Hall of FameHall of Fame  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp  chatChat
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Learn about Islam
 Whyislam.org Forums : Learn About Islam : Learn about Islam
Message Icon Topic: Zakah: The Social Pillar of Islam Post Reply Post New Topic
<< Prev Page  of 4
Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Religion: Islam(Muslim)
Forum Rating: 159
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 20 February 2014 at 3:33am

Toward a Better Understanding of Islam

Zakah for Social Justice

One of the Quran’s major themes is social justice for those whom society disadvantages and compassion for the vulnerable...

This is no utopian call. On the contrary, it is a minimum acceptable moral standard for a working human community. Zakah plays a key role in bringing about such a model society. It not only enshrines the right of help for the community’s needy, facilitating ongoing support from the rich to the poor, but, in so doing, it builds a relationship of consideration and appreciation between society’s members.

Zakah is the substance that binds every Muslim to every other by way of their obligation to one another in God. Islam builds its community out of human obligation toward each other, making each Muslim accountable for the wellbeing of every other Muslim.

This concept of reciprocal social obligation is called takaful, meaning “mutual responsibility” and it is strongly bolstered by the fact that the Zakah (almsgiving) is an act of mandatory worship. The tenet of mutual responsibility helps Muslims envision their society like an extended family...

http://www.onislam.net/english/reading-islam/understanding-islam/worship/zakah-and-charity/456271-zakah-for-social-justice-.html

Think Win-Win for a better world for all...

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

No Guest-Voting   IP IP Logged
Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 20 May 2014 at 3:44am

Zakah and Distributive Justice

Islam doesn’t insist on superficial and full equality where everyone must give the same amount. In the mean time it tries to work to reduce the gaps between rich and poor so that it allows for initiative but also looks after the needs of those who are in need.

A second economic aspect is that Zakah being a regular annual determined thing provides for a stable source of income for the State to meet certain expenses and needs.

A third aspect which is not as clear but is very important because of its economic implications is that by its very nature the system of Zakah forces the individual to invest his money and discourages hoarding of money...

http://www.onislam.net/english/reading-islam/research-studies/islamic-thought/472621-zakah-and-distributive-justice.html

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 17 October 2014 at 3:09pm

Do You Think of Others Before Yourself?

(A Muslim Woman's Reflections on Charity)

When I was young, my father used to repeatedly tell me a story of an uncle of mine who was one of the most generous persons my father had ever met.

He was a man who didn't seem to know the existence of the word "selfish."

He would help others out, even though he wasn't in a good position to do so at that time.

It was said that once my uncle gave away 50 cents to help another person who was in dire need. You may scoff, right?

50 cents? So what?

Well, 50 cents was a whole lot of money back then in the 1940s. But that's not even the point. There is something more significant here. He gave away 50 cents when he only had a dollar with him!

I did ponder on the beautiful and kind heart he seemed to possess. What made him give away half of what he had in his pocket at that time, knowing very much that he might need the money later?

What triggered him to do such a kind act?

Wasn't he afraid that he wouldn't be able to replace what he had given away?...

http://www.onislam.net/english/reading-islam/understanding-islam/worship/zakah-and-charity/443029-thinking-of-others-before-yourself.html

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 08 September 2015 at 7:24am

Significance of Giving Zakah in Islam

A recent interview with Dr. Tariq Ramadan on the importance of Zakah in Islam

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPYaD0wBf8c

(25 minutes)

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 17 November 2015 at 1:50am

This is the Sign for Giving

Ever wondered why we are promised that our wealth will never decrease as a result of charity? ...

I recently went to donate blood. The blood that you give can help to save up to three people, at no cost to your self. Your body regenerates ‘new’ blood, and you can donate again in 3 or 4 months.

Think about this: A small amount of blood from one person can save up to THREE people. That is one small action that goes a long way; and for the parents of the child being saved, your action is worth everything in the world. And your body, all by itself, restocks its blood supply without you having to do anything...

Never belittle a small action, because Allah will take it far.

Nothing good that you do will ever go to waste, and it will come back to you multiplied...

http://www.virtualmosque.com/islam-studies/islam-101/belief-and-worship/this-is-the-sign-for-giving/

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 16 October 2016 at 3:16am

Poverty alleviation by Zakah in a transitional economy: a small business entrepreneurial framework

zakah has significant bearing on the conditions of zakah recipients and lie the foundation of developing small business entrepreneurship by mobilizing zakah as seed money (investment) and not as spent money (consumption).

http://link.springer.com/article/10.1186/s40497-015-0025-8

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 05 November 2016 at 6:02am

Zakah: Building Bonds of Brotherhood

Human beings need wealth in order to survive and thrive. That is the simple truth.

A Pillar of Faith

Islam has five basic pillars, which uphold the foundation of the faith for a believer. They are: belief in monotheism, establishing daily prayers, giving obligatory charity, fasting in Ramadan each year, and performing Hajj (the pilgrimage) once in a lifetime.

Without the practice of these pillars, the faith of a Muslim is at high risk of becoming weak and, eventually, collapsing.

One thing that is noteworthy, is that the only pillar of Islam involving no outward rituals or bodily worship of Allah, but instead entailing only dealings between Muslims, is Zakah...

http://aboutislam.net/reading-islam/living-islam/zakah-building-bonds-brotherhood/

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 09 May 2017 at 7:02am
Zakah as a Means of Purification with Shaykh Joe Bradford

This is a recent Friday speech in Boston by Sheikh Bradford on the importance of Zakah

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SLceD1bfZ0

(27 minutes)

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 03 June 2017 at 5:41am
Professing Love Through Charity and Levels of Giving

Ustadh Amjad highlights one of the wisdoms of giving charity. He explains that it is a sign and indication of loving Allah.

The lover is always willing to give and sacrifice for the sake of the beloved.

Ustadh Amjad also tells us about the highest level of giving, which is unconditional.

He gives an example of Abu Bakr as-Siddiq (may Allah be pleased with him).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMw_hX0olB8

(2 minutes)

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 04 June 2017 at 7:20am
Zakat & Charity - Renewing Religion: An Overview of Ghazali's Ihya

Ustadh Amjad Tarsin gives an overview of the chapter on zakat (alms) and charity from the Ihya Ulum al-Din (Renewing the Religious Sciences), the fifth chapter.

He highlights the adaab (etiquettes) of giving charity that Imam Al-Ghazali mentions in this chapter.

Ustadh Amjad also emphasizes the importance of learning the fiqh (legal rulings) of giving zakat, as well as all the other actions of worship that are personally obligatory.

Imam Ghazali says about zakat that it is one of the tests that Allah has placed for the believers. It is also one of the foundational pillars of Islam.

Imam Ghazali then says that one of the wisdoms of the obligation of zakat, is because wealth is beloved to people. So sacrificing what is beloved for the sake of Allah is a sign and indication of loving Him.

He then goes to outline the different levels of people who give charity. The highest level is to give everything for the sake of Allah Most High, unconditionally.

At that level, Ustadh Amjad recounts the example of Abu Bakr as-Siddiq (may Allah be pleased with him), who gave all of his wealth to the Prophet peace and blessings be upon him for the benefit of the Muslims.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6webV4O6hbE

(22 minutes)

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 20 August 2017 at 3:49am
Originally posted by Al-Cordoby

Zakah as a Means of Purification with Shaykh Joe Bradford

This is a recent Friday speech in Boston by Sheikh Bradford on the importance of Zakah

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SLceD1bfZ0

(27 minutes)

Simple Zakat Guide

By Joe Bradford

Simple Zakat Guide explains the rules and reasons of Zakat. Step by step worksheets are provided for every section.

Topics include everything from Zakat liable assets, expense deductions, 401k and other retirement accounts, how to account for Haram earnings, how to calculate Nisab, in addition to the basics of Islamic charitable ethics.

This second edition of the book contains additional information about HSA and FSA accounts. Simple Zakat Guide seeks to be an accessible middle ground for those wanting to learn clearly and concisely about how and why to give charitably in Islamic Law.

Simple Zakat Guide is not just a book, but an interactive workbook that covers not just how to calculate your Zakat but why, with just enough info for you to make an educated decision on how to calculate it. Every chapter ends with a worksheet and all worksheets are included at the end for use year after year.

https://www.joebradford.net/book/simple-zakat-guide/

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 17 October 2017 at 6:00am
Inspired By Muhammad - Social Justice

Dr. Myriam Francois Cerrah summarizes aspects of social justice in Islam, as practiced by Prophet Muhammad, peace be upon him

(4 minutes)

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 15 June 2018 at 3:53am
Fast Reminders: Charity

A brief reminder by Imam Zaid Shakir on the importance of giving charity in Ramadan

The Prophet Muhammad (peace and blessings be upon him) was more generous than the free blowing wind. He was the most charitable of people at all times, especially in Ramadan.

(4 minutes)

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

<< Prev Page  of 4
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version