Hall of FameHall of Fame  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp  chatChat
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
InterReligious Dialogue
 Whyislam.org Forums : General : InterReligious Dialogue
Message Icon Topic: Can Muslim-Christian Dialogue Succeed? Post Reply Post New Topic
<< Prev Page  of 2
David
Sophmore Member
Sophmore Member

Religion: Christian(Protestant)
Forum Rating: 0
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote David Replybullet Posted: 17 July 2008 at 11:00am
"The meaning of the verse ("To be your way, and to me be mine") is that come what may, muslims will NEVER compromise on their denial of any kind association with God, whether is it perceived or unperceived.  So when it comes to Christianity, and discussing religion with Christians, muslims will ALWAYS deny the divinity of Christ, without any buts, ifs, or whatevers.  NOT in order to offend, but because when it comes to certain things, there is no compromise whatsoever."
Just wanted to include a quote from a discussion from a Muslim on this board on May 26. 
We should work together for peaceful living amongst ourselves.  However, there is little (if anything) in common between Christians and Muslims in terms of teaching what it takes for salvation to eternal life=therefore little to discuss.  I also disagree with the idea that only scholars or the academics should determine what is Truth.  From a Christian standpoint, that doesn't work for many, many reasons.  I can expand if anyone is interested. 
Plus, I'm interested to know what Muslims imagine would happen to Christian evangelizing efforts should some "Muslim-Christian dialogue" ultimately come to fruition and succeed.  I'd like some ideas.  It's unstated of course, but I imagine "success" of this dialogue is persuading the world and, unfortunately, some Christians to believe Christianity must be transformed to achieve "peace."  Actually making it more the feel of Islam.  Simply refer to the quote above.  For the record, I applaud the statement above because it recognizes the truth of the matter.  How can a Muslim have a dialogue with Christians (who believe their is NO compromise on teachings) to come have a dialogue aimed at some closer unity?  And vice versa?  So, that's why I think these initiatives are veiled efforts to rip the heart out of Christianity.  But what's new under the sun?  Satan has tried it since Adam and Eve.  The gates of hell will never prevail against the Church.   
In Christ, David.
No Guest-Voting   IP IP Logged
Ted CharlotteNC  
Undergraduate
Undergraduate
Religion: Christian(Catholic)
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Ted CharlotteNC Replybullet Posted: 17 July 2008 at 5:11pm
Originally posted by Al-Cordoby

What do you think?

Can Muslim-Christian dialogue succeed?

If yes, how?

Succeed at what? Ebony and Ivory, living together in perfect harmony, why can't we? (Old song if you did not know).

Nope, not a chance.

Being tolerant and keep from killing each other?

Maybe a percent or two less, but as long as governments run by men are involved, not much. But still 1% would be a huge number and worth trying.

How can we do it? Be the first to put down the sword is a start.

Indeed I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just. - Thomas Jefferson
Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Religion: Islam(Muslim)
Forum Rating: 159
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 19 July 2008 at 11:49pm
Originally posted by David

"The meaning of the verse ("To be your way, and to me be mine") is that come what may, muslims will NEVER compromise on their denial of any kind association with God, whether is it perceived or unperceived.  So when it comes to Christianity, and discussing religion with Christians, muslims will ALWAYS deny the divinity of Christ, without any buts, ifs, or whatevers.  NOT in order to offend, but because when it comes to certain things, there is no compromise whatsoever."

That's correct

A Muslim will always deny the divinity of Jesus, peace be upon him, and will never accept the concept of the trinity

We should work together for peaceful living amongst ourselves.  However, there is little (if anything) in common between Christians and Muslims in terms of teaching what it takes for salvation to eternal life=therefore little to discuss. 

As mentioned above, there are 2 main types of Christian-Muslim dialogues:

1- The first type of dialogue is meant for better understanding people of other faiths, sharing what is common and understanding their points of views

2- The second type of dialogue is a more specialized type of academic dialogue which focuses on comparative studies of different religions, discussing beliefs and searching for the Truth

The dialogue meant here is the first type, not the second

Dialogue for finding more common grounds and better understanding for peaceful co-existence

Edited by Al-Cordoby - 19 July 2008 at 11:50pm
Think Win-Win for a better world for all...

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

David
Sophmore Member
Sophmore Member

Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote David Replybullet Posted: 20 July 2008 at 8:59am

Based on your response, it sounds as if these threads promote a more secular discussion and not a religious one.  Correct? 

In Christ, David.
Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Religion: Islam(Muslim)
Forum Rating: 159
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 20 July 2008 at 4:43pm
Common grounds between Muslims and Christians include both

There are many shared values between the two faiths, like being good to neighbors, parents, the elderly and helping those in need for help. These are not theological issues, but rather human virtues

And at the end of the day each side has their own religion and followers on each side should respect the freedom of others to have their own faiths

(For you is your religion and for me is my religion) (109:6)

Think Win-Win for a better world for all...

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

keithnurse  
Religion: Other(Other)
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote keithnurse Replybullet Posted: 20 July 2008 at 6:20pm

Just wanted to include a quote from a discussion from a Muslim on this board on May 26. 
We should work together for peaceful living amongst ourselves.  However, there is little (if anything) in common between Christians and Muslims in terms of teaching what it takes for salvation to eternal life=therefore little to discuss.  I also disagree with the idea that only scholars or the academics should determine what is Truth.  From a Christian standpoint, that doesn't work for many, many reasons.  I can expand if anyone is interested. 
Plus, I'm interested to know what Muslims imagine would happen to Christian evangelizing efforts should some "Muslim-Christian dialogue" ultimately come to fruition and succeed.  I'd like some ideas.  It's unstated of course, but I imagine "success" of this dialogue is persuading the world and, unfortunately, some Christians to believe Christianity must be transformed to achieve "peace."  Actually making it more the feel of Islam.  Simply refer to the quote above.  For the record, I applaud the statement above because it recognizes the truth of the matter.  How can a Muslim have a dialogue with Christians (who believe their is NO compromise on teachings) to come have a dialogue aimed at some closer unity?  And vice versa?  So, that's why I think these initiatives are veiled efforts to rip the heart out of Christianity.  But what's new under the sun?  Satan has tried it since Adam and Eve.  The gates of hell will never prevail against the Church.   

I agree that dialogue should not be about compromising on religious doctrine.  There are Muslims who say the same thing as you are saying, that dialogue is a veiled attempt to rip the heart out of Islam, making Islam more appealing to the West. This is the second form of dialogue that a previous post mentioned.  Do you support the first type of dialogue? which is not about theology, but about human beings of different religions getting to know each other as human beings?
Unitarian Universalist
www.uua.org
David
Sophmore Member
Sophmore Member

Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote David Replybullet Posted: 20 July 2008 at 6:20pm

I have a little better understanding.  Thanks. 

Let me clarify my point and my concern with all the talk about finding "common ground" between our religions.  The shared values are fine and good and the world would be a better place if everyone performed them all the time perfectly.  These values are not common because of the motivation behind them.  Christians perform these good works from the basis of Christ living in us and motivating us by love of Him.  I would be very surprised to hear a Muslim agree with this.  Muslims are motivated to perform these things by something other.  I think approaching discussion about "common grounds" that starts from "shared values" without mentioning the motivations behind those values would injure everyone involved at a spiritual level. 

So, why can't governments handle this?  All (or most) governments agree these values are fine things and promote them. 

In Christ, David.
David
Sophmore Member
Sophmore Member

Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote David Replybullet Posted: 20 July 2008 at 6:24pm

keithnurse: Of course I support a dialogue on human beings of different religions getting to know each other  as human beings.  Personally, I enjoy meeting people from other cultures and learning about their cultures.  If I had unlimited funds, I'd be a world traveler. 

In Christ, David.
<< Prev Page  of 2
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version