Hall of FameHall of Fame  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp  chatChat
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Learn about Islam
 Whyislam.org Forums : Learn About Islam : Learn about Islam  
Message Icon Topic: Useful Links for New Muslims Post Reply Post New Topic
<< Prev Page  of 28 Next >>
Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Religion: Islam(Muslim)
Forum Rating: 159
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 20 July 2017 at 4:11pm
New Muslims and the Art of Happiness

Sometimes it can feel like a daunting task to find happiness.

It takes work, but be sure that happiness awaits you.

I was unhappy for a large portion of my life. It seemed that there was always something dragging me down, and chaining my soul to misery, with the key nowhere to be found.

I felt I would never break free from those chains. In a nutshell – I had mastered the art of UN-happiness.

Although I was young, I was facing many struggles that most people never face. I felt I didn’t have time for happiness, because I had too much to worry about. I was losing hope and never feeling happy with my life.

I have never been a quitter, and I’m also a perfectionist, and these two traits have always kept me going. You have to look at your strengths and make the most of them, instead of focusing on your weaknesses.

Contentment by Remaining Positive

Although I was not Muslim during this stage in my life, I did believe in God, and I knew that if I worked hard, and did my best, things would eventually turn around, although I felt it wasn’t happening quickly enough. Confidence and willpower to always try to improve myself got me a long way. I knew God would pull through for me… and He did...

http://aboutislam.net/reading-islam/living-islam/new-muslims-and-the-art-of-happiness/

Think Win-Win for a better world for all...

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

No Guest-Voting   IP IP Logged
Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 29 July 2017 at 4:42pm
Remembering My First Summer as a New Muslim

A Convert's Personal Experience

Slowly, the sleeves of my shirts got longer, as the hems of my skirts descended, and I did the best that I could with what I had. I may not have worn the headscarf at that point, but I was definitely all over the modesty part.

At the end of summer, I moved away from my family to finish my university education out of state. I used the move as a way to begin again in a new place with new friends and a new identity.

Away from the pressure of disapproval, I was able to wear the headscarf and begin to figure out who I was as a Muslim. But the next summer, I returned home during the vacation and faced the same hard decisions again...

http://aboutislam.net/reading-islam/living-islam/remembering-my-first-summer-as-a-new-muslim/

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 04 August 2017 at 5:18am

Feeling Muslim Project for Supporting New Muslims

As part of her Master's thesis research at the University of Georgia, Karla conducted the study Feeling Muslim: An Intimate Portrait of Identity Cultivation among American Female Converts to Islam, which explores the identity formation and cultivation process of American women of all races and classes who have converted to Islam.

Karla’s research centers on the process through which American female converts to Islam cultivate their identity as Muslim women

https://www.feelingmuslim.org/karla-kovacik--m.a..html

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 24 August 2017 at 4:54pm
Narratives of Conversion to Islam in Britain: Female Perspectives, Andrea Chisht

Andrea Chishti, one of the participants of the Narratives of Conversion symposia, discusses the report and her experience of conversion to Islam in Britain.

'Narratives of Conversion to Islam in Britain: Female Perspectives' is a recent report from the Centre of Islamic Studies at the University of Cambridge, in association with the New Muslims Project.

For more information about Narratives of Conversion and to download the report for free, please see the following link:

http://www.cis.cam.ac.uk/reports/post/203-narra­tives-of-conversion-to-islam-in-britain-­female-perspectives

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 12 September 2017 at 2:56pm

A Basic Introduction to Islam (Special Folder)

There is so much information, (and misinformation), about Islam in the media and on the Internet.

In fact, there is an overflow of information, which can be quite confusing for someone wanting to understand.

Who is the God of Muslims?

Who is their Prophet?

What is Islam all about?

And what does the Qur’an really say and teach?

These are the 4 main questions we try to answer in this folder, with carefully selected answers as a brief introduction to Islam in less than 30 questions and topics...

http://aboutislam.net/reading-islam/in-focus/basic-introduction-islam-special-folder/

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 14 September 2017 at 3:44am
Your First 3 Practical Steps as a New Muslim

Much has been written on what a new Muslim should do after converting. What the first steps after shahadah should be is a topic even I have expounded on many times—like the article I wrote entitled, The First Step A New Convert Should Take which is all about intentions, motivation, and matters of the heart.

But sometimes this kind of advice makes it seem as if material matters aren’t important. But you should know that they are.

Islam teaches us a balance, to be in this world and to take care of one’s worldly needs while also thinking of the life of the hereafter and taking care of one’s spiritual needs.

We are beings of duality. We have a physical existence and a spiritual existence. When the needs of one or the other are ignored, bad things happen...

http://aboutislam.net/reading-islam/living-islam/first-3-practical-steps-new-muslim/

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 16 September 2017 at 2:53pm
Being a Muslimah Convert in the West

Being a Muslim woman in the West at this moment in time is such a strange, dangerous, and amazing thing. On one hand, we have so many freedoms and opportunities to spread out in our spirituality and practice our faith.

But on the other hand, we feel fettered by societal norms that contradict our Islam, and we suffer from a kind of cultural backlash when we do not conform. On one hand, people of the West celebrate difference and freedom of faith. But on the other hand, people are being swayed more and more by anti-Muslim rhetoric.

Being a Muslim woman in the West-and specifically a convert- is a trail blazing and rebellious balancing act that comes with many pressures and questions...

http://aboutislam.net/family-society/your-society/muslimah-convert-west/

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 10 October 2017 at 5:01am
4 Reasons Make Us Convert to Islam

Many advantages are gained by converting to Islam, the most obvious one being the sense of calmness.

Establishing a relationship with God in the most pure and simple way is liberating and exhilarating...

http://aboutislam.net/reading-islam/my-journey-to-islam/4-reasons-make-us-convert-to-islam/

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 15 October 2017 at 8:15am
3 Important Tips for Converts to Islam

Congratulations of becoming a Muslim.

You are bound to get a lot of information as a new Muslim but here are 3 practical tips to hold onto.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgGYH0XthP4

(98 seconds)

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 24 October 2017 at 2:53am
6 Simple Tips to Boost Your Faith After Shahadah

As a convert to Islam, you can easily remember the moment that you discovered that Islam was the one and only true religion.

The moment of realization is an intense whirlwind of emotions such as relief, joy, gratitude and peace.

The moments leading up to the taking of the Shahadah, or Islamic declaration of faith, are equally exuberating. You wear your best clothes, travel to the mosque and pronounce the testimony of faith:

Ash hadu an la ilaha illa Allah, wa ash hadu anna Mohammadan rasoolu Allah” (I bear witness that there is no god but Allah, and that Muhammad is His Messenger) in public for the very first time.

Afterwards, the Muslims at the mosque will offer their congratulations and so too will the Muslims in your community. Your new faith has lit up your heart and the sense of the Islamic nation surrounds you.

However, it is important to realize that the level of excitement you felt in taking the shahadah will likely fade away as you get back to living. It’s inevitable and it does not necessarily mean that you are a “bad” Muslim or have done anything wrong.

The faith, ebbs and flows just like a babbling brook in the middle of a grassy meadow...

http://aboutislam.net/reading-islam/living-islam/6-simple-tips-to-boost-your-faith-after-shahadah/

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 31 October 2017 at 5:55am
Learning a New Lingo – A Convert’s Funny Stories

When you join a new field – studies, work, religion, even some social clubs – you have to learn a whole new lingo before you can understand what your colleagues are talking about.

All of us converts face this, and the problem is sometimes aggravated by poor translations that don’t really say what the translators think they say.

Prayer

I can think of several amusing misunderstandings in my early months as a Muslim (many years ago!). I first learned to perform salah (ritual prayer) from a book. The instructions said that I should not let a stranger walk in front of me while praying and I took that very literally...

http://aboutislam.net/reading-islam/living-islam/learning-a-new-lingo-a-converts-funny-stories/

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 12 November 2017 at 12:09pm

Supporting New Muslims: Facebook LIVE with sister Leah

Converting to Islam is one of the most important choices someone can make, and it’s often fraught with hardship and loss.

How can we support the new Muslims in our life? What sorts of advice can we give them? What helps and what doesn’t?

Is there anything we should definitely not say or do?

This is a LIVE Facebook session with sister Leah Darland Hanoosh where she will shared her advice, as a convert

http://aboutislam.net/live-session/supporting-new-muslims-live-leah-darland-hanoosh/

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 21 November 2017 at 11:43pm
I Want to Convert to Islam But…

Answers to 8 Frequently Asked Questions, including:

1- I have recently accepted Islam, do I need to change my name?

3-  Do I have to say the testimony of faith (shahadah) in front of people?

No. You do not have to utter the two testimonies:

Laa ilaaha ill-Allah, Muhammad-ur-Rasool-ullah, sallAllahu alaihi wa sallam… in front of people to be considered a Muslim in the sight of God.  You can say it to yourself.

What is important is that:

(i)   you know the meaning of the testimony of faith

(ii)  you actually utter the two testimonies verbally

(iii) your heart confirms it, you truly believe it, and intend to live by it to your best ability...

http://aboutislam.net/reading-islam/living-islam/i-want-to-convert-but/

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 28 November 2017 at 12:37pm
How to Pray for New Converts to Islam

In this video, Eddie of the Deen Show performs ablution then prays, step by step:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGDSTJIhG9Q

(15 minutes)

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

<< Prev Page  of 28 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version