Hall of FameHall of Fame  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp  chatChat
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Learn about Islam
 Whyislam.org Forums : Learn About Islam : Learn about Islam  
Message Icon Topic: Useful Links for New Muslims Post Reply Post New Topic
<< Prev Page  of 26 Next >>
Ted CharlotteNC  
Undergraduate
Undergraduate
Religion: Christian(Catholic)
Forum Rating: 0
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Ted CharlotteNC Replybullet Posted: 09 July 2008 at 11:09am
Originally posted by Al-Cordoby

I was reading this (which is a very nice easy site for me) , and this paragraph popped out:

* Al-Qadar. Al-Qadar is the understanding that some facets of our lives have been pre-destined by Allah (Subhanahu wa ta'ala). These include the existence of all creatures, the length of a person's life span, and the amount of provision (or wealth) they will receive. Although Allah (Subhanahu wa ta'ala) has the Supreme authority, He has granted man, His Vicegerent (deputy) use of a limited authority in exercising discretion and making choices. Since accountability presupposes authority, Allah (Subhanahu wa ta'ala) equipped man with all the necessary and appropriate faculties to understand and exercise judgement. Allah (Subhanahu wa ta'ala), out of His Mercy, revealed additional guidance through His chosen Prophets (alaihim assalam) to explain the rewards and the consequences of his deeds. It is up to man to make or mar his own future.

I was wondering if there are specific references that you could point me to as to pre-destination and free will. Thanks

Edited by Ted CharlotteNC - 09 July 2008 at 11:10am
Indeed I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just. - Thomas Jefferson
No Guest-Voting   IP IP Logged
maghi85  
Undergraduate
Undergraduate
Religion: Islam(Sunni)
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote maghi85 Replybullet Posted: 09 July 2008 at 12:09pm
Originally posted by Ted CharlotteNC

Originally posted by Al-Cordoby

I was wondering if there are specific references that you could point me to as to pre-destination and free will. Thanks

http://www.sunnah.org/aqida/haddad/Buti-Hikam3-1.htm  (part 1)
http://www.sunnah.org/aqida/haddad/Buti-Hikam3-2.htm  (part 2)
they're quite dense though =(

or do you mean references from Scripture?

Edited by maghi85 - 09 July 2008 at 12:11pm
Ted CharlotteNC  
Undergraduate
Undergraduate
Religion: Christian(Catholic)
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Ted CharlotteNC Replybullet Posted: 09 July 2008 at 12:15pm
This looks good, I will read later thanks
Indeed I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just. - Thomas Jefferson
Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Religion: Islam(Muslim)
Forum Rating: 159
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 22 July 2008 at 2:06am
Muslim Channels . TV 

CAIR-CA: Website is Muslim Alternative to YouTube

MuslimChannels.tv aims to educate non-Muslims about Islam and provide an Internet site for Muslims to view videos without worrying about anti-Islamic tirades or sexually explicit content, said Tarek Ayoub, a volunteer for the site and for the site's nonprofit founder, Islam The Answer Corp.

"It's a way for Muslim users to feel safe," Ayoub said.

The site also includes non-religious programming, such as comedy, travel, sports and cultural videos, along with documentaries containing trenchant political commentary on subjects such as the Israeli occupation of the Palestinian territories. The volunteer-run site will not accept advertising or donations, to avoid compromising its mission, Ayoub said.

Larry Slusser, secretary of the Southwest Riverside County Interfaith Council and a Mormon, praised the idea behind the site.

"I think it's great anytime someone can dispel misconceptions and promote understanding of and appreciation for a faith," said Slusser, who has not visited the site. "As a Latter-day Saint, I know many people have misperceptions about my faith. There's enough hatred in the world. We need more understanding of our differences."

Hussam Ayloush, executive director of the Southern California office of the Council on American-Islamic Relations, said MuslimChannels.tv's nonreligious videos show how Muslims are culturally and ethnically diverse and cannot be defined solely by their religion.

http://www.cair.com/ArticleDetails.aspx?ArticleID=25179&&name=n&&currPage=1&&Active=1

This is the web site:

Think Win-Win for a better world for all...

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Mansoor_ali  
Freshman
Freshman
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Mansoor_ali Replybullet Posted: 28 September 2008 at 8:49pm

Useful links for New Muslims

By Maulana Maududi

By Maulana Maududi
Mansoor Khan
Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 28 September 2008 at 11:05pm
If you have not yet visited WHY-ISLAM's new web site, released a week or so ago, have a look here:

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 17 October 2008 at 7:32am
Islamic Finance Web site

This web site was initiated in 1997 by Tarek El-Diwany, author of the book titled (The Problem with Interest)

It has some good resources for learning more about the basics of Islamic banking and finance and Islamic economics

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 22 November 2008 at 5:46am
Sheikh Suhaib Webb's Blog

An interesting place to learn more about Islam, with interesting articles by Suhaib Webb and others

A very useful site for general Islamic information

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Green  
Freshman
Freshman
Religion: Islam(Sunni)
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Green Replybullet Posted: 09 December 2008 at 4:21pm
Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 29 December 2008 at 11:57pm
A live dialogue last Sunday on IOL with Dr. Idris Tawfik answering questions of new Muslims:

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 15 January 2009 at 1:38pm
Curriculum for New Muslims - From The Blog of Suhaib Webb

Q: If someone is starting out learning about Islam, what program of study do you recommend?

A: The best way to gain knowledge in the din, is to gradually build up a decent level of competency in the various subjects, before embarking deeply into one subject or another

Before beginning:
We suggest first and foremost that you learn the fundamentals of purification, prayer and fasting

More details:

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 23 January 2009 at 10:10am
Sultan.org Links to a Wide Range of Muslim Web Sites & Resources

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 09 March 2009 at 10:43am
Science Islam

Includes 9 videos of the comments of scientists on the Qur'an

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 22 March 2009 at 9:23am
Live Session Today on IOL with Dr. Idris Tawfik:

Help for New Muslims

Q: Should new Muslims change their old names?

A: It is not, though, a requirement to change your name. Sometimes, it is good to give witness to the society in which you live by keeping the name you were always known by.

In my own case, I did not change my name when I lived in the UK.

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

<< Prev Page  of 26 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version