Hall of FameHall of Fame  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp  chatChat
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
InterReligious Dialogue
 Whyislam.org Forums : General : InterReligious Dialogue
Message Icon Topic: Similarities between religions. Post Reply Post New Topic
Page  of 3 Next >>
MedGirl
Mureed
Mureed
Religion: Unknown(Unknown)
Forum Rating: 0
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote MedGirl Replybullet Topic: Similarities between religions.
    Posted: 23 April 2008 at 3:56am
I want to start a discussion about the major/minor similarities between all religions.

Any general or specific details can be mentioned.

Nice happy discussion time.
No Guest-Voting   IP IP Logged
Traveller  
Graduate
Graduate

Religion: Islam(Muslim)
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Traveller Replybullet Posted: 23 April 2008 at 5:05am

They all have men and women followers.

In life, be like a traveller. Take only what you need
jamilahz  
Graduate
Graduate
in exile
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote jamilahz Replybullet Posted: 24 April 2008 at 10:54am
Islam
Christianity
Faith without works is useless (it is not enough to simply say "I believe). Faith without works is useless (it is not enough to simply say "I believe).
God severely punishes the worship of any deity other than God Himself as well as disrespect toward Him. God severely punishes the worship of any deity other than God Himself, as well as disrespect toward Him.
Humans have rights (hence the prohibitions on murder, theft, lying, violence). Humans have rights (hence the prohibitions on murder, theft, lying, violence).
Parents have special rights (to be honoured), as do spouses (hence adultery is forbidden). Parents have special rights (to be honoured), as do spouses (hence adultery is forbidden).
Fornication and lewd behaviour are forbidden. Fornication and lewd behaviour are forbidden.
Transgressions similar to the Christian "seven deadly sins" (avarice, pride, greed, gluttony; envy, lust, sloth) are all spiritual illnesses. Transgressions similar to the Catholic "seven deadly sins" (avarice, pride, greed, gluttony; envy, lust, sloth) are all spiritual illnesses..
Society's laws must be obeyed. Society's laws must be obeyed.
Intoxication is forbidden. Intoxication is forbidden.
Suicide is forbidden. Suicide is forbidden.
www.hudastore.com

www.theoneislam.com
Massu  
Freshman
Freshman
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Massu Replybullet Posted: 24 April 2008 at 1:27pm
Between the Abrahamic religions, at least, all three believe that their sacred scriptures are the Word of God, as relayed by a prophet or go-between of some kind (Judaism: Moses and the prophets and historians, Christianity: Jesus (pbuh) (as expressed by the evangelists), St. Paul, St. John of Patmos, other epistle writers, Islam: the prophets, culminating in Muhammad's (pbuh) reception of the Quran)
struggle  
Undergraduate
Undergraduate
Religion: Other(Other)
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote struggle Replybullet Posted: 24 April 2008 at 3:54pm

The spirit in Islam has not been clearly explain. Perherps if Angel Gabriel can turn in the form of a holy spirit then it would be a basic reality, but I know thats a unrealistic reality. Angels are creatures made servants in heaven, thats where they dwell therein unless they have a mission. Angel Gabriel brings the orders from God to the Angels, or would be the messenager of God to the earth. Thats what I always understood... 

EYE FOR EYE
waheed1  
Admin Group
Admin Group

Whyislam Shura
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote waheed1 Replybullet Posted: 24 April 2008 at 3:57pm
The angel Gabriel, called Jibreel in Arabic, is seen as the angel who brings down revelation from God. This is why Gabriel  is sometimes called The holy spirit in the Qur'an [Ruuh ul-Quddus].

Obviously, we don't see the angel  as the third in a trinity, we see him as a servant of God, doing what God has commanded.
Aviatrix  
Admin Group
Admin Group
WhyIslam Forum Moderator
Forum Rating: 123
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Aviatrix Replybullet Posted: 24 April 2008 at 4:07pm
Charity in secret! A similarity between Christianity and Islam. See below the teaching of Jesus, and Muhammad (peace be upon them.)

Matthew 6:2-4 So when you give to the needy, do not announce it with trumpets, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and on the streets, to be honored by men. I tell you the truth, they have received their reward in full. 3But when you give to the needy, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing, 4so that your giving may be in secret. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you.

The Prophet said, "Allah will give shade, to seven, on the Day when there will be no shade but His. (These seven persons are) a just ruler, a youth who has been brought up in the worship of Allah (i.e. worships Allah sincerely from childhood), a man whose heart is attached to the mosques (i.e. to pray the compulsory prayers in the mosque in congregation), two persons who love each other only for Allah's sake and they meet and part in Allah's cause only, a man who refuses the call of a charming woman of noble birth for illicit intercourse with her and says: I am afraid of Allah, a man who gives charitable gifts so secretly that his left hand does not know what his right hand has given (i.e. nobody knows how much he has given in charity), and a person who remembers Allah in seclusion and his eyes are then flooded with tears."

struggle  
Undergraduate
Undergraduate
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote struggle Replybullet Posted: 24 April 2008 at 4:24pm
Originally posted by waheed1

The angel Gabriel, called Jibreel in Arabic, is seen as the angel who brings down revelation from God. This is why Gabriel  is sometimes called The holy spirit in the Qur'an [Ruuh ul-Quddus].

Obviously, we don't see the angel  as the third in a trinity, we see him as a servant of God, doing what God has commanded.

In the bible Angel Gabriel appeared to Mary(the mother of Jesus) with a revelation from God. He did not come in a holy spirit form. The holy spirit was called God because that was only protector and relationship with God in humans. Sometimes that can contradict human's experiences though. 
EYE FOR EYE
waheed1  
Admin Group
Admin Group

Whyislam Shura
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote waheed1 Replybullet Posted: 24 April 2008 at 5:04pm
The Qur'an also has Gabriel coming to Mary. I am not saying which way he came to people, in a form of what we commonly think of as a ghost or in human form.

Because Gabriel is the one who brings revelation, this seems to be the reason why he is called "holy".
struggle  
Undergraduate
Undergraduate
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote struggle Replybullet Posted: 24 April 2008 at 5:29pm

I don't see Angel Gabriel as a ghost or a human form. Oh now Angel Gabriel doesn't form a holy spirit.....ok no further questions.

EYE FOR EYE
waheed1  
Admin Group
Admin Group

Whyislam Shura
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote waheed1 Replybullet Posted: 24 April 2008 at 5:51pm
Originally posted by struggle

I don't see Angel Gabriel as a ghost or a human form. Oh now Angel Gabriel doesn't form a holy spirit.....ok no further questions.

I'm afraid I don't understand your statement here. Gabriel is sometimes called "the holy spirit" in Islam, and in Christendom the Holy spirit is seen as the third in the Trinity.

All I meant was that I was not commenting on which appearance Gabriel comes through, that of a dove, or a ghost, or of a human form. I was focusing on how I understood the role of Gabriel. Were you offended by that?
desertdude  
The Legendary King of the Desert
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote desertdude Replybullet Posted: 24 April 2008 at 6:13pm
  First of I would like to give a round of applause to MedGirl for starting such a thread ,Something which brings us toghter and what I believe is the intention of this whole site instead of cherry picking each other all the time .Yes debate is also good for increasing understanding ,but here it usally turns out to become a Mud slinging competition .Something I would blame myself for aswell.

And I can already see this thread going that way by being hijacked and being turned into a debate about Angel Gabriel .

I am temporaily ( atleast for the next 5 mins ) appointing myself as the forumcop and requesting from all the posters Please stay in tune with the original intention the thread was started for .You know who are .

Most religons have more in common than they have diffrences ,but people usally focus on the diffrences .At the top of my head I cant remember the excat verse number.I can recall an ayat from Surah Al Imran .Lets all come toghter on common terms and talk about what is common among us.(My own translation and Allah know best )
We r not the conspiracy theorists on this issue.It seems 2 me like 19 amateurs with box cutters taking over four airliners and hitting 75 % of their targets-that feels like a conspiracy theory.C.Sheen
jana.z  
Mureed
Mureed
Bismillah
Religion: Islam(Sunni)
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote jana.z Replybullet Posted: 24 April 2008 at 6:17pm
i applaud you for that desert dude!!!! major kudos to ya!!!

keep it in line.
And hold fast, all together to the rope of Allah and do not separate.”Âl’ Imran:103)

http://myimmatureviewpoint.blogspot.com/
http://solomuslimah.blogspot.com/
Sagefrakrobatik  
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Sagefrakrobatik Replybullet Posted: 24 April 2008 at 9:52pm
Originally posted by Massu

Between the Abrahamic religions, at least, all three believe that their sacred scriptures are the Word of God, as relayed by a prophet or go-between of some kind (Judaism: Moses and the prophets and historians, Christianity: Jesus (pbuh) (as expressed by the evangelists), St. Paul, St. John of Patmos, other epistle writers, Islam: the prophets, culminating in Muhammad's (pbuh) reception of the Quran)

See this is what kills me. Anytime interreligious discussion is emphasized it only involves these three religions. For instance most of the discussion at my school that have been called interfaith have only involved those three groups. I believe we can learn alot from other groups if we try to become more inclusive. You dont have to agree with their theology but we should at least have their input.
Why eat vegetarians when you could eat meat eaters. They have more protein.
Page  of 3 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version