was comfortable with your stay. Yet, generally we must not stay for a long time.

Four people went to visit Imam Abu-Hanifa when he was ill and they stayed for a long time. He said, “Please go, Allah has cured me”.

Courtesy and Politeness with Neighbors

- The Prophet (PBUH), in his Sunnah, teaches us that if one brings home a special kind of food or fruits, and the neighbors see it; then he should offer them some. You should not hide it, but at the same time do not show off. If they see it then you should offer them some of it. 

A Muslim should not come home carrying a bag of apples, for example, and give his children some in front of his neighbors in order to show them that he is well off. This is not courteous. He must also offer his neighbours some apples out of courtesy.

The following story is an example of being patient and courteous with one's neighbours:

- Imam Abu-Hanifa liked to perform Qiyyam (night prayer); and his next door neighbor was a corrupt young man who used to return home at night completely drunk, and keeps on singing, which disturbed the Imam during his prayer. The Imam knew that if he tried to advise him when he is in this state, he is not going to listen. The young man used to sing, “They let me down, they let me down.”

One night, the Imam did not hear his voice, so he inquired about him, and he was told that the police caught him because he was drunk. The Imam decided to call him to Islam in an indirect way. He went to the police and told them, “Would you let him go for my sake?” They replied that he is always drunk. However, the Imam insisted until they let him go. The Imam made him ride behind him on his mule, and he stayed quiet all the way home. When they arrived home, he asked him, “Have we let you down, chap?” He replied, “No, by Allah, I swear by Allah that I will never go back to drinking again.”

Do you see the effect of gentleness and courtesy with people?

http://www.amrkhaled.net/articles/articles502.html

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 12 April 2008 at 6:39am

Selflessness or Altruism (Al-’eethar)

Al-’eethar means giving preference to others over yourself and considering their happiness and welfare before your own.

That is to say, to relinquish some of the pleasures of life to others; they enjoy them and you lose them. When we say that a person has given preference to another one over himself, it means that he preferred this person to himself for the sake of the reward of the hereafter ...

Have you ever considered giving preference to anyone over yourself by giving him your new suit for example? Our motto should be the following hadith; the Prophet (PBUH) said,

“None of you will have faith till he wishes for his brother what he likes for himself.”

This is the motto of al-’eethar. That is to say your faith will be complete only when you wish for your brother what you wish for yourself

http://www.amrkhaled.net/articles/articles719.html

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 14 April 2008 at 2:35pm

Patience

Patience is one of the foundations of the universe!

For example, the baby in the mother’s womb takes 9 months to grow. Plants and trees grow slowly. The sun rises and sets slowly. This is one of the laws of Allah in the universe. That is why it is very important in our religion.

The scholars have said that your soul is like the vehicle that is taking you to the afterlife, either to heaven or to hell, and what has control over this vehicle is your patience. If you do not have this patience, your soul will take you wherever it wishes and it will be out of your control....

A beautiful saying of the Prophet Mohammad (PBUH) is,

The matter of the believer is amazing. All of his matters in his life are good, and this is only applicable to the believer. If a calamity befalls him, he is patient, and this is a good thing for him. If he receives a bounty, he thanks Allah, and this is a good thing for him.”

No one is like the believer. In all matters in his life he wins. If it’s a calamity and he is patient, he has won, and if it is a bounty and he thanks Allah, again he has won! ...

How can we increase our patience?

1) Know that this life is short.
2) Knowing that you belong to Allah, and to Him you shall return.
3) Knowing the rewards of heaven.
4) Being sure that Allah will lift the calamity, as Allah (SWT) said, “With hardship comes ease.”

http://www.amrkhaled.net/articles/articles499.html

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 27 April 2008 at 3:56pm

Honesty in Monetary Dealings

Condemning those who cheat in business the Prophet (peace be upon him) said:

"He who cheats is not of us. Deceitfulness and fraud are things that lead one to Hell."

The Prophet of Allah (peace be upon him) once came upon a heap of corn in the market of Medina and thrust his hand onto it. His fingers felt damp. On being asked, the trader replied that rain had fallen upon it. The Prophet (peace be upon him) observed,

"Why did you not then keep (the wet portion of) it above the dry corn, so that men may see it? He who deceives, is not one of us."

Thus traders who deceive by showing to customers a false sample or by concealing from them the defects of the article they offer for sale are not true Muslims in the judgment of the Holy Prophet (peace be upon him) and, God-forbidding, they are going to end up in hell. Another tradition says:

"The seller must explain to the buyer the defects, if any, in the quality of the article offered for sale. Should this not be done, the seller will permanently be caught in the Wrath of Allah (according to another narrator the exact words, ‘he will always be cursed by the angels')."

In short, all manner of deceit and dishonesty in business is prohibited in Islam. It has been proclaimed to be an act worthy of unqualified condemnation. The Prophet (peace be upon him) has expressed his strong dislike for those who do so. He has said he will have nothing to do with them; they do not belong to him.

Likewise, bribery and usury, although might be practiced by mutual consent and agreement, are totally disallowed to Muslims and those who are guilty of them have been condemned squarely in the traditions.

http://www.islamfortoday.com/honesty.htm 

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Ameera  
Undergraduate
Undergraduate
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Ameera Replybullet Posted: 28 April 2008 at 9:53am

How can we increase our patience?

1) Know that this life is short.
2) Knowing that you belong to Allah, and to Him you shall return.
3) Knowing the rewards of heaven.
4) Being sure that Allah will lift the calamity, as Allah (SWT) said, “With hardship comes ease.”

May Allah make us of the patient ameen

Sabr is jameel
Patience is beautiful
and Allah loves beauty

Edited by Ameera - 28 April 2008 at 9:55am
When He decrees a thing, He only says to it: "Be!"--and it is. (Surah Maryam)
Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 02 May 2008 at 12:34am

Concealing the Faults and Weaknesses of Others

Avoiding harm to others and concealing the weakness of one's fellow human beings is a prominent theme of the moral teachings of the Quran and the Sunnah.

The message here is conveyed in a variety of forms, context and ideas, all of which are indicative of Islam's emphasis on the honour and dignity of the individual, and of his or her right to privacy safe from the encroachment of others.

Thus according to a hadith:

"If a person conceals the weakness of another in this world, Allah will conceal their weakness in the hereafter"

http://www.islamfortoday.com/conceal.htm

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 06 May 2008 at 12:16am

Wisdom and Calm

Responding to anger with anger and to abuse with abuse causes an escalation of the situation and also leads to pettiness and indignity.

Therefore, Islam calls for a realistic assessment of each situation on its own and suggests two different types of reactions: kindness, and not responding to abuse.

http://www.islamonline.net/english/introducingislam/Individual/article14.SHTML

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 08 May 2008 at 12:36am

Modesty

Allah's Messenger was reported as saying:

Modesty is a part of the teachings of the previous prophets, and anyone who lacks it is most likely to do whatever he likes.

The Prophet was also reported as saying:

Every religion has a character, and the character of Islam is modesty.

The Prophet lived a simple and modest life, both in Makkah, as a trader and the Messenger of Allah, and in Madinah, as the head of the state and Messenger of Allah. The change in his social status, from that of a trader in Makkah to the head of the state in Madinah, did not bring any change in his modest living. The Prophet was reported as saying:

Do not exalt me as the Christians have exalted Jesus son of Mary. I am just His servant, so call me Allah's Servant and Messenger.

The Prophet did not behave towards others as if he was better than them, nor did he spurn manual work. It was reported that the Prophet of Allah never disdained to go with a slave or a widow to help him or her in accomplishing tasks.

Others reported that the Prophet used to tidy up his house, tether the camels, feed the animals, take food with his servants, and help them in kneading dough and bringing provisions from the market. It was also reported that the Prophet of Allah used to visit the sick, attend funerals, ride on a donkey, and accept a slave's invitation for a meal. It was stated that the Prophet used to slow down his pace for the sake of the weak and also prayed for them.

http://muhammad.islamonline.net/English/His_Example/HisQualities/04.shtml 

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 09 May 2008 at 12:42pm
Giving Thanks To Allah
Being grateful is to render one’s thanks to someone who has shown favor, to express gratitude and to appreciate.

The concept of being grateful to Allah, on the other hand, is to grasp and express that every kind of grace and favor is granted exclusively by Allah. In the Qur’an, the opposite of being grateful is defined by the term “disbelief”, which is synonymous to being ungrateful. Only this definition indicates the importance attached to being grateful as a worship and the detrimental consequences it may have for a believer.

Gratefulness to Allah is one of the concepts mostly emphasized in the Qur'an. In almost 70 verses, the importance of rendering thanks to Allah is stated, the examples of those who are grateful and ungrateful are given and the end they face is related. The reason why so much importance is given to this concept is simply because it is a mere indication of one’s faith and affirmation of the unity of Allah.

http://www.themodernreligion.com/basic/charac/thanks.html 

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 10 May 2008 at 11:33am

Charity: Values & Ethics in Action

It is important to understand the Islamic concept of charity has a wider application than that of charitable “work” and “service” in the conventional sense.

The Prophet said, “Doing justice between two people is charity; assisting a man upon his beast and lifting his baggage is charity; and pure, comforting words are charity; and answering a questioner with mildness is charity; and removing that which is inconvenience to wayfarers, such as thorns and stones, is a charity.” The simple act of “smiling in your brother’s face” is also charity.

http://www.islamonline.net/English/family/2006/05/article05.shtml

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 14 May 2008 at 2:42pm

Perfecting One's Character

An excellent character cannot be attained without three conditions:

1. The foundation must be good. If one has a rough and dry nature, it will be hard for him to submit to this [excellence of character] through knowledge, will, or practice. On the other hand, a mild and smooth nature will be ready and willing to receive the plowing and the seeds [to prepare it for character excellence].

2. The soul must be strong and capable of conquering calls of laziness, transgression, and desire. Those matters contradict perfection, and souls which cannot defeat them will always be defeated and conquered.

3. [One must possess] a discerning knowledge of the truth of matters, enabling one to put them in the rightful position, and to distinguish between flash and cancer - between glass and jewels.

http://www.geocities.com/mutmainaa/tafakkur/perfect_char.html

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Page  of 32 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version