Hall of FameHall of Fame  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp  chatChat
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Questions and Discussions about Islam
 Whyislam.org Forums : WhyIslam : Questions and Discussions about Islam
Message Icon Topic: How to memorize the Qur'an? Post Reply Post New Topic
Page  of 2 Next >>
aida_i  
Freshman
Freshman
Religion: Islam(Muslim)
Forum Rating: 0
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote aida_i Replybullet Topic: How to memorize the Qur'an?
    Posted: 29 September 2008 at 11:25am
i hav a great intrest in trying my best to memorize the holy Quran,
but the thing is, i dont know where to start.
can someone please help me out???!!!
To Him do we belong, and to Him will we return.
No Guest-Voting   IP IP Logged
Aviatrix  
Admin Group
Admin Group
WhyIslam Forum Moderator
Forum Rating: 123
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Aviatrix Replybullet Posted: 29 September 2008 at 1:32pm
Where are you at now? Can you read Arabic, for example?
Aviatrix  
Admin Group
Admin Group
WhyIslam Forum Moderator
Forum Rating: 123
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Aviatrix Replybullet Posted: 29 September 2008 at 1:56pm
What I meant, when I said, "where are you at," was not physical location, I meant regarding the Qur'an. I.e., some people can read Arabic and others cannot, some have studied tajweed while others have not.
maghi85  
Undergraduate
Undergraduate
Religion: Islam(Sunni)
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote maghi85 Replybullet Posted: 29 September 2008 at 2:10pm
mashaAllah that's a nice interest
you could start by studying tajweed rules and sorting out all the makhaarij (i.e. pronunciations of words)
start with the 30th Juz... and then memorize the important chapters of the Quran. i.e. the surahs that you read on a regular basis
Surah Yaseen (after Fajr)
Surah Mulk (after Isha)
Surah Waaqi'a (after Asr)
Surah Sajdah (after Isha)
Surah Kahaf (Friday)
once you master these chapters and read them with a teacher and perfect them then you can decide if you would like to continue on memorizing the rest of the Quran.
how would you decide?
if memorizing and retaining all the above chapters was easy for you then mashAllah; go ahead and memorize the rest of the Quran
if it was hard memorizing and retaining all the above chapters then it's best to stick with what you have and try to master another science that you could perfect and at the same time not use up all your time and be beneficial for others.
this is so because often times people with week memories memorize the Quran and then they forget it; or when they try to retain it they spend too much time revising and then forgetting and revising. They don't really benefit people much.
that's okay. It's not obligatory for people to memorize Quran
some people's memory are very good for being Jurists (i.e. faqih). i.e. they are extremely practical and not very abstract in their recollection of memory...

as for memorization...
this is how you start.
1. verify your intentions. i.e. Allah's continence, proximity, and love. don't worry if they're not strong. As long as you keep reminding yourself of these intentions; they'll get stronger and stronger over time until you become mukhlis and then inshaAllah Allah will make you mukhlas
(may Allah make us all mukhlas ameen)

2. do your tajweed with a proper teacher of tajweed

3. be real! how many pages do you think you can memorize in a day? how much time do you have to memorize? etc. if you're full time then it's best to join a madrasah and follow their schedule and the study pattern implemented there.

4. fix a daily time for reading the Quran. just reading. i.e. Tilaawah (for ta'abud... for the sake of worship and not memorize). atleast 1 Juz or 2. best time would be between Maghrib and Isha

5. once you do the above then start below

6. memorize a page by reading it over and over again. once you've memorized it; take a counter or a prayer beads and read that page from memory 24 times. If you want it to be really strong then read it 41 times

7. read yesterday's memorized page 11 times or 7 times.... and the day before yesterday's memorized page 3 times or 5 times from your memory.

8. read atleast 1 Juz to 3 Juz of what you've already memorized. If you start with the 30th Juz and the important surahs then you won't have much a problem as you can easily bring the chapters in to your prayer and the important surahs you read them daily in your litanies

Remember! this daily litany of reading 1-3 Juz from your memory (depending on your memory strength) along with the 1-2 Juz of reading Quran (for worship) should be put in a time of your day that you think you can be free in for the rest of your life. You have to maintain that schedule otherwise you'll forget or it will become patchy.

on the path to memorizing Quran one has to be very cautious of the risks it entails. some of the risks are
1. forgetting
2. ostentation
3. conceit

as for forgetting... if you persist in your daily schedule and never leave it then inshAllah the Quran will never leave you as long as you're true to it.
looking at haraam stuff weakens the memory. to lower one's gaze is very important
sleeping alot also weakens the memory

as for ostentation... one needs to try to be vigilant of his/her nightly prayers where one stands by himself before Allah, broken hearted; seeking his continence and felicity and begging him to purify you of the sicknesses of the heart.
also building one's focus in what one reads doesn't allow ostentatious thoughts to enter the mind

as for conceit... one has to remind himself that he is
a. he is nothing (whatever you have is Allah's)
b. he has nothing (whatever you have is Allah's)
c. he doesn’t deserve anything (whatever you have was given to you by Allah's mercy and not from his justice; had He given us what we deserved the earth would swallow us)

doing zikir of Allah Allah Allah in the heart helps one to remind himself of this reality to the point when the reality of humility actualizes in the heart and the light of emaan enters it.
may Allah actualize humility in all of our hearts and give us the light of true emaan
ameen ameen ameen
please make dua for this mendicant
"True religion invites us to become better people. False religion tells us that this has already occurred" - T.J. Winters
Old is Gold
Peter Pan  
Sophmore Member
Sophmore Member
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Peter Pan Replybullet Posted: 29 September 2008 at 4:54pm
sis aida, it's good to start from the end. I've memorized from surah 78 to the last and it was quite a lot easy coz verses are small.

Sis amy, she's probably from sri lanka.

--------

Yea! Sorry! I didn't get that.

-------

brother maghi

I didn't reply in a new post coz I know my post will always be in the end.

Edited by Peter Pan - 29 September 2008 at 5:14pm
aida_i  
Freshman
Freshman
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote aida_i Replybullet Posted: 30 September 2008 at 4:47am
jazakallah khair everyone,
but the thing is i hav a tight schedule, my school is very far frm home so i hav to travel really early and reach hme l8, at around 5:00pm.
and after dat time passes very quickly, with tonnes of h/w, chores etc.
i want someone to help me with my schedule  and try to save time for memorizing

aida_i  
Freshman
Freshman
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote aida_i Replybullet Posted: 30 September 2008 at 4:50am
and thanx alot 4 d tips brother  maghi85, tht was really nice of u
aida_i  
Freshman
Freshman
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote aida_i Replybullet Posted: 30 September 2008 at 4:51am
Originally posted by Aviatrix

Where are you at now? Can you read Arabic, for example?

i've memorized most of the short surahs frm amma juz, and yes i can read arabic in the thajweed manner
maghi85  
Undergraduate
Undergraduate
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote maghi85 Replybullet Posted: 30 September 2008 at 7:59am
Salaamualaikum Sister...
you could memorize a page after Isha; i.e. before going to bed. This way you'll be in Wudhu and you're mind would be, inshaAllah, free of everything apart from Quran before going to bed.
I suppose your school starts at 8:00 or 8:30 and gets over by 2:00 or 1:30 in the afternoon and you reach home by 5

you could spend the 5 and half or 6 hours in your bus revising that page and the pages you've memorized before.
if you stick to a page a day you could finish the Quran in 2 years time and it'll be strong as well inshaAllah.
6-7 hours a day is very good for doing a page a day.

and then on weekends you could read what you've memorized over the week to a teacher so that he/she could correct you.

Edited by maghi85 - 30 September 2008 at 8:01am
"True religion invites us to become better people. False religion tells us that this has already occurred" - T.J. Winters
Old is Gold
aida_i  
Freshman
Freshman
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote aida_i Replybullet Posted: 02 October 2008 at 2:57am
jazakallah khair,
didnt think of that!!!
musluman_85
Freshman
Freshman

Religion: Agnostic(Agnostic)
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote musluman_85 Replybullet Posted: 02 October 2008 at 4:39pm
Fatiha is heart Kur'an for me I you must began than fatiha
Love Islam  
Freshman
Freshman
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Love Islam Replybullet Posted: 04 October 2008 at 1:19am
Bismillah,

Salamualaykum,

Mashallah, 

JazakAllahukhair,  Brother maghi85,   Thank You it was so helpful to me too.

May Allah, The Greatest guide us to His straight path.

And All Praise Due To Allah, and peace and blessings from Allah on Mohammed, His beloved Messenger.

Edited by Love Islam - 04 October 2008 at 1:20am
All The Praises and Thanks be to Allah, The Lord of All who exists.   The Fatiha 2nd ayat
Islamway  
Mureed
Mureed
Allahu Akbar
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Islamway Replybullet Posted: 05 October 2008 at 7:14am

Its good that you decided to memorize Qur'an at that young age, the older one gets the more difficult memorization becomes .. I suggest you start memorizing Qur'an from the first chapter (surat al Baqarah) .. as for the method of memorization, it differs from person to person. Here are my suggestions (thats how I memorize Qur'an myself): First: make sure to have a supervisor, if not a shaykh then a good recitor of Qur'an, keep a separate mushaf for memorization, determine the amount you intend to memorize daily (a quarter per day is a very suitable amount), choose a shaykh whose recitation of the whole Qur'an is available in good quality on the Internet (check mp3quran.net for good quality recitations) and whose recitation is neither too rapid or too slow.

Steps of memorization: 1- listen to the part you are going to memorize while reading it at the same time, make a mark with your pencil on any error you make while reading 2- memorize the part in whatever way you want 3- listen to the part you memorized while reciting it at the same time (not reading) twice, and again make a mark on any error you make 4- recite the part you memorized in every payer throughout the day 5- after finishing each juz' take two days to revise it (a hizb each day) 6- after finishing each 5 juz's take a weak to revise them (revision will be very easy this time) 7- Don't forget about reading Qur'an regularly (a chapter daily)
I hope this helps.
jana.z  
Mureed
Mureed
Bismillah
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote jana.z Replybullet Posted: 05 October 2008 at 9:15am
great to see you islamway and when i saw this thread you were exactly who i had in mind to answer!!!!
And hold fast, all together to the rope of Allah and do not separate.”Âl’ Imran:103)

http://myimmatureviewpoint.blogspot.com/
http://solomuslimah.blogspot.com/
Page  of 2 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version