Hall of FameHall of Fame  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp  chatChat
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Learn about Islam
 Whyislam.org Forums : Learn About Islam : Learn about Islam
Message Icon Topic: Purifying The Soul Post Reply Post New Topic
<< Prev Page  of 33 Next >>
a well wisher  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Religion: Islam(Muslim)
Forum Rating: 0
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote a well wisher Replybullet Posted: 21 July 2013 at 5:04pm

Know that Almighty God is in control of the affairs of the creation and has promised good to the people of goodness. Therefore, do not allow the climate of hatred being fostered by some to cause you to despair. Your love and mercy are greater than their hatred.
Also, know that if you are an active agent of good you will see unexpected positive consequences result from your actions. God mentions in the Qur'an, “Good and evil are not equal. Respond to evil with what is best. Unexpectedly, you will see one between whom you and him was great enmity become like an intimate friend. This is only realized by those who patiently persevere; this is only realized by one possessing a lofty spiritual station (41:34-35).”
Have faith in God and His promise and never despair. Good is more powerful than evil; do all in your power to ensure that you are a force for good in the world. Patience is a great virtue; patiently persevere in doing all of the good things you are currently doing and God will bless you in many wonderful ways.
(Imam Zaid Shakir)
La ilaha ill-Allah, Muhammadur Rasulullah
No Guest-Voting   IP IP Logged
a well wisher  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote a well wisher Replybullet Posted: 25 July 2013 at 5:20pm

Lessons for Muslims Today From the Sirah

Muslims have passed through direr tribulations in the past than those that they pass through today. As always, our inspiration is from the Sahaba (Companions of the Prophet), who were able to look annihilation in the eye and still sleep well at night. They were confronted by violent tribes on all sides, the elites of Quraysh had sharpened their knives, ready to eliminate the fledgling religion, but Allah sent down his Sakinah (tranquility) upon their hearts so that the Prophet of Allah was seen to smile more than anyone. So we should learn not to count the odds, that Allah is ghalibun ala amri, He is in charge over the entire universe. He is the Author, the Beginning and End of all things. The Sahaba’s serenity in the face of these overwhelming odds was the result of the internalization of all this, the effect of tawhid upon their hearts.

We need to measure ourselves against that, and to remember that the alternative, which was also present at that time, was the way of the munafiqin (the hypocrites) who thought that ‘every shout or loud noise was against them’, which is what we would nowadays call the state of paranoia. The hypocrites were setting their store by outward calculations, looking at the numbers that were ranged against them, looking at material factors such as wealth, such as suits of armor, such as riding beasts, and that was why they felt doubts in their hearts. 

But the Companions knew that they had the One who is al-Ghani, who is independently rich, on their sides, and that is why they felt not afraid, and that is the maqam (station) of the awliya (Friends of God).

(Sh. Abdul-Hakim Murad)

a well wisher  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote a well wisher Replybullet Posted: 28 July 2013 at 10:28pm

Some people get upset that I don't talk 'politics' enough. I guess they think the 'fluffy' matters of the heart have nothing to do with political strength or worldly success. And yet each time the Prophet (pbuh) talked about our external condition, he brought it back to the condition of the heart. Our political problems are symptoms. Our social problems are symptoms. You can keep treating the symptoms, but until you cure the disease, you haven’t really solved your problem. When you look at a tree, you can describe the leaves. You can describe the branches, or you can describe the trunk. I choose to describe the roots.

During times of fitna, disunity, and fighting we need to:

1. Focus on what we agree upon and unite on that.

2. Ask Allah to purify our hearts because it is by the heart that we view and interact with the world.

3. Ask Allah to rectify our affairs and show us Truth as Truth and bless us with following it and Falsehood as Falsehood and bless us with refraining from it.

I Pray that this Ramadan will bring peace and unity to this ummah.Aameen

-Yasmin Mogahed-

a well wisher  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote a well wisher Replybullet Posted: 30 July 2013 at 5:00pm

Is It Really for Allah’s Sake?

It is related that Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) said: “The greatest fear I have for my community is a lesser form of polytheism… showing off.” [Musnad Ahmad, Sahīh Ibn Khuzaymah, and Sunsn al-Bayhaqī]

There is nothing wrong with a believer feeling happy on account of people’s praise. It is only showing off when a person intends to do a good deed for other than Allah’s sake, so that he or she would not do that deed if no one else was there to see it.

The motivation for showing off stems from either a desire for praise, an aversion for people’s low opinion, or a covetousness for what other people possess. If something of this nature comes into a person’s heart while the person is already engaged in an act of piety, then it does not nullify the blessings of that act.

Some people abstain from doing good deeds fearing that they will fall into the sin of showing off. This is a mistake that leads people to lose out on a lot of virtue and many blessings. As long as your original intention is for Allah, then you should go forward with the good deed you intend. Do not let fear of showing off keep you from doing something good.

Al-Fudayl b. `Iyād said: “Engaging in acts of worship for the people’s sake is polytheism. Abandoning acts of worship for the people’s sake is showing off. Sincerity is for Allah to spare you from both concerns.”

Al-Dhahabī said: “You can be an oppressor and believe that you are the one who is oppressed. You can be consuming unlawful wealth and fancy yourself to be abstentious. You can be a sinner and think you are righteous and just. You can be seeking religious knowledge for worldly benefit but see yourself as doing so for Allah’s sake.” [Siyar A`lām al-Nubalā’]

Abū Dāwūd, speaking about his Sunan, told Imam Ahmad: “This is something I have done for Allah’s sake.”

Ahmad said to him: “As for saying it is for Allah’s sake, that is a serious claim. Rather say: ‘This is something my heart has been made to incline towards, so I did it’.”

It is also related as something Ahmad admonished himself with. Indeed, identifying your inner motives is one of the subtest but most crucial ways of being honest.

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Forum Rating: 159
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 10 August 2013 at 11:57pm
Neither Wealth Nor Family Will Avail, Only A Sound Heart - Part 1

A useful talk by Sheikh Mokhtar Maghroui in Toronto last December:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIa-sxaOREg

(30 minutes)

Think Win-Win for a better world for all...

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

a well wisher  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote a well wisher Replybullet Posted: 14 August 2013 at 7:02pm

I read an interesting passage written by Charles Péguy (d. 1914). It is from his book, _Men and Saints_. I found this quote in Mark Van Doren’s essay, “Poets and Trimmers,” as he cites Péguy:

The modern world debases. Other worlds had other occupations. Other worlds had other ulterior motives, other ulterior intentions. Other worlds had other temporal pastimes. The modern world debases. Ot
her worlds idealized or materialized, built or demolished, meted out justice or exercised force; other worlds created cities, communities, men, or gods. But the modern world debases. This is its specialty. I would almost say that this is its calling if the beautiful word calling were not above all to be respected. When the modern world debases, let us admit that then it is at its own work.

The modern world debases. It debases the state; it debases man. It debases love; it debases woman. It debases the race; it debases the child. It debases the nation; it debases the family. It even debases … what is perhaps most difficult in the world to debase because this is something that has in itself, as in its texture, a particular kind of dignity, like a singular incapacity for degradation: it debases death.

"My favorite quote is from Charles Dickins -- "It was the best of times, it was the worst of times and also from Hellen Keller who said the world is filled with suffering but its' also filled with the overcoming of suffering. It's a time of great crisis but also of great opportunity."

The clouds of goodness contain rain; when the time comes, it will pour. Allah sends down rain to dead lands; He does it at the appropriate time. When the appropriate time for openings come, it will come. He does things in His time, not our time. This is part of being content with the Qadr and what happen has been apportioned for you.

- Shaykh Hamza Yusuf

a well wisher  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote a well wisher Replybullet Posted: 21 August 2013 at 6:11pm

Four Unbreakable Promises from Allah

1) ‘So remember Me; I will remember you.’ [Surat al-Baqarah: 152]

2) ‘If you are grateful, I will surely increase you [in favor]…’ [Surat Ibrahim: 7]

3) ‘Call upon Me; I will respond to you…’ [Surat Ghafir: 60]

4) ‘…and Allah would not punish them while they seek forgiveness.’ [Surat al-Anfal: 33]

Even though we break our promise with our Lord, always remember that He will never break His.

رَبَّنَا أَفْرِغْ عَلَيْنَا صَبْرًا وَتَوَفَّنَا مُسْلِمِينَ

If your patience is like that of Noah

in the sadness of the storm,

affliction will leave you and 

the hopes of a thousand years will be fulfilled.

~Hafez (ra)~
CINDY  
Religion: Other(Other)
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote CINDY Replybullet Posted: 27 November 2013 at 1:36pm
Originally posted by a well wisher

Some people get upset that I don't talk 'politics' enough. I guess they think the 'fluffy' matters of the heart have nothing to do with political strength or worldly success. And yet each time the Prophet (pbuh) talked about our external condition, he brought it back to the condition of the heart. Our political problems are symptoms. Our social problems are symptoms. You can keep treating the symptoms, but until you cure the disease, you haven’t really solved your problem. When you look at a tree, you can describe the leaves. You can describe the branches, or you can describe the trunk. I choose to describe the roots.

During times of fitna, disunity, and fighting we need to:

1. Focus on what we agree upon and unite on that.

2. Ask Allah to purify our hearts because it is by the heart that we view and interact with the world.

3. Ask Allah to rectify our affairs and show us Truth as Truth and bless us with following it and Falsehood as Falsehood and bless us with refraining from it.

I Pray that this Ramadan will bring peace and unity to this ummah.Aameen

-Yasmin Mogahed-

ameen
I AM PRAYING
Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Forum Rating: 159
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 28 November 2013 at 12:03am

Purify Your Soul by Perfecting Modesty

A talk this year at the ICNA Convention by Sheikh Omar Sulaiman on the importance of modesty (Hayaa) in purifying the soul

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SgqOZNx5dME

(22 minutes)

Think Win-Win for a better world for all...

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

a well wisher  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote a well wisher Replybullet Posted: 12 February 2014 at 4:17pm

Imam Shāfi was asked:
"Why do you carry a stick when you are neither old, nor ailing?"
He replied:
"To remind myself I am only a traveller in this world."

The seeker of love escapes the chains of birth and death.
 Tomorrow, when resurrection comes, the heart that is not in love will fail the test.

-Rumi (ra)

And if, my friend, you ask me the way,
I’ll tell you plainly, it is this:
to turn your face toward the world of life,
and turn your back on rank and reputation;
and, spurning outward prosperity, to bend
your back double in his service;
to part company with those who deal in words,
and take your place in the presence of the wordless.

~ Hakim Sanai ~
a well wisher  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote a well wisher Replybullet Posted: 13 February 2014 at 5:20pm

I am amazed by people who seem to habitually limit God’s mercy to whatever devotional capacity they might be able to muster. God is greater than you, too.

Imam Muhammad Abdal Latif Finch
a well wisher  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote a well wisher Replybullet Posted: 23 February 2014 at 4:32pm

"I do not fear for the man who thinks, even if he goes astray; that is because he will go back to truth.

I’d rather fear for the man who doesn’t think, even if he is guided, because he is just like the straw blown by the wind."

~Al-Ghazali (ra)~

Shaykh Abdal Hakim Murad at the 'Are Muslims empowered by knowledge?'

(30mins)

Edited by a well wisher - 23 February 2014 at 4:39pm
a well wisher  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote a well wisher Replybullet Posted: 19 March 2014 at 6:04pm

Foundations of the Spiritual Path

Click here to view the PDF

Author: Ahmad Zarruq

Now that all your worry has proved such an unlucrative business,
Why not find a better job.

Awake, my dear
be kind to your sleeping heart
take it out into the vast fields of Light
and let it breathe...

~ Hafiz~
a well wisher  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote a well wisher Replybullet Posted: 28 March 2014 at 7:19am

"Don't look down on people simply because they sin differently than you do."

- Usama Canon
<< Prev Page  of 33 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version