Hall of FameHall of Fame  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp  chatChat
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
InterReligious Dialogue
 Whyislam.org Forums : General : InterReligious Dialogue
Message Icon Topic: Forgivness of sin Post Reply Post New Topic
Page  of 2 Next >>
jamilahz  
Graduate
Graduate
in exile
Religion: Islam(Muslim)
Forum Rating: 0
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote jamilahz Replybullet Topic: Forgivness of sin
    Posted: 19 April 2008 at 9:20pm
Today while driving home from shopping I saw a car with a bumper sticker, it said:

1 Cross + 3 Nails = 4GVN

This got Umar and I to talking about it.  Christians believe that Jesus died for their sins.  does this mean that all sins of the past before Jesus were forgiven, and all of the sins that any believing Christian will do are forgiven?

Is it all sins or just specific ones?  Catholics confess to a priest and then do penance, do all denomination do something like that?

Just wondering.

Edit:  One other thing, was it really 3 nails?
www.hudastore.com

www.theoneislam.com
No Guest-Voting   IP IP Logged
Squeegie  

Religion: Christian(Non-Denom.)
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Squeegie Replybullet Posted: 20 April 2008 at 2:32pm
It is in fact all sins. I believe the confession to a priest is a strictly Catholic thing, though other denominations could learn from this tradition. There is something to be said for confessing out loud to someone and have forgiveness pronounced to you. On a psychological level, this practice does much good.
yishmael  
Sophmore Member
Sophmore Member
Chairman Meow
Religion: Atheist(Atheist)
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote yishmael Replybullet Posted: 20 April 2008 at 4:17pm
This is really an interesting topic.

The Mormon interpretation differs from the Christian one, in that Mormons generally believe it takes more than simple confession, apology or what have you to achieve the forgiveness of God.

In the Mormon tradition, one needs to make amends, as far as possible, for whatever wrong you do another. It's only after you repair the damage that you can hope for a spiritual resolution.

So if you stole someone's car, you would need to return it, and compensate your victim for the time he missed work and the stress of the theft also. After that, a person can move on.

Some sins can really not be amended in this life. For example, a rapist who desired atonement would not be able to make up the damage he did to his victim, no matter how much money he gave her, or how sorry he was. He would need to do all he could in this life, with the expectation that he might have other tasks to perform to work off his debt in the afterlife.

http://www.amazon.com/Miracle-Forgiveness-Spencer-W-Kimball/dp/0884944441
jamilahz  
Graduate
Graduate
in exile
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote jamilahz Replybullet Posted: 20 April 2008 at 5:12pm
Thanks for the answers.  So believing that Jesus died for your sins is enough for the main stream Christian?  What about sins like murder and rape?  
www.hudastore.com

www.theoneislam.com
Damo808  
Mureed
Mureed

Religion: Christian(Catholic)
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Damo808 Replybullet Posted: 20 April 2008 at 5:50pm
Originally posted by jamilahz

Thanks for the answers.  So believing that Jesus died for your sins is enough for the main stream Christian?  What about sins like murder and rape?  

Hi Jamilaz.

There are no sins which cannot be forgiven, other than blasphemy against the Holy Spirit or the Father knowingly. However there are sins which are more severe than others sure, which you've already mentioned above.. Whether one truly recieves forgiveness even from a catholic perspective in confession to a priest cannot be guaranteed.
 Speaking from the catholic perspective. When one goes and confesses to a priest, forgiveness is only attainable if the penitent is genuinely remorseful. Not only because they fear the concequences of their actions, but because they genuinely accept their guilt, and can comprehend the gravity of that which they have done. As for other Christians this same reflection of sin applys when seeking forgiveness. Simply doing the act means nothing.
out of thee shall he come forth unto me that is to be the ruler in Israel: and his going forth is from the beginning, from the days of eternity. Micah 5:5
hamayoun  
Super Mureed
Super Mureed
The Humble Muslim
Religion: Islam(Sunni)
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote hamayoun Replybullet Posted: 20 April 2008 at 6:08pm
So even with Jesus dieing for your sins, you still need to make true repentance?
May Allah give me patience, Ameen.

My blog: http://regularbaba.blogspot.com/
jamilahz  
Graduate
Graduate
in exile
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote jamilahz Replybullet Posted: 20 April 2008 at 6:34pm
How often is confession?  What kind of penance is there?
www.hudastore.com

www.theoneislam.com
struggle  
Undergraduate
Undergraduate
Religion: Other(Other)
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote struggle Replybullet Posted: 20 April 2008 at 6:54pm

Edit:  One other thing, was it really 3 nails?

Yes, 1 on each hand = 2 nails + 1 nail on both feet or angle = 3 nails.   
EYE FOR EYE
Damo808  
Mureed
Mureed

Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Damo808 Replybullet Posted: 20 April 2008 at 8:54pm
Originally posted by hamayoun

So even with Jesus dieing for your sins, you still need to make true repentance?

Jesus dying for our sins doesn't automaitically mean people can live whatever lives they desire to. Only that until He did die for our sins, there was no access to heaven, and that -that access is only available through Christ if one is worthy .

How often is confession?  What kind of penance is there?

Confession is as often as you are sinful, to the extent that your not leaving it too long to become too "burdened" as to recollect the baggage you've been accumulating so to speak, so thats down to the individual, however most priests try to encourage it particularly strongly prior to Good Friday/Easter and Christmas. As for the kind of penance That really is down to the gravity of the sin. For the normal individual who tries there best in life, mostly some form of prayers generally. As to the upper end of the scale... i'm not so sure myself. as each confession is bound by a vow of silence by the priest, who knows what some mortal sins require ? I'd expect there would be some way of enquiring about that though i can't answer that right now. I'll try findin out if you wish .
out of thee shall he come forth unto me that is to be the ruler in Israel: and his going forth is from the beginning, from the days of eternity. Micah 5:5
jamilahz  
Graduate
Graduate
in exile
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote jamilahz Replybullet Posted: 20 April 2008 at 10:12pm
Thanks Damo.  You said to Hamayoun that before Christ died, there was not access to heaven.  Did his death open that access to the people that came before him as well?

www.hudastore.com

www.theoneislam.com
StoryMing  
Freshman
Freshman
Religion: Christian(Non-Denom.)
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote StoryMing Replybullet Posted: 21 April 2008 at 12:44am

1 Cross + 3 Nails = 4GVN

Christians believe that Jesus died for their sins.  does this mean that all sins of the past before Jesus were forgiven, and all of the sins that any believing Christian will do are forgiven?

Is it all sins or just specific ones?  Catholics confess to a priest and then do penance, do all denomination do something like that?

One other thing, was it really 3 nails?

This is one of those things that we may never fully know until we get to heaven. My understanding is that Jesus' death was for ALL sin, past present and future, but we can choose to hold on to our sin, or we can choose God.

I don't think most Protestant denominations do confession/ penance, not in the way the Catholics understand it at least; we practice something we call "accountability"- we are encouraged to have a close circle of friends with whom we check in regularly, who can challenge us to live and walk more faithfully, and to whom we can talk freely about our struggles and mess-ups. And of course, if we do sin and hurt someone, we confess in prayer to God and make amends to the person we have wronged.

Best guess is that it probably really was three nails: one in each hand (or, wrist) and one for the feet.
desertdude  
The Legendary King of the Desert
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote desertdude Replybullet Posted: 21 April 2008 at 9:08pm
"Yes, 1 on each hand = 2 nails + 1 nail on both feet or angle = 3 nails."

Hmm u sure ..I dont think thats the universal consensus

Well actually there a lot of versions of how the actual curcifixtion took place some say he was nailed in the palms some say he was nailed in the wrists as it is not physically possible for the hands to support the weight of the body and the would split into two .Some says he was tied and some say he was tied and nailed .

Only one cropse has been found of that era in 1968 at Giv'atha Mivtar which has been crucified and that shows he was tied at the wrists and hung and not nailed ,feet crossed and nailed to a small olive plaque.

And a personal observation most likely "IF" jesus was crucified and that was suppose to be a form of capital punisment ,public humilation and torture .I don't think the romans after a serious whooping and humiliation leave a little lion cloth to save the persons diginity when being crucified .The victim would be left naked on the cross for all to see and learn a lesson .

One last thing the cross is more like to be a T than a cross .A horizontal beam affixed over a vertical beam know as a tau or St.Anthonys cross

Well thats my .02
We r not the conspiracy theorists on this issue.It seems 2 me like 19 amateurs with box cutters taking over four airliners and hitting 75 % of their targets-that feels like a conspiracy theory.C.Sheen
Damo808  
Mureed
Mureed

Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Damo808 Replybullet Posted: 21 April 2008 at 9:32pm

Thanks Damo.  You said to Hamayoun that before Christ died, there was not access to heaven.  Did his death open that access to the people that came before him as well?

As Christians underdstand it,  thats correct Jamilahz. In Genesis the gates at the garden of Eden were closed fast guarded by the Cherubim. The dead until Christs death went to 'hell' not the eternal hell fire, but hades.

Kings 2:6 6 The Lord killeth and maketh alive, he bringeth down to hell and bringeth back again.

Hell in the damnation sense is eternal, therefore the 'hell' mentioned above is the place of souls prior to the Crucifixion.
bcgirl  
Sophmore Member
Sophmore Member
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote bcgirl Replybullet Posted: 21 April 2008 at 10:25pm
Salam, hey just a word to your reply about that bumber sticker...i wish everyone was as blessed as i was a day i was on my way to work and saw a bumper sticker....it read: Why worry? God's in control... that made my whole day....and it is so profound that (and excuse me if i sound a wee bit cuckoo's nest) but if we have the power to not worry...and i mean really not worry because utimately it is all in God's hands yes??? so no matter how much sleep we lose about being 2 days late for rent, or for your car insurance "He" has it all worked out for us!!! as far as 3 nails and sins forgiven???geesh.... i know my friend, this sounds crazy...i beleive in Jesus(pbuh) as you do, but it has already been said in the Qur'an that Jesus(pbuh) did not have a physical death and that he is not the son of Allah, and it is only "He" that can forgive our sins...just stick to the good book and questions like this and when you see the billboards and bumper stickers  you will just smile to yourself and just remember...Canada is the most multi-cultural country probably in existance (i have no documented proof) but as many muslims that live here, it is not an Islamic country...so next time just smile and remember...Why worry, God's in control...Salam Aleikum
Salam Aleikum, my new mission statement:Why worry? God's in control...
Page  of 2 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version