Hall of FameHall of Fame  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp  chatChat
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Learn about Islam
 Whyislam.org Forums : Learn About Islam : Learn about Islam
Message Icon Topic: Islamic Teachings - Dr. Jamal Badawi (Canada) Post Reply Post New Topic
<< Prev Page  of 13 Next >>
Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Religion: Islam(Muslim)
Forum Rating: 159
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 25 April 2009 at 1:01pm

Islamic Teachings Course, by Dr. Jamal Badawi

Volume 3: Social System of Islam

Content

Introduction
G-l Human Brotherhood and Equality I
G-2 Human Brotherhood and Equality II
G-3 Human Brotherhood and Equality III
G-4 Brotherhood of Faith
G-5 Social Relationships and Choice of Friends
G-6 Social Responsibility I
G-7 Social Responsibility II
G-8 Emancipation of Slaves I
G-9 Emancipation of Slaves II
G-10 The Place of Family in Islam: Introduction
G-11 Position of Women in Ancient Civilization
G-12 Women in Judaea-Christian and Muslim Scriptures
G-13 Women in Judaea-Christian and Muslim Scriptures II
G-14 Position of Women in Islam - Spiritual Aspect
G-15 Position of Women in Islam - Economic Aspect
G-16 Position of Women in Islam - Social Aspect
G-17 Position of Women in Islam - Political Aspect I
G-18 Position of Women in Islam - Political Aspect II
G-19 Muslim Women in History I
G-20 Muslim Women in History II
G-21 Muslim Women in History III
G-22 Muslim Women in Recent History
G-23 Muslim Women in Contemporary Society
G-24 Islam's View of Sex
G-25 Selection of Spouse and Engagement
G-26 Engagement (continued)
G-27 Marriage Laws in Islam I (Forbidden Categories)
G-28 Marriage Laws in Islam II (Validity of Marriage)
G-29 Marriage Laws in Islam III (Marriage Contract)
G-30 Marriage Laws in Islam IV (Marriage Contract)
G-31 Polygamy in Islamic Law I (Historical Perspectives)
G-32 Polygamy in Islamic Law II (Historical Perspectives)
G-33 Polygamy in Islamic Law III (Why is it allowed?)
G-34 Polygamy in Islamic Law IV (Woman's options)
G-35 Polygamy in Islamic Law V (Prohibition or Legalization)
G-36 Marital Relations I (Wife's Rights)
G-37 Marital Relations II (Wife's Rights)
G-38 Marital Relations III (Related Issues)
G-39 Marital Relations IV (Husband's Rights)
G-40 Marital Relations V (Husband's Rights)
G-41 Marital Relations & Children's Rights
G-42 Rights of Parents
G-43 Rights of Relatives
G-44 Marital Problems
G-45 Dissolution of Marriage I
G-46 Dissolution of Marriage II

http://witness-pioneer.org/vil/Books/JB/IslamicTeachingCourse-3.html

Think Win-Win for a better world for all...

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

No Guest-Voting   IP IP Logged
Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 27 April 2009 at 1:06pm

Women: The Spiritual Aspect

The Qur’an provides clear-cut evidence that woman is completely equated with man in the sight of God in terms of her rights and responsibilities. The Qur’an states what means:

[...So their Lord accepted their prayers, (saying): I will not suffer to be lost the work of any of you whether male or female. You proceed one from another...] (Aal `Imran 3:195).

[Whoever does good whether male or female and he is a believer, We will most certainly make him live a happy life, and We will most certainly give them their reward for the best of what they did.] (An-Nahl 16:97).

Woman according to the Qur’an is not blamed for Adam’s first mistake. Both were jointly wrong in their disobedience to God, both repented, and both were forgiven. In one verse in fact, Adam specifically, was blamed. [Then they both ate of it, so their evil inclinations became manifest to them, and they both began to cover themselves with leaves of the garden, and Adam disobeyed his Lord, so his life became evil (to him).] (Ta-Ha 20:121)

http://www.islamonline.net/english/introducingislam/Individual/article05.shtml

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 17 May 2009 at 9:11pm

Main Ethical Questions

One of the definitions of the word “ethics” is the study and evaluation of human conduct. It is regarded as normative because it relates to certain basic ideals. Ethics can also be described as a field of study that focuses on the knowledge of good and evil, and the basis on which aspects of behavior should be evaluated.

Ethics and Life

Since the start of creation man has never ceased to contemplate the moral question of good and evil.

Nowadays technological advancement is peoples’ main concern, but progress in the field of ethics and morals is rarely considered. The relevance of morals to our daily life is so great that a lot of our present social, economic, and political problems are the result of our ethical problem.

This ethical problem leads to the breaking down of the family institution, subjecting it to problems such as, cohabitation (couples living together without legal or religious sanctions) and generation gaps.

In the name of “modernism,” some people have excluded morals from their dealings. They claim that honesty is meaningless unless there is benefit derived from it. Others stopped worshiping God in the name of “liberation,” and instead they worship false gods like worshipping wealth, power or expediency.

This disregard of the ethical problem led to many wars which caused a great deal of human suffering. The philosopher Jeffery Burton Russell commented on this problem, pointing out that it is unfair to say that man has descended to the level of beasts, as beasts only kill for food while people kill each other brutally and senselessly, which gives a clear indication of our dire need for ethics and morals in life. ...

The Ultimate Good

Books of philosophy have concentrated on four main ethical questions. The first, what is the supreme good that a person really aspires to? One answer considers happiness the ultimate good that a person aspires to. Anything that makes a person happy is good and anything that causes disappointment is evil.

Another answer is that the attainment of perfection is the ultimate good. This means that a person should do his best to achieve perfection, and anything that helps achieve it is good and anything preventing its achievement is evil.

Philosopher Emmanuel Kant’s answer to this question is that the feeling of duty makes a person moral, which is considered the ultimate good. ...

http://www.readingislam.com/servlet/Satellite?c=Article_C&cid=1154526129635&pagename=Zone-English-Discover_Islam%2FDIELayout

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 25 May 2009 at 10:28pm

Human Brotherhood and Equality

G-2 Human Brotherhood and Equality II Questions:

1. How does the Qur'an relate the story of Adam and Eve and what are the implications for human equality and brotherhood of the way in which the Qur'an relates the story?

2. Are there any specific references in the Quran which enshrine the principles of human equality and brotherhood?

3. Within this basic framework of equality, is there any basis for distinguishing between human beings?

http://www.ashabilyemin.com/human-brotherhood-and-equality-by-jamal-a-badawi-t131848.html?s=65ef0331df87663e21bf3b11fac6f19b&amp;

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 09 June 2009 at 1:18pm

Prerequisites for a Constructive Interfaith Dialogue

Reading through the whole live dialogue, one can put one's hand on four essential, though scattered, prerequisites for the establishment of a positive and constructive interfaith dialogue. These prerequisites are as follows:

1. Presentation of one's beliefs to others must be done in a courteous manner.
  2. Neither side should exploit people's ignorance or vulnerability (such as their critical need for food or medication) to twist their arm or put pressure on them so that they accept something against their free will.
  3. In any society, Muslim or otherwise, keeping public peace is critical. So, any form of freedom must be used with discretion, with the aim of avoiding social turmoil in the name of that freedom. Thereupon, no provocative methods or actions should be used by either side.
  4. Preaching one's faith should not be done in secret. The Christian delegates of Najran presented their beliefs openly in the mosque of the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him).

http://www.islamonline.net/servlet/Satellite?c=Article_C&cid=1243825151713&pagename=Zone-English-Living_Shariah%2FLSELayout

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 25 June 2009 at 10:00pm

Commonly Misunderstood Qur'anic Texts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1HXGRYaUy6g

(Part 2/7: 9 minutes)

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 11 July 2009 at 8:55am

Islam: The Misunderstood Religion

This presentation by Dr. Badawi is a few years old, but an excellent talk which deals with a number of misunderstood topics in the West by non-Muslims, and also by some Muslims

He deals in this speech with the five main topics:

1- Some theological questions

2- The question of Jihad

3- The issue of human rights

4- The nature of criminal punishments in Islam

5- The issue of women in Islam

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6wWADYScy4&feature=related

(Part 1: 9 minutes)

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 14 July 2009 at 5:23am

Islamophobia: Misquoting the Qur'an

Dr. Badawi warns of (the cut and paste) approach in reading The Qur'an, and warns of the out-of-context quotes which some people try to do to attack Islam

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sw39sd5oQP0&feature=channel_page

(2 minutes)

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 19 July 2009 at 5:25am

Human Dignity and Courage

A talk by Dr. Badawi on human dignity in Islam

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-Zchss6EZM

(Part 1/5: 10 minutes)

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 20 July 2009 at 9:23pm

Islam's Contribution to Civilization

A talk by Dr. Badawi which sheds some light on the Muslim contribution to civilization

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FkZLLbliewc&feature=related

(10 minutes)

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 03 August 2009 at 1:08pm

Muslim Contribution to Civilization

Conceptual Foundations and Historical Manifestations

Introduction

In his book, The Making of Humanity, Rob Briffault states:

It is highly probable that but for the Arabs, modern European civilization would never have risen at all. There is no single aspect of European growth in which decisive influence of Islamic culture is not traceable. What we call science arose in Europe as a result of a new spirit of enquiry, new methods of investigation, methods of experimentation, observation, measurement, and the development of Mathematics in a form unknown to the Greeks. That spirit and those methods were introduced into the European world by the Arabs. (qtd. in Waheed 25-26)

Like many other authors, Briffault recognizes the immense contribution of Muslims to civilization and its influence on the European Renaissance. Unlike most other authors, however, Briffault realizes that this contribution was stimulated, motivated and guided by a “new spirit.” Insufficient attention; however, has been given to the source and roots of this “new spirit” that emerged suddenly and powerfully in the seventh century. Initially the Arabs were not known for having made any significant contribution to science and technology, nor was the sandy, mostly arid Arabia known as a center of learning and research.

What then could explain the extraordinary transformation of a people from that state into pioneers of progress and apostles of learning in diverse fields of knowledge? .........

http://www.islamonline.net/servlet/Satellite?c=Article_C&cid=1201957650529&pagename=Zone-English-Living_Shariah%2FLSELayout

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 05 August 2009 at 12:15pm

Live Dialogue with Dr. Jamal Badawi on Muslim Minorities

4 August 2009

Q: Last year Ramadan I was pregnant I tried to fast but I could not, I gave but now nursing a Baby I tried to fast but encountering difficulties, I still have some days left but I am not sure of making them before this years Ramadan. Please will advise me on this? I need you guide in Islamic way. Thank you

A: While encouraged, it is not necessary to make up for missed Ramadam before the next one. Nursing your baby is of paramount importance even if it last for two years. Fasting while nursing affect the health of your baby. May Allah bless you, your baby and all your loved ones.

http://www.islamonline.net/livefatwa/english/Browse.asp?hGuestID=n7arow 

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 09 August 2009 at 1:14pm

Abraham & Muhammad: The Divine Promise

Prophet Abraham (peace be upon him) reached the age of 85 and was childless. He couldn't get his hopes up as his wife, Sarah, was in her mid-70s and barren. As Prophet Abraham was accepting his destiny of not becoming a father, God had another plan for him. In Genesis, God promised Abraham to multiply his seed.

But how could this Divine promise be fulfilled given the facts mentioned above? What does the name "Ishmael" mean? How is the Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) the descendant of Prophet Abraham?

To get an answer for these questions and more, listen to Dr. Jamal Badawi's 5-minute audio.

http://www.readingislam.com/servlet/Satellite?c=Article_C&cid=1248187668361&pagename=Zone-English-Discover_Islam/DIELayout&ref=body

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 13 August 2009 at 1:06pm

Inviting People of Other Faith Communities to Islam

The Prophet's Dawah Methodology

Muslims believe that inviting people to the straight path of Allah is in fact an invitation to truth, goodness, virtue, and felicity in this life and the Hereafter. This explains why such an invitation (dawah in Arabic) is considered a duty on every Muslim to the extent of his or her knowledge and ability. .........

This paper is an attempt to discern some elements of that role model for dawah. It is no more than scratching the surface of such a rich model, in the hope that it may shed light on such an important and timely topic.

The paper begins by clarifying its methodology which is then to be applied in addressing some of the major elements of the Prophet's model of dawah. .......

Elements of the Prophet's Methodology in Dawah

1. Sincerity of Intentions

2. Genuine Love and Care for the Invitees

3. Uncompromising Steadfastness in Core Issues

4. A Clear Universal and Comprehensive Vision

5. Emphasizing the Individual Responsibility of the Invitee

6. Humility and Gentleness with All

7. Justice, Courtesy, and Respect for the Invitees

http://www.readingislam.com/servlet/Satellite?c=Article_C&cid=1248187881326&pagename=Zone-English-Discover_Islam%2FDIELayout

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

<< Prev Page  of 13 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version