Hall of FameHall of Fame  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp  chatChat
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
General Discussion
 Whyislam.org Forums : General : General Discussion
Message Icon Topic: Is converting to Islam really converting Post Reply Post New Topic
<< Prev Page  of 5 Next >>
Brooklyn  
Sophmore Member
Sophmore Member
Religion: Other(Other)
Forum Rating: 0
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Brooklyn Replybullet Posted: 30 April 2008 at 10:23pm
Originally posted by Kadaveri

And history, as the Turks were never conquered by the Arabs. 

That's my point, it was conquered by Muslims and yet it has lost any glimpse of their western past and now appear fully "arabized".
No Guest-Voting   IP IP Logged
Ibn Al-Akwa  
Graduate
Graduate
Religion: Islam(Sunni)
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Ibn Al-Akwa Replybullet Posted: 30 April 2008 at 10:24pm
http://www.arab2.com/arab-traditional-dress/images/ardha.jpg

In Afghanistan, these guys will be made fun of for dressing like women.... oh we have a lot in common... lol
8:36: Indeed, those who disbelieve spend their wealth to avert [people] from the way of Allah. So they will spend it; then it will be for them a [source of] regret; then they will be overcome.
Guests
Guest Group
Guest Group

Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Guests Replybullet Posted: 30 April 2008 at 10:31pm
Brooklyn, in their entire history the Turks have never been conquered by any other nation, Muslim or non-Muslim.
No Self-Vote Allowed.   IP IP Logged
jamilahz  
Graduate
Graduate
in exile
Religion: Islam(Muslim)
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote jamilahz Replybullet Posted: 30 April 2008 at 10:34pm
Originally posted by Brooklyn

Anyway we're getting off topic.  Why does a guy who used to John Jones become Muhammad Abdullah after converting?  Why does he walk around saying Inshallah and talking in Arabic and essentially dressing like an arab, watching arab t.v. talking like an arab etc...

To an outsider it looks like you have to convert to being an arab when you convert to being a Muslim.

That person who changes his name and starts speaking arabic words is just immersing himself in his religion, why does it bother you so much?  We do sometimes change the way we dress and those kinds of clothes are comfortable and acceptable. 
www.hudastore.com

www.theoneislam.com
Brooklyn  
Sophmore Member
Sophmore Member
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Brooklyn Replybullet Posted: 30 April 2008 at 10:34pm

Brooklyn, in their entire history the Turks have never been conquered by any other nation, Muslim or non-Muslim.

Well you read a funny version of history...
Brooklyn  
Sophmore Member
Sophmore Member
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Brooklyn Replybullet Posted: 30 April 2008 at 10:41pm
Originally posted by jamilahz

Anyway we're getting off topic.  Why does a guy who used to John Jones become Muhammad Abdullah after converting?  Why does he walk around saying Inshallah and talking in Arabic and essentially dressing like an arab, watching arab t.v. talking like an arab etc...

To an outsider it looks like you have to convert to being an arab when you convert to being a Muslim.

That person who changes his name and starts speaking arabic words is just immersing himself in his religion, why does it bother you so much?  We do sometimes change the way we dress and those kinds of clothes are comfortable and acceptable. 

O.K. so that is basically saying "arab culture" is immersing himself in his religion, that goes back to my initial post.  I don't care at all, however people that I know who convert to Islam seem more like they convert to being an arab as I can notice them definitely becoming arab but I don't see much change in their spirituality.
Guests
Guest Group
Guest Group

Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Guests Replybullet Posted: 30 April 2008 at 10:56pm
jamilahz  
Graduate
Graduate
in exile
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote jamilahz Replybullet Posted: 30 April 2008 at 11:01pm
How do you know their level of spirituality? 

So its ok to take a Christian name? And dress like a Christian?  What nationality does that make you?
www.hudastore.com

www.theoneislam.com
Ibn Al-Akwa  
Graduate
Graduate
Religion: Islam(Sunni)
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Ibn Al-Akwa Replybullet Posted: 30 April 2008 at 11:02pm

I don't care at all, however people that I know who convert to Islam seem more like they convert to being an arab as I can notice them definitely becoming arab but I don't see much change in their spirituality.

Muslims' outward look is entirely their business as long as they follow the Islamic guideline.

The length of beard or Arabic clothing that converts wear show their love for the prophet(PBUH) because they want to immitate him in all aspects of their lives. That has nothing to do with conversion. The more one grows in love for the prophet, the more one likes to be like him in every aspect. This will only make sense to a person who fully understands the value of Love fro the prophet (PBUH). As for my sisters, they prefer to be like the mothers of believers (i.e the wives of the prophet), which again stems from the fact that they love the prophet.

Is wearing a cross part of being a christian?
I do not think so, but it is a non-required aspect of it that some people take on when the convert.
8:36: Indeed, those who disbelieve spend their wealth to avert [people] from the way of Allah. So they will spend it; then it will be for them a [source of] regret; then they will be overcome.
Brooklyn  
Sophmore Member
Sophmore Member
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Brooklyn Replybullet Posted: 30 April 2008 at 11:02pm

That's like saying Ireland has never been conquered then giving a "wiki" to the history of the Angles and Saxons who conquered Britania who in effect conquered Ireland for 800 years. Come on now let's not be ridiculous here.  The country that is now called Turkey has been conquered over and over again.

And anyway it's beside the point, modern day Turkish culture is no different to me than arab culture, they've been "arabized".

jamilahz  
Graduate
Graduate
in exile
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote jamilahz Replybullet Posted: 30 April 2008 at 11:07pm
Can you give specific examples of where you think Turkey has been arabized?
www.hudastore.com

www.theoneislam.com
Guests
Guest Group
Guest Group

Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Guests Replybullet Posted: 30 April 2008 at 11:32pm

That's like saying Ireland has never been conquered then giving a "wiki" to the history of the Angles and Saxons who conquered Britania who in effect conquered Ireland for 800 years. Come on now let's not be ridiculous here.  The country that is now called Turkey has been conquered over and over again.

And anyway it's beside the point, modern day Turkish culture is no different to me than arab culture, they've been "arabized".

Look, in your original post when you brought this up you said the Turks are a 'conquered race' who've been 'Arabised', that's obviously saying that they've been conquered by the Arabs at some point in their history, when they have not. You just got your facts mixed up, everyone does that every now and then, I do it all the time. So please just drop it and move on, we're not competing against each other here.

How is Turkish culture just like 'Arab' culture?
Brooklyn  
Sophmore Member
Sophmore Member
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Brooklyn Replybullet Posted: 01 May 2008 at 12:12am

Look, in your original post when you brought this up you said the Turks are a 'conquered race' who've been 'Arabised', that's obviously saying that they've been conquered by the Arabs at some point in their history, when they have not. You just got your facts mixed up, everyone does that every now and then, I do it all the time. So please just drop it and move on, we're not competing against each other here.

How is Turkish culture just like 'Arab' culture?

No you're just not understanding what I'm writing, first everyone in Turkey does not trace thier lineage back to the "turks" as described in your wiki.  Second I aid conquered people not race.  The people in modern day "turkey" have been conquered many times most recently by the Ottoman turks who have now laid claim to the area.  I didn't confuse anything for some reason you're arguing semantics with me instead of the main point.
Guests
Guest Group
Guest Group

Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Guests Replybullet Posted: 01 May 2008 at 1:25am
I'm aware that not everyone in Turkey is a Turk, but what does that have to do with the original claim that the Turks are a conquered people who've been 'Arabised'? So there are ethnic Kurdish, Armenian or Greek peoples who live in the country, have they been Arabised? What's your point?

The Ottoman took control of Anatolia from another Turkish tribe (the Seljuks), so it's not accurate to call the Turks a conquered people because of this (and even so, Arabs have nothing to do with it). The Turks had already converted to Islam centuries before this.

The main point is how have the Turks been 'Arabised'? Or how is Turkish culture just like 'Arab' culture? And what is Arab culture exactly? That's the crux of this thread, and what you have yet to explain, and what we'd like you to explain if any of the Muslims here are going to understand your train of thought, because right now I don't think any of us are seeing how you could think Arab, Turkish and Iranian culture are essentially the same. I really have no desire to go off on a tangent discussing Turkish history with you.

So please, just tell us what makes you think Turks and Iranians all have an essentially Arab culture, so we can get somewhere.
<< Prev Page  of 5 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version