Hall of FameHall of Fame  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp  chatChat
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Questions and Discussions about Islam
 Whyislam.org Forums : WhyIslam : Questions and Discussions about Islam
Message Icon Topic: What are the Keys of Happiness in Islam? Post Reply Post New Topic
<< Prev Page  of 17 Next >>
Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Religion: Islam(Muslim)
Forum Rating: 159
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 02 March 2010 at 1:35am
One should forget about the past and think of the present and leave the future to Allah.

A famous writer wrote: ‘What has passed cannot be brought back, what you wish for is of the realm of the unseen. You have control over the things that happen in the hour that you are in. Thinking about the past will not bring it back, and thinking of the future will discourage you from doing what you have to do at present.’

We are also encouraged to give and expend in the path of Allah. Indeed happiness is in giving and not in receiving.

After you do something good, such as giving food to a poor person or giving clothing to a person in need of it, or helping someone out in a calamity, how do you feel?

Think Win-Win for a better world for all...

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

No Guest-Voting   IP IP Logged
Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 04 March 2010 at 1:53am

Good Friends

No one can deny the influence a friend has over another. It has been said in the common parable: ‘The Companion will drag you with him.’

Your friend will either drag you to goodness or to evil. He may be instrumental in you being happy or miserable.

The Messenger of Allah (peace be upon him) said:

"The example of a good companion and an evil one is like that of a perfume salesman and a blacksmith. A perfume salesman will either give you some perfume, sell it to you or at the very least you will smell a pleasant scent; whereas, a blacksmith will burn your clothes and in the very least you will smell a very unpleasant odor from him." (Bukhari)

A good companion will surely be a great help during times of hardship. He will help you when a disaster strikes and will remind you to be mindful of God when you forget. This is the opposite of a bad companion, for he will be the first to abandon you when you are in need

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

whirlwind  
Freshman
Freshman
Forum Rating: 0
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote whirlwind Replybullet Posted: 13 March 2010 at 11:19am
Assalamu'alaykum shaiykh. That was great post, it really did boost some hope within me. I have a number of problems that im facing right now other then insecurity in career-choice, chasing for worldly needs such as money so we can buy nice car, nice house, expensive clothes and so on (ive never had that perception til i entered uni at 17).

Let me briefly tell you about about what made me 'me' now. I am turning 22 yrs old soon. Back then when i was 14-19 years old, I used to be so naive and maybe out of touch with reality and i didnt believe that 'bad things' existed. For example i wouldnt believe that if i leave an expensive handphone at a public hang-out spot to make a quick loo-visit, the phone wouldnt get stolen. Or another example, if a stranger ask me out on a trip i wouldnt believe tht i would get raped or what so-ever. I was that NAIVE and im easily being fooled. I was out of touch with reality. I have always believed in Islam and that Islam is the right way but back then i wasnt really a practising muslim.

As a kid at age 14 and above my mom always emphasize on 5 time daily prayers and always remind me to pray everyday but i always give her the impression that i have prayed. I think the longest i havent observe the daily prayers was 3 months or maybe more . But recently now i have prayed daily except subuh being rare and there are times when im out with my non-religious frens, i would miss out my prayers.

At the age of 16 through 20 yrs old, my clothings became tighter and shorter and more skin-showing. i started going clubbing, with the influence of the people around me and being fooled into the 'modelling world' which i was encouraged to drink and from this journey til age 19 i end up into prostitutioning which i escaped after 3 weeks in it (i never imagine my life would be this way).

I was crying for help and guidance within myself, it took me quite a while to get out from that world i used to live in. While i was crying for help within myself, i was still partying, having dirty-fun, and somehow when i was fooled into the 'modelling world' which i end up into prostitutioning, i became more of a sexual person. I have lost all my dignity.

However, recently, being in the repentance state for almost 2 years now, i do feel that there are many times i dont feel 'khusyuk' when i fulfill Allah's obligatories. There are many times my heart is always being arrogant. My heart had always been arrogant since i was small and i hardly compliment and praise anyone with their great work or properties etc etc because i will be like 'who do you think you are?' and ive carried that til now (though slightly reduced) even when im worshipping Allah though ive struggle trying to combat that attitude of mine.

In my late teenage year i always thought that i was a 'dajjal', a 'satan', the 'worst human being' on earth and i was very scared and sad because i dont want to go to hell. I started to think that way of myself during ramadan 3-4 years back because i had always struggled fighting the evil-cursing voice in my heart, and knowing the fact that satan are all locked up in hell during ramadan, i was happy to know that fact but everything change when i realise that that evil voice was still there even in the month of ramadan. 

I am so tired of fighting that 'evilness' within myself. That evilness within me can go to the extent of cursing at Allah and there are times i feel like im purposely making Allah hates me. Everyday i ask for forgiveness. After realising ive commited so many sins like drinking and zina after prostitutioning, i started to change slowly 2 years ago and still seeking in the continuation to change into a better muslim, i started to observe the hijab, and ive stopped drinking and goin to clubs for 2 years already, i read the quran and i zikr alot. There are times something triggered an 'ostentation' within me and there be times i'll go mad if i commited shirk. Im tired of fighting the evilness within me.      

Seriously im facing alot of problems but not as worst as before or maybe it is. I dont know. Am i going through some sort of adverse effect or something . Maybe somewhere deep within me i dont have that high-level of fear for Allah but i have a GREAT fear in the hell-fire. I dont want to be the worst creature in Allah's sight. One thing for sure is that im tired of fighting the evil within me and i feel like giving up but i know i cant do that because i know i probably end up in the worst of journey again. Im tired of fighting the evilness within me through askin forgiveness, zikr, reading the quran. How do i remove that evil voice within my heart? how can i make my heart, mind, body and soul kushuk when im worshipping Allah? Please help me and pray for me strengths and courage before i end up in the hellfire. 

*~ broken soul *~
Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 13 March 2010 at 12:41pm
Assalamo Alaikom sister and welcome to the forum

I'm afraid this forum does not have a Sheikh, we are only introducing Islam to those interested

Change takes time, and gaining inner peace from Salah is a process which does not happen in 1 or 2 days. Eventually, you will find that you will get more benefit and peace, and the important thing is to maintain the 5 daily prayers on a regular basis

Good friends are also very important to help you stay on the Straight Path, so I recommend you do your best to keep close to friends who pray and who can support you on your journey.

What is also very important is to learn more about Islam each day or at least each week. If there is a Muslim speaker you like to listen to, learn as much as you can either by attending lessons at the masjid, or by listening to his recorded talks

Once you gain more knowledge of our religion, it will be easier for you to overcome the evil thoughts which may come to mind, and gradually you will find it easier to gain inner peace

Hope all goes well, and if you have any questions please post and we'll do our best to find the answers

May Allah increase you in faith, knowledge and peace

Ameen

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

a well wisher  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote a well wisher Replybullet Posted: 14 March 2010 at 6:37pm
Bismillah

Assalaamualekum Sister and welcome to the forum....it is nice to have you among us...

I would like to add something....I hope thats ok with you

Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) has said that... All the children of Adam err, and the best of those who err are the oft repenting....we all have our sins Sister....all of us make mistakes...all of us have our own struggles, our own darknesses but the thing one should always remember is that Allah swt is very near to us...we may not feel Him to be close but He is there...its just that our perceptions are clouded by the dust of our sins and sometimes despair at not achieving tangible results...you know the feeling that you are struggling with...that something is eluding you which you are trying to grasp is in itself a positive sign...that means you are just encountering static while tuning in to the frequency...if you keep trying sincerely you will get the connection Insha Allah....Satan takes upon himself to make people turn away from repentence as it wipes out all previous sins and Allah swt not only accepts  but is overjoyed with the return of His servant so the fact that you are encountering problems is itself a sign that you are getting closer to Him...Masha Allah you have been in this state for two years...give your self some credit for resisting the dark forces and give yourself some time as well.....maybe you can start a journal and write all your feelings in it...how about writing to Allah swt....really talking to Him, asking Him , consulting Him...yes the best way is Salaah no doubt...but if you can develop this habit of pouring your heart to Allah ...you will feel closer to Him Insha Allah...

Developing Khushu is an ongoing process Sister and at times it waxes and wanes...if our focus is to please Him  under all circumstances then we get a slight shift in perspective and even if there is no Khushu it should not deter us or dishearten us....just make Dua to Him Sister...May Allah swt give you the peace and connection that you are striving for Aameen...

Please don't think that you are a dajjal or anything....in Ramadan not all Satans are chained...each of us has a voice in our soul that encourages us to do wrong things just as there is a voice that encourages good and pure things so those voices are with us in Ramadan as well... amongst all confusion, you still craved Him and  tried to change your lifestyle actively...it was  pretty damaging if you really envision it in the long run...you have seen the worst of it and the purity in your soul tells you that the answers do not lie there...peace and happiness comes when we are at peace with our actions...if our actions hurt us or others...it is not possible to be at peace for long...

How can you be the worst creature in Allah's sight if you have the inclination to repent...if you can see your mistakes , isn't that in itself a realization that He doesn't wish you to be in the state you were in?!...He is very Merciful....... He loves those who repent ...

The trick is not to give too much attention to the evil voice in your heart...how about arranging your time in such a manner so that you don't get time to pay attention to your thoughts...what are your hobbies Sister...how about volunteering to do a community project or something... helping others is another way to get closer to Him...He loves those who serve His creation...it will also help that arrogance problem Insha Allah...

In the meantime Brother Al Cardoby has given you some excellent advice...try to find good people and stay with them, spend time with your family and make Dua to Him continuously and learn about Islam at your own pace.... Treat all of your tasks, however small, as opportunities to see Him and to serve Him....and insha Allah you will come to love Him Aameen...

May Allah swt make everything easy for you and increase you in faith, strength, wisdom, hope and peace aameen... We are always here if you need us... Please do keep in touch

Take care...May God Bless you

Fi Aman Allah

La ilaha ill-Allah, Muhammadur Rasulullah
whirlwind  
Freshman
Freshman
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote whirlwind Replybullet Posted: 15 March 2010 at 3:39pm
Assalamualaykum to both 'Al-cordoby' and 'a well wisher'. Thank you for taking your time to understand my situation and its a relief for me to know that someone is there helping me stand up and made me continue to reach for Allah swt on my own again and alhamdullilah my heart is more relaxed and i feel like ive gained more strengths to continue on my journey to sucess in this world and the hereafter.

Ive had plan to write a journal about a year ago about my feelings and struggles with my life but i've never had a proper time to start on it but writing on this post did 'kick me' to start somewhere soon.

I dont have a hobby but i recently started doing part-time job since last month at a tuition centre teaching pre-school kids. I teach 3 times a week. Though it started as stressful at first, its progressing into more of a rewarding state. Teaching sure does keeps the evil voice and thoughts coming into my head. I would love to help the orphanage and the poors but i dont know how and where to start since my 2 years of struggle reaching for Allah. The surau near my house looks pretty empty and hardly any women, and i dont think they speak english and thus i dont know how to approach them.

I have difficulty making friends especiially the 'good ones'. I have to say most of the people i surround in are not practising muslims or should i say 'ignorants'. Some of them follow cultures rather than following sunnahs and some of them just want to have fun fun fun. Honestly, ive been longing for a need of good practising muslim-sisters friends. However, during my early stage of progress of changing into a better person, there was 3 descent hijab girls from middle-east in my uni who seem wanting to bring me into their surroundings but i didnt let myself in and i had lost my chance of making good frens! I dont have anymore classes and im  graduating soon and i dont see them anymore and so are they. See, im terrible at making friends with good religious people. Would they want to accept me as their friends anyways because i feel like they would see me as 'dirty' and summore my knowledge in islam is lacking.

Please do keep praying for me to be successful, happy, increase and firm faith, hope, peace and wisdom.

Once again, thanks a milion for your warm care, courage and advice. JazakAllah ( i hope thats the right saying).

Assalamu 'alaykum

*~ broken soul *~
a well wisher  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote a well wisher Replybullet Posted: 15 March 2010 at 7:57pm
Wa alekum assalaam wa rehmatullahi wabarkatuhu  Sister Whirlwind:)

I am happy to know that you are feeling relieved....Alhumdulillah...May Allah swt make your journey easy and fill it with peace Aameen...you have Masha Allah been quiet strong Sister and insha Allah with your intention to reach  Allah swt sincerely, you will find help along your path for sure...He always accords us with His grace by giving clues and signposts in our journey...our job is to keep our hearts open and to steadfastly persevere and then His help arrives in many ways and form...we just have to be patient

No need to say thank you sister...Its a pleasure to be of any help

Maintaining a journal of your thoughts will really help you sort out many things...writing to Allah swt is also a form of supplication...you can tell Him your fears, your dreams, your problems and  ask for help and guidance... whom He guides , none can misguide...try to feel His presence in your life and hand over all the unnecessary luggage that weighs you down to Him...you will feel a lot different Insha Allah

Masha Allah that's great that you are teaching preschoolers....they must be keeping you on your toes:)I love kids...they always have this vibrancy and undying wonder in them...Insha Allah being around them will definitely be good for your spirit and its a fact that we end up learning a lot from them...they have such a simple and amazing way to look at things...one cannot help but be happy around them...from the little Malay I know "sarau" means mosque right?...Malaysians are very friendly people Sister...I have family in Malaysia and I don't know Malaysian language at all apart from a few words I have picked up but with their rudimentary English and sometimes even with no English they have this amazing way to get their warmth and message across...maybe you can just approach those sisters in the mosque and ask them if you can contribute to any community project...try to be close to your family specially your mom...your university education is coming to an end but wherever you go next, try to find good company and make dua for it...

Its true that its difficult to approach others but sometimes we are pleasantly surprised:)Maybe people around you currently don't know much about Islam....all of us are ignorant on some issues but think of it this way....maybe they never got a chance to really think deeply about stuff in life and even about their faith...in a way you can help others by being someone who can share your thoughts on life and about Islam with them ...We as Muslims are not opposed to the idea of fun but not the kind that would make us heedless... that fun seems to be the easier option at times or a means of escape but not all people do what they do consciously  and so maybe you will find good people even among the ignorant...you can be their light maybe:)You can never lose your chance of being a good friend....just be sincere and try to give your best even if its a bit difficult and insha Allah you will make a conduit for others to find a friend in you ...don't think low of yourself..... whoever repents sincerely is like someone who never committed that sin and remorse and regret only comes with sincere repentance....make a firm resolve to never return to your previous lifestyle...keep the lesson but let go of the pain

All of us are students of Islam Sister...We all know very little about it but its important to grow gradually and systematically in our learning...you can start by reading stuff on this website itself...so in a few days you will catch up with us and maybe get ahead even insha Allah... true knowledge is the one we implement in our lives and  may Allah swt make it easy on all of us to do that Aameen...try to read some Qur'an daily with the translation and explanation if you can...make Qur'an your constant companion even if it be only a few verses ...infact a Qur'an Journal is a great way to go as well...Keep a Qur'an journal of the moments when certain verses click and become real in your life...

There are some wonderful lectures in English by various scholars on this forum itself in the Learn about Islam section which can help you increase your Islamic Knowledge

Also there is this book posted by Brother Al Cardoby in the Learn about Islam section and  Islamic Book Review thread called

Don't Be Sad - A Book about Happiness

By Aaidh ibn Abdullah al-Qarni

Its a great book... try to read that in your free time if you can

Don't worry...We do pray for you that you come out successful in both the worlds  and that you gain happiness,  faith, hope, peace ,wisdom and His good pleasure Aameen...Keep us in your prayers as well....If you have any questions or anything that you would like to share then please don't ever hesitate to get in touch with us...We will try our best to answer your questions...you can PM me if you want....I am here for you Insha Allah in case you want to discuss anything

Its always easier to give advice but I know it is difficult to  implement it ....just don't lose hope at any stage and NEVER give up OK...His help is always near...be sure to call to Him

Jazakh Allah Khair:)yes that's the right thing to say

Terimah Kasi Sister ....Take care and May God Bless you

All the best

Edited by a well wisher - 11 April 2010 at 8:02pm
a well wisher  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote a well wisher Replybullet Posted: 16 March 2010 at 10:56am

What Is Happiness?

Like any perception of reality, happiness is a state of mind that is influenced by ones quality of life. At the same time, ones quality of life is not determined by material things. If happiness is dependent on stimuli external to you, then it a temporary state. At the same time, the petri glass for nurturing bad mental health is isolating ones self from life. So, as much as you want to be left alone, isolating yourself from others is only going to magnify how you are feeling. In the halal things that Allah (SWT) has given to us in the form of creation, there is must benefit, healing and balance that can be obtained for ones self development. When one is 'awake', one is in communication with the hidden messages of life.

You say that you have been "deprived of happiness", but how many people with less gain pleasure from the laughter of a child, the smell of a rose, the sound of the Qur`an recited in proper Tajwid, being in service to those we love/in need, from the gentle touch of a breeze, the sight of the sea, the blessings of good company? You have obviously expected happiness to come from outside of yourself, with you the recipient. This kind of desire is rooted in the nafs an-ammarah bi`s-su (the self-comanding soul) (12: 53), which is dominated by the earthly senses and thus selfish. Of course you can never be happy, because the nafs an-ammarah bi`s-su is always looking for self gratification. 

Body-Based Happiness

This lowest level of relative happiness relates to the more animalistic nature of human beings, such as experiences of happiness that come from the satisfaction of raw desires.  People who are stuck in this level of happiness tend to be ravenous and are always looking for immediate pleasures, without much regard for troubling consequences.  

Mind-Based Happiness

The second level of relative happiness involves a bit more intelligence.  You look to create a good life, and are willing to forgo some of the more animalistic, instinctual, and self-indulgent pleasures in order to achieve greater long-term happiness.   For example, you're willing to go to work every day so you can have a home and enjoy the good things in life.

Heart-Based Happiness

The third level of happiness has more of a spiritual element.  You've purified your understanding, awareness, and motives enough that your happiness comes from greater things, such as love, devotion, and service to humanity and to those you love.  On this level, you may also begin to taste the nectar of spiritual happiness streaming forth.

Which would you prefer?

Read more: http://www.islamonline.net/servlet/Satellite?pagename=IslamOnline-English-Cyber_Counselor%2FCyberCounselingE%2FCyberCounselingE&cid=1163656917277#ixzz0iLMqD4UR

Edited by a well wisher - 16 March 2010 at 10:59am
Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 23 March 2010 at 3:00am

The Many Facets of Happiness

We might fail to see that happiness is an inner state of our being, which comes into its being within ourselves, and is often connected with the most ordinary and seemingly insignificant events of our lives. It is the normal state of a person's mind when that person is enjoying an experience or an activity. Those of us who disdain engaging in some pleasant activities, or simply fail to admit our enjoyment of them – due to our preconceived notions of what is suitable for us as adults, or as elderly people, or as people of social prominence – need to rethink some of our ideas. We should not rob ourselves of life's small but significant pleasures.

Be like a small child and really enjoy that cup of tea you are drinking. Take time to taste it. The same goes for a piece of chocolate or your ordinary daily meal. Enjoy it. Enjoy eating alone and in the company of people you care about.

Allah says: "There is nothing wrong with you eating together or by yourselves." [Sûrah al-Nûr: 61]

Be like a child who looks forward excitedly to taking a ride. Look forward to pleasant things. Laugh at a funny joke without first examining it to deduce whether the humor of the joke holds up under close scrutiny. Look forward to your sleep. Recognize it as being Allah's blessing and a refreshment for your body and mind. Maybe you will dream about those you love.

Look forward to the activity that is ahead of you. Take pleasure in the accomplishment – however small – that completing your task provides you with. This can be said of reading a book, preparing a letter, a lesson that you attend, or a social event that you participate in.  ...

http://en.islamtoday.net/artshow-242-544.htm

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 28 March 2010 at 4:26am

Bringing About Happiness

Happiness cannot be purchased with gold and silver. It is far more precious than that.

Happiness is like a pearl in the depths of the sea. Only the most expert diver who knows how to seek it out will find it.

Happiness is a good meeting, a nice word, a dream, a realistic yet positive attitude towards life.

Look into yourself. Somewhere in the depths of your own soul lies your happiness.

Let us ask what is meant by happiness. A poll was conducted where 16,000 people had to answer what happiness meant to them.

- Thirty-eight percent of the respondents said that happiness is brought about by love.

- Twenty-eight percent said that happiness is contentment.

- Seventeen percent said that happiness is health.

- Seven percent claimed that happiness is to be found in marriage.

- Five percent responded that happiness is wealth.

- Three percent said that happiness is brought about through children.

- Two percent replied that travel brings them happiness.

The Arab writer, `Abbâs Mahmûd al-`Uqqâd once mentioned that he had an artist friend who liked to imagine things and depict them in drawings. One day, he imagined happiness and drew it as a twenty-year-old girl skipping about in a lively and energetic manner, her hair flying to the right and left, in extreme joy and playfulness. When the artist showed it to `Abbâs, the writer said:

This is not how I imagine happiness to be. Firstly, what you have depicted might have been described as play, amusement, or enjoyment. Happiness is something else entirely. Happiness is closer in meaning to experience and knowledge than it is to thoughtlessness, adolescence, and ignorance. It is closer to a more advanced age than it is to that age which is full of the delights of youth, vigor, and strength.

Secondly, happiness is closely connected to meanings like contentment, tranquility, and sobriety. It is not expressed as riotous and noisy behavior. Happiness is a matter of taste, emotion, and perception within a person – within his heart and his inner self.

Happiness cannot be formally defined like a scientific term. It can not be delineated and quantified

It may be that happiness comes knocking on our door but since we do not recognize it, we do not open the door for it. It is possible for a person to live in full mental, spiritual, and physical happiness, and not even realize it. We can look at the happiness of small children. They are happy in their lives of innocence, play, and simplicity. However, they very likely do not realize it. When they grow up and start reading and hearing about this notion called happiness, they begin searching for it like it is something lost. ...

http://en.islamtoday.net/artshow-242-451.htm

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

a well wisher  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote a well wisher Replybullet Posted: 31 March 2010 at 7:01pm
You Have More Than You Think---Do You Have a Door?

There was an old woman who lived with her only child in a simple, roofless room at the top of an old building. The door of the room was in a very bad state, and it did not work well. Getting bored with fixing it, the woman took it off and put it against one of the walls.

This may be endurable in summer, but what about winter? How can this woman and her little child spend a rainy, cold winter in such a room with no roof or even door?

Winter came with its freezing winds and rain. One day, the sky became cloudy, and it began to heavily rain, directly on the heads of the woman and her child. Unlike other people who had impenetrable roofs and who could protect themselves against rain by closing their doors and windows, this old woman had no shelter to protect her and her little boy.

The helpless woman found nowhere to escape the heavy rain except that broken, useless door. She took her child tightly in her arms and shrank beneath the leaning door, which now proved very useful.

Luckily, the rain did not last for a long time; it stopped soon and the sun came up again. Happy with this simple shelter that protected them from getting wet, the boy said to his mother, "Praise be to Allah that we have this door, Mom. What can those who do not have such a door do?"

This innocent child felt so content and satisfied with such conditions that many of us may consider as bad. That was because he looked at the full half of the cup, not the empty one. We all should act likewise, if we are to achieve a true sense of happiness and contentment.

To be grateful servants of Almighty Allah, we have to look at the full half of the cup and look for the hidden blessings in our lives. We should think of those who have less than what we have, not those who have more....

Read more: http://www.islamonline.net/servlet/Satellite?c=Article_C&cid=1264249722283&pagename=Zone-English-Living_Shariah%2FLSELayout#ixzz0jn2HTSnv

Edited by a well wisher - 31 March 2010 at 7:01pm
Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 04 April 2010 at 4:25am
Obstacles to Happiness

Some of the obstacles that get in our way of attaining the happiness that we desire.
The first of these is envy. Happiness is impossible for a person whose heart is engaged in the envy of others. How can a person hope to be happy when he sees Allah’s blessings being bestowed other and feels hostility towards them because of it? ...

The second obstacle to happiness is greed. An avaricious person can never find contentment, even if the whole world were placed at his feet.

The third obstacle to happiness is boredom. Monotonous repetition, even of the most pleasant and beautiful things, is tiresome. ...

The fourth obstacle to happiness is a sense of sinfulness. The sins that a person has committed and those that he is in the habit of committing can prevent him from being happy. Many people, whenever they try to feel happy or try to sleep, they find their sins coming to haunt them. They think about the unlawful sights their eyes gazed upon, the unjust things that they had spoken, or the evil pleasures that they indulged in for an hour.

We must learn how to deal with our mistakes so that we do not become vanquished by our sins. We need to constantly and earnestly seek the forgiveness of our Lord. We should know that none of us will find salvation on account of our deeds, but only by the grace of Allah. ...

The fifth obstacle to happiness is a feeling of repression or of being treated unjustly. ...

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

a well wisher  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote a well wisher Replybullet Posted: 05 April 2010 at 10:11am
Constructive Positivism

Anas (May Allah be pleased with him) reported that the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) said, If the Hour (the day of Resurrection) is about to be established and one of you was holding a palm shoot, let him take advantage of even one second before the Hour is established to plant it.

The spirit of constructive positivism and active endeavor is one of the principles stressed by Sunnah. This spirit should control the Muslim’s mind, senses, thought, and conduct. It symbolizes interest in deeds rather than verbal eloquence and rhetoric. It lays great importance on construction rather than destruction, and in lighting candles rather than cursing darkness.

This positive orientation is quite evident in the above hadith, that calls for exerting one’s utmost until the very last moment of one’s life even though the Last Hour is established or is about to be. Now, why should a Muslim use this precious moment in planting a palm shoot? Why should he busy himself with it, when the Last Hour is established or is about to be, notwithstanding the fact that neither he nor anyone else is going to benefit from it? How come he wastes that invaluable second of the establishment of the Hour in planting a palm shoot that will not yield before years to come?

This tiny shoot is a symbol of the value of activity per se. A Muslim worships Allah through his work in constructing and developing the land. He is to keep on working until his last breath.

This positive orientation is evident in elevating the mastery of one’s work to the level of obligation and worship. Encouraging Muslims to attain the highest degree of quality and perfection in their work, the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) told us that Allah likes one to perfect one’s work, no matter how big or small this work.

This principle appears in many hadiths that prohibit cursing and swearing. Even with regard to Satan, the open enemy to humans, we are ordered not to waste a moment in cursing him; rather, we should busy ourselves with more useful and fruitful acts such as remembering Allah and seeking His support and help. Abu Hurairah reported that the Prophet said, “Do not abuse Satan, but seek Allah’s Refuge from his evil” (Sahih al-Jami` as-Saghir).

Cursing Satan is futile. Instead, one should remember Allah the Exalted and seek His refuge from the evils of Satan. One of the most famous hadiths concerning this matter is as follows: Abu Tamimah Al-Hujaimi reported: One day as I was riding behind the Prophet on a donkey, it stumbled and I shouted, “Let Satan perish!” The Prophet said, “Do not say ‘let Satan perish,’ for if you say so he will feel important and haughty and he will say, ‘I thwarted him with my power!’ Instead say, ‘In the name of Allah,’ so that he will (feel humiliated and) be smaller than a fly” (Sahih at-Targhib wat-Tarhib).

This means that the devil becomes puffed up with pride whenever one curses him or invokes Allah against him. However, when one remembers Allah and ignores Satan, then Satan feels dwarfish and grovels. Certainly, pronouncing “in the name of Allah” is a positive act because it means that one is remembering Allah and seeking His refuge; whereas saying “let Satan perish” is a negative act, as it does not offer solutions nor achieve anything; thus Satan rejoices on hearing it.

a well wisher  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote a well wisher Replybullet Posted: 11 April 2010 at 8:21pm
When Freedom Hinders the Pursuit of Happiness

In a modern democratic society, freedom is often equated with happiness; that is, in order to attain true happiness one must be free. But when speaking of "freedom" from an Islamic perspective, we must specify what type of freedom we are talking about: freedom of the self or freedom from the self?

Secular humanists will champion freedom of the self as an essential component to attaining happiness.

But Islam, on the other hand, champions freedom from the self as a means to attaining happiness in this life and the hereafter.

"Our sense of freedom is governed by the well being that results from that freedom. If freedom results in harm to self or to others... then that's not true freedom in a sense, because that freedom leads to bondage, leads to harm. And when you are harmed, you are not free."

An essential Prerequisite of happiness is the understanding of the role of man in this world and his position and function as a servant of Allah on the one hand and a trustee of Allah on earth on the other hand. Thus, man would be ruled and guided by divine light and would behave with a sense of responsibiliy So a Muslim strives to make the best of his time to produce for himself and other people what is useful for them and to prepare himself for the future both in this life and in the Hereafter.

A basic Islamic principle of faith is related to harmony in this universe. Many scientists and thinkers believe that there is a conflict between man and nature and that man is struggling to overcome the powers of nature. Islam corrects this shortsighted notion. It states that everything in this world has been created to serve man, and man has been created to serve Allah. Therefore, the relationship between man and the universe is one of harmony and friendliness. This fact imbues man with peace of mind, satisfaction and happiness. It also frees his mind from worries, fears and feeling of hostility. His life would become inspired with love, hope, optimism, contentment and happiness that would enable him to face hardships with confidence and right discretion.

<< Prev Page  of 17 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version