Hall of FameHall of Fame  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp  chatChat
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
InterReligious Dialogue
 Whyislam.org Forums : General : InterReligious Dialogue
Message Icon Topic: chiristian scholars Post Reply Post New Topic
wachemba  
Freshman
Freshman
Religion: Islam(Muslim)
Forum Rating: 0
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote wachemba Replybullet Topic: chiristian scholars
    Posted: 19 April 2008 at 7:08am
Can someone tell me why Christians scholars find it easy to re-write, delete and revise the Bible at their own will. Thanks.
Ahmed Wetaka
PO BOX 2488
Mbale-Uganda
+256772609636/0752609736
No Guest-Voting   IP IP Logged
Damo808  
Mureed
Mureed

Religion: Christian(Catholic)
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Damo808 Replybullet Posted: 19 April 2008 at 7:13am
Originally posted by wachemba

Can someone tell me why Christians scholars find it easy to re-write, delete and revise the Bible at their own will. Thanks.

You know wachemba... some may ask why some Muslims find it easy to make accusations without providing any evidence to back up their claims ?
out of thee shall he come forth unto me that is to be the ruler in Israel: and his going forth is from the beginning, from the days of eternity. Micah 5:5
Aviatrix  
Admin Group
Admin Group
WhyIslam Forum Moderator
Forum Rating: 123
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Aviatrix Replybullet Posted: 19 April 2008 at 8:04am
Indeed, it would be easier to answer your question if you offered some example of what you're talking about--namely, Christian scholars who "re-write, delete, and revise" the Bible with ease.
amoxoxoma  
Graduate
Graduate
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote amoxoxoma Replybullet Posted: 20 April 2008 at 11:55pm

I think you are talking about translations of the bible.

I can show you 6 or 8 different translations of the Quran that kind, of sort of,  more or less, say the same thing.

You need to understand that christians don't believe that God dictated all the words of the bible in the same way that muslims believe that God (via Gabriel) dictated, word for word, the whole Quran. The 2 religions have different understanding of what revelation means.
The more deeply we are our true selves, the less self is in us.
Meister Eckhart
StoryMing  
Freshman
Freshman
Religion: Christian(Non-Denom.)
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote StoryMing Replybullet Posted: 21 April 2008 at 1:16am

Simple: Christian scholars do not rewrite, delete and revise the Bible at their own will.

I am not a textual critic, but I am credibly told that there is many, MANY times more documentary evidence for the integrity of the New Testament than there is of any other piece of ancient literature- say, Homer's Iliad for example- that is accepted as reliably authentic.

On the other hand, I understand that the Qu'ran contains later passages which negate and supercede previous earlier ones. I apologize for responding in kind, but this does not inspire me with confidence in the Qu'ran as Allah's final divine revelation.
boink  
Freshman
Freshman

Religion: Islam(Sunni)
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote boink Replybullet Posted: 21 April 2008 at 11:59am

maybe youre talking about some version (king james, catholic version, new international edition etc,,,)

delete - why a catholic bible contains 73 books while a protestant bible has 66, then later the catholic bible followed with 66.

the holy qur'an has different translations but it only has 1 version!!!

boink  
Freshman
Freshman

Religion: Islam(Sunni)
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote boink Replybullet Posted: 21 April 2008 at 12:01pm
Originally posted by StoryMing

Simple: Christian scholars do not rewrite, delete and revise the Bible at their own will.

I am not a textual critic, but I am credibly told that there is many, MANY times more documentary evidence for the integrity of the New Testament than there is of any other piece of ancient literature- say, Homer's Iliad for example- that is accepted as reliably authentic.

On the other hand, I understand that the Qu'ran contains later passages which negate and supercede previous earlier ones. I apologize for responding in kind, but this does not inspire me with confidence in the Qu'ran as Allah's final divine revelation.

can you pls prove out your point, but please be reminded that there is NO PERFECT TRANSLATION OF THE HOLY QUR'AN, 
StoryMing  
Freshman
Freshman
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote StoryMing Replybullet Posted: 21 April 2008 at 7:24pm
Originally posted by boink

Originally posted by StoryMing

can you pls prove out your point, but please be reminded that there is NO PERFECT TRANSLATION OF THE HOLY QUR'AN, 

I wasn't talking about translations of the Qu'ran; I understand that the Qu'ran is considered untranslatable, this has nothing to do with that. I was referring to the principle of naskh (nāsikh), or abrogation.

Here's a wikipedia link:
StoryMing  
Freshman
Freshman
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote StoryMing Replybullet Posted: 23 April 2008 at 11:04am

wachemba? boink? Anyone still here?

Surely someone must know what I'm talking about? This is not a hidden or unknown concept in Islam...
waheed1  
Admin Group
Admin Group

Whyislam Shura
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote waheed1 Replybullet Posted: 23 April 2008 at 11:55am
The idea of "abrogation" is pretty complicated, but in any case is not accepted by everybody. Moreover, it's not really the same as suggested by the original post/thread subject regarding the Bible.

Damo808  
Mureed
Mureed

Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Damo808 Replybullet Posted: 23 April 2008 at 2:53pm
Originally posted by waheed1

The idea of "abrogation" is pretty complicated, but in any case is not accepted by everybody. Moreover, it's not really the same as suggested by the original post/thread subject regarding the Bible.

Regarding Christian scripture the KJV as regards to the Catholic cannons. The matter is relatively minor, both editions hold the same essential Truths regarding Jesus and of His Divinity. The ones not present in the KJV but held in the Catholic editions convey no contradiction in Jesus nature or status in Heaven.  I cannot come away after reading the KJV and think of  Jesus differently to the Jesus in my own catholc edition.
out of thee shall he come forth unto me that is to be the ruler in Israel: and his going forth is from the beginning, from the days of eternity. Micah 5:5
waheed1  
Admin Group
Admin Group

Whyislam Shura
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote waheed1 Replybullet Posted: 23 April 2008 at 3:38pm
I think the OP was attempting to make reference to the fact that the Catholic and Protestant branches of Christianity do have different texts in their canon.

LtTony  
Mureed
Mureed
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote LtTony Replybullet Posted: 23 April 2008 at 7:40pm

That difference has been discussed many times before.  Aside from the catholic inclusion of the Apocrypha, there are NOT different texts.  Further, I'm unaware of any doctrinal disputes based on the Apocrypha or the so-called different texts.  Maybe there is.  Off hand, I'd say all the doctrinal differences are based on different interpretations of essentially the same text.
"“We love death. The US loves life. That is the difference between us two.” Osama Bin Laden
Damo808  
Mureed
Mureed

Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Damo808 Replybullet Posted: 23 April 2008 at 7:41pm

What is contained in the KJV is also contained completely in the Catholic editions.
The omission of the Apocrypha cannons from the KJV which are held in the Catholic cannons are only a just a portion of what divides Catholics from Protestants..... there is much much more that binds us than separates us. Again there is nothing in either edition which contradicts the other regarding Jesus Nature , and that of the Truine God.

Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version