Hall of FameHall of Fame  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp  chatChat
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Learn about Islam
 Whyislam.org Forums : Learn About Islam : Learn about Islam
Message Icon Topic: The Love of God Post Reply Post New Topic
<< Prev Page  of 19 Next >>
a well wisher  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Religion: Islam(Muslim)
Forum Rating: 0
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote a well wisher Replybullet Posted: 05 June 2010 at 3:30pm

God's Special Love in Islam (hub, mahabbah, wudda)

In addition to rafah, rahmah,the Qur`an also uses hub, mahabbah, and wuddu to refer to God's love. In general, these words signify a more personal and warmer manifestation of divine love than do the other words we have considered above. Mahabbah of God was operative, for example in the safe upbringing of Moses among his enemies, and in His raising him to great spiritual and moral heights:

I cast over you (O Moses) the garment of love (mahabbah) from Me and (this) in order that you may be reared under My care (literally "eye") (20:39)

Hub and Wudda are available to the faithful:

On those who have faith and do good will the Most Gracious One (Rahman) bestow love (wudda)." (19:96)

Say, (O My Prophet to the people), "if you love God, follow me, (and) God will love you (hub) and forgive you your sins; for God is oft-forgiving, most merciful." (3:31)

Wudda gives rise to God's name Al-Wadud (Loving One) (11:90; 85:14).

Hub is available to those:

• who repent (2:222)

• who do good (2:195; 5:13)

• who are just (5:42; 49:9)

• who persevere in patience (3:145)

• who fight for His cause (61:4)

• who love cleanliness (61:4)

• who put their trust in Him (3:158)

and so on. But it is not available to the:

• the conceited, boastful man (2:190)

• the mischievous disturbers of peace (28:77)

• the unjust (42:40)

• the extravagant (6:142)

• the supercilious (16:23)

• the transgressors (2:190)

and so on.

Thus while there is a divine love (rafah, rahmah) which embraces everything there is another, warmer, type of love (hub) that God gives to some but not to others. That God is selective in giving this warmest love is necessary idea found in every religion. It really amounts to a distinction between good and evil. If God treated everybody in a completely identical manner, regardless of his character and conduct, then the distinction between good and evil, which is essential to all religions, would become meaningless. Consequently there is no basis for the criticism by some people that the Qur`anic conception of God's love is defective because the Qur`an says that God does not love people with certain bad qualities such as unjustness, boastfulness, lawlessness.

The Qur`an does not say that God hates these people, only that He does not love them with a warm love (hub); the question of the availability of the universal type of divine love (rahmah) is left in the Qur`an open for all people in the world.

Let us note some further points about the Qur`anic concept of God's hub.

1. It is clear from the Qur`anic verses referred to above that the distinguishing marks of those who received God's hub are certain qualities or traits -- trust in God, justness, patience etc. Adherence to a code of law given by Islam is not stressed in this connection.

2. The Qur`an says that those who follow the Prophet receive God's hub (3:31) but it stops at this positive statement and does not say anywhere that those who do not follow the Prophet will not receive God's hub, thus leaving the possibility in principle that followers of other religions may acquire the qualities and conduct that earn man the love of God. But the Qur`an does say that those righteous believers in other faiths who accept Islam will have their portion of divine love doubled (57:28). This is because God has a special love for the Prophet Muhammad and his mission represents the primary means in our age for the realization of divine purpose in history, so that to follow him is more than to acquire faith and good qualities.

3. Although a man with good qualities of heart and conduct receives divine love, he does not do so because of his qualities. For like every other good thing that happens to a man (4:79), good qualities of heart and conduct are themselves ultimately a gift from God and are not acquired by man on his own.  

4. To the extent that the Qur`an relates the reception of divine love with acquisition of certain qualities of heart and conduct (even if that relation is not of simple cause and effect), we can say that according to the Qur`an divine love is purposive, for qualities can become relevant only for serving a purpose. Thus God's love should not be thought of as simply a sentimental person-to-person relationship, but a creative force which operates to realize an End.

• La ilaha ill-Allah, Muhammadur Rasulullah
    No Guest-Voting   IP IP Logged
    Al-Cordoby  
    Admin Group
    Admin Group
    Forum Rating: 159
    Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 09 June 2010 at 12:01am

The Love of the Beloved

The love of the Beloved
    must be unconditionally returned.

If you claim love
    yet oppose the Beloved,
    then your love is but a pretence.
    You love the enemies of your Beloved
    and still seek love in return.

You fight the beloved of your Beloved.

Is this Love or the following of Shaytaan?

True devotion is nothing
    but total submission
    of body and soul
    to One Love.

We have seen humans claim to submit,
    yet their loyalties are many.

They put their trust here, and their hope there,
    and their love is without consequence.

http://www.islamicawakening.com/viewarticle.php?articleID=491&

Think Win-Win for a better world for all...

My Blog
    Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
    Admin Group
    Admin Group
    Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 17 June 2010 at 12:50am

Love for God in Islam

The Highest Attribute of Spiritual Attainment

There are many reasons people become Muslim. Among those reasons are feelings of the need to be a part of something better than what they have, believing that Islam holds more truth than other beliefs, or rejecting something once believed.

Attributes that are obtained by the Muslim are fear of God, and love for God. The last being the highest reason to worship. Yet obtaining Love for God is a process. It is something to be achieved. One does not simply wake up loving God. But once love of God is had it is like no other type of love that has been experienced.

Those Who Love God

Love of God causes one to enjoy life more fully. It causes the Muslim to realize that God is the only non-changing reality. He is the Sure Reality and Truth ...

My Blog
    Muslim Heritage

a well wisher  
    Admin Group
    Admin Group
    Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote a well wisher Replybullet Posted: 27 June 2010 at 6:13am

Of Love--may God exalt you!--the first part is jesting, and the last part is right earnestness. So majestic are its diverse aspects, they are too subtle to be described; their reality can only be apprehended by personal experience. Love is neither disapproved by Religion, nor prohibited by the Law; for every heart is in God's hands.

Sometimes, it is true, Love comes as a result of a definite cause outside the soul, but then it passes away when the cause itself disappears: one who is fond of you because of a certain circumstance will turn his back on you when that motive no longer exists.

Love is characterized by longing for the loved one, horror of separation, hope of having one’s love reciprocated. It has been suggested that the sentiment varies according to its object. But the object varies only according to the lover’s desires, according to whether they are on the increase, the decrease, or are vanishing altogether. Thus, love felt for God Almighty is perfect love; that which unites beings in the quest for the same ideal, the love of a father, a son, parents, a friend, a sovereign, a wife, a benefactor, a person in whom one has placed one’s hopes, a lover, all is generally the same, all is love, but there are different species as I have just listed, differing by the amount of love inspired by what the loved one is able to give of itself.-

Ibn Hazm  [Al-Akhlâq wa’l-Siyar (Morals and Behaviour)]
    La ilaha ill-Allah, Muhammadur Rasulullah
    a well wisher  
    Admin Group
    Admin Group
    Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote a well wisher Replybullet Posted: 03 July 2010 at 7:01am

In the Quran it says,

2:165 “ Among people there are those who take others as equal besides Allah. They love them as they would love Allah. But those who have faith love Allah more than anything else. ”

The Prophet (puh) told a man who came to him, “ You are with those you love. ” The Prophet was not just being nice to this man, he was teaching him and us something very important. He was making clear that love is the ultimate test of our worthiness as human beings. And he was giving us a way to understand about our own love. To know what it is that we really love.

We are with what we love. Whatever we love is what is closest to us. What is most often thought of and remembered by us, what is most sought by us, that ' s what we love. So, what is it that we remember the most? What occupies our attention the most? What do we wish for the most? Let us be honest with ourselves, do we think of Allah most of the time? Or are we thinking of other things most of the time. Where is our attention? Is it on God or is it on the countless other things that occupy us and distract us from our real purpose?

If we can examine ourselves honestly and know what we love then we have taken a major step forward. If we find that what we love is Allah then we are blessed with a great gift for which all praise is due to Allah. But if what we love is other than Allah, then at least we know and we have the opportunity to seek to change what is in our hearts.

A reliable test of how true our love is for Allah is to see how much we are able to serve others and to give of ourselves generously and openly for Allah ' s sake. This is one of the most important truths: The quality of our faith is reflected in our intention, attitudes, and behavior.

Mahmoud Mostafa (Khutba on Love In Islam)
    Al-Cordoby  
    Admin Group
    Admin Group
    Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 07 July 2010 at 12:05am
    Way of the Muslim: Love of Allah

A talk by Sheikh Yusuf Estes on Huda TV on the Love of Allah

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJ6wWuPrRpE

(26 minutes)

My Blog
    Muslim Heritage

a well wisher  
    Admin Group
    Admin Group
    Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote a well wisher Replybullet Posted: 11 July 2010 at 8:39am

Once a pious man was asked, “Teach me how to love Allah” to which he said “loving Allah is not brought by  teaching”.

There is a Qur`anic verse in which Allah says, “Allah will bring a people whom He will love and they wil love Him”, it is not a wonder that He says, “They will love Him”, but it is a wonder that He says “Whom He will love”.

~Ibn Al-Qayyim (ra)-Al-Fawaa'id

Al-Cordoby  
    Admin Group
    Admin Group
    Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 21 July 2010 at 12:07am
    We must love others to be loved by God

"When we close our hearts to others, our eyes are closed to see the beauty of God in them. The message of Islam, Judaism, Christianity and all other religions is one of love and service to others.  If God decides to care and love and feed even those who deny his existence, then who are we to deprive someone else of our love just because he is of different color or speaks a different language or is born in a different country or prays to the same God but in a different direction, using different words?"

Dr. Shahid Athar, October 21, 2001

Man is not only a social animal but a spiritual one. This spirituality stems from the fact that he was created by God, who had blown his spirit into him. Thus, while our body is a container of the soul, which is attached to earthly matters, the soul, with its essence of the spirit, always longs to be united with the Creator.

One of the meanings of the word Islam is surrender, and human life is nothing but surrender. We had no choice when our souls were created, nor did we have a choice when they were united with the flesh in our mother's womb. We had no choice living as a fetus and after birth were dependent on our parents and others around us...

http://www.islamfortoday.com/athar14.htm

My Blog
    Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
    Admin Group
    Admin Group
    Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 24 July 2010 at 2:38pm
    Love of Allah

Ibn al-Qaiyim mentioned ten causes that result in Allah's love:

First, reciting the Qur'an while pondering over its meanings and what is meant by it.

Second, getting closer to Allah by performing voluntary deeds after completing obligatory deeds...

Third, continual remembrance of Allah under all circumstances, with one's tongue, heart and actions. The extent of one's love of Allah is determined by this.

Fourth, giving precedence to what He loves over what you love when you are overtaken by your desires.

Fifth, the heart being avid of Allah's Names, and Attributes and the heart roaming in that garden of knowledge.

Sixth, observing Allah's kindness, goodness and bounties, both hidden and open.

Seventh, and this is the most wonderful, the heart being soft, subdued and meek before Allah ...

http://www.islaam.com/Article.aspx?id=58

My Blog
    Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
    Admin Group
    Admin Group
    Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 12 August 2010 at 1:08am
    To Love Allah is to Get to Know Him and Try to Have Refined Manners

There is a verse in the Qur'an on the purpose of our creation which is translated as follows:

"And I did not create the jinn and mankind except to worship Me." (51:56)

"to worship Me" is the literal translation of the Arabic verb (li-ya'boudoun"

There is however a second meaning which is to get to know God and to love Him.

The step which follows this knowledge is to do one's best to acquire the manners which God has praised in the Qur'an, like generosity and patience, ... etc, and to spread these virtues on earth among people, dealing with them in the best way possible, with mercy, kindness and love

Allah is The Most-Generous (Al-Kareem)

Do you want to love Allah and that He loves you?

Be generous with people in all matters, including time

Allah is The Patient (Al-Saboor)

Be patient with people and don't get angry

These are some important issues to consider for those who seek Allah's love ...

My Blog
    Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
    Admin Group
    Admin Group
    Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 13 August 2010 at 1:20am
    Are you a Friend of God?

Prophet Abraham, peace be upon him, was Allah's close friend (Khalilul-Rahman). In all the trials and hardships he went through in life, he trusted God and put his faith in Him. The more prophet Abraham did that, the closer he became of God

The love of God brings a believer closer to Him, like in this world sincere friends are close to each other

When you are need of God's help to get you out of a difficult situation, do you ask for His help?

Try it, and see what happens

Allah says in the Qur'an:

"And when My servants ask you, [O Muhammad], concerning Me – indeed I am near. I respond to the invocation of the supplicant when he calls upon Me. So let them respond to Me [by obedience] and believe in Me that they may be [rightly] guided" (2:186)

God is very near, and He responds to a believer's prayers

My Blog
    Muslim Heritage

a well wisher  
    Admin Group
    Admin Group
    Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote a well wisher Replybullet Posted: 14 August 2010 at 6:16pm
    There is no doubt that perfect servitude to Allah is part of perfect love, and perfect love is connected to the perfection of the Beloved in and of Himself, for Allah, may He be glorified, is completely and absolutely perfect in all aspects, and could not possibly have any imperfections whatsoever.

For one who is like this, nothing can be dearer to people’s hearts than Him; so long as their basic nature and reason are sound, it is inevitable that He will be the dearest of all things to their hearts. Undoubtedly love of Him leads to submission and obedience to Him, seeking His pleasure, doing one’s utmost in worship of Him and turning to Him. This is the best and strongest motive to do acts of worship. Even if there were no commands and prohibitions, no reward and punishment, one would do one’s best and devote one’s heart to the true God.

Therefore one of the Salaf said: Loving Him motivates me in such a way that is even stronger than His commands. And ‘Umar said concerning Suhayb: Even if he did not fear Allah, he would not disobey Him…

Miftaah Daar al-Sa‘aadah, Ibn Al-Qayyim (ra)

Al-Cordoby  
    Admin Group
    Admin Group
    Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 15 August 2010 at 12:27am
    Allah's Love and Mercy

He is The Most-Merciful, and He loves that believers deal with people with kindness and mercy

Allah informs us in the Qur'an that His Mercy has no limits, as He says:

"Say: O My slaves who have transgressed against themselves (by committing evil deeds and sins)! Despair not of the Mercy of Allah: verily, Allah forgives all sins. Truly, He is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful". (39:53)

And He said:

"And My Mercy embraces all things". (7:156)

In an authentic hadith, Prophet Muhammad, peace be upon him, said:

"When Allah created the creatures, He wrote in the Book, which is with Him over His Throne: `Verily, My Mercy prevailed over My Wrath" (Al-Bukhari and Muslim)

In another hadith, the Prophet, peace be upon him, said:

"Allah has divided mercy into one hundred parts; and He retained with Him ninety-nine parts, and sent down to earth one part. Through this one part creatures deal with one another with compassion, so much so that an animal lifts its hoof over its young lest it should hurt it". (Al-Bukhari and Muslim)

God loves that mercy, kindness and love prevail between people, especially among: parents and sons, husbands and wives, neighbors, friends, relatives, the rich and the poor, the strong and the weak, ... etc.

A guaranteed path towards God's love is through dealing with others with kindness and mercy, and this leads to His Mercy on the Day of Judgment

Have mercy on those on earth, and you will find Mercy in Heaven

My Blog
    Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
    Admin Group
    Admin Group
    Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 18 August 2010 at 12:32am
    God's Love and a Believer's Care and Support to Others

God has given us many blessings, including wealth to some people

He is The All-Wealthy (Al-Ghany) and He loves that the wealthy use their wealth in the right way. He dislikes that we waste our money and spend it on unnecessary luxury items when our relatives, neighbors, friends, co-citizens ... are in need

He is a Merciful God, and He loves that we treat others with kindness and mercy. Kindness to orphans who have no parents to take care of them is highly praised in Islam and a deed which brings a believer very close to Allah

Spending charity on those in need by the wealthy over and above the minimum zakah (2.5% of yearly savings) is a sign of faith, and the stronger the faith the more percentage of wealth is spent for the sake of Allah

One of the companions of the prophet, peace be upon him, was a multi-millionaire. His name was Abdel Rahman ibn 'Aouf, and one day his trade caravan arrived in Madinah with a huge amount of merchandise. On hearing of this massive caravan, Lady 'Aishah said that she heard the prophet say that Abdel Rahman ibn 'Aouf will enter Paradise on his knees (as he will be asked about his wealth how he spent it). On hearing this hadith, he donated the whole caravan for the sake of Allah to the poor people of Madinah.

Another companion of the Prophet, Omar ibn Al-Khatab, donated half his wealth to the poor, while Abu Bakr donated all his wealth several times for the sake of Allah

They did that seeking God's Love, as they knew that caring for those in need brings them closer to Allah.

My Blog
    Muslim Heritage

<< Prev Page  of 19 Next >>
    Post Reply Post New Topic
    Printable version Printable version