Hall of FameHall of Fame  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp  chatChat
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
General Discussion
 Whyislam.org Forums : General : General Discussion
Message Icon Topic: 100,000 Adams(Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post Reply Post New Topic
<< Prev Page  of 2
whirlingEcstasy  
Mureed
Mureed
Religion: Islam(Sunni)
Forum Rating: 0
bullet Posted: 02 July 2008 at 4:10pm
Originally posted by Sword of sunna

Originally posted by Hikmat

The book was about Ibn Arabi it wasn't authored by him. It just happened to have that quote from him in it.   The book was authored by someone from the Ibn Arabi society.   They have some great lectures you can download in podcast on itunes.

I was wondering if anyone else has heard of this hadith before ?

I would be happy to study his books with someone who can elaborate their inner meaning but unfortunately no one is offering to help me in that regard and I can't seem to find anyone.  If I can't understand the Truth my life will be worthless anyways so I might as well give it a try on my own if no one else will help me.

Anyways I'm constitutionally unable to refrain from reading a book if another person tells me not to read it.   It's kinda like saying " don't think a purple elephant".. the first thing you will do is think of a purple elephant

I've heard that the  
Prophet Khidir has been known to help those who have no earthly instructor?  Or maybe I'll meet some really wise Sufi master some day?  Until then I'm still going to read any book on Islamic esoterism, sufism, etc that I can get my hands on.   And books on other religions as well.

First of all , Thank you for reminding me about the word, i edited it.
2- plz, i disagree with you, withal i hope we discuss these points later, can you ??
3- By and large,I hope you have alook to thses sites, it includes many useful books.
and this also.

ur brother,
Mohamed.

Try to reply to the topic instead of superimposing your view. There is nothing related to the topic in these links.
Slave of ibn Arabi, Muqallid of Shaykh Sayed Abdul Qadir Al Gailany alaihira7ma wa ridhwan
No Guest-Voting   IP IP Logged
whirlingEcstasy  
Mureed
Mureed
bullet Posted: 02 July 2008 at 4:13pm
Originally posted by bcgirl

Hikmat, you most certainly do indeed have the right to read any book which comes your way. Before i became interested in learning about Islam, i used to buy books at these big chains, Chapters, Idigo(which i heard same co. but all the same) and i would go to a spiritual section and see differernt kinda of books written by swami's, buddhists, and lets just say pp with different and varying faiths. I myself am a different person now, with differernt beliefs and i also know how confusing life can be when it feels you are shouting out to the world..Help me!!! and no one is listening.......

Are you a religious person? Do you read a bible? Do you believe Jesus(pbuh) is the son of God or a prophet?  Do you believe in idols? I think you owe it to yourself to sit down and really contemplate what  your belief system is based on and work it our from there. If you told me even 2yrs ago that i would be reading and learning about Islam and its rules, articles of faith and all that encompasses this beautiful religion i would say your crazy.

It sounds to me you havnt found what your true infallible beleif is  because you dont "know" what it is..... and this is fine!!!! read all the books you want, absorb as much about varying faiths as humanly possible this is encouraged..and then you can make a sound choice and listen to your inner instinct and what it is telling you inside, and make this decision on your own, do not let anyone or others sway you.  You will know when you find what your belief is/are......

And in closing, as you mentioned from a book you read about there being 100,000 Adams? Well i havent finished reading the Qur'an and i have read parts of the Holy Bible but in all my research i have heard of no such thing. I think you should do some extensive research instead of taking the opinion of one author who claims there are/were 100,000 Adam's. Now to me this is fluff, but i have a right my opinion as you do to yours, i think i can say with certainty that it is not mentioned in the Qur'an that there are/were 100,000 Adam's, and myself personally, this is the only guide and reference "I" need, but for you, i think it would be in your best interest to delve further, when it comes to life altering decsions even concerning ones's health, we all get a 2nd opinion if not a 3rd, and 4hth......

May God guide you to a path which is staight and i hope you find the answers you are looking for....   

Visions are not always to be taken literally and are interpreted, every tom dick and harry knows about Adam alaihissalaam.

This is a subject which you might have no idea about at present. So its better to read abt it first and then put your ideas in with a bit more understanding.
Slave of ibn Arabi, Muqallid of Shaykh Sayed Abdul Qadir Al Gailany alaihira7ma wa ridhwan
hamayoun  
Super Mureed
Super Mureed
The Humble Muslim
bullet Posted: 02 July 2008 at 4:20pm
Salam

WE, please show manners to our guests on this forum.  bcgirl, you are correct, there is NOTHING about 100,000 Adams in the Quran or in the Hadith.
May Allah give me patience, Ameen.

My blog: http://regularbaba.blogspot.com/
bcgirl  
Sophmore Member
Sophmore Member
Religion: Islam(Muslim)
bullet Posted: 02 July 2008 at 4:33pm
Salam, hi Hamayoun and thank you for for your kind words. As for whirling ecstacy, did you read my reply or did you just skim thru it as most do on here. Not only did i offer Hikmat some kind words, but just gave my own feedback and interpretation of what i read in his original thread. And please for future reference do not insult my intelligence by saying perhaps i should do some more research before replying to a comment..this is a forum afterall, i have just as much as a right to be here as you and everyone else and you have no idea of the capacity of my intellect or knowledge on such topics, so i would suggest to you if in future you do not like a comment i make.... ignore it... im sure there will be plenty more where they came from..... 
Salam Aleikum, my new mission statement:Why worry? God's in control...
rahma  
Sophmore Member
Sophmore Member
bullet Posted: 02 July 2008 at 4:53pm
I did some digging (thank you Sheikh Google) and found some things in shia literature.  However, I do not have a copy of Bihar Al Anwar to check that these references are correct.

Imam Jafar Sadiq said "Before this Adam, there were a thousand thousand Adams."

-Bihar Al Anwar, Volume 2, Part Baa

Also from Imam Jafar Sadiq "Perhaps you think God has not created a humanity other than you. No! I swear to God that He has created thousands upon thousands of mankinds and you are the last among them."

-Bihar Al Anwar, Volume 14, page 79
Hikmat
Freshman
Freshman
Religion: Islam(Shia)
bullet Posted: 02 July 2008 at 5:04pm
 <<If you want to read some thing good some reliable sites are www.livingislam.org and http://bewley.virtualave.net <<

Thank you for the link I will check it out tonight when I get off work.

I didn't mean to make it sound  like your advice not to read the book wasn't good .   I'm only saying I'm a compulsive reader and it would be increadibly hard to refrain from reading it.  I actually only have two books written by him and the only one I've read was his Bezels of Wisdom (about the Prophets) which seemed like a fairly straightforward book though obviously I'm sure it has certain nuances hidden under the outward meanings that I didn't grasp though.    I know many people don't recomend that you read his Meccan Revelations without guidence but I've never read that.

"IF words come out of the heart, they will enter the heart, but if they come from the tongue, they will not pass beyond the ears."
Al-Suhrawardi
Hikmat
Freshman
Freshman
bullet Posted: 02 July 2008 at 5:11pm
<<I did some digging (thank you Sheikh Google) and found some things in shia literature.  However, I do not have a copy of Bihar Al Anwar to check that these references are correct. >>

Thank you.  Thats very interesting.  I wonder if he took that from the sayings of Imam Jafer Sadiq then?  He does specifically say it was from a hadith though.  I guess it's possible Imam Jafer Sadiq himself got that information (of there being 100,000 Adams) from  a hadith however ?

"IF words come out of the heart, they will enter the heart, but if they come from the tongue, they will not pass beyond the ears."
Al-Suhrawardi
Hikmat
Freshman
Freshman
bullet Posted: 02 July 2008 at 5:13pm
>>WE, please show manners to our guests on this forum.  bcgirl, you are correct, there is NOTHING about 100,000 Adams in the Quran or in the Hadith.>>

Thats what I was wondering if it was a widely accepted hadith or where exactly he may have heard of it before.
Al-Suhrawardi
Hikmat
Freshman
Freshman
bullet Posted: 02 July 2008 at 5:16pm
>>First of all , Thank you for reminding me about the word, i edited it.
2- plz, i disagree with you, withal i hope we discuss these points later, can you ??
3- By and large,I hope you have alook to thses sites, it includes many useful books.
and this also.

Thank  you for the links.
Al-Suhrawardi
Hikmat
Freshman
Freshman
bullet Posted: 02 July 2008 at 5:35pm

<<It sounds to me you havnt found what your true infallible beleif is because you dont "know" what it is..... and this is fine!!!! <<

I'm planning on converting to Islam but I'm still researching and praying about it . My main problem is that I'm not sure what "sect" or "school" ( for lack of a better term) of Islam I want to accept .

The problem is when I read about Twelver Shiism (or about Shaykh Fadhlalla-Haeri, Seyyed Hossein Nasr, Mulla Sadra etc) I want to be a Twelver. When I read about Ismailism (or about Nasr Khusraw, etc..) I want to be an Ismaili. When I read the writings’ of Rumi or about Ibn Arabi, Rene Guenon, Martin Lings, Suhrawardi, etc.. I want to be a Sunni. The problem is I like them all to much to decide it seems lol.

On top of that I agree with Traditionalist / Perennial philosophy "school" of Rene Guenon, Frithjof Schoun, Seyyed Hossein Nasr, Reza Shah-Kazemi, Martin Lings, etc.. That the various traditional religions are all legitimate paths to the divine. Because of this I feel that all three of the different "types" of Islam I mentioned could all be legitimate paths.

How does one decide in such a case? I guess I if I'm blessed enough to meet a real spiritual master and saint I will simply adopt the tradition that he/she belongs to.

BTW this is my Amazon page :
Al-Suhrawardi
rahma  
Sophmore Member
Sophmore Member
bullet Posted: 02 July 2008 at 5:51pm
Even if you haven't decided which way your path will take you, don't delay your walk down that path!  You can make shahada and just work on the basics while you're studying.  The salat is basically the same among all groups, so you would be able to get the most important part of islam down - worship of the Divine.

Sh. Nuh visits the US once a year.  If you're up for traveling, I believe the suhba (gathering) will be in Orlando in 2009.  If you sign up for the email list of http://www.thetraditionalpath.com/ you should get an fyi when the exact date and location has been confirmed.  Until then, you can listen to some of his talks via the links I gave earlier. 
Sword of sunna  
Sophmore Member
Sophmore Member
bullet Posted: 02 July 2008 at 7:04pm

la hola wala kwata ela billah !!!

my brother whirlingEcstasy the links that i have given to you includes books about (Tawheed) which the reason of apperiance of those sects ,devaition from (Tawheed)or (from Quran and sunnah by salaf undersating, i mean as the prophet teached to his companions).

I hope also you watch this video from this scholar.

Also read this articles,plz
Who are the saved group?

Are the Sufi shaykhs really in contact with Allaah?

Sufi tareeqahs and the ruling on joining them

In the word, Islam is clear religion "follow quran and sunnah and shaba's way" not worship grave or follow who innovated ways in shria against the prophet's teaches.
And the prophet said " “The Jews split into seventy-one sects, and the Christians split into seventy-two sects. My ummah will split into seventy-three sects, all of which will be in Hell except one.” It was asked, “Who are they, O Messenger of Allaah?” He said, “Those who follow the same path as I and my companions are on today.”

For more details, i hope we discuss with us later, plz.

Ur brother,
Mohamed.

Whenever a matter is shut down in front of you, you will not find a greater solution than saying; "Allah is sufficient for me. He is the Best Trustee, Disposer of affairs".
hamayoun  
Super Mureed
Super Mureed
The Humble Muslim
bullet Posted: 02 July 2008 at 7:17pm
Salam

As per TOS, we dont allow Sufi Salafi debates.  Thx for ur understanding.  I am closing this thread.
May Allah give me patience, Ameen.

My blog: http://regularbaba.blogspot.com/
<< Prev Page  of 2
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version