Hall of FameHall of Fame  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp  chatChat
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Learn about Islam
 Whyislam.org Forums : Learn About Islam : Learn about Islam  
Message Icon Topic: Virtues and Manners in Islam Post Reply Post New Topic
<< Prev Page  of 32 Next >>
Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Religion: Islam(Muslim)
Forum Rating: 159
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 29 March 2009 at 10:29pm

Prophet’s Love and Tolerance for Mankind

According to a tradition recorded in the Sahih of Imam Muslim, when the Prophet’s opponents greatly increased their persecution, his Companions asked him to curse them. At this the Prophet replied, “I have not been sent to lay a curse upon men but to be a blessing to them.” His opponents continued to treat him and his Companions unjustly and cruelly, but he always prayed for them.

Once he was so badly stoned by his enemies that the blood began to spurt from all over his body. This happened when he went to Ta’if, where the Hijaz aristocracy used to while away their summer days. When he attempted to call them to Islam, instead of listening to his words of wisdom, they set the street urchins upon him, who kept chasing him till nightfall. Even at that point, when he was utterly exhausted and bleeding from head to foot, all he said was, “O my Lord, guide my people along the true path, as they are ignorant of the truth.”

His heart was filled with intense love for all human kind irrespective of caste, creed, or color. Once he advised his Companions to regard all people as their brothers and sisters. He added, “You are all Adam’s offspring and Adam was born of clay.”

http://www.islamonline.net/servlet/Satellite?c=Article_C&cid=1158658445682&pagename=Zone-English-Living_Shariah%2FLSELayout

Think Win-Win for a better world for all...

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

No Guest-Voting   IP IP Logged
Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 31 March 2009 at 1:38pm

Visiting Those who are Ill

An important Sunnah (i.e tradition of theProphet) is to visit those who are ill

In a caring society, it is a Sunnah to care for those who are ill, to remember them in prayers and make them know they are not on their own

It also has a great reward, as mentioned in this hadith:

Prophet Muhammad, peace be upon him, said:

There is no man who visits a sick person early in the morning but seventy thousand angels send blessings upon him until evening comes, and he will have a garden in Paradise.

If he visits him in the evening, seventy thousand angels send blessings upon him until morning comes, and he will have a garden in Paradise

(Hadith in Al-Tirmidhi)

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 01 April 2009 at 10:55pm

Outstanding Forgiveness of the Prophet

Another great quality of Muhammad was that he never took revenge on anyone for personal reasons and always forgave even his firm enemies.

His wife `A'ishah reported that Allah's Messenger was not unseemly or obscene in his speech, nor was he loud-voiced in the streets, nor did he return evil for evil, but he would forgive and pardon.

The people of the Quraysh rebuked him, taunted and mocked at him, beat him and abused him. They tried to kill him and when he escaped to Madinah, they waged many wars against him. Yet when he entered Makkah victorious with an army of 10000, he did not take revenge on anyone.

He forgave all...

http://www.islamonline.net/servlet/Satellite?c=Article_C&cid=1158658444905&pagename=Zone-English-Living_Shariah%2FLSELayout

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 03 April 2009 at 11:02am

Keeping Good Relations with Family and Relatives

Strong family ties are highly encouraged in Islam

"Whoever is pleased that he be granted more wealth and that his lease of life be prolonged, then he should keep good relations with his Kith and kin

(Hadith in Sahih Al-Bukhari)

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 05 April 2009 at 8:48am

The Beauty of Patience

The matter of the believer is amazing. All of his matters in his life are good, and this is only applicable to the believer.

If a calamity befalls him, he is patient, and this is a good thing for him.

If he receives a bounty, he thanks Allah, and this is a good thing for him.”

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 07 April 2009 at 1:18pm

Proper use of the Gift of Speech

"Whosoever believes in Allah and the Last Day, let such a person speak good or remain silent."  Prophet Muhammad

Islamic teachings demand that when we speak we should:

- Control our tongues

- Employ speech only for good purpose

- Be truthful

- Avoid vain talk

- Have our facts straight 

- Exercise Propriety 

- Say what we mean and mean what we say

- Be conscious of the consequence of our words

http://www.islamicity.com/articles/Articles.asp?ref=IC0805-3566

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 10 April 2009 at 7:01am

Honoring the Elderly

The Messenger of God (may peace be upon him) said:

"A young man never honors an old man due to age but that God sends someone to honor him when he reaches that age"

(The above Hadith was narrated by At-Tirmidhi)

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 11 April 2009 at 11:00am

Taking Extra Care of Parents

The priority Islam gives to parents is the highest of all other priorities

Why?

Being dutiful to parents is the door to Allah's Mercy and Love, and the main door to Jannah (Paradise)

From Allah's Mercy, He put the love of sons and daughters in the hearts of parents. This love and care make a mother wake up in the middle of the night to take care of her child, and despite being tired she would stay up all night making sure her child is ok

How do we repay that debt?

In the same way that parents took care of their children when they were young and weak, it's their turn when they are strong to take care of their parents especially when they are elderly and weak

A man came to Allah's Apostle and said,

"O Allah's Apostle! Who is more entitled to be treated with the best companionship by me?"

The Prophet said, "Your mother."

The man said. "Who is next?"

The man further said, "Who is next?"

The man asked for the fourth time, "Who is next?"

The Prophet said, "Your father. "

(Hadith in Sahih Al-Bukhari)

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 12 April 2009 at 1:48pm
Prophet Muhammad: A Tender Grandfather

That has always taken my heart! Whenever I think of how busy and important a man he was, and yet had time space and emotions to spare for his grandchildren. The idea that when he stood on the podium, giving the Friday sermon, he simply interrupted his speech in front of the Muslim nation audience — at the time — and went down the podium to pick up his grandson, is always startling from my point of view.

The fact that he would keep carrying this grandson throughout his speech is again startling. I mean, he was the spiritual, social and political leader of the nation! What would any of our grandfathers have done if we simply burst into any of their meetings? I wonder

http://www.readingislam.com/servlet/Satellite?c=Article_C&cid=1237705596445&pagename=Zone-English-Discover_Islam%2FDIELayout

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 14 April 2009 at 1:15pm

How to Keep Hope Alive

The balancing emotions of hope versus fear, together with the overwhelming mercy, compassion, and kindness of Allah Most High, do not mean that we can do as we like. On the contrary, this should inspire us to strive to do as much good as possible and then place our trust in Allah Most High.

Hope comes from an expectation that one has followed the right path to the best of one’s abilities. There are numerous verses in the Qur’an that enjoin the believer towards good and abstaining from sin. It is only by rehearsing the Book and implementing the guidelines that one is then in a position to have one’s hopes raised to awaiting a pleasing reward—as you reap so shall you sow:

[Those who rehearse the Book of Allah, establish regular Prayer and spend (in charity) out of what We have provided for them secretly and openly, hope for a commerce that will never fail.] (Fatir 35:29)

The above verse makes it quite clear that we first have to rehearse the Book, establish regular Prayer, and spend in charity, and then only hope for a good outcome. Furthermore, the best example to follow is that shown to us by the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him); It is through following the Qur’an and the Sunnah that our hope in Allah Most High’s mercy and kindness is increased:

[Ye have indeed in the Apostle of Allah a beautiful pattern (of conduct) for anyone whose hope is in Allah and the Final Day and who engages much in the praise of Allah.] (Al-Ahzab 33:21)

Furthermore, Allah Most High says:

[Whosoever follows My Guidance, on them shall be no fear, nor shall they grieve.] (Al-Baqarah 2:38)

The religion of Islam is a religion of peace. It is a religion of hope. It inspires hope in the believer and not despair:

[Allah made it but a message of hope for you.] (Aal `Imran 3:126)

Furthermore, Islam is a perfect religion. We have been blessed with the two sources, the Qur’an and the Sunnah. These two sources of knowledge and wisdom shed light in our darkest hours. They bring a ray, a glimmer, a floodlight of hope when there are only despair and confusion. No other source is required or necessary for all eternity to come, for the religion has been perfected:

[This day have I perfected your religion for you, completed My favor upon you and have chosen for you Islam as your religion.] (Al-Ma’idah 5:4)

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 17 April 2009 at 1:31pm

Do Not Expect Gratitude From Anyone

From among the ever-repeating pages of history is a story of a father and his son: The father raised his son, fed him, clothed him, and taught him; he would stay up nights so that his son could sleep, stay hungry so that his son could eat, and toil so that his son could feel comfort. And when the son became older and stronger, he rewarded his father with disobedience, disrespect, and contempt.

So, be at peace if you are requited with ungratefulness for the good you have done. Rejoice in your knowledge that you will be rewarded from the One Who has unlimited treasures at His disposal. This is not to say that you should refrain from performing acts of kindness toward others; the point is that you should be mentally prepared for ingratitude.

Perform acts of charity seeking solely Allah's pleasure, because with this attitude you will assuredly be successful. The ungrateful person cannot really harm you. Praise Allah that that person is the transgressor and that you are the obedient servant. Also, remember that the hand that gives is better than the hand that receives

http://www.islamonline.net/servlet/Satellite?c=Article_C&cid=1203757437224&pagename=Zone-English-Living_Shariah%2FLSELayout

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 25 April 2009 at 11:44am

Etiquettes of the Road

A roadway is a public thoroughfare. Everyone has the right to use it without being abused or hindered by others. Furthermore, if someone needs aid or assistance, he should receive it from his brethren without them expecting for their assistance any compensation. For this reason, Islam has set down certain etiquettes that those using the road should observe. They are as follows:

1. Modesty in one’s manner of walking: This means that a person should walk in a relaxed manner. Allah says:
- The servants of the Beneficent are those who walk on the Earth in humility and composure, and when ignorant people address them, they reply with words of peace.

- And walk not on Earth with conceit and arrogance. Verily, you will neither rend open the Earth nor reach the mountains in stature.
2. Lowering one’s gaze from forbidden things: A man, for instance, should not look at women who are not members of his family. Allah says:
Tell the believing men to lower their gaze and protect their private parts (from engaging in unlawful sexual activities)… and tell the believing women to lower their gaze and protect their private parts (from unlawful sexual activities).
Looking at others in such a way infringes upon their dignity and helps to instigate acts of fornication and adultery.

3. Greeting others with peace: This applies to those who one knows as well as those who one does not know. It is related in Sahîh al-Bukhârî and Sahîh Muslim from `Abd Allah b. `Amr b. al-`As that a man asked the Prophet (peace be upon him): “What manifestation of Islam is best?” Allah’s Messenger (peace be upon him) replied: “To feed the poor and to greet with peace both those you know and those that you do not know.”

4. Maintaining the cleanliness of the road: Garbage should not be thrown in the road, especially when it can cause harm or injury to others or cause accidents. Allah’s Messenger (peace be upon him) said: “There should be no harm nor causing of harm.” Quite the contrary, a Muslim is expected to remove anything harmful that he might find in the road, whether it be a rock, a thorn, or anything else. It is related in Sahîh al-Bukhârî that Allah’s Messenger (peace be upon him) said: “There are over seventy branches of faith, the greatest of which is saying ‘There is no god but Allah’ and the least of which is removing an obstacle from the road.”

5. Avoiding danger: A person should apply caution when using the road and avoid doing anything that might harm another person, an animal, or a vehicle. This can be taken from the general meaning of the following verse:
And do not throw your own selves into destruction.

A Muslim must repel dangers from others as well. He must warn them about hazards and stop them from doing dangerous acts if he can. This is part of his duty of enjoining what is right and forbidding what is wrong. Abû Sa`îd al-Khudrî relates that the Prophet (peace be upon him) said: “Do not sit on the roadways.” The people said: “O Messenger of Allah, we have no option but to be on the roads and speak to each other therein.” The Prophet (peace be upon him) then said: “If you must assemble on the roads, then give the road its rights.” They asked: “What are the rights of the road?” He said: “Lowering one’s gaze, preventing injury, returning the greeting of peace, enjoining what is right, and forbidding what is wrong.”

http://www.islamtoday.com/discover_islam.cfm?cat_id=6&sub_cat_id=56

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 10 May 2009 at 10:14pm

Islam and the concept of friendship

Humans are social creatures by nature; they're always in need of friends and companions. Most of our lives depend on interaction with others. Strong individuals are the core of a strong community, something that Muslims should always strive for.

We al know that Allah the Most High has brought us to life in order to test us. Thus we are here for a relatively short period of time and that we shall meet Allah one Day, so we need to use our present life for what is best for us in the hereafter. Once we know our purpose and our goal in life, we should seek ways to achieve them so as to benefit our own selves.

In an authentic Hadith, Prophet Mohammad (PBUH) said:

"A person is likely to follow the faith of his friend, so look whom you befriend."

Prophet Mohammad (PBUH) who has the most noble character and dealings with fellow humans gave us a very clear and simple message and advice in regard to friendship.

How should we choose our friends?

We should choose the friend that believes and abide by our religion (Islam) and gives great respect to what Allah and Prophet Mohammad (PBUH) has ordered us. And we should stay away from that who is not well mannered and gives no attention to what Islam is about or what pleases or displeases Allah, for he'll surely affect us negatively. There is no good in the companion drowns us in sins and displeasing Allah.

The bases for the actions of those who follow the evil ways are corrupt; their actions are built upon misguidance and deviation. Their deeds are worthless to them as Allah said:

"And We will proceed to what they have done of deeds, so We shall render them to scattered floating dust." Qur'an (25:23)

Their actions, even if we see them as righteous and noble are of no value to them, so how can they be useful to us?

Good friends are those who share their companions both happiness and sadness. If we share our feelings with the wrong-doers whose actions are worthless and based on corruption, then we are following the same ways and standards as they are, and we'll end up being as corrupted as they are, and then we're in a big trouble, how can we face Allah's dissatisfaction and displeasure?!

Instead of making friends with the misguided ones we should befriend the righteous, yet treat the rest in a gracious and just manner. Staying at sufficient distance is necessary; yet treating everybody in a noble and kind manner is required.

In another Hadith, Prophet Mohammad (PBUH) said:

"The example of a good companion and a bad companion is like that of the seller of musk, and the one who blows the blacksmith's bellows. So as for the seller of musk then either he will grant you some, or you buy some from him, or at least you enjoy a pleasant smell from him. As for the one who blows the blacksmith�s bellows then either he will burn your clothes or you will get an offensive smell from him."

When choosing our friends we should ask ourselves first: Are they going to help us achieve the purpose for which we were brought to life? or will they take us away from it? Will they desire for us Allah's pleasure or is that completely irrelevant to them and not their concern at all? Are they leading us to Paradise or to the Hell?

Allah says in the Qur'an:

"O you who believe! Take care of your own selves. If you follow the right guidance and enjoin what is right and forbid what is wrong no hurt can come to you from those who are in error. The return of you all is to Allah, then He will inform you about (all) that which you used to do." Qur'an (5:105)

http://www.islamonline.com/news/articles/6/Islam_and_the_concept_of_friendship.html

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 06 October 2009 at 10:03am

Perfecting Your Manners

There is no limit to doing good to others. Those who have dedicated themselves to the good of humanity can be so altruistic that they will even sacrifice their lives for others. However, such altruism is a great virtue only if it originates in sincerity and purity of intention, and if it does not define the "others" by racial preferences.

Our humanity and nobility are directly proportional to our closeness to our friends and our maintenance of these friendships. Talking of nobility and kindness without expressing warmth and intimacy in relationships is mere assertion. Doing good in return only for good received, or sometimes ceasing to do good to others in order to punish them, implies moral imperfection and immaturity.

It is a sign of great generosity and goodness to others if you ignore some of their faults, improprieties, or bad manners, and tolerate their imperfections ........

http://www.readingislam.com/servlet/Satellite?c=Article_C&cid=1243825166400&pagename=Zone-English-Discover_Islam%2FDIELayout&ref=body

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

<< Prev Page  of 32 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version