Hall of FameHall of Fame  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp  chatChat
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Questions and Discussions about Islam
 Whyislam.org Forums : WhyIslam : Questions and Discussions about Islam  
Message Icon Topic: What are the Keys of Happiness in Islam? Post Reply Post New Topic
<< Prev Page  of 17 Next >>
a well wisher  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Religion: Islam(Muslim)
Forum Rating: 0
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote a well wisher Replybullet Posted: 12 January 2010 at 4:09am
Seek to Please God

One of the most elusive objectives of every human being is "Happiness." The Quran reveals the secret of attaining perfect happiness in this life and forever. We learn from the Quran that happiness is an exclusive quality of the soul. Thus, a body that attains all the material successes it longs for - money, power, fame, etc. - often belongs to an unhappy person. Happiness depends totally on the degree of growth and development attained by the soul, the real person. The Quran provides a detailed map towards perfect happiness for both body and soul, both in this world and in the eternal Hereafter.

In the numerous verses throughout this proven Testament, God personally guarantees the believers' happiness, now and forever (10:62-64)

As believers in God alone, our priority in this life should be to fulfill God's expectation of us. We should live a life that will please God. What pleases God is not our utterances, but our actual intentions or actions to carry out His commandments. When pleasing God becomes the most important aspect of one's life, God will make every thing wonderful for him or her...

La ilaha ill-Allah, Muhammadur Rasulullah
No Guest-Voting   IP IP Logged
a well wisher  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote a well wisher Replybullet Posted: 14 January 2010 at 10:11pm

Fun in Islam

“Do you mean to imply that there is no such thing as fun and enjoyment in Islam?”

The question should be turned around to, “What should I, as a Muslim, consider enjoyable, relaxing, or fun?” This is a matter of priority and perspective.

To take an extreme example, many non-Muslims turn to alcohol or drugs and claim that they do that because they enjoy it. A Muslim looks at that—especially many converts who experienced that in the past and are now at a completely different level of understanding—and he cannot understand how they find that to be fun and entertaining.

One cannot imagine the Companions of the Prophet (peace be upon him) wasting their time in some of the pursuits that many Muslims spend a great deal of their quality hours in. This is because their purpose and goal in life was very different and much loftier.

The purified soul gets rest, enjoyment and pleasure by doing acts that are pleasing to Allah.

The Prophet would say to Bilal, “O Bilaal, make the iqaamah for the prayer, giving us rest by it.” The things that the Companions enjoyed and felt pleasure with were the acts that when performed would bring Allah’s pleasure to them.

Consider the fact that both Eids or celebrations for Muslims come after completing a very important act of worship or drawing oneself closer to Allah (the fast of Ramadan and the pilgrimage to Makkah). This is a clear indication that the real source of joy and happiness for believers must be in completing those acts that are pleasing to Allah.

Purification of the Soul-Jamaal al-Din M. Zarabozo

Daishin  
Freshman
Freshman
Religion: Buddhism(Buddhism)
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Daishin Replybullet Posted: 18 January 2010 at 4:16am
I am not a muslim but as I see it, Islam is very close to other theistic traditions. And it has a built-in non-questioning theology. For example, if someone would say Islam is not true, a muslim would point to the Koran and say it is true. There is nothing in the Koran or in the teaching of Islam by the prophet that would make it true. Like all theist traditions, it depends on faith. This is Islam's weakness and its eventual demise.
Neither This Nor That
a well wisher  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote a well wisher Replybullet Posted: 24 January 2010 at 3:51pm

Ease in Hardship

Five reasons why God uses problems

The problems you face will either defeat you or develop you - depending on how you respond to them. Unfortunately, most people fail to see how God wants to use problems for good in their lives. They react foolishly and resent their problems rather than pausing to consider what benefit they might bring.

Here are five ways God wants to use the problems in your life:

1. God uses problems to DIRECT you.
Sometimes God must light a fire under you to get you moving. Problems often point us in a new direction and motivate us to change. Is God trying to get your attention? "Sometimes it takes a painful situation to make us change our ways."

2. God uses problems to INSPECT you.
People are like tea bags...if you want to know what's inside them, just drop them into hot ever water! Has God tested your faith with a problem What do problems reveal about you? "When you have many kinds of troubles, you should be full of joy, because you know that these troubles test your faith, and this will give you patience."

3. God uses problems to CORRECT you.
Some lessons we learn only through pain and failure. It's likely that as a child your parents told you not to touch a hot stove.... But you probably learned by being burned. Sometimes we only learn the value of something... health, money, a relationship. .. by losing it. "It was the best thing that could have happened to me, for it taught me to pay attention to your laws."

4. God uses problems to PROTECT you.
A problem can be a blessing in disguise if it prevents you from being harmed by something more serious. Last year a friend was fired for refusing to do something unethical that his boss had asked him to do. His unemployment was a problem - but it saved him from being convicted and sent to prison a year later when management's actions were eventually discovered. "You intended to harm me, but God intended it for good...

5. God uses problems to PERFECT you.
Problems, when responded to correctly, are character builders. God is far more interested in your character than your comfort. Your relationship to God and your character are the only two things you're going to take with you into eternity. "We can rejoice when we run into problems...they help us learn to be patient. And patience develops strength of character in us and helps us trust God more each time we use it until finally our hope and faith are strong and steady."

Here's the point:

God is at work in your life - even when you do not recognize it or understand it.But it's much easier and profitable when you cooperate with Him.

"Success can be measured not only in achievements, but in lessons learned, lives touched and moments shared along the way"

a well wisher  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote a well wisher Replybullet Posted: 03 February 2010 at 3:52pm
The Many Facets of Happiness

I went on an outing with my children. Our main intention was to swim and for the children to have their fair share of recreation and of my quality time. It was also a chance fir me as a father, to have my rightful share of the joy of being with my children, for truly we need our children as much as they need us, if not more. I found myself busy on that day with all sorts of little tasks – like making sandwiches, setting the picnic table, and handing out sweets. It was a beautiful day to harvest some of the fruits of happiness just by enjoying ordinary activities in total relaxation and familiarity.

That day made me think about how much we, as people, speak about happiness. Hundreds of books are published every year to address the issue from a dry, philosophical standpoint. These works strive to define happiness and reveal its connection with factors like prosperity, pleasure, and our state of mind. There is considerable controversy about what brings about happiness and, more essentially, what it actually means to be happy. This leads to the more mundane questions of role that health, wealth, one's job, one's marriage, and being successful play in our chances for happiness.

We might fail to see that happiness is an inner state of our being, which comes into its being within ourselves, and is often connected with the most ordinary and seemingly insignificant events of our lives. It is the normal state of a person's mind when that person is enjoying an experience or an activity. Those of us who disdain engaging in some pleasant activities, or simply fail to admit our enjoyment of them – due to our preconceived notions of what is suitable for us as adults, or as elderly people, or as people of social prominence – need to rethink some of our ideas. We should not rob ourselves of life's small but significant pleasures.

Be like a small child and really enjoy that cup of tea you are drinking. Take time to taste it. The same goes for a piece of chocolate or your ordinary daily meal. Enjoy it. Enjoy eating alone and in the company of people you care about.

Allah says: "There is nothing wrong with you eating together or by yourselves." [Sûrah al-Nûr: 61]

Be like a child who looks forward excitedly to taking a ride. Look forward to pleasant things. Laugh at a funny joke without first examining it to deduce whether the humor of the joke holds up under close scrutiny. Look forward to your sleep. Recognize it as being Allah's blessing and a refreshment for your body and mind. Maybe you will dream about those you love.

Look forward to the activity that is ahead of you. Take pleasure in the accomplishment – however small – that completing your task provides you with. This can be said of reading a book, preparing a letter, a lesson that you attend, or a social event that you participate in.

Try to see the beauty of a flower in bloom, the fields of crops, a flowing stream, the sparrow's song, and a child in play. Do not block these things from your sight, thinking them to be unimportant. Indeed, our sense of importance and of what carries weight with us – this is one of the greatest obstacles to happiness. This is an affliction that we impose upon ourselves. We need no enemy to do this to us.

We are happiest when we are the least inhibited in acknowledging and expressing how we feel. This is the case whether we are in the company of those we know or those we do not know. Expressing our feelings should not carry with it a sense of dread as if we are disclosing the most sensitive of state secrets.

We are happiest when we shed our ostentation and inflated sense of self-importance, so we can really listen to ourselves and acknowledge our inner needs and aspirations.

We are happiest when we are not pining after unrealistic and overly idealistic dreams but look at our lives naturally, without shame, and without exaggerating things.

We are happiest when we focus keenly on the experience of the moment, taking note of the billions – nay trillions – of blessings that are right in front of us. Allah's generosity extends to each living cell of our bodies and to everything on the land, the air, and in the sea. His grace extends to all the intangibles as well, like those feelings and sensations that we cannot describe in physical terms. Faith is a good example, love, pleasure, the apprehension of language, longing, joy, hope…

We may be happiest of all when we realize that happiness is not a package we receive in the mail – either by design or fortune – nor is it a degree conferred upon us like a diploma. It is rather the felling of the moment, if we harvest well what that moment has to offer and resolve to make the best of it. It is when we shove aside despair, worry, fear, hatred, envy, and the other negative emotions that too often preoccupy our thoughts.

We are the happiest we can be when we choose to be happy.

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Forum Rating: 159
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 16 February 2010 at 3:27pm

True Happiness

Do you know what happiness is?

It has been defined as an agreeable feeling or condition of the soul arising from good fortune of any kind that is built on firm belief. Every person must have a goal they wish to attain, the more he is able to accomplish this goal, the greater his sense of happiness will be. Psychologists define happiness as a continuous feeling of enjoyment, satisfaction, generosity and delight, arising from contentment of one’s self, life and belief that they will have a blissful destiny.

Types of Happiness

From this definition we can categorize happiness into three categories:

First Category: False happiness, which lasts only for a short period of time. This form of happiness is the result of sudden good fortune. Many believe that happiness can be attained through drug or substance abuse and on account of this, consume drugs and liquor to avoid the problems of everyday life. They believe happiness is achieved initially by forgetting about the problems of life. Drug abuse gives one an illusion of happiness, which quickly dissipates when the drug is discontinued, plunging that individual into a state of complete misery. This would then drive him to acquire more drugs, and ultimately become captive to drugs and a helpless member of society. Furthermore, this individual would contract a number of psychological and physical diseases.

Second Category:
Happiness experienced when achieving goals. It is similar to the previous form of happiness in that it is short-lived, although it is less harmful than the previous form of happiness. When great efforts are exerted in attaining a goal and it is finally achieved one would wonder, what’s next? The pain one would experience after the climax and initial bout of happiness is somewhat similar to the pain experienced in the first category. In summary, this happiness is a short-lived experience, which at best makes one happy for a short period of time.

Third Category: True happiness. This form of happiness will remain with an individual under all circumstances; through delight and anguish, poverty and prosperity, sickness and health and whether or not one would attain of this world what they wish for or not. This happiness is the result of one’s firm belief.

(... to be continued)

Edited by Al-Cordoby - 16 February 2010 at 3:27pm
Think Win-Win for a better world for all...

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 17 February 2010 at 12:13pm

Contentment, happiness, and feelings of bliss, are some of the great feelings a Muslim experiences.

The scholar, Ibn Taymiyyah, may God have mercy on him, after being tortured, banished and imprisoned said: ‘What can my enemies do to me? My paradise and orchard are in my heart and they never part with me. If my captors imprison me it is most certainly a religious retreat, if they kill me it is martyrdom, and if they banish me from my land it is like tourism.’

These words are simply amazing. He was imprisoned and mistreated and still, this is what he said. A person true in his faith will be happy at all times. Islam will give a person a complete spiritual happiness and contentment regardless of their financial or social condition in life.

A true Muslim is happy in all circumstances, whether sick or healthy, rich or poor, or in a state of security or chaos. God, the Exalted, says:

(When disaster strikes them, they say, "Indeed we belong to Allah, and indeed to Him we will return. Those are the ones upon whom are blessings from their Lord and mercy and it is those who are the rightly guided.) (2:156-7)

The Messenger of God (peace be upon him) said:

(Amazing indeed is the affair of the believer, all his affairs are ultimately good for him and this is only for a believer. When he is graced with a blessing, he would be thankful and grateful to God and it would be good for him, and when he is afflicted with a calamity, he would be patient and it would be good for him.) (Hadith in Sahih Muslim)

( ... to be continued)

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 19 February 2010 at 1:38am

How to Attain True Happiness

True happiness is attained through a number of key fundamental beliefs:

The First Pillar: Belief in God and in His Oneness Whoever believes in Allah and in His Oneness will be guided to the path of happiness. His heart will be content, and he will live in a state of pure tranquility. ...

When man knows the greatness of His creator who has created all things and is capable over all things, he will become more humble. Nothing is like unto Him. ...

( ... to be continued)

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 21 February 2010 at 1:48am

The Sixth Pillar of Faith: Belief in Preordainment.

Belief in destiny will cause one to become happy and will put his heart at ease.

One would not fret or become upset over lost chances.

The Prophet (peace be upon him) said:

‘The strong believer is better and more beloved to Allah than the weak believer and in both there is goodness.

Be careful to do that which is beneficial to you and do not despair.

Indeed that which has befallen you cannot be avoided so do not say, ‘If I had done this or that,’ for indeed ‘if’ opens the gateways of the devil.’ (Muslim)

One should not despair over a missed opportunity. If one is to actually take a moment and look at common ailments, it will be clear that the majority of diseases are on account of worries that are widespread. In other words, they are a result, whether direct or indirect, of disbelief in this pillar. When one believes truthfully in this pillar they will be able, by the will of Allah, to overcome their worries and concerns

(... to be continued)

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 22 February 2010 at 3:35am
 We are encouraged in Islam to forgive when one wrongs us.

This action will cause love to spread in the community. Allah says:

Who spend [in the cause of Allah] during ease and hardship and who restrain anger and who pardon the people – and Allah loves the doers of good.(3:134)

We as Muslims have been ordered with something greater than all of this. We are to be kind when people are unkind towards us. This will rid an individual from the filth of hatred and fill him with happiness and the feeling of true brotherhood. Allah says:

And not equal are the good deed and the bad. Repel [evil] by that [deed] which is better; and thereupon the one whom between you and him is enmity [will become] as though he was a devoted friend.(41:34)

(... to be continued)

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 24 February 2010 at 1:57am

Keys to Happiness (Flash)

Happiness is the only goal on earth that all people without exception are seeking to attain. Believers and unbelievers alike seek to be happy, but each party is using different methods.

However, only believers can achieve genuine happiness ...

Find out why ...

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

a well wisher  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote a well wisher Replybullet Posted: 24 February 2010 at 3:06pm
Jazakh Allah Khair Brother Tarek

A beautiful presentation ...

Thank You for posting

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 26 February 2010 at 1:35am
Welcome sister

Satisfaction is achieved when one is pleased with what Allah has ordained.

When one distances himself from wanting what people have, and submits to the will of Allah, they will achieve pure satisfaction.

The Qur’anic texts and the Prophetic Traditions have a great impact in fostering such satisfaction in the chests of Muslims. The reason for this is so that they can live a peaceful life, far from enmities and hatred, which would result when one is not satisfied.

A person, who is satisfied in the manner mentioned above, will certainly live a happy life.

(... to be continued)

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 28 February 2010 at 1:31am

One should be pleased with what Allah has assigned for him, even if these things may be seemingly discomforting.

Allah says: O you who have believed, it is not lawful for you to inherit women by compulsion. And do not make difficulties for them in order to take [back] part of what you gave them unless they commit a clear immorality [i.e., adultery]. And live with them in kindness, for if you dislike them - perhaps you dislike a thing and Allah makes therein much good.(4:19)

It may be that something you dislike may be good for you, and you would know not.

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

<< Prev Page  of 17 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version