Hall of FameHall of Fame  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp  chatChat
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Questions and Discussions about Islam
 Whyislam.org Forums : WhyIslam : Questions and Discussions about Islam
Message Icon Topic: Islam and Riba (interest, usury) Post Reply Post New Topic
Page  of 2 Next >>
hannah114  
Mureed
Mureed
Religion: Islam(Muslim)
Forum Rating: 0
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote hannah114 Replybullet Topic: Islam and Riba (interest, usury)
    Posted: 07 July 2008 at 12:50am
How have muslims here dealt with the matter of 'Riba' (interest, usery) in their daily lives?

For those who are reverts, if you previously owned credit cards in which you did not pay in full each month, taken loans, mortgages etc. that involved interest before you were muslim, how have you coped with clearing interest from your finances?

what advice do you have for others?

if you have any useful links for interest-free financial institutions I'm sure someone here might find them helpful Insha'allah

Edited by hannah114 - 07 July 2008 at 1:23am
No Guest-Voting   IP IP Logged
Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Forum Rating: 159
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 07 July 2008 at 1:01am
When there is no Islamic bank available, one of the decisions to be made is what to do with savings?

One alternative is to leave them in a current account till a suitable investment opportunity is found, which is a safe alternative in order not to deal with Riba/interest

Not an easy decison, but better than getting into suspicious transactions

As for credit cards, the best way is to use them when needed but pay off all amounts on-time

Think Win-Win for a better world for all...

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 09 July 2008 at 12:20am
One piece of advice on credit cards:

When you have the option of choosing betwen a credit card and a debit card, always choose a debit card

That way you'all always only spend what you can afford, and not go beyond your budget

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

keithnurse  
Religion: Other(Other)
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote keithnurse Replybullet Posted: 10 July 2008 at 12:20am
How do interest free financial institutions make money?  In Islamic countries are  banks owned by the government so they don't need to make a profit?  It seems to me their is a difference between usury and interest.  usury being excessive interest.  What would be wrong with a 2-3% interest student loan for example if you can't afford to pay the tuition at the time and you make too much to get most grants?
Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 10 July 2008 at 12:44am
Sound financial institutions make money by taking a business risk and producing real value-added to the economy, not by lending money

As can be seen from the current banking crisis in the West, lending money is unsustainable on the long term, as money itself is not a commodity which has value, like for example gold or silver. It is a store of value and a means to facilitate transactions. Once the bubble bursts, the whole interest-based lending system falls due to the domino effect

That's one of the reasons why in Islam interest / usury are prohibited

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

keithnurse  
Religion: Other(Other)
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote keithnurse Replybullet Posted: 10 July 2008 at 2:06am
Originally posted by Al-Cordoby

Sound financial institutions make money by taking a business risk and producing real value-added to the economy, not by lending money

As can be seen from the current banking crisis in the West, lending money is unsustainable on the long term, as money itself is not a commodity which has value, like for example gold or silver. It is a store of value and a means to facilitate transactions. Once the bubble bursts, the whole interest-based lending system falls due to the domino effect

That's one of the reasons why in Islam interest / usury are prohibited

Can you name an example of a financial institution taking a business risk and producing value.  I don't know what that statement means.
whirlingEcstasy  
Mureed
Mureed
Religion: Islam(Sunni)
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote whirlingEcstasy Replybullet Posted: 10 July 2008 at 5:11am
Originally posted by keithnurse

Can you name an example of a financial institution taking a business risk and producing value.  I don't know what that statement means.

I think it comes under Venture Capital.
Slave of ibn Arabi, Muqallid of Shaykh Sayed Abdul Qadir Al Gailany alaihira7ma wa ridhwan
jamilahz  
Graduate
Graduate
in exile
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote jamilahz Replybullet Posted: 10 July 2008 at 8:58am
I've actually read with Credit cards that signing the agreement to pay interest if accrued is not acceptable.  
www.hudastore.com

www.theoneislam.com
rahma  
Sophmore Member
Sophmore Member
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote rahma Replybullet Posted: 10 July 2008 at 10:07am

*Since most savings accounts give interest (a pitiful 1%, but it's still interest), one can have 2 checking accounts instead of a checking and a savings account.  Only hook up one account to your debit card, and treat the other live a savings account.

*The husband and I both have credit cards, so that we can build up our credit score to inshaAllah qualify for one of the halal home loans at some point in the future.  However, we make sure we pay the balance off each month, so that we do not pay interest.

On the halal mortgage/loans - During college, I was very good about not getting a credit card.  I saw too many friends drowning in debt and starting their working lives off 5 steps back.  My senior year, I spoke with a representative of an islamic mortgage business about getting a loan in a few years.  The first thing the rep asked me about was my credit score.  Umm, yeah, I don't have one.  He advised me to get a credit card to build one up   Yeah, so not happy. 

jamilahz  
Graduate
Graduate
in exile
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote jamilahz Replybullet Posted: 10 July 2008 at 10:19am
Ok, I actually looked for a couple of rulings on having a real credit card.

Islamonline.com - this is not islamonline.net - different site all together

IslamQA.com

www.hudastore.com

www.theoneislam.com
hamayoun  
Super Mureed
Super Mureed
The Humble Muslim
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote hamayoun Replybullet Posted: 10 July 2008 at 10:27am
Bear in mind that there is definitely another scholarly opinion that credit cards are halal as long as you pay off the full amount each month.  This is the opinion of the Islamic 'expert' on riba, Mufti Taqi Usmani.
May Allah give me patience, Ameen.

My blog: http://regularbaba.blogspot.com/
jamilahz  
Graduate
Graduate
in exile
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote jamilahz Replybullet Posted: 10 July 2008 at 10:41am
Hamayoun,

Is there a link for his ruling?