Hall of FameHall of Fame  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp  chatChat
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Learn about Islam
 Whyislam.org Forums : Learn About Islam : Learn about Islam
Message Icon Topic: Islamic Book Reviews Post Reply Post New Topic
<< Prev Page  of 5 Next >>
Hikmat
Freshman
Freshman
Religion: Islam(Shia)
Forum Rating: 0
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Hikmat Replybullet Posted: 05 July 2008 at 11:00pm
<<<The Conference of the Birds
is a book of poems I just got done with. Anyone interested in Islam, literary ..>>>>

I've read that the theme taken up in the conference of the birds was similar to that of a recital of the Philosopher Ibn Sina .   Have you ever read any of Henry Corbins books?   His book " The Voyage and the Messenger: Iran and Philosophy" talks about the relation of the writings of Ibn Sina, Attar, and Suhrawardi (the Ishraqi Philosopher) regarding the spiritual voyage.  It's an awesome book!

His book " The Man of Light in Iranian Sufism" is even better however.

<<Reading it reminded me of Jung's VII Sermones ad Mortuos>>

The Gnostic Jung and the 7 Sermons to the Dead was an interesting book.  Jung actually said later in his life about the Sermons that : "All my work, all my creative activity, has come from those initial fantasies ... everything that I accomplished in later life was already contained in them ..."

Edited by Hikmat - 05 July 2008 at 11:13pm
"IF words come out of the heart, they will enter the heart, but if they come from the tongue, they will not pass beyond the ears."
Al-Suhrawardi
No Guest-Voting   IP IP Logged
keithnurse  
Religion: Other(Other)
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote keithnurse Replybullet Posted: 20 July 2008 at 6:37pm

I have been reading "American Islam, the Struggle For The Soul Of A Religion" by Paul Barrett.   Each chapter is about one of seven Muslims in the U.S. who represent part of the spectrum of Muslim opinion.  The seven are Osama Siblani, Khaled Abou El Fadl, Siraj Wahhaj (Imam of Masjid At-Taqwa, Brooklyn, NY), Asra Namani, Abdul Kabir Krambo, Sami Omar al-Hussayen, and Mustafa Saied.  It is a very interesting well written balanced book. 

Unitarian Universalist
www.uua.org
Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Religion: Islam(Muslim)
Forum Rating: 159
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 22 July 2008 at 1:04am
The Problem with Interest, Tarek Al-Diwany

The Problem With Interest is now in its second edition. Since the publication of the first edition in 1997, the book has been revised with new information and ideas, and continues to provide a practical commentary on the extent to which usury is now affecting humanity.

Technically detailed but highly readable, it provides a genuine alternative to the conventional understanding of financial economics that appears in much of the media and mainstream academia

- Chapter 1 Interest and the Physical System

- Chapter 2 The Production of Money

- Chapter 3 The Currency Game

- Chapter 4 Wealth Creation and Wealth Transfer

- Chapter 5 Value Judgements

- Chapter 6 Trade or Interest?

- Chapter 7 Banking and Money under Islam

Think Win-Win for a better world for all...

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

maghi85  
Undergraduate
Undergraduate
Religion: Islam(Sunni)
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote maghi85 Replybullet Posted: 31 July 2008 at 11:42am

The Book of Assistance

Imam Abdallah Ibn-Alawi Al-Haddad

Risalatu'l Mu'awanah

Translated by: Dr. Mostafa Badawi

Fons Vitae Books  152 pp. PB

Fons Vitae Imam Abdallah Ibn Alawi al-Haddad Spiritual Masters Series

There are many books in English which present Sufi doctrine, but few which can be used as practical travel guides along the Path. Originally written in Classical Arabic, the aptly-named Book of Assistance is today in widespread use among Sufi teachers in Arabia, Indonesia and East Africa. Presented here in the readable translation of Dr. Badawi, this manual of devotions, prayers and practical ethics will be invaluable to all who love the Prophet and the Sufi way.

The author Imam Abdallah Ibn-Alawi Al-Haddad (d. 1720), lived at Tarim in the Hadramaut valley between Yemen and Oman, and is widely held to have been the ‘renewer’ of the twelfth Islamic century. A direct descendant of the Prophet, his sanctity and direct experience of God are clearly reflected in his writings, which include several books, a collection of Sufi letters, and a volume of mystical poetry. He spent most of his life in Kenya and Saudi Arabia where he taught Islamic jurisprudence and classical Sufism according to the order (tariqa) of the Ba'Alawi sayids.

"True religion invites us to become better people. False religion tells us that this has already occurred" - T.J. Winters
Old is Gold
Naadir Muhammed  
Undergraduate
Undergraduate
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Naadir Muhammed Replybullet Posted: 02 August 2008 at 10:13pm
Muhammad: Critical Lives Series

The book below by Yahya Emerick is a wonderful book that speaks of the Prophet Muhammad's (saws) life in detail. The diction is very simplified; hence being very comprehensive for younger teenage readers as well.

http://store.talkislam.com/b8031.html 

Ar Raheeq Al Makhtum

By Safi-ur-Rahman al-Mubarakpuri

http://store.talkislam.com/b9221.html

This is also a great book. It begins with the history of Arabia and speaks of numerous things prior to Muhammad (saas). It is a must-read and a very extensive biography.

Edited by Naadir Muhammed - 02 August 2008 at 10:14pm
There is only one death, so let it be in the path of Allah"

Shaykh 'Abdullah 'Azzam (RH)
maghi85  
Undergraduate
Undergraduate
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote maghi85 Replybullet Posted: 15 August 2008 at 5:49am

And Muhammad Is His Messenger: The Veneration of the Prophet in Islamic Piety (Studies in Religion) (Paperback)

by Annemarie Schimmel (Author) "Muhammad's life is known to us from different sources..." (more)

var reviewHistPing = function() { reviewHistDU.requestUpdate('', '', '', null, null, null, false); }; n2RunThisWhen( 'lastlibraryloaded', function() { reviewHistDU = new N2DynUpObject('reviewHistDU'); reviewHistDU.setHandler('/gp/customer-reviews/common/du/recordHistoPop', 'sd'); reviewHistDU.setTargetElementID('ignoreReviewHistoDiv'); reviewHistDU.cacheResponses(false); return false; }, 'init everything else' ); n2RunThisWhen('lastlibraryloaded', function() { // instantiate a popover object reviewHistoPopObj_0807841285 = new N2SimplePopover(); reviewHistoPopObj_0807841285.initialize( 'reviewHistoPop_0807841285', 'reviewHistoPopObj_0807841285' ); // register popup feature with the events framework goN2Events.registerFeature( 'reviewHistoPop_0807841285', 'reviewHistoPopObj_0807841285', 'n2MouseOverHotspot', 'n2MouseOutHotspot' ); reviewHistoPopObj_0807841285.locateAt('below', 'r', 0); reviewHistoPopObj_0807841285.configureAnimation(null, null, null, null); reviewHistoPopObj_0807841285.setCallback('afterShow', reviewHistPing); }, 'review histo rollover' );   (5 customer reviews)

List Price: $27.50
Price: $27.50 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping. Details

Editorial Reviews

Product Description
The important role of the Prophet Muhammad in the everyday lives of Muslims is usually overlooked by Western scholars and has consequently never been understood by the Western world. Using original sources in the various Islamic languages, Annemarie Schimmel explains the central place of Muhammad in Muslim life, mystical thought, and poetry. She sees the veneration of Muhammad as having many parallels in other major religions.

In order to understand Muslim piety it is necessary to take into account the long history of the veneration of Muhammad. Schimmel discusses aspects of his life, birth, marriage, miracles, and heavenly journey, all of which became subjects for religious devotions. By using poetic texts and artistic expressions and by examining daily Muslim religious practices, Schimmel shows us the gentler side of Islamic religious culture, providing a much-needed understanding of religion as it is experienced and practiced in the Islamic world.

This is the first book in English to deal with all aspects of the veneration of the Prophet Muhammad. It is an expanded version of Schimmel's Und Muhammad Ist Sein Prophet, originally published in German in 1981.

Language Notes
Text: English (translation)
Original Language: German --This text refers to an out of print or unavailable edition of this title.

Product Details

• Paperback: 389 pages
  • Publisher: The University of North Carolina Press (November 30, 1985)
  • Language: English
  • ISBN-10: 0807841285
  • ISBN-13: 978-0807841280
  • Product Dimensions: 8.9 x 5.9 x 1.1 inches
  • Shipping Weight: 1.4 pounds (View shipping rates and policies)
  • Average Customer Review: var reviewHistPing = function() { reviewHistDU.requestUpdate('', '', '', null, null, null, false); }; n2RunThisWhen( 'lastlibraryloaded', function() { reviewHistDU = new N2DynUpObject('reviewHistDU'); reviewHistDU.setHandler('/gp/customer-reviews/common/du/recordHistoPop', 'sd'); reviewHistDU.setTargetElementID('ignoreReviewHistoDiv'); reviewHistDU.cacheResponses(false); return false; }, 'init everything else' ); n2RunThisWhen('lastlibraryloaded', function() { // instantiate a popover object reviewHistoPopObj_0807841285 = new N2SimplePopover(); reviewHistoPopObj_0807841285.initialize( 'reviewHistoPop_0807841285', 'reviewHistoPopObj_0807841285' ); // register popup feature with the events framework goN2Events.registerFeature( 'reviewHistoPop_0807841285', 'reviewHistoPopObj_0807841285', 'n2MouseOverHotspot', 'n2MouseOutHotspot' ); reviewHistoPopObj_0807841285.locateAt('below', 'r', 0); reviewHistoPopObj_0807841285.configureAnimation(null, null, null, null); reviewHistoPopObj_0807841285.setCallback('afterShow', reviewHistPing); }, 'review histo rollover' );   (5 customer reviews)

"True religion invites us to become better people. False religion tells us that this has already occurred" - T.J. Winters
Old is Gold
Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Forum Rating: 159
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 25 August 2008 at 4:56pm
I just completed reading Dr. Tariq Ramadan's book on the life of Prophet Muhammad, peace be upon him

It's an excellent, highly recommended book to read, and the title is (The Messenger: The Meanings of the Life of Muhammad)

Dr. Ramadan gives a comprehensive summary of the main events in the life of the prophet, peace be upon him, while focusing on the gentle character of the prophet and his dealing with Muslims and non-Muslims in the most beautiful way

Reading the book was a great experience and once started the book, I could not let go (good job I started it on holiday)

Here is a formal review, which may be of interest:

Here is a fresh and perceptive look at Muhammad, capturing a life that was often eventful, gripping, and highly charged. Ramadan provides both an intimate portrait of a man who was shy, kind, but determined, as well as a dramatic chronicle of a leader who launched a great religion and inspired a vast empire. More important, Ramadan presents the main events of the Prophet’s life in a way that highlights his spiritual and ethical teachings. The book underscores the significance of the Prophet’s example for some of today’s most controversial issues, such as the treatment of the poor, the role of women, Islamic criminal punishments, war, racism, and relations with other religions. Selecting those facts and stories from which we can draw a profound and vivid spiritual picture, the author asks how the Prophet’s life can remain—or become again—an example, a model, and an inspiration. And how can Muslims move from formalism—a fixation on ritual—toward a committed spiritual and social presence?

In this thoughtful and engaging biography, Ramadan offers Muslims a new understanding of Muhammad’s life and he introduces non-Muslims not just to the story of the Prophet, but to the spiritual and ethical riches of Islam.

Released in February 2007 but already sold at the Toronto Islamic Convention.

A STARRED REVIEW in Publishers Weekly Review (USA)

In the Footsteps of the Prophet: Lessons from the Life of Muhammad
Tariq Ramadan. Oxford, $23 (208p) ISBN 978-0-19-530880-8

London-based Ramadan, the Oxford research fellow who authored Western Muslims and the Future of Islam, is probably best known for being denied entry into the United States, based on alleged violations of the Patriot Act.

This excellent, engaging book ought to turn public attention back toward Ramadan as a writer and a skilled interpreter of Islamic history. In deliberately brief chapters, Ramadan brings Muhammad to life. He highlights Muhammad’s resolute faith in spite of setbacks like poverty and being orphaned, and upholds the prophet as a spiritual hero-bravely compassionate and unusually tolerant of others, including non-Muslims.

Ramadan notes his extraordinary kindness, even to those he battled. For example, a slave who had been given to Muhammad turned down emancipation, saying he preferred service to Muhammad over freedom with anyone else. (Muhammad immediately freed the slave and adopted him as his own son.) Similar tales of mercy lace through Muhammad’s life: In the midst of a battle march, Muhammad advised his troops to be careful not to hurt a litter of puppies on the roadside; on another occasion, Muhammad released prisoners of war because they had taught community children how to read and write.

Ramadan ably demonstrates why Muhammad is a spiritual paragon to the followers of Islam

Think Win-Win for a better world for all...

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Faris al-Farik  
Sophmore Member
Sophmore Member
Religion: Unknown(Unknown)
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Faris al-Farik Replybullet Posted: 25 August 2008 at 6:29pm
Originally posted by maghi85

Saudi Aramco World
http://www.saudiaramcoworld.com/issue/200803/

great magazine for understanding Islamic culture and Islamic world.
free subscription for residence in America... i would subscribe today
but anyways you can read all the publishes online

Yeah I agree....but some of it is propaganda as well!
jamilahz  
Graduate
Graduate
in exile
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote jamilahz Replybullet Posted: 25 August 2008 at 6:34pm
what is propaganda about it?
www.hudastore.com

www.theoneislam.com
Faris al-Farik  
Sophmore Member
Sophmore Member
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Faris al-Farik Replybullet Posted: 25 August 2008 at 6:41pm
Originally posted by Al-Cordoby

I just completed reading Dr. Tariq Ramadan's book on the life of Prophet Muhammad, peace be upon him

Brother Al:

Thanks for mentioning it. I first heard of Tariq Ramadan when I was studying Islam as a non-Muslim. Tariq R is also the grandson of Hasan al-Banna, the founder of the Muslim Brotherhood.

His book on our Beloved Prophet (s.a.w.s) is extraordinary: one learns many things about him that are not greatly emphasized in other sources. The gender equality within Islam, as propounded by our Prophet (s.a.w.s) is an extraordinary and a radical idea within the context of his time.

I like Tariq Ramadan's "voice" -- it got him banned in Egypt (for criticizing the government there) and in Saudi Arabia (the treatment of women there is definitely un-Islamic) and finally here in the United States as well (the ludicrous charge that he may be tied to terrorism). In my mind, this lends to his authenticity and true power! He could be rightly called the Martin Luther King of the Muslim world.

Here is a link to a great podcast on Public Radio which interviews Tariq Ramadan, http://www.wpr.org/book/eastmeetswest/index.html  Please listen to the whole program on "Encountering Islam."

Enjoy!

Faris

Faris al-Farik  
Sophmore Member
Sophmore Member
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Faris al-Farik Replybullet Posted: 25 August 2008 at 6:45pm
Originally posted by jamilahz

what is propaganda about it?

Too lengthy to get into here, but some of it has the look and feel of a high-pitched sales/tourist brochure offer glossing over life over in the Kingdom.  But that is to be expected considering the scope of the magazine itself. Consider "National Geographic: Traveler" magazine as a counterpoint to it.
jamilahz  
Graduate
Graduate
in exile
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote jamilahz Replybullet Posted: 25 August 2008 at 6:46pm
I know a lot of people that live and work there and have no problem with it.  Just because it says Saudi does not mean its automatically evil Faris.
www.hudastore.com

www.theoneislam.com
Faris al-Farik  
Sophmore Member
Sophmore Member
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Faris al-Farik Replybullet Posted: 25 August 2008 at 9:41pm
Originally posted by keithnurse

I have been reading "American Islam, the Struggle For The Soul Of A Religion" by Paul Barrett.   Each chapter is about one of seven Muslims in the U.S. who represent part of the spectrum of Muslim opinion.  The seven are Osama Siblani, Khaled Abou El Fadl, Siraj Wahhaj (Imam of Masjid At-Taqwa, Brooklyn, NY), Asra Namani, Abdul Kabir Krambo, Sami Omar al-Hussayen, and Mustafa Saied.  It is a very interesting well written balanced book. 

Yes, agreed! One of the first's I picked up in the library before reversion. You better watch out -- you may find yourself a Muslim before long! <smile>

I really like Professor Abou El Fadl. He graciously responded to all my snail-mail letters.
Faris al-Farik  
Sophmore Member
Sophmore Member
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Faris al-Farik Replybullet Posted: 25 August 2008 at 9:46pm
Originally posted by jamilahz

I know a lot of people that live and work there and have no problem with it.  Just because it says Saudi does not mean its automatically evil Faris.

Hardly!

Please be careful with how you 'twist' my words. Go back and read carefully what I have written. Nowhere did I mention anything that remotely hints at evil.  Or, are you a psychic, who can determine my motives?

I have traveled extensively in the Kingdom, and have many good friends there; some of my relatives live and work there.

<< Prev Page  of 5 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version