Hall of FameHall of Fame  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp  chatChat
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Questions and Discussions about Islam
 Whyislam.org Forums : WhyIslam : Questions and Discussions about Islam
Message Icon Topic: The Prophets Hair Post Reply Post New Topic
Page  of 3 Next >>
Quizling  
Sophmore Member
Sophmore Member
Religion: Islam(Sunni)
Forum Rating: 0
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Quizling Replybullet Topic: The Prophets Hair
    Posted: 22 May 2008 at 6:51pm

Salaam,

Recently I met some brothers who stated that at local religious gathering, they were given the opportuinity to kiss a lock of hair belonging to the prophet.  I am highly skeptical of this.  The fact that locks of his hair have survived for hundreds of years in suprising to me.

Do any of you know of whether this is true?  Do we still have locks of his hair?
No Guest-Voting   IP IP Logged
Shenango  
Mureed
Mureed
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Shenango Replybullet Posted: 23 May 2008 at 4:40am
Originally posted by Quizling

Recently I met some brothers who stated that at local religious gathering, they were given the opportuinity to kiss a lock of hair belonging to the prophet.  I am highly skeptical of this.  The fact that locks of his hair have survived for hundreds of years in suprising to me.

Do any of you know of whether this is true?  Do we still have locks of his hair?

Wa 'Aleikum As-Salam,

I know we have what are claimed to be locks of his hair. Whether they actually are, however, may be hard to determine. But this isn't for their age, as hair is one of the few types of human remains that can last that long, believe it or not. My high school social studies teacher once described to us how he saw hair from bodies interred in the Roman catacombs on a visit to Italy.

In general, Muslims have not shied away from preserving or attempting to preserve relics from the faith's leaders and sacred objects. These are now found at various museums the world over. A most notable one is Topkapi Palace in Istanbul, which housed the Ottoman sultans. When they took control of Medina they apparently carted off a lot of these kinds of relics to Istanbul, where they're still found today.

I suppose such relics could make road tours every now and then, but don't feel obligated to kiss any of them...lol.

Edited by Shenango - 23 May 2008 at 4:42am
"I mean, brothers and sisters, the appointed time has grown short; from now on, let even those who have wives be as though they had none"--Paul c. 55 CE
Muadh_Khan  
Sophmore Member
Sophmore Member
Religion: Islam(Muslim)
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Muadh_Khan Replybullet Posted: 23 May 2008 at 6:53am

Salaam,

Asslamo Allaikum,

Prophet's Hair are also found in TopKapi Museum in Istanbul and there is a Sanad (Chain like in a Hadeeth) about their Authenticity i.e. as to how they got handed down to Ottomans.

Prophet's Kurta (Shirt) is in Darul-uloom Deoband (India) and again there is a Sanad (Chain like in a Hadeeth) about their Authenticity i.e. as to how they got handed down and ended up in India.

As far as the rest of supposed Artefacts are concerned, Allah (SWT) knows best.

On the question of decomposition even when a person is buried and exposed to the Natural decomposition process it is known that Bones & Hair are the last to fragment and decompose...So Hair kept safe (& Preseved) could possibly survive.

Also don't forget that in Forensics hair are used both for DNA extraction and for Carbon-dating (again pointing to the fact that they survive even after the some parts of the body decompose).

maghi85  
Undergraduate
Undergraduate
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote maghi85 Replybullet Posted: 23 May 2008 at 8:22am
Asalaamualaikum,
The prophets hair are present to this day with many Muslim families who have received it from their forefathers down the generations. One of the miracles of the prophets hair is that they're still growing.
Allah knows best if that claim is true or not...
try looking for them in families of the sahaabas where they're generally strong in their tradition
Sagefrakrobatik  
Religion: Unknown(Unknown)
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Sagefrakrobatik Replybullet Posted: 23 May 2008 at 11:26am
From what i remember reading, please correct me if im wrong, the prophet gave his hair to people so that they had something to remember him by. I remember doing a report on Kashmir and one incident in paticular that provoked Muslim anger towards Hindus is when a piece of hair from the Prophet was stolen at a local museum. If i ever find my paper I'll be sure to post it.

Edited by Sagefrakrobatik - 23 May 2008 at 11:27am
Why eat vegetarians when you could eat meat eaters. They have more protein.
Quizling  
Sophmore Member
Sophmore Member
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Quizling Replybullet Posted: 23 May 2008 at 11:47am
Thanks for all the info.  It still seems a bit weird but god knows best.
Emad  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Emad Replybullet Posted: 23 May 2008 at 12:10pm
It may seem a bit wierd to kiss the Prophet's hair, but look at how sports/movie "stars" are treated today, people will spend millions of dollars to buy a shirt Michael Jordan wore, or his shoe.  People will fight and put their life at risk to touch one of these people, or spend an hour with them.  This is because of their admiration and love for them, as Muslims we are to have this love x 100 for the Prophet peace be upon him.   
Verily, either we or you are rightly guided or in plain error. (Quran Saba:24)

Emad@whyislam.org
Nura  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Nura Replybullet Posted: 23 May 2008 at 12:19pm
If it is done just our of love, then I agree with Emad. But I fear there is a great danger somebody may think the Prophet's hair "bring luck" or have some magical power...
Spare me the political events and power struggles, as the whole earth is my homeland and all men are my fellow countrymen. K.Gibran
Quizling  
Sophmore Member
Sophmore Member
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Quizling Replybullet Posted: 23 May 2008 at 2:05pm
I am thinking along the lines of Nura.  People today easily confuse religious obligations or devotion with superstition. 

Emad, isn't is a bit wierd to be kissing the hair of someone who isn't lving anymore?  I know we are supposed to love the prophet but kissing the hair seems to be going slightly to the extreme.  OR am I wrong in this way of thinking?
Emad  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Emad Replybullet Posted: 23 May 2008 at 3:52pm

I am thinking along the lines of Nura.  People today easily confuse religious obligations or devotion with superstition. 

Emad, isn't is a bit wierd to be kissing the hair of someone who isn't lving anymore?  I know we are supposed to love the prophet but kissing the hair seems to be going slightly to the extreme.  OR am I wrong in this way of thinking?

I think it could be looked at in both ways.  When he would make wudu, the companions narrate that no drop of water would hit the ground because the companions were trying to get the water that he touches.  I even heard a narration that a companion purposely dropping his ring in the Prophet's grave during the burial so he can go in and get it and be the last to touch him.  The Prophet peace be upon him is a blessed person, and perhaps if that is truly his hair, it does have blessing.  I personally would not kiss it unless I was certain it was his.  Allah knows best, I think Ibn al Qayyim talks about this in his book Zad al Ma'd (Provisions of the hereafter).

Emad
Verily, either we or you are rightly guided or in plain error. (Quran Saba:24)

Emad@whyislam.org
maghi85  
Undergraduate
Undergraduate
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote maghi85 Replybullet Posted: 24 May 2008 at 4:46am
wasn't it Imam Ahmed ibn Hanbal who in his will mentioned that he wanted to be interred with the hair of the prophet attached to him?
some of the sahaabas were interred with the remnants of the Prophet pbuh that they possessed...
what kind of love was that???

Sahih Muslim Book 001, Number 0067:

It is reported on the authority of Anas that the Prophet of Allah (may peace and blessings be upon him ) said: There are three qualities for which anyone who is characterised by them will relish the sweetness of faith: he to whom Allah and His Messenger are dearer than all else; he who loves a man for Allah's sake alone; and he who has as great an abhorrence of returning to unbelief after Allah has rescued him from it as he has of being cast into Hell.

all else......
have people read the seerah of the companions after the demise of the Prophet pbuh? what was their state?
Nura  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Nura Replybullet Posted: 24 May 2008 at 7:55am
But IMO loving the Prophet more than all else means following his sunna and try to live exactly like he lived, not kissing his hair.
Spare me the political events and power struggles, as the whole earth is my homeland and all men are my fellow countrymen. K.Gibran
maghi85  
Undergraduate
Undergraduate
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote maghi85 Replybullet Posted: 24 May 2008 at 8:50am
Originally posted by Nura

But IMO loving the Prophet more than all else means following his sunna and try to live exactly like he lived, not kissing his hair.

it's the other way round dear...
you don't kiss the prophets hair to love him... out of love for him you kiss his hair...
also following his sunna and trying to live exactly like him doesn't mean you love him either...
if someone here has ever fallen in love with somebody he/she'd know what love is like...
it's a pull, a craze; you don't want to think about anyone other than you're beloved.
MedGirl
Mureed
Mureed
Religion: Unknown(Unknown)
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote MedGirl Replybullet Posted: 24 May 2008 at 5:53pm
Originally posted by Nura

Yes I agree, and kissing locks of hair reminds me of how certain catholics have relics of their saints.
Page  of 3 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version