Hall of FameHall of Fame  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp  chatChat
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
General Discussion
 Whyislam.org Forums : General : General Discussion
Message Icon Topic: Expansion of Masjid Al Haram in Mecca Post Reply Post New Topic
<< Prev Page  of 7
maghi85  
Undergraduate
Undergraduate
Religion: Islam(Sunni)
Forum Rating: 0
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote maghi85 Replybullet Posted: 23 July 2008 at 4:08pm
the injunction addresses those who can afford... most lower-middle-class people can afford to go
it's not an obligation for those who can not afford... 
by obligation it means that it won't be a sin for them to not go
"True religion invites us to become better people. False religion tells us that this has already occurred" - T.J. Winters
Old is Gold
No Guest-Voting   IP IP Logged
Bill2702  
Super Mureed
Super Mureed
Golly goo deaf hello
Religion: Unknown(Unknown)
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Bill2702 Replybullet Posted: 23 July 2008 at 4:28pm
Yet those who do get extra reward from Allah.
Anything free is worth what you pay for it.
maghi85  
Undergraduate
Undergraduate
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote maghi85 Replybullet Posted: 23 July 2008 at 5:48pm
not really...
if one makes the intention for it he gets an equal reward and sometimes even more since intentions are pure while actions may get diluted with ostentation, conceit and pride
there's a famous Arab proverb "how many of those so distant are in fact closer than the one's who are closest (as in physically)"

the reason why it's made obligatory only on those who can afford and not on those who can not afford is to not put an extra burden on the poor...
since this ritual requires a lot financial effort as well

say for instance the act of charity...
for the one whom God didn't bless with money?
he can simply make sincere intentions with God, "Had You given me money my Lord I would spend it in charity" and literally mean it in his heart then he'll get the same reward
"True religion invites us to become better people. False religion tells us that this has already occurred" - T.J. Winters
Old is Gold
shauna-kaye  
Freshman
Freshman
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote shauna-kaye Replybullet Posted: 23 July 2008 at 7:45pm
i just saw some pictures of the future expansion..actually it doesn't look too bad afterall...like islamaholic said no need to make a big fuss...and personally coming from jamaica i wouldn't want them to decrease the numbers going for hajj...next thing i'm ready to go and they cut the quota at me...nah.
but on a serious note the expansion could be nice...we just need moderation through it all.
EVERYTHING HAPPENS BY THE PERMISSION OF ALLAAH(SWT).
whirlingEcstasy  
Mureed
Mureed
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote whirlingEcstasy Replybullet Posted: 24 July 2008 at 3:30am
Originally posted by LtTony

Originally posted by maghi85

when did the world ever address the Judea-Christian alliance problem in the first place that we should stop trying to address it?

why is it reasonable for Tibetans to preserve their culture and sanctity while blameworthy and intolerant for the Muslims to preserve theirs?

And I'll quit asking "what does this have to do with the hotels in mecca," and just affirm your declaration that non-muslims are to blame for muslim affairs in a muslims-only city.

I m blaming the royals who have a history of exploiting the gulf for personal benefits in cooperation with the capitalists of the west.

And for your info: wasn't there a recent scandal in UK about bribes paid to princes of royal family and the sauds threatned to block further cooperation with uk in the defense deal and the uk gov stepped back from exposing it due to monetary loss instead of being honest.
Slave of ibn Arabi, Muqallid of Shaykh Sayed Abdul Qadir Al Gailany alaihira7ma wa ridhwan
Bill2702  
Super Mureed
Super Mureed
Golly goo deaf hello
Religion: Unknown(Unknown)
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Bill2702 Replybullet Posted: 24 July 2008 at 12:07pm

not really...
if one makes the intention for it he gets an equal reward and sometimes even more since intentions are pure while actions may get diluted with ostentation, conceit and pride
there's a famous Arab proverb "how many of those so distant are in fact closer than the one's who are closest (as in physically)"

the reason why it's made obligatory only on those who can afford and not on those who can not afford is to not put an extra burden on the poor...

he can simply make sincere intentions with God, "Had You given me money my Lord I would spend it in charity" and literally mean it in his heart then he'll get the same reward

With all due respect I think you are generalising in order to avoid the question. Of course I understand that there are other ways to qualify for reward. Yet Hajj is a very signiffant aspect in islam being one of the pillars. There is additional reward for performing hajj or it wouldn't be a command.
Anything free is worth what you pay for it.
Aviatrix  
Admin Group
Admin Group
WhyIslam Forum Moderator
Religion: Islam(Muslim)
Forum Rating: 123
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Aviatrix Replybullet Posted: 24 July 2008 at 12:22pm

not really...

Originally posted by Bill2702

With all due respect I think you are generalising in order to avoid the question. Of course I understand that there are other ways to qualify for reward. Yet Hajj is a very signiffant aspect in islam being one of the pillars. There is additional reward for performing hajj or it wouldn't be a command.

Hajj is actually very interesting, Bill--a person can want to go... but there are so many factors that come in to play, I for one really believe that Allah has to actuallyg ive a person permission to go. I have heard some of the most amazing stories of people preparing to go to hajj... if someone makes intention, if they really try, then getting the money, visa, accomodations, everything seems to just work out! And yet some people will do all the work and everything is okay until they are about to leave and something goes wrong and they wind up unable to go.

I totally agree with everything that maghi said above. If a person makes the intention to go, and they try their best--what if they die before they can go? They get the reward of going!! It's not counted against them. That's just how merciful Allah is!

There are people who have no money to speak of who make the intention to go... they go and the process just unfolds for them. But there are so many people with the money who don't make intention to go... and they keep telling themselves they'll do it "later."

When hajj is listed as a pillar it's always specified that this is only an obligation for those who are able to do it. But subhanallah, if a person really tries to go for hajj, and really wants to, even if they don't have the means--somehow the means become available! But to ease the mind... it's not an obligation for those who are unable. Because God Almighty would not ask us to do something that is beyond our capabilities.
maghi85  
Undergraduate
Undergraduate
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote maghi85 Replybullet Posted: 24 July 2008 at 3:15pm
salamualaikum sister Aviatrix,
one of my close friends in UK once was in a mosque weeping to Allah that he may go for Hajj. subhanAllah before he even finished his prayer a man came up to him and asked him if he would like to go for Hajj and that he was willing to pay for all his expenses. a few weeks later my friend was in Mecca
it happened to another one of my friends as well who so wanted to visit the grave of the Prophet pbuh but his passport was stuck in the Saudi embassy and the ambassador had left for vacations. his heart wept while he spoke to me of his ordeal and strong desire to go to Medina, i could hear it in his voice... a few minutes later he got a call from his dad that his passport was ready. He was in Medina a few weeks later
what is it with Brisith converts?
no offense intended ... I do have lots of american convert friends as well but I haven't spent much time with them to know what goes on with them
Old is Gold
Aviatrix  
Admin Group
Admin Group
WhyIslam Forum Moderator
Forum Rating: 123
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Aviatrix Replybullet Posted: 24 July 2008 at 3:42pm
One of my friends who is not a convert decided she wanted to go to hajj one year--she was 40. Her husband didn't want to go, and she had three daughters. So who would take care of them? Where would she get the money? And was it lawful? And could she get a visa? Subhanallah... she made intention and applied, and had the visa denied. But she managed to get family to come watch the kids, and the money issue kinda resolved. So she got on the phone with the people in charge of visas or whatever and kept on making her plans (flight, accommodations) to go on hajj and got her visa like the day before she had to leave. (Even though without a mahram a woman has to be 45 to get a visa!!) Subhanallah... so she made it.

Another one of my friends made intention to go, told her parents who didn't think they could afford it--as her dad would have to go with her. And then her dad agreed. And then her mom decided to go too. And then her mom started wearing hijab that year before they went too! And for them the money and visas all came through... subhanallah.

Seriously, you just have to really want it and make intention, and if Allah wills it happens.
Islamaholic
Graduate
Graduate
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Islamaholic Replybullet Posted: 24 July 2008 at 6:42pm
and got her visa like the day before she had to leave.

This happens alot.   The first time we went for Umrah, we got our visa the night before and we were travelling early in the morning.

ma'salam
<< Prev Page  of 7
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version