Hall of FameHall of Fame  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp  chatChat
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Current Events
 Whyislam.org Forums : General : Current Events
Message Icon Topic: Are Biofuels a Crime Against Humanity? Post Reply Post New Topic
Poll Question: Are Biofuels that Cause Starvation a Crime Against Humanity?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
4 [80.00%]
1 [20.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Religion: Islam(Muslim)
Forum Rating: 159
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Topic: Are Biofuels a Crime Against Humanity?
    Posted: 15 April 2008 at 1:17am
According to a UN official, the growth in biofuels is causing food shortages around the world, and is a crime against humanity

The United Nations Special Rapporteur for the Right to Food has blasted the booming industry of biofuel for diverting fertile land from essential food production, as the world's top economic bodies warned of the food crisis dire consequences.

"Producing biofuels today is a crime against humanity," Jean Ziegler told the German radio station Bayerischer Runfunk on Monday, April 14.

He said the massive production of biofuel is having a disastrous impact on global food supplies.

Biofuel, also called agrofuel, is the fuel derived from recently dead biological material, most commonly plants.  

Using arable land to produce crops for biofuel has reduced surfaces available to grow food worldwide, explained the UN official.

Instead of supporting biofuel production on the expense of agricultural land, he stressed, the world must work for providing agricultural subsidies....

Millions at Risk

The UN warning came as the two leading world economic bodies painted a bleak picture of the globally-hiking food prices.

"Based on a rough analysis, we estimate that a doubling of food prices over the last three years could potentially push 100 million people in low-income countries deeper into poverty," World Bank President Robert Zoellick said at the end of a summit with the International Monetary Fund (IMF) in Washington.

Do you agree with growth in biofuels will lead to an increase in famine around the world?

Is it a crime against humanity?

What do you think?

Think Win-Win for a better world for all...

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

No Guest-Voting   IP IP Logged
shobar  
Sophmore Member
Sophmore Member
Forum Rating: 0
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote shobar Replybullet Posted: 15 April 2008 at 2:41am
There are several plants that can be produce as fuel without endangering the world food stock e.g Jatropha can grow in harsh climates and can be planted in areas where it won't compete for resources needed to grow food.
If My servant draws near to Me an arm's length, I draw near to him a fathom's length. And if he comes to Me walking, I go to him at speed.
Massu  
Freshman
Freshman
Religion: Unknown(Unknown)
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Massu Replybullet Posted: 15 April 2008 at 3:01pm
Also, several countries will eventually have to come to grips with agriculture-- the world population is climbing very fast, and raising livestock takes up massive amounts of land. My fiancee's family used to raise cattle for slaughter, but eventually had to stop because the cows took up so much land, which they utterly destroy just by living.

We will either need to change how people take up land, or how we raise the animals we eat, if we're ever going to all live here in the future. Better land management is going to be critical, no matter what we use for fuel.
MedGirl
Mureed
Mureed
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote MedGirl Replybullet Posted: 15 April 2008 at 3:29pm
Originally posted by Al-Cordoby

Do you agree with growth in biofuels will lead to an increase in famine around the world?

What do you think?

Yes. Its extremely inefficient, atleast the studies I've read about corn being used to produce ethanol. Not a good idea and its not worth it.
Massu  
Freshman
Freshman
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Massu Replybullet Posted: 15 April 2008 at 3:56pm
Originally posted by MedGirl

What do you think?

Yes. Its extremely inefficient, atleast the studies I've read about corn being used to produce ethanol. Not a good idea and its not worth it.

I've heard that, too. Alternatively, I've also seen something where the discarded oil from cooking french fries, once you filter out the gunk that settles into it during the frying process, gets decent fuel economy in a diesel engine-- slightly less than diesel gasoline, but the difference isn't a big one. It'd be somewhat fitting (and pretty funny) if everyone in the US started fueling their cars with fast food oils!

Of course, we'd all have to be using diesel engines for that to work. But it's food (hah!) for thought.
Bill2702  
Super Mureed
Super Mureed
Golly goo deaf hello
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Bill2702 Replybullet Posted: 15 April 2008 at 4:57pm

Is oil companies witholding new technologies to boost their short term profits a crime against humanity?

Anything free is worth what you pay for it.
Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 16 April 2008 at 12:33am
Hello Bill, and welcome back

Two wrongs don't make one right, do they?

Oil is coming to an end, and the sooner we are prepared with efficient alternatives which don't cause major damage, like the current use of biofuels, the better

It's in our collective best interest to find sustainable alternatives which don't cause an increase in famine and poverty around the world

This article is from The Times:

RUSH FOR BIOFUELS THREATENS STARVATION ON A GLOBAL SCALE

The rush towards biofuels is theatening world food production and the lives of billions of people, the Government's Chief Scientific Adviser said yesterday.

Professor John Beddington put himself at odds with ministers who have committed Britain to large increases in the use of biofuels over the coming decades. In his first important public speech since he was appointed, he described the potential impacts of food shortages as the "elephant in the room" and a problem which rivalled that of climate change.

"It's very hard to imagine how we can see the world growing enough crops to produce renewable energy and at the same time meet the enormous demand for food," he told a conference on sustainability in London yesterday.

"The supply of food really isn't keeping up." ...

Professor Beddington said that the prospect of food shortages over the next 20 years was so acute that politicians, scientists and farmers must begin to tackle it immediately.

"Climate change is a real issue and is rightly being dealt with by major global investment," he said afterwards. "However, I am concerned there is another major issue along a similar time-scale, an elephant in the room - that of food and energy security. This is giving me and many of my scientific colleagues much concern."

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/environment/article3500954.ece

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 16 April 2008 at 12:41am
Originally posted by shobar

There are several plants that can be produce as fuel without endangering the world food stock e.g Jatropha can grow in harsh climates and can be planted in areas where it won't compete for resources needed to grow food.

If that's the case it would be a good alternative.

But what percentage are they at the moment?

Also, processing agricultural waste into fuel would be good

The main objection is turning corn and other crops into fuel

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

sahbun  
Sophmore Member
Sophmore Member
Religion: Islam(Sunni)
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote sahbun Replybullet Posted: 16 April 2008 at 1:42am
Assalamu Alaikum Brothers,

Where can I find any ststistics of how much percentage of land is being used for biofuel and how much is for food. and how it is getting changed every year?
Everyone knows better than me...........
shobar  
Sophmore Member
Sophmore Member
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote shobar Replybullet Posted: 16 April 2008 at 7:30am

If that's the case it would be a good alternative.
But what percentage are they at the moment?
Also, processing agricultural waste into fuel would be good
The main objection is turning corn and other crops into fuel

Large scale Jatropha plantations are being created in India, China, Burma, Nicaragua, Africa. detail

One UK-based company, D1, put itself at the forefront of efforts on Jatropha oil. Jatropha grows quickly, is hardy, establishes itself easily even in arid land, and is drought-tolerant, requiring only 300mm of annual rainfail. It grows especially well in South and West Africa, and South East Asia. Jatropha can even be grown on semi-arid land using waste water, making it a useful tool in the prevention of desertification. Each Jatropha tree can produce an average of 3.5 kilos of beans each year depending on irrigation levels. According to D1's estimates, if 2,200 Jatropha trees are planted per hectare, each hectare could yield up to 7 tonnes of beans per annum. Jatropha beans can produce oil yields of up to 40% and D1 expects each hectare to deliver about 3,000 litres of biodiesel. detail
If My servant draws near to Me an arm's length, I draw near to him a fathom's length. And if he comes to Me walking, I go to him at speed.
Massu  
Freshman
Freshman
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Massu Replybullet Posted: 16 April 2008 at 7:31pm
This sounds pretty increadible... I wonder how long it will take for much more extensive research to be done on this plant? It really does look like a boon in a number of ways for the world...
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version