Hall of FameHall of Fame  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp  chatChat
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Learn about Islam
 Whyislam.org Forums : Learn About Islam : Learn about Islam  
Message Icon Topic: The Love of God Post Reply Post New Topic
<< Prev Page  of 18 Next >>
a well wisher  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Religion: Islam(Muslim)
Forum Rating: 0
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote a well wisher Replybullet Posted: 21 April 2010 at 6:52am

"And yet there are some people, who replace Allah with rivals,loving them as Allah is loved.

But the believers love Allah more intensely." 

(The Qur'an ,2:165)  
La ilaha ill-Allah, Muhammadur Rasulullah
No Guest-Voting   IP IP Logged
a well wisher  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote a well wisher Replybullet Posted: 23 April 2010 at 9:20am
Understanding Our Love for Allah & for His Messenger

Allah says: "Say (O Muhammad): If you do love Allah, follow me: Allah will love you and forgive you your sins." [Sűrah Al `Imrân: 31]

This verse affirms the believer's love for Allah as well as the relationship between that love and the believer's love that a believer has for the Messenger. There are other verses that add to this understanding

For instance, Allah says, confirming that our love for Him is the essence of our faith: “O you who believe, if any from among you turn back from his faith, soon will Allah produce a people whom He will love as who will love Him." [Sűrah al-Mâ'idah: 54]

In one hadith, it reads: “If anyone possesses three qualities, he will experience the sweetness of faith: That Allah and His Messenger are dearer to him than anything else, to love someone only for Allah's sake, and to hate relapsing into unbelief as he would hate being thrown into the fire.” [Sahîh al-Bukhârî (15) and Sahîh Muslim (60)]

The meaning of love is clear. On a most obvious level, it is an emotion, the emotional opposite of hate. It is a function of the heart. Our love for Allah, moreover, is the essence of our worship, since pure and sincere worship means complete love together with the complete humility. The worshipper’s faith in his Lord and his knowledge of Him vary with the degree of the love and honor in which he holds his Lord. The worship which is prescribed by Allah depends on the true state of the heart.

Our love of the Prophet (peace be upon him) is quite different. It follows as a consequence of our love for Allah. We love the Prophet (peace be upon him) because he is the Messenger of Allah, because he is the best in character, because the most sincere and kindest person among all human beings. We love him for what he brought us: the guidance and the true religion. We must love him more than we love any other created being, but still it is from the type of love that we have for a created being, and not the love that we have for the Creator.

Love for the Prophet (peace be upon him) is a sincere love inspired by knowledge of his great character and his kindness, and by an appreciation of his efforts and sacrifices in calling to Allah and advising the people.

Allah says: “Now there has come unto you a Messenger from amongst yourselves: it grieves him that you should suffer, ardently anxious is he over you: to the believers is he most kind and merciful.” [Sűrah al-Tawbah: 128]

The difference between the two is that the love we have for Allah is for His very being, His essence. It is enriched by our knowledge of Allah's most beautiful names and His supreme attributes that inspire reverence, awe, and feelings of glorification, humility and submission to His greatness. This is the love we have for Allah: a love of reverence, veneration, and awe. This is exclusively for Allah and must never be given to any created being.

Our love for the Prophet (peace be upon him) comes as a consequence of our love for Allah. In other words, we love the Prophet (peace be upon him) because he is the Messenger of Allah, and the kindest, most gentle, and ethical human being there ever was. He was kinder and more merciful to people than their own parents are to them. It is obvious that the right of the Prophet (peace be upon him) to be loved, respected and honored, is more than that of parents.

This is a weighty love indeed, since we know that Allah holds in honor the rights of the parents and mentions being kind to them along with His own rights upon us.

Allah emphasizes just how important their rights are by making mention of their rights at the same time that He orders us to worship Him. Allah says: “Serve Allah, and join not any partners with Him; and do good to parents.” [Sűrah al-Nisâ': 36]

He says: “Your Lord has decreed that you worship none but Him, and that you be kind to parents.” [Sűrah al-Isrâ': 23]

May peace and blessing be upon the Prophet Muhammad and upon all the other Prophets.

a well wisher  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote a well wisher Replybullet Posted: 24 April 2010 at 2:27pm

Love the creation for the love of the One who created it.

[Imam Birgivi]

Allah swt will say on the Day of Resurrection:

Where are those who love one another through My glory? Today I shall give them shade in My shade, it being a day when there is no shade but My shade.

(Related by Al-Bukhari and by Malik)
a well wisher  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote a well wisher Replybullet Posted: 27 April 2010 at 7:09pm

"After all, it was a matter of love;and love is composed of many things;of our desires and our loneliness,of our high aims and our shortcomings, of our strengths and our weaknesses.So it was in my case.Islam came over to me like a robber who enters a house by night;but unlike a robber , it entered to remain for good..."

Islam at Crossroads -Muhammad Asad aka Leopold Weiss

Until you seek you cannot find-
That's true, save of the Lover:
 You cannot see Him, being blind,
Until you shall discover.

~Rumi (ra)

a well wisher  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote a well wisher Replybullet Posted: 01 May 2010 at 2:56pm

"The heart, in its journey to Allah, Majestic is He, is like that of a bird: love is its head, and fear and hope are its two wings. When the head and two wings are sound, the bird flies gracefully; if the head is severed, the bird dies; if the bird loses one of its wings, it then becomes a target for every hunter or predator"

~Ibn Al Qayyim (ra)

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Forum Rating: 159
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 04 May 2010 at 12:02pm

Love of Allah (Poem)

The love of the Beloved
must be unconditionally returned.

If you claim love
yet oppose the Beloved,
then your love is but a pretence.
You love the enemies of your Beloved
and still seek love in return.

You fight the beloved of your Beloved.

Is this Love or the following of shaytaan?

True devotion is nothing
but total submission
of body and soul
to One Love.

We have seen humans claim to submit,
yet their loyalties are many.

They put their trust here, and their hope there,
and their love is without consequence.

http://islaam.com/Article.aspx?id=292

Think Win-Win for a better world for all...

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

a well wisher  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote a well wisher Replybullet Posted: 06 May 2010 at 7:11pm
Patience and Loving Allah

Patience is one of the most important qualities demanded of those who claim to love Allah, as the degree of patience determines those who are sincere in their claim and those who are not. The degree of patience needed to endure hardship and difficulties in order to please the Beloved proves the sincerity of one’s love. Many claim to love Allah, but when Allah tests them with hardship, they forget the true essence of love. No-one can adhere to the love of Allah except those who are patient and persevering (as-sâbirűn). If it were not for the test of hardship and sincerity, there would be no proof of the sincerity of a person’s love of Allah. The one whose love of Allah is greater, has a greater degree of patience.

Therefore, Allah has attributed the quality of patience to His close friends (awliyâ) and most beloved. He said about His beloved slave Ayyub (AS): “…Truly We found him full of patience and constancy. How excellent in Our service! Ever did he turn (to Us)!” (Sâd 38:44) Allah instructed the most beloved to Him of everything He created to have patience in accepting His decree and told him that patience comes only by the help of Allah. He praised those who have patience and promised them the best of rewards: the rewards of others are defined and limited, but the reward of as-sâbirűn is without measure. Patience is vital at all levels of Islâm, îmân and ihsân, as well as being a major element in îmân (faith) and tawakkul (putting one’s trust in Allah).

Ibn-Al Qayyim (ra)

a well wisher  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote a well wisher Replybullet Posted: 08 May 2010 at 12:59pm

The Secret of Love

Muhammad's (peace be upon him) life journey offered at every stage an existence devoted to the worship of God. The heart cannot but commune with such a being as he follows the path to freedom: freedom not only to think or act, for which Muhammad fought with dignity, but also the freedom of a being who had liberated himself from his attachments to superficial emotions, destructive passions, or alienating dependence. Everybody loved, cherished, and respected his ego, to give himself, and, in turn, to love without bondage. Divine love was free from human dependence. He submitted, and he was free: he submitted in the peace of the divine, and he was free from the illusions of the human. He had once told one of his Companions the secret of love: "Keep away from [do not envy] what men love, and men will love you." [Ibn Majah]

God had inspired him to follow the path to the Love that continues this love: "My servant keeps getting close to Me through freely chosen devotions until I love him; and when I love him, I am the hearing through which he hears, the sight through which he sees, the hand through which he holds, and the foot through which he walks." [Bukhari] God's love offers the gift of proximity to the divine and transcendence of the self. God's Love is a Love without dependence, a Love that liberates and elevates. In the experience of this closeness one perceives the presence of the Being, of the divine.

"In The Footsteps of The Prophet" - Tariq Ramadan

a well wisher  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote a well wisher Replybullet Posted: 11 May 2010 at 3:17pm
Does Allah Love You?

Allah’s Love
Much is said about the first two of the three components in our relationship with Allah: fear, hope and love. But less is said about Allah’s Love. And this is important to know, because by realizing Allah’s Love, those of us whose hearts are hard are softened; those of us who feel deep inside that we can never be forgiven will be awoken with hope; and those of us whose relationship with Allah is mechanical will be enriched.

When Allah loves a servant

“When Allah loves someone he calls to Jibreel (as) saying, ‘O Jibreel, I love such and such a person, so love him.’ Then Jibreel will call to the (angels) of the heavens, ‘Allah loves such and such a person so love him.’ And the angels will love [that person]. And then Allah will place acceptance on earth for that believer.” (Bukhari and Muslim)

It would have been enough for Allah to say that He loves a person, for what more could someone want? But because Allah is Al-Wadood (the Loving) and Al-Kareem (the Most-Generous), He declares this love to the Angels, which does not stay in the heavens but descends to the earth because Allah puts acceptance of this person in the hearts of people.

So who is eligible for this love?
“…God loves those who do good” (Surat Al Baqara, 2:195) ”
“…God loves those who repent to Him, and He loves those who keep themselves clean” (Surat Al-Baqara, 2:222) ”
“…God loves those are mindful of Him” (Surat Aal-Imran, 3:76)

“…God loves those who are steadfast” (Surat Aal-Imran, 3:146)
“…God loves those who put their trust in Him” (Surat Aal-Imran, 3:159)
“…God loves the just” (Surat Al-Maida, 5:42)

So not only does Allah love the Prophets (as), the Companions (ra) and the scholars, but all the people listed above as well. And though those who repent are those who committed sins, maybe even grave sins, Allah loves them because they return to Him. By being one of those people above we are eligible to be loved by Allah.

Look at another manifestation of Allah’s love. He says in a hadith qudsi: “Whosoever acts with enmity towards a closer servant of Mine (wali), I will indeed declare war against him.” (Bukhari)

And who are the awliya? ”Now surely the friends (awliya) of Allah – they shall have no fear nor shall they grieve – those who believe and are conscious of God.” (Surat Yunus, 10:62-63)

Allah continues in the same hadith qudsi, showing us how we can be of the awliya: ”Nothing endears My servant to Me than doing of what I have made obligatory upon him to do. And My servant continues to draw nearer to Me with the supererogatory (nawafil) so that I shall love him.”

That’s it? Start with the obligatory and then add the things that are sunnah? Then what happens?

“When I love him, I shall be his hearing with which he shall hear, his sight with which he shall see, his hands with which he shall hold, and his feet with which he shall walk. And if he asks (something) of Me, I shall surely give it to him, and if he takes refuge in Me, I shall certainly grant him it.” (Bukhari)

Our problem is that we invest so much in people’s love, yet forget that the everlasting love is that of Allah. Some of us are taught to believe that because of our sins, we can never be eligible for this love, yet nothing could be further from the truth. The examples above are only a tiny glimpse of Allah’s dealings with us. May we always be of those who have hope in Allah’s Love and Mercy and seek to get closer to Him. Ameen.

The above was adapted from a lecture by Amr Khaled.

Edited by a well wisher - 11 May 2010 at 3:18pm
a well wisher  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote a well wisher Replybullet Posted: 12 May 2010 at 2:00pm
Du’a of hubb (Love)

Du’a of Habibullaah-Prophet Muhammad(pbuh)

اللَّهُمَّ إنِّي أَسألُكَ حُبَّكَ

ِو حُبَّ مَنْ يَنفَعُنِي حُبُّهُ عِنْدَكَ

اللَّهُمَّ ما رَزَقْتَنِي مِمَّا أُحِبُ فاجعَلهُ لِي قُوةً في ما تُحِب

اللَّهُمَّ ما زَوَيتَ عَنِّي مِمَّا أُحِبُ فاجعَلهُ لِي فَرَاغَاً فِي ما تُحِب

O Allah, I implore You for Your Love

And the love of the one: whose love benefits me with You

O Allah, whatever You have bestowed upon me of what I love: let it be strength for me in what You Love

O Allah, whatever You withhold from me of what I love: let it be free.

Edited by a well wisher - 12 May 2010 at 2:00pm
a well wisher  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote a well wisher Replybullet Posted: 13 May 2010 at 10:39am

Prophet Muhammad, peace and blessings be upon him, said:

“If Allah Loves a people, He tests them.”
(Al-Tirmidhi)

How is it that Allah can test those who are beloved to Him?

“…because this forces the servant to repent.

Allah tests the servants with the punishments of this world in order that they repent from their sins, as He Said: {“…that He may make them taste a bit of that which they have done, in order that they may return.”} [ar-Rum; 41] So, for whoever is granted the chance to repent by Allah as the result of an act of disobedience, this is from the greatest of blessings of Allah upon him, because this will result in his invoking and supplicating to Allah with submission and humility. Because of this, Allah has condemned those who do not lean on their Lord, and do not invoke Him when crisis occurs: {“And indeed, We seized them with punishment. But, they did not humble themselves to their Lord, nor did they invoke Him with submission.”} [al-Mu'minun; 76] And supplicating and invoking Allah with humility is from the greatest of blessings, and this blessing is from the greatest paths by which one can rectify his religious practice, as the rectification of one’s religious practice is in his worshipping Allah, alone, depending on Him, and not calling upon any deity besides Him – not a du’a’ of worship, nor a du’a’ of request.

So, if you are granted the chance to perform repentance, which entails worshipping Allah, alone, and you obey His Messengers by doing that which you are commanded, and abandoning that from which you are forbidden, you are from those who worship Allah. And if you are granted the chance to supplicate to Allah – which is to ask Allah for whatever you need, and you ask Him for what will benefit you, and you seek refuge with Him from anything that would harm you – this is from the greatest of Allah’s blessings upon you.

This is usually what happens when a disaster strikes, and if such blessings emerge when crisis strikes, it would only make sense that the people most deserving of this are those who are beloved to Him, and it is upon such people to thank Allah.”

['Taysir al-'Aziz al-Hamid'; p. 353-355]
a well wisher  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote a well wisher Replybullet Posted: 16 May 2010 at 3:55pm

Junayd said, “I heard Al-Hârith Al-Muhâsibî say: “Love (mahabbah) is your inclination to something with all of your being. Then, your preference to that thing over your own self, your soul and your possessions and wealth. Then, your being in accordance with that thing inwardly and outwardly, privately and publicly. Then, realizing your shortcomings with regards to your love of it.”

a well wisher  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote a well wisher Replybullet Posted: 18 May 2010 at 3:19pm
God's Love in Islam

The Qur'an uses several words for the term "love" with different shades of meaning. If all these words -- rafah, rahmah, wudda, hub, etc. -- are translated as "love", then this word is of very frequent occurrence in the Qur'an, appearing on average about once in every 15 aya'h (communications; verses). Even the word hub, which is most commonly translated as love, occurs in application to God so frequently in the Qur'an that it is hardly justified to say that Islam knows only greatness of God, not His love.

God's Universal Love (rafah, rahmah, rabubiyyah)

The various words used in the Qur'an for God's love can be divided into two categories: those that relate to universal manifestation of divine love and those that refer to a special love reserved for the righteous.

God's love in its universal manifestation is generally referred to in the Qur'an under the terms rafah and rahmah. Rafah can be translated as compassion, kindness or pity, while rahmah is usually rendered as grace, love, blessing or mercy. About God's rahmah the Qur'an says that it encompasses all things:

My punishment I inflict upon whom I will but My rahmah embraces all things... (7:156).

O our Sustainer! You embrace all things within (Your) rahmah and knowledge (40:7).

These verses reveal that while divine punishment is an act of God's will directed towards some purpose, love or rahmah is, as it were, His nature, His normal attitude towards men and other creatures. So it is said in 6:12, 15 that God "has enjoined upon Himself (the rule) of rahmah". It is possible to include in "all things" that are under the embrace of God's rahmah even those people who are punished, so that even divine punishment can be said to proceed in some way from rahmah. [It's through punishments and afflictions do we realize that we have crossed the natural boundaries of our existence. This, in turn, brings about a sense of awareness and self-knowledge, which in turn enables one to return to the middle and the balanced path where there is contentment and peace.]

For humans, God's rahmah and rafah are manifested, for example, in His abundant forgiveness and in the creation of the environment in which humans live, an environment that they can use to their great benefit (22:65; 30:50 etc.). They are also manifested in the revelations sent by God through His messengers (2:154; 11:17; 11:53), [as through this Divine guidance, we come to know God and the natural boundaries He has created within which there is a maximum chance for our spiritual growth].

The coming of Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) is especially a manifestation of God's rahmah and rafah (57:9; 6:155). He came as rahmat-al-lil-alamin (grace to all nations) and the revelation he brought is rahmah for all those who believe (10:57; 17:82 etc.).

Concrete manifestations of rahmah and rafah gives rise to two oft-repeated "names" or attributes of God: Rahman and Rahim. Both names are intensive forms derived from rahmah, signifying "Most Gracious or Compassionate", but there seems to be a difference in the shade of meaning. Rahim emphasizes divine love as it responds to man's deeds when they have occurred or his needs when they have arisen; for example, God's patience, long suffering and forgiveness given to man after he has been sinning or His responding to the prayer of a man who has been suffering. The name Rahman, on the other hand, stresses love and grace that flows from God independently of what man does, such as God's love and grace which is manifested in His creating man or sending the Prophet for humankind or in His putting some of humankind on the right path, in any of which acts human beings played absolutely no part. 

Edited by a well wisher - 18 May 2010 at 3:20pm
Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Forum Rating: 159
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 25 May 2010 at 12:03am

Allah loves His worshippers who love and obey Him; who adhere to His commandments and His Law. They love Him.

The Prophet (peace be upon him) taught us that the love of Allah is the highest level of faith a believer can attain. He said: “If anyone possesses three qualities, he will experience the sweetness of faith: The first is that Allah and His Messenger are dearer to him than anything else. The second is to love another person only for Allah's sake. The third is to hate falling into unbelief as much as one would hate being thrown into the fire." [Sahîh al-Bukhârî (16) and Sahîh Muslim (43)]

We see that the prophet made the sweetness of faith depend upon three things all of which relate to love: to love Allah and to love for His sake, and to hate unbelief which is none other than the rejection of Allah and His blessings.

Love is an emotion. As such, it is something that must genuinely be experienced in the heart. A believer loves the Lord and desires that the Lord returns that love. Whosever Allah loves has no reason to fear, and the world will be an abode of contentment and virtue. Death and what comes after it will be better by far. When Allah loves a believer, He raises that person's status in Paradise and brings that person near to Him.

http://islamtoday.com/artshow-429-3456.htm

Think Win-Win for a better world for all...

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

<< Prev Page  of 18 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version