Hall of FameHall of Fame  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp  chatChat
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
General Discussion
 Whyislam.org Forums : General : General Discussion
Message Icon Topic: Is converting to Islam really converting Post Reply Post New Topic
<< Prev Page  of 5 Next >>
waheed1  
Admin Group
Admin Group

Whyislam Shura
Religion: Islam(Muslim)
Forum Rating: 0
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote waheed1 Replybullet Posted: 01 May 2008 at 1:27am
Islam is a universal religion, meaning it has a universal appeal and message. Go to Hajj, or even to a local Mosque in the US with a mixed membership, and you will see different foods, cultures, and ways of thinking.

Maybe what you have witnessed among your friends is a mistaken observation. Maybe they are adopting things thinking it is Islam, when in fact it may only be another culture. However, I don't think any convert wants to become a member of another culture, they are simply trying to obey God and live morally.
No Guest-Voting   IP IP Logged
waheed1  
Admin Group
Admin Group

Whyislam Shura
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote waheed1 Replybullet Posted: 01 May 2008 at 1:29am
an except that may be helpful in this discussion...

What about Muslim unity?

Strength exists in diversity. This is demonstrated in the last pillar of Islam, the Hajj. One will see in Makkah during the pilgrimage people of all colors, ethnicities, social and economic backgrounds, all gathered together for the worship of Allah. Another good example is the Salaah, performed in the same language, Quranic Arabic, in an universally recognized format. An Arab Muslim can go to a Mosque in Nigeria and find that the Salaah is performed in the same manner.

The spiritual practices of Islam create an environment in which brotherhood, tolerance, love and compassion can thrive and flourish. This does not require uniformity in thought, understanding and appearance.

And if God had so willed, he would have made you one 'Ummah', but [differences exist in order to] test you in what you have been given. So, compete with each other in goodness..[ Q 5:48] 3

http://shamsuddinwaheed.blogspot.com/2008_01_01_archive.html
jana.z  
Mureed
Mureed
Bismillah
Religion: Islam(Sunni)
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote jana.z Replybullet Posted: 01 May 2008 at 6:48am
brooklyn, i understand what you mean but as i said earlier.....some things that you think to be arab are actually islamic.  name changes, for instance. when someone reverts to islam they're not obligated to change their name unless they have a name with an unacceptable meaning. but the names they should be choosing are generally islamic names. you said john becomes abdullah which means male servant of Allah. thats very appropriate. and as jamilah said, perhaps ppl want to immerse themselves in their religion. perhaps they want to do anything they can to "feel" islam.

i have to admit that there are ppl who confuse culture with islamic tradition. but give them time, theyll eventually get it straight.

how many muslims are there on this earth? how many reverts? im sure u know a tiny percentage of them personally just like any of us. point is, you cant really base what youre saying about reverts or muslims in general on those few reverts you know.

last point i want 2 make........once someone reverts to islam, they do not become perfect. important part is, they took the step and if a person is realistic, they know it takes daily learning and practice to learn to be a muslim. but a persons faith is between God and that person. even if you see outward behaviour that you may deem "unislamic", you really cant know whats in hat persons heart.

but dont stress yourself over the "arabization" of reverts. even if that was accurate, its not bad to be an arab!
And hold fast, all together to the rope of Allah and do not separate.”Âl’ Imran:103)

http://myimmatureviewpoint.blogspot.com/
http://solomuslimah.blogspot.com/
saira2  
Freshman
Freshman
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote saira2 Replybullet Posted: 01 May 2008 at 11:54am
Originally posted by jana.z

but dont stress yourself over the "arabization" of reverts. even if that was accurate, its not bad to be an arab!

Salaam

Thank you sis for saying that.

I'm not in favour of any type of unislamic tradition from any culture be it Arab, indian, pakistani, african or whatever
, but i do love the arabic language more than my own because its the language chosen by Allah swt for his message in the form of the holy Quran.  I also prefer wearing some clothing which originates from the middle east , the only reason for this is that an abaya, jilbab etc are much more modest than some shalwar kameez (these come from my country of origin which is , pakistan).
ASSALAMU'ALAIKUM......YOU CANT GET RID OF ME THAT EASILY!
jamilahz  
Graduate
Graduate
in exile
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote jamilahz Replybullet Posted: 01 May 2008 at 12:08pm
Is an abaya even considered arab?  its a big ol dress... I mean why is that arab?  I like them to because I can wear my PJ's under there and no one knows. :)
www.hudastore.com

www.theoneislam.com
saira2  
Freshman
Freshman
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote saira2 Replybullet Posted: 01 May 2008 at 12:11pm
Originally posted by jamilahz

Is an abaya even considered arab?  its a big ol dress... I mean why is that arab?  I like them to because I can wear my PJ's under there and no one knows. :)

Actually im not sure, if it comes from the middle east, i just assumed it did
ASSALAMU'ALAIKUM......YOU CANT GET RID OF ME THAT EASILY!
hamayoun  
Super Mureed
Super Mureed
The Humble Muslim
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote hamayoun Replybullet Posted: 01 May 2008 at 12:17pm
Salam

I personally don't see a problem with a shalwar kameez for modesty.

An abaya is really a kaftan; kaftan's are used all over the world, including Europe and Africa.
May Allah give me patience, Ameen.

My blog: http://regularbaba.blogspot.com/
hannah114  
Mureed
Mureed
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote hannah114 Replybullet Posted: 01 May 2008 at 12:55pm
in the 70's my mom used to wear...what are they called 'moo moos'? something like that. and basically they are long big dresses like abayas. and yes some people call them kaftans.....but they are just all the same idea, something quick to pull over that covers everything and is comfortable and modest
Brooklyn  
Sophmore Member
Sophmore Member
Religion: Other(Other)
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Brooklyn Replybullet Posted: 01 May 2008 at 3:33pm
Maybe I'm just ignorant and I take everyone from North Africa to Afghanistan and across the gulf to practice Arab culture.  There must be subtle differences that I have not picked up on.

If it weren't for the fact that I'm not Muslim I'm almost there already, I wear a beard, I don't eat pork, and I drink such little alcohol that giving it up entirely would be almost a non issue.  If only I can get over my inability to accept any religions "black and whites".  Each religion has them and those have always been the deal killer for me.
hamayoun  
Super Mureed
Super Mureed
The Humble Muslim
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote hamayoun Replybullet Posted: 01 May 2008 at 3:36pm
What do you mean by 'black and whites'?

Brooklyn  
Sophmore Member
Sophmore Member
Religion: Other(Other)
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Brooklyn Replybullet Posted: 01 May 2008 at 3:42pm
Originally posted by hamayoun

What do you mean by 'black and whites'?

In every religion there are certain things that you must believe to belong.  These things are typically unknowable or must even be believed in light of certain contradiction.  This is where my mind goes off the rails, it can't operate like that.

Not to get into anything long and drawn out but the Catholic Church, to belong I have to believe it has never erred in doctrine, yet I have read papal bulls that directly taught something that contradicts the teaching of a later council.  Therefore to believe that the CC has never erred on matters of teaching faith and morals is not possible for me.  It is possible to try and explain it away as I'm not understanding correctly but this did not work because it's in a clear English translation and not ambiguous at all.  And not meant to be ambiguous.

Islam same deal, you must believe that Muhammad was a prophet and the Qu'ran is from God, neither of which are verifiable at all, therefore the black and whites always get me.
hamayoun  
Super Mureed
Super Mureed
The Humble Muslim
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote hamayoun Replybullet Posted: 01 May 2008 at 3:50pm
I think you are putting the cart before the horse.  The things you mention - beards, pork, alcohol - are rules rather then beliefs.  Being a muslim is first and foremost about having the correct belief - belief in God, His Prophets, His Books, the angels, and the hereafter.  These are not so much 'black and white', they are more the absolute foundations of Islam.  EVERYTHING else in Islam comes after these foundations.

hannah114  
Mureed
Mureed
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote hannah114 Replybullet Posted: 01 May 2008 at 3:54pm
but getting back to your original question, no, one does not have to become arab when they revert to islam.  you can wear any form of modest clothing and it does not have to be a style from the arab countries. you can still eat your own cultural foods as long as you refrain from pork, alcohol etc and that it is 'halal'. you dont have to watch arab language television, in fact you don't have to watch television at all. you dont have to decorate your home in an 'arab' style. you dont have to move to an arab country.

you dont have to take an arabic name and you can keep your original name as long as its not offensive, in fact we are encouraged to keep our family name.

however, when it comes to prayers, arabic is the language we say it in and it is a great form of unity because whereever you go to pray in the world all muslims will pray in this language together.  

but, if you choose, following an arab cultural style is ok too, and if you are not forcing it on others .... it should'nt bother anyone
Guests
Guest Group
Guest Group

Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Guests Replybullet Posted: 02 May 2008 at 2:43am
It's wierd that in the early years of Islam being a Muslim and being an Arab were treated as if they were conflicting opposites, like it was one or the other. 

Have you read the Qur'an Brooklyn?
No Self-Vote Allowed.   IP IP Logged
<< Prev Page  of 5 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version