Hall of FameHall of Fame  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp  chatChat
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Current Events
 Whyislam.org Forums : General : Current Events
Message Icon Topic: U.S. Muslims and Mormons Post Reply Post New Topic
yishmael  
Sophmore Member
Sophmore Member
Chairman Meow
Religion: Atheist(Atheist)
Forum Rating: 0
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote yishmael Replybullet Topic: U.S. Muslims and Mormons
    Posted: 14 April 2008 at 12:15am
The Mormon Church has to be among the most outgoing on earth; in recent years its leaders have reached out to, among others, Latinos, Koreans, Catholics and Jews.

One of the most enthusiastic responses, however, has come from what some might consider a surprising source: U.S. Muslims.

"We are very aware of the history of Mormons as a group that was chastised in America," says Maher Hathout, a senior advisor to the Muslim Public Affairs Council in Los Angeles. "They can be a good model for any group that feels alienated."

Which perhaps explains an open-mosque day held last fall at the Islamic Center of Irvine. More than half the guests were Mormons.

"A Mormon living in an Islamic society would be very comfortable," said Steve Young, a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints attending the event.

The sentiment is echoed by Muslims. "When I go to a Mormon church I feel at ease," said Haitham Bundakji, former chairman of the Islamic Society of Orange County. "When I heard the president [of LDS] speak a few years ago, if I'd closed my eyes I'd have thought he was an imam."

Though the relationship has raised eyebrows and provided ammunition for critics of both religions, Mormons and Muslims have deepening ties in the United States.

Much more at
http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-morlims2apr02,1,2488142.story

So, what do you fine people think? Do Mormons and Muslims have common ground?
No Guest-Voting   IP IP Logged
Aviatrix  
Admin Group
Admin Group
WhyIslam Forum Moderator
Religion: Islam(Muslim)
Forum Rating: 123
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Aviatrix Replybullet Posted: 14 April 2008 at 12:52am
One of my good friends is a Muslim convert to Islam, and her sister is a convert to the Mormon faith. We have found it interesting that Muslims and Mormons are probably the two most hated groups in America these days. That's common ground, right?
Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Forum Rating: 159
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 14 April 2008 at 12:59am
Why are Mormons a "hated" group in the US?

Think Win-Win for a better world for all...

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

yishmael  
Sophmore Member
Sophmore Member
Chairman Meow
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote yishmael Replybullet Posted: 14 April 2008 at 1:17am
Originally posted by Aviatrix

One of my good friends is a Muslim convert to Islam, and her sister is a convert to the Mormon faith.

That's an interesting family dichotomy!

It would be much easier for me to go from Mormon>Muslim or Muslim>Mormon than it would be for me to go Mormon>Christian. Like you guys, we believe Jesus was a pretty great guy, but ultimately a mortal man. We don't have any of that trinity nonsense. We don't pray to statues or icons, nor do we drink alcohol. If I were a believing and practicing Mormon, I'd probably just need to give up pork to convert. Otherwise my outward lifestyle wouldn't change very much.

I have this theory that Joseph Smith might have been inspired by Qur'an. I don't have any evidence for it. It's just based on circumstantial things, but the similarities between Mormonism and Islam are too numerous to easily excuse.
yishmael  
Sophmore Member
Sophmore Member
Chairman Meow
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote yishmael Replybullet Posted: 14 April 2008 at 1:26am
Originally posted by Al-Cordoby

Why are Mormons a "hated" group in the US?

We have a history of being at odds with the governments of the US and Mexico. We had our own society, which largely rejected many Christian values. We had collective farms (like you find among the mennonites) and we believed in a religious form of communism, where people worked together for the good of all.

We don't do these things now, but those were the roots of the conflict. It's the same as the Anabaptists or Jews in 17th century Europe, or the Muslims today.

A few crazy people calling themselves Muslims caused some trouble. Now every time someone stubs his toe he instinctively imagines that "the Muslims" are responsible. Ultimately, you guys replaced us as the national scapegoat.
Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Forum Rating: 159
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 14 April 2008 at 1:48am
Right, I get it !

Welcome to the forum by the way - I hope you like it here

From the Mormon experience, what do you suggest American Muslims could do to get away from the current scapegoat situation?

Think Win-Win for a better world for all...

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Gargoyle  
Sophmore Member
Sophmore Member
Religion: Islam(Shia)
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Gargoyle Replybullet Posted: 14 April 2008 at 11:46am

Edited by Gargoyle - 27 May 2008 at 2:12pm
MedGirl
Mureed
Mureed
Religion: Unknown(Unknown)
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote MedGirl Replybullet Posted: 14 April 2008 at 1:24pm
lol I observed the scapegoat trend too. Once upon a time, it used to be communism.
Aviatrix  
Admin Group
Admin Group
WhyIslam Forum Moderator
Forum Rating: 123
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Aviatrix Replybullet Posted: 14 April 2008 at 3:50pm
Communists, Catholics, Jews, Blacks...
jana.z  
Mureed
Mureed
Bismillah
Religion: Islam(Sunni)
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote jana.z Replybullet Posted: 14 April 2008 at 4:15pm
dont leave out fat ppl......now you cant be fat in mississippi. 

i guess i better stay outta there!
And hold fast, all together to the rope of Allah and do not separate.”Âl’ Imran:103)

http://myimmatureviewpoint.blogspot.com/
http://solomuslimah.blogspot.com/
scruggnut  
Mureed
Mureed
Religion: Unknown(Unknown)
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote scruggnut Replybullet Posted: 15 April 2008 at 10:20am
Will the violins ever stop playing?
Waiting an eternity for an apology from one who never apologizes but always demands one.
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version