Hall of FameHall of Fame  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp  chatChat
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
InterReligious Dialogue
 Whyislam.org Forums : General : InterReligious Dialogue
Message Icon Topic: Forgivness of sin Post Reply Post New Topic
<< Prev Page  of 2
bcgirl  
Sophmore Member
Sophmore Member
Religion: Islam(Muslim)
Forum Rating: 0
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote bcgirl Replybullet Posted: 21 April 2008 at 10:54pm
Salam Aleikum to everyone who chooses to read my comment... i am in transition at this point but i have learned alot about Islam and lucky for me there are people in my life who have all the answers i seek and more...to me it makes sense that only God can forgive our sins...why would i go into a little booth confess extremely personal things that i am too ashamed to tell my family or significant other and really "believe" that this individual has the power to forgive all that was just spoken to him?? how do i know what this pastor/priest is like outside the church?? is he a credible individual to himself,his family,and the community?i realize most pp know their pastor/priest but what happens if you are a catholic newcomer and join that church?? im sure new pp go every week?? the psychological standpoint i do understand...someone else mentioned that but really...if you pray to God and believe in His infinate power thats all you need. my opinion is if you feel a human who is full of sin, judgement and a whole lot of things can absolve you of your sins ??? then you need to take a good long look in the mirror and really ask yourself...Do i believe in God?? because if you do.. you wouldnt need a human to forgive/absolve you of your sins...i am not judging,please dont misinterpret my words, this is purely my opinion.... and for all the christian,catholics,protestant,and so on... to be considered a muslim you have to believe in all his books and angels and prophets from Adam(pbuh) to Mohammud(pbuh) so if you havent picked up the Holy Qur'an...DO..its a beautiful work of art...like your opinion of the Sistene Chapel or the Vatican....please give it a read..it will change your life..it changed mine...
Salam Aleikum, my new mission statement:Why worry? God's in control...
No Guest-Voting   IP IP Logged
yishmael  
Sophmore Member
Sophmore Member
Chairman Meow
Religion: Atheist(Atheist)
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote yishmael Replybullet Posted: 21 April 2008 at 11:01pm
Hi BC Girl:

Sounds like Islam worked a miracle for you. Congratulations!

And I agree about Qur'an. It's great literature on par with any other pillar of western civilization. It's unfortunate that we don't tend to familiarize ourselves with it here (as we do with the Jewish & Christian scriptures) but I trust that will change with time.
hannah114  
Mureed
Mureed
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote hannah114 Replybullet Posted: 21 April 2008 at 11:24pm
you are right bcgirl, if someone truly belives in God and all His power then they don't need an intermediary to forgive sins.
Damo808  
Mureed
Mureed

Religion: Christian(Catholic)
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Damo808 Replybullet Posted: 22 April 2008 at 1:03pm
Originally posted by bcgirl

Salam Aleikum to everyone who chooses to read my comment... i am in transition at this point but i have learned alot about Islam and lucky for me there are people in my life who have all the answers i seek and more...to me it makes sense that only God can forgive our sins...why would i go into a little booth confess extremely personal things that i am too ashamed to tell my family or significant other and really "believe" that this individual has the power to forgive all that was just spoken to him?? how do i know what this pastor/priest is like outside the church?? is he a credible individual to himself,his family,and the community?i realize most pp know their pastor/priest but what happens if you are a catholic newcomer and join that church?? im sure new pp go every week?? the psychological standpoint i do understand...someone else mentioned that but really...if you pray to God and believe in His infinate power thats all you need. my opinion is if you feel a human who is full of sin, judgement and a whole lot of things can absolve you of your sins ??? then you need to take a good long look in the mirror and really ask yourself...Do i believe in God?? because if you do.. you wouldnt need a human to forgive/absolve you of your sins...i am not judging,please dont misinterpret my words, this is purely my opinion.... and for all the christian,catholics,protestant,and so on... to be considered a muslim you have to believe in all his books and angels and prophets from Adam(pbuh) to Mohammud(pbuh) so if you havent picked up the Holy Qur'an...DO..its a beautiful work of art...like your opinion of the Sistene Chapel or the Vatican....please give it a read..it will change your life..it changed mine...

I did .. a few years ago.
  And with all due respect, there's more to confession from the Catholic perspective that it seems your aware. Yes only God can forgive sins, Catholics believe this as well as Muslims do.
out of thee shall he come forth unto me that is to be the ruler in Israel: and his going forth is from the beginning, from the days of eternity. Micah 5:5
jamilahz  
Graduate
Graduate
in exile
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote jamilahz Replybullet Posted: 22 April 2008 at 1:08pm
Thats cool that you read the Quran Damo... which translation was it?
www.hudastore.com

www.theoneislam.com
Damo808  
Mureed
Mureed

Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Damo808 Replybullet Posted: 22 April 2008 at 1:11pm
Originally posted by jamilahz

Thats cool that you read the Quran Damo... which translation was it?

Hi Jamilahz...

It was one which a female friend lent to me for some time.. I still have the cover of it in my mind, green with golden inlay. It was an english translation. < is that what you meant ?
out of thee shall he come forth unto me that is to be the ruler in Israel: and his going forth is from the beginning, from the days of eternity. Micah 5:5
jamilahz  
Graduate
Graduate
in exile
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote jamilahz Replybullet Posted: 22 April 2008 at 1:21pm
Damo

It must have been Yusuf Ali...

Is this it?

www.hudastore.com

www.theoneislam.com
Damo808  
Mureed
Mureed

Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Damo808 Replybullet Posted: 22 April 2008 at 1:27pm

I think your right Jamilahz.... same shade of green colour and the golden inlay seems very familiar.

jamilahz  
Graduate
Graduate
in exile
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote jamilahz Replybullet Posted: 22 April 2008 at 1:30pm
Its the version most commonly found at bookstores like border and Barnes and Noble.  The one that I have found I Like the most is Saheeh International

Very plain english, good translation... not much commentary though. 
www.hudastore.com

www.theoneislam.com
StoryMing  
Freshman
Freshman
Religion: Christian(Non-Denom.)
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote StoryMing Replybullet Posted: 23 April 2008 at 11:16am
I always run into this problem with literature: without knowing the original language, how can I tell which translation is best? And this goes especially for the Qu'ran which is considered to be inherently untranslatable.

As to confession/forgiveness, as a Christian I fully agree that only God can forgive sin. We believe that Jesus is our intermediary, but that's a whole other discussion. So no, I don't believe anyone has to go through a priest or minister to get to God; although it seems that He often chooses to work through a human medium
hannah114  
Mureed
Mureed
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote hannah114 Replybullet Posted: 23 April 2008 at 11:38pm
I use the Yusuf Ali translation....although I wish it had the arabic transliteration as well. but I do like the in-depth explanations throughout the book
Massu  
Freshman
Freshman
Religion: Unknown(Unknown)
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Massu Replybullet Posted: 24 April 2008 at 1:44pm
I have the Yusuf Ali translation at home... a professor I've been talking back and forth with about Islam gave it to me for my fiancee, who wanted to read the Quran but doesn't read Arabic. I have my own copy in Arabic, and I've been slowly trying to piece together reading it without a translation.

As far as I know, most Protestant denominations do not have any form of confession. Since the nature of the relationship between the believer and God is supposed to be a personal one, one can confess their sins directly to God and ask forgiveness, without having to go through a priest.

yishmael: I was actually raised with a similar attitude towards penance as a Catholic, oddly enough, that you had to not only confess, but to amend the damage you've done because of your sin. Although, I'm not sure if this is something that is universally Catholic or if it was specific to the neighborhood and parish I grew up in. I stopped attending Catholic school before I actually learned much about the religion...
yishmael  
Sophmore Member
Sophmore Member
Chairman Meow
Religion: Atheist(Atheist)
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote yishmael Replybullet Posted: 24 April 2008 at 3:31pm
yishmael: I was actually raised with a similar attitude towards penance as a Catholic, oddly enough, that you had to not only confess, but to amend the damage you've done because of your sin. Although, I'm not sure if this is something that is universally Catholic or if it was specific to the neighborhood and parish I grew up in. I stopped attending Catholic school before I actually learned much about the religion...

That's so interesting.

I read Kimball's book when I was a little kid. It's frequently criticized, often justifiably so, for the strange ideas contained therein. For example: Kimball contended (based upon earlier Mormon theological ideas) that Cain (the guy who killed his brother in Genesis) was immortally doomed to walk the earth. In the book, Kimball tied him to sightings of Sasquatch. (No, I'm not kidding). Kimball also had some rather bizarre ideas about human sexuality. I read the book with my father (who was then in the stake presidency) and he wisely told me to ignore this nonsense when it occasionally popped up.

All that aside, it was helpful for me to read the book as an early teenager. It was common for kids in my community to imagine that a simple "I'm sorry" was sufficient to get him or her out of whatever harm he might have caused others. Kimball (rightly, in my opinion) dispelled that notion in favor of putting feelings of remorse into actions of reconciliation.

Something interesting I've found on the Catholic perspective can be read here:
http://www.ncccusa.org/pdfs/IFRtomryan.pdf

Father Ryan is a cogent thinker who talks (in this article) about the process of collective reconciliation between bodies of people. He seems to touch on some of the wise ideas you refer to here, promoted by your own individual religious leaders in your youth.
<< Prev Page  of 2
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version