Hall of FameHall of Fame  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp  chatChat
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
InterReligious Dialogue
 Whyislam.org Forums : General : InterReligious Dialogue
Message Icon Topic: Who were the 7 Sleepers? What was their Story? Post Reply Post New Topic
Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Religion: Islam(Muslim)
Forum Rating: 159
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Topic: Who were the 7 Sleepers? What was their Story?
    Posted: 10 September 2008 at 6:10pm
Did they live in Jordan?

Is their cave south of the capital Amman?

Are they the 7 young men mentioned in Chapter 18 of the Qur'an (Surat Al-Kahf)?

What was their story according to your faith?

Think Win-Win for a better world for all...

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

No Guest-Voting   IP IP Logged
Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 12 September 2008 at 3:46am
According to the Qur'an, they were a group of young men who believed in God and made their best effort to invite people to faith despite an unjust ruler who did not believe, and who ordered his soldiers to persecute them.

They left town and retreated to a cave to hide, and God made them sleep for 300 years. When they woke up, they thought that they had slept for a day or part of a day, but when one of them went to town to buy food, they realized that all had changed. Their matter was discovered through the money they had, and the people who knew their story from earlier generations built a place of worship over their cave:

This is a summary of their story from chapter 18 of The Qur'an (Surat Al-Kahf):

13.   It is We who relate to you, [O Muhammad], their story in truth. Indeed, they were youths who believed in their Lord, and We increased them in guidance.

14.   And We made firm their hearts when they stood up and said, "Our Lord is the Lord of the heavens and the earth. Never will we invoke besides Him any deity. We would have certainly spoken, then, an excessive transgression.

15.   These, our people, have taken besides Him deities. Why do they not bring for [worship of] them a clear authority? And who is more unjust than one who invents about Allāh a lie?"

16.   [The youths said to one another], "And when you have withdrawn from them and that which they worship other than Allāh, retreat to the cave. Your Lord will spread out for you of His mercy and will prepare for you from your affair facility.”

17.   And [had you been present], you would see the sun when it rose, inclining away from their cave on the right, and when it set, passing away from them on the left, while they were [laying] within an open space thereof. That was from the signs of Allāh. He whom Allāh guides is the [rightly] guided, but he whom He leaves astray – never will you find for him a protecting guide.

18.   And you would think them awake, while they were asleep. And We turned them to the right and to the left, while their dog stretched his forelegs at the entrance. If you had looked at them, you would have turned from them in flight and been filled by them with terror.

19.   And similarly, We awakened them that they might question one another. Said a speaker from among them, "How long have you remained [here]?" They said, "We have remained a day or part of a day." They said, “Your Lord is most knowing of how long you remained. So send one of you with this silver coin of yours to the city and let him look to which is the best of food and bring you provision from it and let him be cautious. And let no one be aware of you.

20.   Indeed, if they come to know of you, they will stone you or return you to their religion. And never would you succeed, then – ever."

21.   And similarly, We caused them to be found that they [who found them] would know that the promise of Allāh is truth and that of the Hour there is no doubt. [That was] when they disputed among themselves about their affair and [then] said, "Construct over them a structure. Their Lord is most knowing about them." Said those who prevailed in the matter, "We will surely take [for ourselves] over them a masjid."

22.   They will say there were three, the fourth of them being their dog; and they will say there were five, the sixth of them being their dog – guessing at the unseen; and they will say there were seven, and the eighth of them was their dog. Say, [O Muhammad], "My Lord is most knowing of their number. None knows them except a few. So do not argue about them except with an obvious argument and do not inquire about them among [the speculators] from anyone."

23.   And never say of anything, "Indeed, I will do that tomorrow,"

24.   Except [when adding], "If Allāh wills." And remember your Lord when you forget [it] and say, "Perhaps my Lord will guide me to what is nearer than this to right conduct."

25.   And they remained in their cave for three hundred years and exceeded by nine.

26.   Say, "Allāh is most knowing of how long they remained. He has [knowledge of] the unseen [aspects] of the heavens and the earth. How Seeing is He and how Hearing! They have not besides Him any protector, and He shares not His legislation with anyone."

(18:13-26)

What is the Christian version of this story?

Edited by Al-Cordoby - 12 September 2008 at 3:49am

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Nura  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Forum Rating: 0
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Nura Replybullet Posted: 12 September 2008 at 4:46am
I don't know the exact Christian version, but once a Greek friend told me that the Cave in somewhere in northern Greece...
Spare me the political events and power struggles, as the whole earth is my homeland and all men are my fellow countrymen. K.Gibran
alic786  
Sophmore Member
Sophmore Member
Religion: Unknown(Unknown)
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote alic786 Replybullet Posted: 12 September 2008 at 7:43am
AL- CORDOBY ,my brother i am very impress that this forum has ,people or persons like your self ,keep up the good work brother ,salam alailkum ...peace
tell your faith and tell you what you are
Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 12 September 2008 at 8:21am
Originally posted by Nura

I don't know the exact Christian version, but once a Greek friend told me that the Cave in somewhere in northern Greece...

Another account of the cave is that it is in Ephesus in Turkey:

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Nura  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Nura Replybullet Posted: 12 September 2008 at 12:06pm

I think Greeks mean Ephesus, they still consider it a part of Greece

Spare me the political events and power struggles, as the whole earth is my homeland and all men are my fellow countrymen. K.Gibran
Nurul_Jannah  
Sophmore Member
Sophmore Member
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Nurul_Jannah Replybullet Posted: 12 September 2008 at 12:30pm
Originally posted by Al-Cordoby

17.   And [had you been present], you would see the sun when it rose, inclining away from their cave on the right, and when it set, passing away from them on the left, while they were [laying] within an open space thereof. That was from the signs of Allāh. He whom Allāh guides is the [rightly] guided, but he whom He leaves astray – never will you find for him a protecting guide. 
Salam Brother

I visited the cave last year in Jordan. The reason why Muslim believe that the cave to be in Jordan was because we could find that the SUN ROSE from the right side of the cave, and set on its left. Exactly how it was described in the Quran.

I was there early in the morning and I could find the sun on the right of the cave when I was facing it. Check one of my photos below.

'... Whoso is removed from the Fire and is made to enter Paradise, he indeed is triumphant. The life of this world is but comfort of illusion.' (Al-Imran 3:185)
Damo808  
Mureed
Mureed

Religion: Christian(Catholic)
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Damo808 Replybullet Posted: 12 September 2008 at 1:03pm
The version from the Catholic encyclopedia is as follows :

Decius (249-251) once came to -->Ephesus to enforce his laws against Christians -- a gruesome description of the horrors he made them suffer follows -- here he found seven noble young men, named Maximillian, Jamblichos, Martin, John, Dionysios, Exakostodianos, and Antoninos (so Metaphrastes; the names vary considerably; Gregory of Tours has Achillides, Diomedes, Diogenus, Probatus, Stephanus, Sambatus, and Quiriacus), who were Christians. The emperor tried them and then gave them a short time for consideration, till he came back again to -->Ephesus. They gave their property to the poor, took a few coins only with them and went into a cave on Mount Anchilos to pray and prepare for death. Decius came back after a journey and inquired after these seven men. They heard of his return and then, as they said their last prayer in the cave before giving themselves up, fell asleep. The emperor told his soldiers to find them, and when found asleep in the cave he ordered it to be closed up with huge stones and sealed; thus they were buried alive. But a Christian came and wrote on the outside the names of the martyrs and their story. Years passed, the empire became Christian, and Theodosius [either the Great (379-395) or the Younger (408-450), Koch, op.cit. infra, p.12], reigned. In his time some heretics denied the resurrection of the body. While this controversy went on, a rich landowner named Adolios had the Sleepers' cave opened, to use it as a cattle-stall. Then they awake, thinking they have slept only one night, and send one of their number (Diomedes) to the city to buy food, that they may eat before they give themselves up. Diomedes comes into -->Ephesus and the usual story of cross-purposes follows. He is amazed to see crosses over -->churches, and the people cannot understand whence he got his money coined by Decius. Of course at last it comes out that the last thing he knew was Decius's reign; eventually the bishop and the prefect go up to the cave with him, where they find the six others and the inscription. Theodosius is sent for, and the saints tell him their story. Every one rejoices at this proof of the resurrection of the body. The sleepers, having improved the occasion by a long discourse, then die praising God. The emperor wants to build golden tombs for them, but they appear to him in a dream and ask to be buried in the earth in their cave. The cave is adorned with precious stones, a great -->church built over it, and every year the feast of the Seven Sleepers is kept.
out of thee shall he come forth unto me that is to be the ruler in Israel: and his going forth is from the beginning, from the days of eternity. Micah 5:5
Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 12 September 2008 at 1:56pm
Thanks Damo - Very interesting

Sounds very familiar, including when the names of the seven sleepers and their story was written outside the case

Brother Amr Khaled had 2 TV episodes this week on the story of the Seven Sleepers (Ahl Al-Kahf as they are known in the Qur'an) in his program on the stories of the Qur'an, with all the morals and lessons learned

These are the links to the summary of the two episodes, if of interest:

Whether the actual cave was in Jordan or in Turkey may need further research ...

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 12 September 2008 at 2:03pm
Originally posted by Nurul_Jannah

Salam Brother

I visited the cave last year in Jordan. The reason why Muslim believe that the cave to be in Jordan was because we could find that the SUN ROSE from the right side of the cave, and set on its left. Exactly how it was described in the Quran.

I was there early in the morning and I could find the sun on the right of the cave when I was facing it. Check one of my photos below.

Thanks sister

Brother Amr Khaled just had 2 episodes where he showed us the cave, and photographed the inside of it. You can download the video of these 2 episodes from his web site:

http://www.amrkhaled.net/mcategories/categories114.html

I remember reading a research paper a couple of years ago which gave evidence that the cave in Jordan is the one mentioned in the Qur'an

This can be an interesting topic of research comparing it with the other cave in Turkey ...

Edited by Al-Cordoby - 12 September 2008 at 2:06pm

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Traveller  
Graduate
Graduate

Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Traveller Replybullet Posted: 13 September 2008 at 2:22pm
Salaam my dear brother.

How did we know there's 7 of them?
In life, be like a traveller. Take only what you need
Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 13 September 2008 at 4:43pm
Assalamo Alaikom brother:

From Tafsir Ibn Kathir:

Their Number

Allah tells us that people disputed over the number of the people of the Cave. The Ayah mentions three views, proving that there was no fourth suggestion. Allah indicates that the first two opinions are invalid, by saying (guessing at the unseen), meaning that they spoke without knowledge, like a person who aims at an unknown target -- he is hardly likely to hit it, and if he does, it was not on purpose. Then Allah mentions the third opinion, and does not comment on it, or He affirms it by saying, (and the dog being the eighth.) indicating that this is correct and this is what happened. ...

More background on the story from IOL:

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Traveller  
Graduate
Graduate

Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Traveller Replybullet Posted: 14 September 2008 at 11:27pm
Thank you sir.

Yeah, I've just done reading it at tafsir.com.

That's interesting.
In life, be like a traveller. Take only what you need
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version